‘Better Call Saul’ Actor Todd Latourette Admits He Sawed Off His Own Arm To Impersonate A War Vet Fo

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    rgambs said:
    Mental illness caused him to cut off his arm?  I would think that is psychotic but maybe that is part of mental illness?
    I’m not sure what you are getting at. Psychosis is a state involving symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations. Psychosis can be part of bipolar disorder as well as lots of other mental illnesses. It’s a syndrome, not a diagnosis on its own. 
    What I'm getting at is if you choose to take a skillsaw to your own arm to cut it off that would be "psychotic" and apparently a cause of that is mental illness.  

Who knew?
    WTF else would make you cut your arm off?  

I wasn't aware that being psycho was a symptom of MA.. I thought it was in a league of it's own.

A really good hallucinogenic could make you cut an appendage off too.
    How are you using the word “psycho”?  Doesn’t seem like you are using it in the medical sense. 
    Psycho as in short for psychotic.

Like njnancy says “psycho” is just a slang term. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambs said:
    Seen and smelled, in fact.  Another hurdle lol
    What does an amputation smell like?

The only time I've smelled anything out of the ordinary was when I cut the bladder on accident.  That smells.  Everything else wasn't  bad at all.
    what the hell is "cut the bladder"???
    When removing the innards you don't want to cut the bladder open because it stinks.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    Makes you feel sorry for all those who did it for free, coulda had $10M.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I'd give my right arm to be famous.
    Reminds me of the conversation my family had last Christmas (because we're a bit weird) about whether or not we'd agree to get genital herpes for $10 million. :lol:
    WTF?
    Yeah, we lack filters, lol.
    Well don't leave us hanging, would you??

I would, no hesitation.  Financial security for my son's entire life... that's a no-brainer for me.
    Still though, eeeeewwww.
    I said absolutely yes. That shit isn't curable, but it's treatable, lol. I think I got a psycho-socio-economic lesson that day though. My bro-in-law is totally rich, so he and my sister said they wouldn't even take it for $100 million.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    mace1229 said:
    I know a girl (in my wife's family) who has it. it ain't no picnic. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I'd give my right arm to be famous.
    Reminds me of the conversation my family had last Christmas (because we're a bit weird) about whether or not we'd agree to get genital herpes for $10 million. :lol:
    So, who said yes? 

:lol:

Edit: just realized that this sounds like I’m offering! Not what I meant. 
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229 said:
    Is there different degrees of herpes?
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    Yes there are. Some people have terrible breakouts, others not so much, and some barely at all, and treatment can be much more effective for some than for others. Also, I have an ex-boyfriend who was a herpes medical researcher, and he told me that they have a cure for it all figured out, but the pharmaceutical companies make too much from just treating a life long disease, so the cure has never been developed for the public. Of course, I'm sure this isn't surprising to any of you.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    mace1229 said:
    no clue.  
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Yes there are. Some people have terrible breakouts, others not so much, and some barely at all, and treatment can be much more effective for some than for others. Also, I have an ex-boyfriend who was a herpes medical researcher, and he told me that they have a cure for it all figured out, but the pharmaceutical companies make too much from just treating a life long disease, so the cure has never been developed for the public. Of course, I'm sure this isn't surprising to any of you.
    The only thing surprising is that they put the research into it in the first place if they make that much money on the treatments. 
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    The only thing surprising is that they put the research into it in the first place if they make that much money on the treatments. 
    Scientific researchers often actually have a lot of freedom, especially those who do research at a university.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    Sabsolutely, in the same way that some people get the flu worse than others, or acne, or coughs, or joint problems, etc...
    Some will be little effected, some will suffer horribly.  
    Some very, very few will even die!

What a fun thread!!
    Liters of blood, ruptured bladders, and Faustian STD pacts wrapped up in a story about a famous man who cut off his own hand.
    It's like a movie written by the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarrantino on a peyote retreat.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    This whole thing makes me think of Future Man on Hulu where the cure for herpes ends up leading to the apocalypse! 
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    Sabsolutely, in the same way that some people get the flu worse than others, or acne, or coughs, or joint problems, etc...

What a fun thread!!
    Liters of blood, ruptured bladders, and Faustian STD pacts wrapped up in a story about a famous man who cut off his own hand.
    It's like a movie written by the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarrantino on a peyote retreat.
    :lol: Yeah, it's taken some nice turns!
  • PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:

What a fun thread!!
    So I would take the 10million and go find that x boyfriend of yours for the cure.

It sounds plausible but whom is giving me the $10,000,000?!?
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Scientific researchers often actually have a lot of freedom, especially those who do research at a university.
    Thats true. I have a degree in the science field so I've known a lot of researchers. 
    I just assumed it was a pharm company that developed it and decided it wasn't worth it and either guarded the secret or patented it so no one else could use it.
    But if it was a university or independent researcher here's what I don't get. They would want to publish the results for their name and career. Some company that is currently not making money off the treatments would inevitably buy it and patent it and basically be the only . Unless that was already done and patented by one of the larger companies to prevent the use of it.
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:

What a fun thread!!
    So I would take the 10million and go find that x boyfriend of yours for the cure.

It sounds plausible but whom is giving me the $10,000,000?!?
    Lol, that's what I thought, but then I remembered he actually ended up becoming a psychiatrist, so I really wouldn't want to bring this to him anymore. :lol:
    I figure the herpes medicine makers could supply the payout? :tongue: We really didn't get into that part, lol.
    I'm dubious of the claim that there's a cure known but undeveloped, and the reason is that not all forms of herpes are profitable to treat.
    Then again, eradicating it from the nervous system would be a monumental task, something that would require some crazy form of targeted treatment.  That kind of treatment is highly experimental and expensive.  Maybe there is a potential treatment known, maybe it is something like gene therapy, which often can only be done successfully by a handful of people/facilities in the world.
    rgambs said:
    I'm dubious of the claim that there's a cure known but undeveloped, and the reason is that not all forms of herpes are profitable to treat.
    Then again, eradicating it from the nervous system would be a monumental task, something that would require some crazy form of targeted treatment.  That kind of treatment is highly experimental and expensive.  Maybe there is a potential treatment known, maybe it is something like gene therapy, which often can only be done successfully by a handful of people/facilities in the world.
    I'm just telling you what an expert on the subject told me, and that was back in the 90s.
  • rgambs said:
    If there is a cure and it is known, how the hell in good conscience or for the well being of humans, would you bury the cure?!?

Having a cure for a known disease is the most unethical thing I've ever heard of.

Man I really hope that's untrue...

Thread integrity is gone now, lol.
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    If there is a cure and it is known, how the hell in good conscience or for the well being of humans, would you bury the cure?!?

Having a cure for a known disease is the most unethical thing I've ever heard of.

I'm under the informed impression that this is at least halfway to being standard operating procedure when it comes to diseases that are generally treatable. I actually thought everyone knew this, and that's why everyone hates the pharmaceutical industry so much. They aren't just bad because they overprice things. There is actually even genuine concern that cancer cures will be hidden from the public as well. I personally don't think that, but I understand why some think that. I like to think that they at least wouldn't do this when it comes to curing very deadly diseases.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I'm just telling you what an expert on the subject told me, and that was back in the 90s.
    I know, but myths and legends exist even in the highest intellectual circles.
    I've heard surgeons and anesthesiologists talk about scenarios, that, while plausible, surely never happened to anyone they know even in a 6 degrees to Bacon kind of way...such as a patient with a femoral pick line hooked up to suction and completely exsanguinated in seconds.  Or a surgeon with a fatal thoracic puncture from a large closing suture.
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I know, but myths and legends exist even in the highest intellectual circles.
    I've heard surgeons and anesthesiologists talk about scenarios, that, while plausible, surely never happened to anyone they know even in a 6 degrees to Bacon kind of way...such as a patient with a femoral pick line hooked up to suction and completely exsanguinated in seconds.  Or a surgeon with a fatal thoracic puncture from a large closing suture.
    It wasn't a myth or legend. It was first hand knowledge being conveyed to me. He was in a position to know this directly. Again, yes, I'm just passing it along, but I feel comfortable with saying he wasn't making shit up. And remember he was talking about an actual cure, not a vaccine, which is the really lucrative one that they very much want to develop but are having trouble with. Essentially, they are not developing the cure so that they can keep working to develop a vaccine. So the expert said. I know shit about shit when it comes to herpes, luckily.
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:

Herpes encephalitis is serious and can cause significant mental health issues. 

Thread integrity back. 
    rgambs said:

Thread integrity back. 
    Yes, in rare cases it is deadly, that's true. Let's assume we're talking the non-deadly kind in exchange for the $10M, lol.
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Thread integrity back. 
    Yes, in rare cases it is deadly, that's true. Let's assume we're talking the non-deadly kind in exchange for the $10M, lol.
    A fever sore is a form of herpes, so it runs the gamut. 

Is there a specified delivery person in your family's question, Ali? Or do you just happen upon the genital herpes. I care more about whose giving me herpes than whose giving me the money. I'll take the money from anyone. 

Thread integrity - I'm hoping that  @Jason P is searching for that 20 year old article.
    Post edited by njnancy on
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Thread integrity back. 
    A fever sore is a form of herpes, so it runs the gamut. 

Is there a specified delivery person in your family's question, Ali? Or do you just happen upon the genital herpes. I care more about whose giving me herpes than whose giving me the money. I'll take the money from anyone. 

Oh sure. We were specifically talking genital herpes. :lol:
    No, we didn't specify how we got it, but we didn't assume the deal came with screwing a diseased person, haha .. Although I'm pretty sure we started talking about it because we started off discussing what we'd do in an indecent proposal scenario, but the payment would be massive instead of a paltry $1M. I think we went with $100M or $200M... My sister said yes to that one immediately. :lol: Not that I don't understand... I think it would be crazy to turn that down! I'd be pissed if my partner refused that, not if he took the offer!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    rgambs said:
    Mental illness caused him to cut off his arm?  I would think that is psychotic but maybe that is part of mental illness?
    I’m not sure what you are getting at. Psychosis is a state involving symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations. Psychosis can be part of bipolar disorder as well as lots of other mental illnesses. It’s a syndrome, not a diagnosis on its own. 
    What I'm getting at is if you choose to take a skillsaw to your own arm to cut it off that would be "psychotic" and apparently a cause of that is mental illness.  

Who knew?

I wasn't aware that being psycho was a symptom of MA.. I thought it was in a league of it's own.

How are you using the word “psycho”?  Doesn’t seem like you are using it in the medical sense. 

reads to me as psychopathic. huge difference.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

Who knew?

reads to me as psychopathic. huge difference.
    Ah.  

Yes, psychopathy is very different than psychosis. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Thread integrity back. 
    I assumed so. Only added this to circle back to mental illness.