Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thanks.
    It is something I obsess about because it is something I've never had. I yearn for the experience of love and being 35 time is slipping by.
    If I had been in a relationship and ended up single again I don't think I'd be this obsessed. 
    I'm thinking of deleting Facebook but am in a depression support group and it's hard to leave that as I help others.
    Maybe deleting off my phone as that is where I am often glued.
    Me saying hello to strangers frightens me, especially women. If I did that to a woman she'd think I am hitting on her. And in this day and age women don't want to feel harassed in public.
    Definitely cut back on some FB. Deleting from your phone is a great ideal!

I have people say hi to me all the time. It's when I had to ask for a phone number for a sale at work that the guy tapped my wedding ring and made some creepy comment about how he wanted to give me his number... that wasn't cool. I let him know it wasn't cool. So, don't tap some women's wedding ring and you are good! 

Oh my god dude, you are not old. Sports may not be your gig, but you aren't ready to start drawing retirement. Here's an idea, go to open drawing time. They used to life modeling open studio times. Go. You would be surprised who you might meet. 

Don't sit and say no, I can't, because...go and do. Will it be uncomfortable? Sure. But ... work a bit more about being comfortable. 

And...cut back on that obsessing. It's difficult, but don't let it eat you alive. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes
    Yeah kind of not keen on team sports.
    Maybe art classes, but often it is full of elderly women in the one's I know of and thought about joining, I need people my age.
    There's this artist I follow on social media who is on my side of the city and I see her videos and photos from her art classes and never any people my age. There's one in the city near my university, I also have been thinking of trying there. I need to be shown how to mix colours and all other techniques. Maybe over summer.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Yes
    Btw, $375 for a term over summer not sure I can afford that right now, I probably missed enrolment, just had a look online.

https://victorianartistssociety.com.au/classes/class/acrylic-class
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    We had free open drawing hours. That was what I was talking about. I was in art school at a university with a decently known art program. (Kent State (main campus), Kent Ohio.) They were regularly scheduled. If your university has an art school, call them to see when open hours are scheduled. Pretty sure that they would have them. Don't tell them you aren't an art major. You pay tuition. If they need to know, say it is a component of some research you are doing.

Old ladies have granddaughters. :smiley:
  • Options
    Yes
    ^ ^ "Old ladies have granddaughters" HAHA, good point
    They do have an art school at my uni. Not sure if the offer life drawings.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited October 2019
    Damn that’s expensive. There’s got to be cheaper alternatives or the uni class deadendp suggests.
    As for your other argument... do you want to attend an arts class to paint or to make new friends? Why not just do it for yourself? I attend loads of painting classes and it‘s 80% older women. So what? It’s fun to create art and have a look what others do and talk about it. 
    Read the article again Mcgruff posted... if everything you do is with the intent to potentially meet a woman then I think you’re really missing out. You yourself should be your main focus. Your interests, passions. Do things for yourself, your enjoyment and fulfillment. Not anyone else.
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Damn that’s expensive. There’s got to be cheaper alternatives or the uni class deadendp suggests.
    As for your other argument... do you want to attend an arts class to paint or to make new friends? Why not just do it for yourself? I attend loads of painting classes and it‘s 80% older women. So what? It’s fun to create art and have a look what others do and talk about it. 
    Read the article again Mcgruff posted... if everything you do is with the intent to potentially meet a woman then I think you’re really missing out. You yourself should be your main focus. Your interests, passions. Do things for yourself, your enjoyment and fulfillment. Not anyone else.
    Very good point. 
  • Options
    Yes
    Agreed. I believe you may have an approach that sets you up for disappointment.  Do for the love of What ever it is. Not to meet a woman
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Yes
    I guess when you approach 40 it's hard not to focus on finding love. I'm going to be the real life version of the 40 year old virgin.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    When it becomes an obsession and hinders you in life itself, it's time to make a change.  Even, as I and so many here have said time and again, do it via small changes.

Stop finding reasons not to take a chance on YOURSELF and simply try - for YOURSELF.

And if it's tough or you fail, try again.

Rinse, repeat.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    I guess when you approach 40 it's hard not to focus on finding love. I'm going to be the real life version of the 40 year old virgin.
    A dear friend of mine has that beat; he’s made peace with it. One of the happiest fellas I know. 

Love stinks! Yeah yeah. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yes
    dankind said:
    A dear friend of mine has that beat; he’s made peace with it. One of the happiest fellas I know. 

Love stinks! Yeah yeah. 
    That thought has been on my mind actually, making peace with the fact I'll never find love and die a virgin. It's so painful.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    edited October 2019
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ... women ...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    No
    ... women ...
    yes?
  • Options
    No
    Go on....
  • Options
    No
    Dammit, I'm going back to sleep.
  • Options
    No
    Goodnight S_C.
  • Options
    Goodnight S_C.
    Goodnight. Lol. Some people are in the middle of working with 2-3 hours to lunch. Listening to Waiting for the Sun and drawing a Gorilla comforting a little girl.

See you in a few hours
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,490
    edited November 2019
    No
    ... women ...
    you're going to have to give us a little more to go on than this...or you can always shout some lyrics at me. :wink:

Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    edited November 2019
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    There are certainly a whole lot of things to love about the single life.
    What about the loneliness? Not having anyone to share your day with? That part hurts me.
    While I am social, I don't feel loneliness. My own company is very satisfying to me when I'm alone. Frankly, while I never get the opportunity and don't expect to any time soon, I would be pretty pleased to just be completely alone with myself for an extended and uninterrupted period of time, like a kind of true break from other people, lol. But that's just me. Some people get lonely easily, some never feel lonely no matter what, some do, but it takes a whole lot of alone time to feel that way. I think it has a lot to do with disposition.
    That said, I do have people to share my day with. My mom, my sister, my friends, and several of my co-workers, as well as myself via my inner voice. I wear my feelings on my sleeve - I don't "save" my personal life only for someone I'm romantically involved with. So I don't need a romantic partner to feel like I'm sharing what I want to. My experience has been that a lot of unpleasantness can also come with a romantic relationship - they are far from bliss man, and certainly not some kind of pinnacle of human connection in the majority of cases, once you get passed the sexual factor. Being in love can be so great... but being in love romantically isn't generally the end all and be all of existence like the movies would have us believe. And loneliness can most definitely be felt when you're in a romantic relationship, depending on the relationship. Sometimes that can be the deepest loneliness of all. I think sometimes people, you included, might put too much weight on the romantic side of this concept of human connection. I feel like you need someone or some people to be close to, who you feel really safe with to share your true self with and trust to accept you as you are, including your flaws ... That person or those people doesn't necessarily have to be a girlfriend or wife. Perhaps if you're able to open up on that level in friendship, you'd be much better prepared to open up to woman you want a relationship with? Just a thought. You will need to learn how to stop being in your own head so much with other people, and stop projecting so much to find that, maybe.
    I think that you are also at a disadvantage in this context because your family sounds like the shits. Feeling like you're not alone in the world is a feeling that is usually grown from some kind of family support, where the love is unconditional (FYI, there is no such thing as romantic unconditional love). I'm really sorry you can't find that acceptance/love from them like many are lucky to. I'm sure that would remove a big chunk of your sense of loneliness.... But I bet it would help to get the fuck away from them, as so many others have said. I hope you are able to soon!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    There are certainly a whole lot of things to love about the single life.
    What about the loneliness? Not having anyone to share your day with? That part hurts me.
    While I am social, I don't feel loneliness. My own company is very satisfying to me when I'm alone. Frankly, while I never get the opportunity and don't expect to any time soon, I would be pretty pleased to just be completely alone with myself for an extended and uninterrupted period of time, like a kind of true break from other people, lol. But that's just me. Some people get lonely easily, some never feel lonely no matter what, some do, but it takes a whole lot of alone time to feel that way. I think it has a lot to do with disposition.
    That said, I do have people to share my day with. My mom, my sister, my friends, and several of my co-workers, as well as myself via my inner voice. I wear my feelings on my sleeve - I don't "save" my personal life only for someone I'm romantically involved with. So I don't need a romantic partner to feel like I'm sharing what I want to. My experience has been that a lot of unpleasantness can also come with a romantic relationship - they are far from bliss man, and certainly not some kind of pinnacle of human connection in the majority of cases, once you get passed the sexual factor. Being in love can be so great... but being in love romantically isn't generally the end all and be all of existence like the movies would have us believe. And loneliness can most definitely be felt when you're in a romantic relationship, depending on the relationship. Sometimes that can be the deepest loneliness of all. I think sometimes people, you included, might put too much weight on the romantic side of this concept of human connection. I feel like you need someone or some people to be close to, who you feel really safe with to share your true self with and trust to accept you as you are, including your flaws ... That person or those people doesn't necessarily have to be a girlfriend or wife. Perhaps if you're able to open up on that level in friendship, you'd be much better prepared to open up to woman you want a relationship with? Just a thought. You will need to learn how to stop being in your own head so much with other people, and stop projecting so much to find that, maybe.
    I think that you are also at a disadvantage in this context because your family sounds like the shits. Feeling like you're not alone in the world is a feeling that is usually grown from some kind of family support, where the love is unconditional (FYI, there is no such thing as romantic unconditional love). I'm really sorry you can't find that acceptance/love from them like many are lucky to. I'm sure that would remove a big chunk of your sense of loneliness.... But I bet it would help to get the fuck away from them, as so many others have said. I hope you are able to soon!
    That's something that I needed to hear. I'm going to take that piece of advice under consideration. Thank you, that was a point well made!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    (FYI, there is no such thing as romantic unconditional love)

True. I’ve known my wife for more than 20 years now, and I only recently found out that she thinks “Stairway to Heaven” is a better song than “Highway to Hell.” I’m not going to lie. The thought of divorce did cross my mind.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    Yes
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

True. I’ve known my wife for more than 20 years now, and I only recently found out that she thinks “Stairway to Heaven” is a better song than “Highway to Hell.” I’m not going to lie. The thought of divorce did cross my mind.
    :rofl:
    She is the one who should divorce you!! LZ's worst song is better than AC/DC's best! =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sounds like a good enough reason to contemplate a split!
  • Options
    What?! Don’t get me wrong, Highway to Hell is a good song! But it’s no Stairway to Heaven. Not even close! :tongue:
  • Options
    No
    Highway to Hell gets my vote.
  • Options
    Highway to Hell gets my vote.
    So you’re saying you’d be the better wife for Dankind?!
  • Options
    No
    Goddamn it.
  • Options
    Sounds like you just had an epiphany ;)