Options

Kavanaugh

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    edited September 2018
    1) The Dems clearly held onto this until late in the game for political reasons
    2) the republicans clearly don’t want an investigation due to political reasons.

Both of those suck. 

If the repubkicans had had any morals it wouldn’t have mattered when it came up. If the Dems has any morals they would have shared quicker. But neither do. And still none of that matters. A Supreme Court nominee was accused of sexual assault. An investigation should occur...talking to as many witnesses as possible and then that info presented. Thankfully it seem we will at least get an investigation, but the lack or true morals from anyone on the senate committee make sure me think it won’t matter
    That is exactly what happened. It could have come out 6 weeks ago, but instead was just "leaked" (by friends of Ford, who didnt even have the letter, according to democrats) but they wanted to intentionally wait until now. 
    it has all be calculated. And none of it calculated to get to the truth, but to get the next nominee.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Hey, I’d be happy to tell you about the years I volunteered at a women’s shelter, sat on their board of directors and was their president for one year. I’d be happy to tell you about the work I do now with women involved in the sex trade. However, given your brainless, douchey post above I suspect it wouldn’t make any difference. 
    And that is awesome for you sir (or ma'am)!  My consensus remains that most in here who "give a shit" for the victim only "give a shit" through their keyboard and because politics.  
    It’s always a moving target, isn’t it? Bullshit gets called and you slide on to something else. 
    You're right.  I do not know why I even came in this thread.  I will move on.  Seriously, kudos to you for taking action whenever you did and serving your community!  

Here is what I know.  I was a victim of sexual assault by family members.  My wife was a victim of sexual assault in high school.  "How we choose to feel, is how we are" and we both feel fuckin awesome!  We have a wonderful life!  

Best of luck to all of you in the future and I hope the result comes from this that unifies our country, rather than further divide it!
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I actually think Flake is gonna flip..Lady at elevator got to him
    Like I said...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,379
    dignin said:
    So, what excuses you all cooking up for when the FBI investigation doesn't agree with you?

And so nobody thinks that's a slanted question, I'm asking both sides.
    I think he shouldn't be on the supreme court because he's a partisan hack and he lies under oath, I've been very consistent about that. An investigation by the FBI can't change those things. 

^^^ This. You want to argue about whether or not Dr. Ford was assaulted? Okay; if you (hypothetical "you" here, not ascribing anything to Edson) need "evidence" that a woman was held down against her will 36 years ago, that's going to be hard to produce. But Kavanaugh has lied, clumsily, repeatedly, to the Senate. That's pretty freaking obvious, and that's not okay.

Yes, I would prefer to have Merrick Garland on the Court. But this goes beyond politics, just as it did with Agent Orange, to the matter of fundamental fitness for the job. Looking at what we've seen of his character, Kavanaugh pretty obviously lacks that fitness. Chief Justice Roberts is no liberal, but I've heard no rumor, no reason to doubt his character or his fitness for the role. So I don't get angry when I see him on my TV, and I don't find myself unable to sleep knowing that he's on the Court.

So if, somehow, Kavanaugh is not confirmed, I fully expect that another conservative judge will be put forth --- and this time, he (it won't be a woman, I expect) will be much more thoroughly vetted. And I'll just hope that he's a sober, reasonable person.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I imagine the FBI will be using an Ouija board to conduct the investigation.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    edited September 2018
    So, what excuses you all cooking up for when the FBI investigation doesn't agree with you?

The FBI investigation is obviously not going to go "my way."  Investigating a 35-year-old alleged incident that would have been he said/she said from Day 1?  Please.  The only way it could go my way is if someone finds a 35-year-old with the DNA of Kavanaugh and one of his accusers.  

We'll never know.  So given all that's gone on...to the victors go the spoils.  It this is the guy the GOP wants, go for it.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    What says that Democrats sat on it for political reasons?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Like I said...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dignin said:

I think he shouldn't be on the supreme court because he's a partisan hack and he lies under oath, I've been very consistent about that. An investigation by the FBI can't change those things. 

^^^ This. You want to argue about whether or not Dr. Ford was assaulted? Okay; if you (hypothetical "you" here, not ascribing anything to Edson) need "evidence" that a woman was held down against her will 36 years ago, that's going to be hard to produce. But Kavanaugh has lied, clumsily, repeatedly, to the Senate. That's pretty freaking obvious, and that's not okay.

Yes, I would prefer to have Merrick Garland on the Court. But this goes beyond politics, just as it did with Agent Orange, to the matter of fundamental fitness for the job. Looking at what we've seen of his character, Kavanaugh pretty obviously lacks that fitness. Chief Justice Roberts is no liberal, but I've heard no rumor, no reason to doubt his character or his fitness for the role. So I don't get angry when I see him on my TV, and I don't find myself unable to sleep knowing that he's on the Court.

So if, somehow, Kavanaugh is not confirmed, I fully expect that another conservative judge will be put forth --- and this time, he (it won't be a woman, I expect) will be much more thoroughly vetted. And I'll just hope that he's a sober, reasonable person.

That's not a thing anymore in federal government.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    2) the republicans clearly don’t want an investigation due to political reasons.

Both of those suck. 

If the repubkicans had had any morals it wouldn’t have mattered when it came up. If the Dems has any morals they would have shared quicker. But neither do. And still none of that matters. A Supreme Court nominee was accused of sexual assault. An investigation should occur...talking to as many witnesses as possible and then that info presented. Thankfully it seem we will at least get an investigation, but the lack or true morals from anyone on the senate committee make sure me think it won’t matter
    Shared what? Didn't Ford not want it out -- and the democrat(s) agreed to that.

I doubt that was for political reasons, but being decent.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    edited September 2018

given he's already been voted out of committee to a full floor vote, it seems rather useless at this point regardless of any potential findings. Does the entire Senate get a copy of whatever might be determined?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    breaking news the FBI will be investigating the allegations before full Senate vote.  Should be interesting. I guess it all comes down to what Judge says.
    Couldn't they also get information to paint a picture of Brett that doesn't align with what he has said in the hearings?

Wouldn't that be reason to not appoint? If he has lied.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    breaking news the FBI will be investigating the allegations before full Senate vote.  Should be interesting. I guess it all comes down to what Judge says.
    Couldn't they also get information to paint a picture of Brett that doesn't align with what he has said in the hearings?

Wouldn't that be reason to not appoint? If he has lied.
    In theory.  But no.  He believes that Trump, unlike Clinton, is above the law.  That's what matters to the entire party.
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    dignin said:

That's not a thing anymore in federal government.

But I refuse to lower my standards.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    edited September 2018
    This editorial pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing :
    Read the whole article here: https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/09/the_kavanaugh_hearings_showed_politicians_and_the.html

There was something unsettling about Thursday's hearing. 

It's that thin line between news and exploitation, between journalism and entertainment.  

Tune in, and watch people squirm as their lives and reputations are ruined. Stay with us, as we ruminate about it all night and day tomorrow. 

And here is where other thin lines are crossed. The line between passion and performance. The line between making salient points and posturing. Is that authentic outrage Senators Graham and Booker, or are you just playing the cameras?

Senator Whitehouse, did you really need to ask a Supreme Court nominee the meaning of "Ralph" inscribed by another teenager in his high school yearbook? 

Senator Graham, with all due respect, could you stop the finger-pointing and dial back the shrill-meter? 

These performances undermined the gravity of the situation. Christine Ford's pain shouldn't be used a Democratic campaign speech. Nor should the Republicans use it to accuse the Democrats of political gamesmanship.

But because of the hyper-partisanship that has this nation by the throat, that is exactly what happened.

In my view, she was victimized by both sides.  

What we saw Thursday were two vulnerable human beings, yanked like a rope in a tug of war by the politicians, and then have their every word and facial expression dissected by the television talking heads.

I hope audiences everywhere didn't lose sight of that, even as they dig in on their respective sides. 

But these days in politics and on the networks, inciting anger seems to have obliterated empathy. That line hasn't just been blurred. It's been erased.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    Like I said...

In English please..
  • Options

Both of those suck. 

Sure. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Both of those suck. 

Sure. 

Exactly.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    This is the best person they could come up with for SCOTUS?

civilization is doomed lol
  • Options
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    This is the best person they could come up with for SCOTUS?

civilization is doomed lol
    Proof there is no god?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    dignin said:
    I have never said that but I will let you in on a little secret, when credible allegations are made, usually the accused party is guilty. And that includes most presidents.

Also, if someone doesn't want an investigation when they have been credibly accused, does that make you suspicious?
    Credible allegations...
    Crime over 30 years old - Check
    Time - Not sure
    Place - Not sure
    How victim arrived and left - Unknown
    4 witnesses who said her story isn't true - Check

GUILTY.
    you mean 4 witnesses who claim they cant recall. which is different than claiming it didnt happen.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I wonder how Lyndsey Graham would have reacted in that elevator..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Looks like BK's popularity could use some Viagra.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    I have never said that but I will let you in on a little secret, when credible allegations are made, usually the accused party is guilty. And that includes most presidents.

Also, if someone doesn't want an investigation when they have been credibly accused, does that make you suspicious?
    Credible allegations...
    Crime over 30 years old - Check
    Time - Not sure
    Place - Not sure
    How victim arrived and left - Unknown
    4 witnesses who said her story isn't true - Check

GUILTY.
    you mean 4 witnesses who claim they cant recall. which is different than claiming it didnt happen.
    You mean 4 witnesses who have not testified under oath or spoke to the FBI.

Those aren't "witnesses" until they do.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    I wonder how Lyndsey Graham would have reacted in that elevator..
    Or Kavanaugh.

Brilliantati©