Options

When/How did you discover Pearl Jam?

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I'm the youngest of five children. My oldest sister (11 years older than me) LOVES music, and she was saddled with taking care of me most of the time, and so from birth on, (luckily) most of my life had an amazing soundtrack sponsored by her favorite bands: Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Heart, ELP, CSN/Y, etc. etc. ETC!  When we were together, which was always, there was music. In fact, she helped me learn to read by showing me how to follow along with the lyrics printed inside the album covers. 

When I graduated from high school it made sense that I would try to get a job at a record store- its where I belonged- I think I told them that when I gave them my application- I didn't even ask how much it paid (I didn't care) and that's probably why I got the job.  One of my first tasks on my first day there was to help to put up a display in the corner window for a band I'd never heard of. We stapled dozens of album flats to the walls, bending and bowing them to create interesting shapes and give it some dimension, and we hung 50 red plastic apples on clear fishing line from the ceiling at various heights- we even got some apple air scented air freshener to spray around near there (we wanted it to feel immersive). As we listened to the band's music (which was the tradition at the store- play the band's music while you put up their display) and I was steeped in the awesomeness of the whole experience; being out of school and having an unbelievably lucky and amazing new job, and the cool people who worked there and shopped there, and this new amazing music playing so loud on the huge speakers that the whole place vibrated (and also, I was probably a little high on apple air freshener ;)...) that band was quickly becoming MY BAND and these songs were being pressed into a new life soundtrack that I was now creating for myself, separate from (but still part of) the one my sister had started for me when I was a child.  But, when I finally overcame my fear of sounding like a "know nothing poser" to ask the guy I was helping if he knew more about the band, he told me that Andy Woods, the lead singer, had died of an overdose in the spring, and the album we were listening to would be the only Mother Love Bone album.  He told me a little bit about how young he was, what a shame it was because of how talented they all were, how it was sad that he died before Apple was released- it was such a fantastic album. But I really loved it, I told him- already feeling entitled for more music from them I guess, I felt robbed of something.  "You know Alice in Chains, right? You know Soundgarden..." that's what he said- I did know them, a little, but then after that, after talking to him (over the course of the year and then the rest of my life to today), I REALLY started to know them. (In fact, that guy gave me a red vinyl "Louder than Love" album that I still cherish). He's the one who introduced me to MudHoney.  Of course, none of these bands were the same as MLB (no band will ever be), but they all came from the same place (and I don't mean Seattle). This was my music.

I think it was in the winter that we heard at the record store that Stone and Jeff were starting a new band. We couldn't wait.
    When Temple of the dog came out in the Spring, there was NO WAY we weren't all over it. It was fucking amazing.
    And then Pearl Jam.  And just like my first day in that corner display, I heard them for the very first time on a pre-released record store promo copy, over huge speakers that shook the store... it was so powerful and so full of energy and life and soul- all I could think is "they came back!"... MY BAND. They have been this for me, from that day until now. 

I wasn't able to see them live until THIS YEAR (when i had the time I didn't have the money, when I had the money I didn't have the time... it all finally worked out for me 27 years or so later). Saw three shows (both shows in Seattle, and Missoula).  Gotta tell ya, there was a moment during Crown of Thorns (Night 2, Safeco) when I saw Jeff and Stone playing together and I just couldn't stop the tears from falling (really, I didn't want to).  I'm pretty sure that just for a moment, I caught the scent of apples in the air...

Thanks Pearl Jam.

This story alone has made it worth being a fan all these years! Congratulations on finally seeing the band, I'm sure it was well worth the wait! That last paragraph really got me; thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    JH6056 said:
    My brother turned me on to them in October 91.  He said I had to attend this show where he was going to college in Ames, Iowa.  He got 4th row tickets and the venue was a theater that holds 3000 or so.  10 was just out and he played it for me and I thought it was really solid.  Anyhow, I was staying at the Best Western in Ames and Eddie, Flea were swimming in the pool and having fun with other members of all the bands on the ticket (PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, Chili Peppers).  We were drinking beers at the pool and it was a real fun and laid back experience.  At the show PJ was first and blew the roof off the joint.  I was a fan after that performance!  Funny thing is Billy Corgan punched his guitar tech in the face when he came off stage for some reason after their set.  That show will always be memorable as it was the last time I saw one of my good friends alive unfortunately.  But it was a great introduction to PJ and I have been a fan since seeing them many many times.  
    Wow that is one hell of an introduction! How do you even move on from there?

Btw don't even get me started on Billy Corgan. He's STILL sore that PJ took off the way they did, and still never gives them credit for actually being that talented and deserving the focus.  Smashing Pumpkins are talented too, but he's such a hater.  Over it.

I'm not a big fan of cell phones or the obsession with recording everything, but is it bad to say that I wish you'd had a smart phone at that pool?  Ooops, did I say that out loud? =D
    Hah!  I wish I had some way to document it.  I remember one little boy was splashing around them and Eddie asked kindly for him to please stop.  If I knew then what I knew now.......  They seemed so normal and it holds true today.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    CDEANSEATTLECDEANSEATTLE Seattle Posts: 33
    We were a Nirvana,  Mudhoney couple till Cobain ate pellets, then your hurting and needed something familiar, EV was their when we needed it. 
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    I love reading this thread!
  • Options
    March 1994.  I went backpacking with three buddies (Devin, Lee, Bruce) in Yosemite.  My friend Devin played Ten on cassette the entire drive there and back (3 hours each way).  After singing many renditions of ALIVE on the trail and so much listening in the car I was hooked.  As soon as I got home I drove an hour to the nearest Tower Records (I lived in a super rural area) and bought Ten and Vs.  First show was Sacramento 95.  Joined the Vitalogy Health Club in November of 1996.  Love. Ever. Since. 
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    Had to be late 91, maybe early 92.
    I distinctly remembering my friend Leia sending me home w/ the Ten CD, and listening to it over and over again.
    Was hooked, and never let go.
    Finally got to see them in Birmingham, AL in 98 (yes, I have the poster!)
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • Options
    I was 14 and fell asleep watching SNL. It was the first time PJ was on and the opening riff of Alive woke me from a dead sleep. I sprang up and just stared. I still to this day can't explain what happened in that moment but EVERYTHING had changed. Then when they came back on and played Porch I just sat in awe. The next day I had my mom take me to the mall to buy Ten. Then I immediately discovered Temple, Soundgarden, AIC and Nirvana. Life altering. 

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    Heard Alive on KISW (Seattle) in the summer of 91 . Bought the tape the next day.........and every album after that, the day it came out. 

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    When I was 16 (2004), the bass player of the nascent band I was in gave me the rearviewmirror best of, suggesting that we should cover some of these songs. I didn't immediately take to them. A few weeks later I was in my local used CD store (I miss those...), and noticed Pearl Jam had several live albums available, I thought maybe I'd pick up one of those as a way to see how their songs sounded in that context. The one I picked up was 7/11/03 Mansfield, and suddenly I "got it."  
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2021
    with my ears around 3:30pm from a car stereo
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Michigan state fair, I was about 2nd or third grade maybe and there was a big screen playing some awards show and Jeremy was played in full, maybe VMAs? At any rate, ten was quickly added to my small collection of Elvis and Willie Nelson cassette tapes. I loved everything about the music and the voice and intensity and Jeremy is still one of my favorites to this day, though I wish they would bust out slow Jeremy at shows every once in a while
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 823
    Starting high school in Wellington, remember listening to PJ and snogging a girl for the first time haha-she's actually still a very dear friend of mine.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2021
    Heard Alive as a HS sophomore. Kid I rode to school with had Ten on cassette 
  • Options
    I was 16 i think.  My friends  were older and just driving and we would sit in a dark lane . Get stoned and my friend  said listen to this. It was ten . On cassette,  blew our tiny minds. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,409
    Being we’re the same age (sounds like most were teens) we absolutely related. Felt like finally we were listening to people who got us.  Not sure why but it always felt like we were the in between generation (hard to explain). So hubby hears them as soon as ten comes out..buys the disc with NO title (great purchase unknowingly, wish we wouldn’t have played it so much that we needed another that did have the title) and that was it.  30 years and 60 some concerts later, most since we retired and kids were old enough, it became our retirement plans....see the country while being groupies in our late 50’s. 
    After PJ 20 (my husband had the flu but pushed thru both days) hubby wondered if it would be our last so I promised him it wouldn’t!  40+ concerts after PJ 20 we consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity, including the means to do so, to fulfill our retirement dreams. Hoping it’s not over yet 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,409
    Not my story but a good one....friend of ours who was SC (eds baseball friend) roommate tells us "hey, was at SC the other day and I think I met that guy you and your wife travel around to see, think his name is Ed"  Seriously?  WTF - he didn't even realize it!  What a kick in the ass that was!!!
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,892
    I was in jr. high when Ten and Nevermind took over the radio. There was something different and while I liked "Smells Like Teen Spirit" I veered towards Pearl Jam - they were saying things my little mind couldn't quite comprehend but somehow knew they were talking about emotions I was coming into and questions I didn't know how how vocalize. I dug into their music, read about their influences and forged my own path into literature - I haven't strayed away and don't plan on it. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    I still remember first time I heard Eddie’s  voice on the radio, the second verse of Hunger Strike. Loved it instantly. So different and deep. Then  saw MTV Unplugged and Black. Recorded the second half of Black and Jeremy from the radio and played it over and over. When I finally got the cassette in my car, I listened to Alive about 15 times before even moving on to the rest of the album. Ten was and always will be special!to me.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    SW88810SW88810 Manchester, England Posts: 37
    I was 15/16 in 92 ... heard/saw Alive and even flow on mtv and was instantly hooked, at the time it wasn’t the type of music or look myself or any of my friends were into but I was drawn in and excited by what I was seeing and hearing. At that age for me to go out and buy an album wasn’t the drop of a hat thing I can do now and I remember having a strict three song rule!! if I heard three songs off an album I liked I would buy it!! I didn’t wait for the third single I had to hear more .... been a fan ever since 
  • Options
    RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 752
    My brothers made me listening to PJ when i was 12. Listening to Yield while playing some games on the PC with them. 
    Favourite songs are Brain of J - Faithful - No way. Brings back the good times.
    First concert was Arhnem 06.
    Been to 24 PJ gigs and 9 EV shows since.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    Not my story but a good one....friend of ours who was SC (eds baseball friend) roommate tells us "hey, was at SC the other day and I think I met that guy you and your wife travel around to see, think his name is Ed"  Seriously?  WTF - he didn't even realize it!  What a kick in the ass that was!!!
    That's so funny!!!'If that was me I'd have ran home and came back with a pile of stuff and some fresh sharpies. Eddie would have ran away fast.
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    Jeremy video. I was 10 years old. 

I was hooked on Ten, but I do think that the ‘92 VMA performance with Neil is the moment that took me to the next level. It was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. Incidentally that was also the night that (1) I was first exposed to my second favorite band of all time (REM) and (2) I dropped my previous favorite band (U2) after the hype for them performing their new single as the follow-up to Achtung Baby ended up being just The Edge sitting alone on a stool doing the spoken-word parts of Numb. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    Jeremy, I think at mtv awards, was something to watch back then. Pj was still a little too mainstream for my taste, but there was no denying the depth/passion of that performance. I remember watching it with a bunch of people and this older biker dude was stroking his beard watching it like 'woah this is good'. It's the song I don't want to have on the setlist, but when they play it...it sucks me it! 
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    edited February 2021
    Being a teenager in Western Canada in the early 90’s I had to rely on Muchmusic, great music always found its way there but I was always behind my friend who had MTV. He introduced me to Nevermind and my mind was blown - I was buying every magazine with Nirvana on the cover to try and learn everything I could about them. One magazine had an article way in the back about this “other Seattle band” called Pearl Jam. The only thing I remember about that article was how it talked about their live shows being pretty intense and the lead singer actually smashed a cymbal with his hand and gave himself a smile shaped scar. I told my MTV friend I’d like to hear this band and low and behold he had just picked up Ten when he was in the city cause this song called Alive was the MTV buzzclip and it was pretty cool. I borrowed his cassette and started listening, after a few listens I was absolutely hooked. YEARS later I was watching a YouTube video of an early record store performance and Ed’s hand was completely bandaged up - I guess the cymbal story was true.
    Post edited by Massara133 on
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 420
    MR242791 said:
    I had known about PJ in HS when Jeremy came out and I remember listening to betterman on the radio and loving it. But it wasn’t until probably 2003 or 2004 when I went into a tower records looking for something new.  I stumbled upon PJ live in Tokyo 2003 and I remember being intrigued that PJ was still making music, they were selling live albums, they played In Tokyo and the album was being sold in a cardboard CD case Vs. a plastic one. The album was on sale for like $5 so I bought it on a whim.  I fell in love with that album and a Pearl Jam fan was born.   I like to think it was divine intervention lol. Plus I still have my Tokyo CDs
    I want to say around 1994/1995.... my brother who is 7 years older than me made me a mix tape.... I listened to it every single day... and then he went to Randall's island in 1996 and I just remember the stories there after -  I was only 12 at the time... went through some heavy family stuff in 1997 and PJ was my escape... 
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    My brother turned me on to them in October 91.  He said I had to attend this show where he was going to college in Ames, Iowa.  He got 4th row tickets and the venue was a theater that holds 3000 or so.  10 was just out and he played it for me and I thought it was really solid.  Anyhow, I was staying at the Best Western in Ames and Eddie, Flea were swimming in the pool and having fun with other members of all the bands on the ticket (PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, Chili Peppers).  We were drinking beers at the pool and it was a real fun and laid back experience.  At the show PJ was first and blew the roof off the joint.  I was a fan after that performance!  Funny thing is Billy Corgan punched his guitar tech in the face when he came off stage for some reason after their set.  That show will always be memorable as it was the last time I saw one of my good friends alive unfortunately.  But it was a great introduction to PJ and I have been a fan since seeing them many many times.  
    Wow that is one hell of an introduction! How do you even move on from there?

Btw don't even get me started on Billy Corgan. He's STILL sore that PJ took off the way they did, and still never gives them credit for actually being that talented and deserving the focus.  Smashing Pumpkins are talented too, but he's such a hater.  Over it.

I'm not a big fan of cell phones or the obsession with recording everything, but is it bad to say that I wish you'd had a smart phone at that pool?  Ooops, did I say that out loud? =D
    Hah!  I wish I had some way to document it.  I remember one little boy was splashing around them and Eddie asked kindly for him to please stop.  If I knew then what I knew now.......  They seemed so normal and it holds true today.
    Crazy, I am only now revisiting this conversation (been off the pages for ages) and I forgot this story and my comment.  Yeah, glad we both wish you'd been able to record it!  Still a great "origin story"!  I once watched Alice In Chains, Arrested Development and a few other bands play basketball backstage at an early Lollapalooza, would have loved a cell phone then too but even now that they're everywhere I don't take pics of videos during people's "downtime" so I still don't get much precious footage.  But being considerate is more important.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    I'm the youngest of five children. My oldest sister (11 years older than me) LOVES music, and she was saddled with taking care of me most of the time, and so from birth on, (luckily) most of my life had an amazing soundtrack sponsored by her favorite bands: Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Heart, ELP, CSN/Y, etc. etc. ETC!  When we were together, which was always, there was music. In fact, she helped me learn to read by showing me how to follow along with the lyrics printed inside the album covers. 

When I graduated from high school it made sense that I would try to get a job at a record store- its where I belonged- I think I told them that when I gave them my application- I didn't even ask how much it paid (I didn't care) and that's probably why I got the job.  One of my first tasks on my first day there was to help to put up a display in the corner window for a band I'd never heard of. We stapled dozens of album flats to the walls, bending and bowing them to create interesting shapes and give it some dimension, and we hung 50 red plastic apples on clear fishing line from the ceiling at various heights- we even got some apple air scented air freshener to spray around near there (we wanted it to feel immersive). As we listened to the band's music (which was the tradition at the store- play the band's music while you put up their display) and I was steeped in the awesomeness of the whole experience; being out of school and having an unbelievably lucky and amazing new job, and the cool people who worked there and shopped there, and this new amazing music playing so loud on the huge speakers that the whole place vibrated (and also, I was probably a little high on apple air freshener ;)...) that band was quickly becoming MY BAND and these songs were being pressed into a new life soundtrack that I was now creating for myself, separate from (but still part of) the one my sister had started for me when I was a child.  But, when I finally overcame my fear of sounding like a "know nothing poser" to ask the guy I was helping if he knew more about the band, he told me that Andy Woods, the lead singer, had died of an overdose in the spring, and the album we were listening to would be the only Mother Love Bone album.  He told me a little bit about how young he was, what a shame it was because of how talented they all were, how it was sad that he died before Apple was released- it was such a fantastic album. But I really loved it, I told him- already feeling entitled for more music from them I guess, I felt robbed of something.  "You know Alice in Chains, right? You know Soundgarden..." that's what he said- I did know them, a little, but then after that, after talking to him (over the course of the year and then the rest of my life to today), I REALLY started to know them. (In fact, that guy gave me a red vinyl "Louder than Love" album that I still cherish). He's the one who introduced me to MudHoney.  Of course, none of these bands were the same as MLB (no band will ever be), but they all came from the same place (and I don't mean Seattle). This was my music.

I think it was in the winter that we heard at the record store that Stone and Jeff were starting a new band. We couldn't wait.
    When Temple of the dog came out in the Spring, there was NO WAY we weren't all over it. It was fucking amazing.
    And then Pearl Jam.  And just like my first day in that corner display, I heard them for the very first time on a pre-released record store promo copy, over huge speakers that shook the store... it was so powerful and so full of energy and life and soul- all I could think is "they came back!"... MY BAND. They have been this for me, from that day until now. 

I wasn't able to see them live until THIS YEAR (when i had the time I didn't have the money, when I had the money I didn't have the time... it all finally worked out for me 27 years or so later). Saw three shows (both shows in Seattle, and Missoula).  Gotta tell ya, there was a moment during Crown of Thorns (Night 2, Safeco) when I saw Jeff and Stone playing together and I just couldn't stop the tears from falling (really, I didn't want to).  I'm pretty sure that just for a moment, I caught the scent of apples in the air...

Thanks Pearl Jam.

Wow. Wow and more WOW!!! I'm all tears from your story!  The power of good, heart-originating music!  I love your story, thanks for sharing!

Hey while in Seattle did you see the PJ exhibit at MoPio? If so, what did you think of the Andy Wood statue with the faint soundtrack behind it?

Wouldn't have missed it for anything!  It's perfect.
    Only now coming back to this thread, just seeing this. SO HAPPY you got to go and checked all this out, especially this statue. Beautiful!

Watching Seattle 2 on the webcast last night, because I was so emo during the actual show and not in front and also I'm short, I didn't see that little stretch when Stone & Jeff were playing to each other.  I saw it on the webcast and yeah, I got WAY emo all over again for that especially. Beautiful!
  • Options
    brandonbowlingbrandonbowling Morehead, KY Posts: 28
    Forgive me, friends. I'm a young'un by comparison. My older brother had a copy of Yield when I was in middle school. (Thankfully. He turned out to be more of a Garth Brooks type). I wore his copy of Yield out in middle school, then bought my own copy along with vitalogy and No Code from a local pawn shop in early 2000s. Then I went down the rabbit hole!
  • Options
    I was in middle school and my friend had an older brother who always had good music blasting from his room. He introduced us to AIC Facelift, Kyuss, Janes Addiction, and Ten. He played Alive and Black for us and that was it.  He also had an “import” of PJ that hooked me as well. 
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,657
    My parents had a copy of Ten on cassette. I was in grade 5 or 6 and used to play it all the time.