Options

When/How did you discover Pearl Jam?

124»

Comments

• Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    It was August of '91 and I was visiting my brother who lives in Mukilteo, WA. I had the Mother Love Bone album and knew, from Rolling Stone, of a new band forming from their remnants. My brother had heard of a free show so we went down to the Mural Amphitheater and experienced their awesomeness. I was hooked.
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    It was 1992, and I was in flipside records when  I heard evenflow flow on the speakers and asked the clerk who is this.
     He told me Pearl Jam I had no idea who they were but I bought the cassette on spot. I remember how different sounding evenflow was from all the crummy hair metal that was my genre of the time.  The Seattle sound was just breaking through in the midwest.  I went to college and became immersed in Metallica and Pearl Jam with Pearl Jam going to my favorites as the anticipation of VS grew.  Ibstill remember VS being my 1st midnight sale, and I have never looked back.

Tape trading hit me hard in the mid 90s(man I miss that- miss all you formers)

Poster craziness started,
    Avocado tour took it to a new level, I finally had money to see multiple shows, got lucky with the VIC. Traveled to NYC and DC. PJ20etc

The journey has so amazing,.met so many cool people with great hearts (hey Foxy).  My favorite part though is no matter how many shows, how long, every show is amazing and a bunch of old pals getting together again to sing loud as we can, and cling to every word, nuance, note, pogo, bass line, drum beat, horrible but awesome Stone vocal, Boom Gaspar orgasm face, and Eddie story.

I love you all like brothers and sisters. 
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited February 2021
    I was attending University of Oregon and got tickets to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Salem, Oregon (loved Blood Sugar Sex Magik immediately upon its release)...there were a couple of opening bands on that I had heard of (Nivana) and another that I strolled in on half way through their set--the "opener opener" I called them.  Too busy drinking beers in the parking lot to catch them when they came on stage....After listening to them, I thought that they were pretty good....  :)  
    PS-If anyone has a spare poster from the show sitting around...I would be happy to trade a four eyed cowboy for it.....
    Music MemorabiliaPosters Red Hot Chili PeppersNirvanaPearl Jam Salem Armory Concert Poster1992
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    Yep. I missed pj on that tour too here in the east coast...Whoops. 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Saw them open for RHCP in December 1991.
  • Options
    EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 129
    In 1992, I asked a friend to record a cassette for me with Nirvana's Nevermind. There was some free space and he added Jeremy and Oceans. I was immediately hooked and Jeremy is my all time favorite song since then.

I found that cassette about 6 months ago. What memories! 😊
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    edited February 2021
    My dad listened to them casually on the radio mostly, so I knew of them growing up and I enjoyed the hits but didn’t really associate it as Pearl Jam when I heard them. Around 2010 Just Breathe was getting played pretty regularly and I loved it, so I took it upon myself to go to Youtube and I went down the rabbit hole of amazing music and performances. Then 3 years of mild obsession led to my dad getting us tickets for Pitt 13 when I was 16 and 2 other shows together and one without since then. Amazing memories. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016