Options

Taxpayers should not fund ANY agenda.

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
Ridiculous.

"It’s a political ‘institute,’ not a presidential library. So taxpayers shouldn’t be paying for anything."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-obama-center-can-afford-more-than-1-rent-1533936141

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited August 2018
    Should they pay for Trumps golf trips and farting in front of the television instead of working?

(Couldn't read the article, you need to subscribe)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Should they pay for Trumps golf trips and farting in front of the television instead of working?

Well he is the hardest working president ever !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Don't forget his dry cleaning as well (when he soils his big size 48 tighty whities).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    I kinda like the idea of presidential libraries and think we should create them and fund them.  More as a museum of the times and the person.  Or if you want something where they are all put together....build a new smithsonian museum akin to the hall of presidents ;)

Regardless it's history we need to preserve and show in a way that future generations WANT to learn about it.  

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Only subscribers to WSJ can read the article.  Great post!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    so what we were allowed to read before the subscribe button was road and infrastructure improvements paid for by the state?

I wonder what the ROI will end up being given his popularity with a slight majority of the country? to what degree will small business will benefit. usual stuff, hotels, restaurants, other shopping.

would assume, aside from standard tourist visits there would be conferences held etc that would draw too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    There was controversy in Chicago about location.  They wanted valuable park space instead of vacant industrial space, haven’t followed up to see if there was resolution.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874

Just a FYI: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-presidential-vacations/2014/08/15/2aa969c6-2311-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html?utm_term=.5db27bb7cd7b

Presidents pay for their own and their families’ lodging, food and incidentals while on vacation, which may be why they generally prefer to stay at properties they own, as guests of wealthy friends or at the official presidential retreat at Camp David.

But since presidential vacations are always working vacations, taxpayers cover what it takes to keep the commander in chief working. Lodging and meals are an extra cost, but taxpayers pay the salaries of White House staffers and Secret Service agents whether the president stays in Washington or not, so a presidential vacation does not significantly increase personnel costs.

The biggest additional expense is the use of Air Force One and the support aircraft needed to haul all the equipment and ground transportation the president needs. The Congressional Research Service estimated that the cost of operating Air Force One is nearly $180,000 per hour. Ultimately, a presidential vacation can cost taxpayers an additional $1 million or considerably more than if the president had just stayed put in the White House. How significant this is within a $3.5 trillion federal budget is something voters can decide for themselves.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

Just a FYI: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-presidential-vacations/2014/08/15/2aa969c6-2311-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html?utm_term=.5db27bb7cd7b

Presidents pay for their own and their families’ lodging, food and incidentals while on vacation, which may be why they generally prefer to stay at properties they own, as guests of wealthy friends or at the official presidential retreat at Camp David.

But since presidential vacations are always working vacations, taxpayers cover what it takes to keep the commander in chief working. Lodging and meals are an extra cost, but taxpayers pay the salaries of White House staffers and Secret Service agents whether the president stays in Washington or not, so a presidential vacation does not significantly increase personnel costs.

The biggest additional expense is the use of Air Force One and the support aircraft needed to haul all the equipment and ground transportation the president needs. The Congressional Research Service estimated that the cost of operating Air Force One is nearly $180,000 per hour. Ultimately, a presidential vacation can cost taxpayers an additional $1 million or considerably more than if the president had just stayed put in the White House. How significant this is within a $3.5 trillion federal budget is something voters can decide for themselves.

What about food and lodging for the agents?  Golf cart rentals for one trip (criminallypaid to Trump himself) probably adds up to more than we make in a year.

I don't have a problem with taking vacations, but they sure as fuck shouldn't enrich the fucking POTUS!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What about food and lodging for the agents?  Golf cart rentals for one trip (criminallypaid to Trump himself) probably adds up to more than we make in a year.

I don't have a problem with taking vacations, but they sure as fuck shouldn't enrich the fucking POTUS!
    I would assume you and I are paying for food and lodging for the agents but he owns the golf course in this instance so I would hope they don't charge him for a golf cart rental lol.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    The issues with his multiple vacations are:

1. He bitched about Obama's vacations and he takes more
    2. He stated that he would not have time to golf because he would have so much work to do
    3. His companies collect money from the gov't to house staff and SS agents.  He actually profits from going on vacation.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    None of these vacations, from either side, have anything to do with the subject.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I would bet a paycheck that Mar A Lago is charging for every possible service, and premium rates at that. Trump’s not the type of person to leave money on the table. 

What a f’ing disgrace this entire administration is... a complete embarrassment. 

I’m with the OP, government spending is out of control. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,599
    What if it’s for preservation of the white race?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    unsung said:
    None of these vacations, from either side, have anything to do with the subject.
    You mean the thread got side-tracked.  That never happens here!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsung said:
    Well we can't read your article being behind a paywall, so let us discuss something.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    so his beef is 174 million in state dollars are going towards roads etc in relation to Obamas political foundation as opposed to a traditional presidential library.

at least tgats my understanding from what we could read.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

He's also got all his adult children under the protection of the Secret Service wherever they go, as well as Trump Tower, and it's costing MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS extra.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He's also got all his adult children under the protection of the Secret Service wherever they go, as well as Trump Tower, and it's costing MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS extra.
    https://people.howstuffworks.com/why-does-the-secret-service-protect-a-presidents-adult-children.htm
    According to federal law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect the sitting U.S. president and vice president (or the next-in-line for the presidency), their immediate families, and all former U.S. presidents and their spouses, as well as their children under age 16. While in office, neither the president nor the vice president can decline Secret Service protection, but their spouses and adult children can.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

https://people.howstuffworks.com/why-does-the-secret-service-protect-a-presidents-adult-children.htm
    According to federal law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect the sitting U.S. president and vice president (or the next-in-line for the presidency), their immediate families, and all former U.S. presidents and their spouses, as well as their children under age 16. While in office, neither the president nor the vice president can decline Secret Service protection, but their spouses and adult children can.
    And they don't.
    And having Trump Tower protected, as well as his various golf resorts when he's there, which is often, is absolutely creating massive additional expenses. Also, it does not break even when he and his are being protected away from the White House at all. It's much more expensive to do it elsewhere.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And they don't.
    And having Trump Tower protected, as well as his various golf resorts when he's there, which is often, is absolutely creating massive additional expenses. Also, it does not break even when he and his are being protected away from the White House at all. It's much more expensive to do it elsewhere.
    Honestly I would not decline protection, would you?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And they don't.
    I wouldn't fucking have anything to do with that scumbag, and especially wouldn't work in the White House with him, even if he were my dad, so yes, I'd decline it, as I wouldn't need it. I would have disowned him by now.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And they don't.
    I wouldn't fucking have anything to do with that scumbag, and especially wouldn't work in the White House with him, even if he were my dad, so yes, I'd decline it, as I wouldn't need it. I would have disowned him by now.
    No dork I was trying to say if your dad (not Trump) was president would you decline the protection of the secret service?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,618
    trump’s privately owned business is benefitting monetarily at a direct expense to taxpayers. An ethical violation like this would get most government employees fired and any elected
    official to be removed. Just another day in trump world though. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And they don't.
    No dork I was trying to say if your dad (not Trump) was president would you decline the protection of the secret service?
    I don't know. I am not sure what it's like to have it, and don't know if I would feel under threat.
    I know his piece of shit kids are because they're so easy to hate, lol.
    Really I just think that this kids shouldn't have anything to do with the White House because of all the massive conflicts of interest. If they weren't involved in the politics at all, I don't think they'd have the protection, and wouldn't need it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And they don't.
    I don't know. I am not sure what it's like to have it, and don't know if I would feel under threat.
    Really I just think that this kids shouldn't have anything to do with the White House because of all the massive conflicts of interest. If they weren't involved in the politics at all, I don't think they'd have the protection, and wouldn't need it.
    Yeah I totally agree with you about his kids.  However you do see the need to have secret service protecting the kid(s) of Clinton, W and Obama right?
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    Man.  People soon forget about all those Obama Hawaii vacations, golf trips, etc.  He was just like every other prez in taking time off same as 45.  Obama was no saint slaving 100 hours a week for the people unless you truly are thick in the head.  You guys need to get a grip and quit drinking all that kool aid ffs.  I sure hope people are smarter than this......
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And they don't.
    Yeah I totally agree with you about his kids.  However you do see the need to have secret service protecting the kid(s) of Clinton, W and Obama right?
    Well no, not really. I don't really think that if their kids were full grown adults with their own lives when those two were in office, and not living at the WH, then they wouldn't have had secret service protection.
  • Options
    Man.  People soon forget about all those Obama Hawaii vacations, golf trips, etc.  He was just like every other prez in taking time off same as 45.  Obama was no saint slaving 100 hours a week for the people unless you truly are thick in the head.  You guys need to get a grip and quit drinking all that kool aid ffs.  I sure hope people are smarter than this......
    You seem to be the smartest guy in the room.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484
    You seem to be the smartest guy in the room.

Lol