Options

'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    edited August 2018
    I'd love to see one small items/poster express line. No apparel. Just things that either you want or don't - posters, stickers, cards, etc. Faster restocking because the focus of that line would be a limited set of items. No waiting behind someone trying on things, faster movement of the general line, and most poster fans (and at worst casual flippers vs $1,000+ order flippers) will get their stuff quicker.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Not to keep harping on Fenway, but the super long order person wasn't really a problem. Once you got to the front of the line, someone was there to help direct you to the next available staff member. There was no risk of choosing the wrong line - turnover was pretty constant. Seems to be the best way to manage this issue.
  • Options
    andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,962
    dutz054 said:
    Side note: the person next to me in line got turned away for a Faile poster because they were out at the time. The lines inside hadn’t been opened 15 minutes. They were all being restocked as they went, but he didn’t get a Faile because it was out at the time. 
    This is a problem and really shitty. When I was waiting for merch in Boston in 2016 the same thing happened with The Catch.  They sold out about 20 people ahead of me and then by the time I got up they had restocked.  

If they know they have more coming they should accommodate people who have waited hours and don’t get what they want simply because of bad timing.  
    This is another reason I am not waiting in line.  Too many uncertainties.  I would love to have two BK posters -- one for myself and one for the fund raiser/contest we are in (I committed to providing a poster from Seattle to the pool) but I cannot abide standing in line for a long time and having something like this happen.  I would, foolishly, let that rain on my parade.  F it.  I am there to enjoy the people,the place, and the band...if I get lucky and someone grabs 1 for me, great.  Otherwise I will overpay after for the 1 that I committed to providing and somewhere down the road will hunt/trade for 1 for my own wall.

Just sell the darn things as options when we buy tickets!  (Please)
    Just get them on the 10c drop, got to think they won't be insta sell outs
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    dutz054 said:
    Side note: the person next to me in line got turned away for a Faile poster because they were out at the time. The lines inside hadn’t been opened 15 minutes. They were all being restocked as they went, but he didn’t get a Faile because it was out at the time. 
    This is a problem and really shitty. When I was waiting for merch in Boston in 2016 the same thing happened with The Catch.  They sold out about 20 people ahead of me and then by the time I got up they had restocked.  

If they know they have more coming they should accommodate people who have waited hours and don’t get what they want simply because of bad timing.  
    This is another reason I am not waiting in line.  Too many uncertainties.  I would love to have two BK posters -- one for myself and one for the fund raiser/contest we are in (I committed to providing a poster from Seattle to the pool) but I cannot abide standing in line for a long time and having something like this happen.  I would, foolishly, let that rain on my parade.  F it.  I am there to enjoy the people,the place, and the band...if I get lucky and someone grabs 1 for me, great.  Otherwise I will overpay after for the 1 that I committed to providing and somewhere down the road will hunt/trade for 1 for my own wall.

Just sell the darn things as options when we buy tickets!  (Please)
    Just get them on the 10c drop, got to think they won't be insta sell outs
    Hi there - yeah, not a bad idea, but I dont know about the insta sell outs. 
    One friendly soul is happy to grab one for me if they have one when he goes through the line. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    What time did they stop letting people line up last night? 
    1996- New York - Downing Stadium
    1998- Tibetan Freedom Concert
    2000- Seattle
    2005 - Vancouver
    2009- Vancouver
    2011-Vancouver
    2013 - Vancouver
    2016 - Ottawa
    2016 - Toronto 1
    2016 - Toronto 2
    2018 - Seattle 1
    2018 - Seattle 2
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    This is all just insane. 5 days of merch sales for two 3 hours concerts.......
    people waited in line longer than the actual show!!! For merch!!!
    i get a little bit wanting first row but a poster? Hat?
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    The popularity for merch is crazy and that a band almost 30 years into their careers is still crazy popular. But I get peoples desire to have a poster/hat/shirt/ephemera. Especially since they don't play many shows any more and that the merch is generally show exclusive. 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,802
    pjl44 said:
    Not to keep harping on Fenway, but the super long order person wasn't really a problem. Once you got to the front of the line, someone was there to help direct you to the next available staff member. There was no risk of choosing the wrong line - turnover was pretty constant. Seems to be the best way to manage this issue.
    I experienced that as well.  The staff kept things moving along 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    As said above, Fenway 2016 was very well organized in my opinion. Multiple set ups, multiple times. I basically walked right up at one point and everything was available except the catch poster.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Given2FlyGiven2Fly Seattle Posts: 168
    Hopefully they fix some of the bullshit today.. I'm heading down about 11 to "work from line." Hoping it goes better than yesterday with the combo of no Mariners game and it being a work day.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    TM307021TM307021 Raleigh, NC Posts: 42

I definitely want 1 poster but may have to wait and see and possibly pay double online vs losing out on 3 hours of Seattle time (it's a vacation for me).  It's not worth my blood boiling watching people buy 5 bags of stuff.  I can't help but picture a Portlandia skit in my head where Fred and Carrie wait in line 6 hours to buy $5k worth of merch, miss the show for it, and then get home to see it's all on the website.

Raleigh - 2003

MSG NYC 1&2 - 2016

Fenway 2 - 2016

Seattle 2 - 2018

Missoula - 2018

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    pjpitt89 said:
    As said above, Fenway 2016 was very well organized in my opinion. Multiple set ups, multiple times. I basically walked right up at one point and everything was available except the catch poster.
    Fenway was great.  this seems like they divided you into lines so that if you got behind someone buying that much stuff you were shit out of luck.  
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,868
    JP218404 said:
    mpedone said:
    JP218404 said:
    hihobibo said:
    JP218404 said:
    A 10C ticket lottery winner bundle would be best IMO.  ya win the lottery you get  to buy the unique show shirt and poster only.  works better for a full tour rather than the stadium shows but still would help. my guess is some people would still line up and flip but at least you can get those items easier if you choose to.  I bet we are all willing to pay a little extra for this type of option too.
    But then you'd get flippers willing to forfeit the cost of one ticket in order to makeup their loss by transfer /selling the other ticket and flipping the pre sale merch. Nothing will work until everything is mass produced to take away the limited nature of the items. 
    Hey I’m just trying to think of a way that people who want that can get it problem free. Of course there will be issues but at least a good group of fans will get takin care of
    So, you solve a problem for a select group of fans, while possibly making it worse for others, while completely ignoring that this "Gotta have it!" attitude is what enables flippers (and general craziness) in the first place. I don't know how to fix that, but making some merch MORE exclusive is not the answer.
    More about people waiting 45 minutes to an hour for one person to buy everything as well attempting to make it a little more difficult for the flippers. 

Ultimately I will always believe a bundle for people who won ten club tix would be best 

My point is, I don't think this would help anyone but the (relative) handful of 10C members who got tickets. Here's my thinking:
    First, merch lines are not just 10 Club members. Pulling that group out of the lines wouldn't significantly impact wait times. Not to mention, there's other merch they may want.
    Second, if they sell bundles, those posters probably come out of the print run. No reason to print more posters when a chunk of the fansbase has no need to go to the merch stand. That makes it harder to get posters at the merch stands, which increases value for flippers. Now, granted, there may be overlap between that chunk of 10C fans and the flipper's potential customer base, but at best that feels like a wash.
    Third, what about non-10C members, or members who don't get tickets through the lottery? They learn that some fans already have the poster/shirt, and that increases demand as well.

I think the only way to really battle the flippers is to only sell merch inside. Yes, there would still be plenty who would take advantage of this, but it would be WAY more equitable to all going to the shows.

Really, though, the BEST thing to do is to take a deep breath, step back from all of the merch and repeat to yourself, "The experience is more important than the memorabilia" over and over until you really believe. Then, if you like a poster and it's available buy it. If not, go inside and enjoy the show. Pearl Jam puts merch out there, like every band does. It's on us fans to not go crazy and create the after-market for this stuff.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    jryken99jryken99 Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    My experience yesterday - Got there around 5:45 pm - not a single person in line outside. 1 person in front of me at the booth. From the time I parked my car until I was driving off again, maybe 20 minutes. Just grabbed a couple of shirts and koozies. It looked like they had plenty of everything - posters and all.

• Options
    DE483DE483 Posts: 428
    jryken99 said:
    My experience yesterday - Got there around 5:45 pm - not a single person in line outside. 1 person in front of me at the booth. From the time I parked my car until I was driving off again, maybe 20 minutes. Just grabbed a couple of shirts and koozies. It looked like they had plenty of everything - posters and all.
    That's awesome!
  • Options
    For anybody there yesterday, did they have poster tubes and if so how much were they? Forgot mine when I left the house this morning :(
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    mpedone said:
    JP218404 said:
    mpedone said:
    JP218404 said:
    hihobibo said:
    JP218404 said:
    A 10C ticket lottery winner bundle would be best IMO.  ya win the lottery you get  to buy the unique show shirt and poster only.  works better for a full tour rather than the stadium shows but still would help. my guess is some people would still line up and flip but at least you can get those items easier if you choose to.  I bet we are all willing to pay a little extra for this type of option too.
    But then you'd get flippers willing to forfeit the cost of one ticket in order to makeup their loss by transfer /selling the other ticket and flipping the pre sale merch. Nothing will work until everything is mass produced to take away the limited nature of the items. 
    Hey I’m just trying to think of a way that people who want that can get it problem free. Of course there will be issues but at least a good group of fans will get takin care of
    So, you solve a problem for a select group of fans, while possibly making it worse for others, while completely ignoring that this "Gotta have it!" attitude is what enables flippers (and general craziness) in the first place. I don't know how to fix that, but making some merch MORE exclusive is not the answer.
    More about people waiting 45 minutes to an hour for one person to buy everything as well attempting to make it a little more difficult for the flippers. 

Ultimately I will always believe a bundle for people who won ten club tix would be best 

My point is, I don't think this would help anyone but the (relative) handful of 10C members who got tickets. Here's my thinking:
    First, merch lines are not just 10 Club members. Pulling that group out of the lines wouldn't significantly impact wait times. Not to mention, there's other merch they may want.
    Second, if they sell bundles, those posters probably come out of the print run. No reason to print more posters when a chunk of the fansbase has no need to go to the merch stand. That makes it harder to get posters at the merch stands, which increases value for flippers. Now, granted, there may be overlap between that chunk of 10C fans and the flipper's potential customer base, but at best that feels like a wash.
    Third, what about non-10C members, or members who don't get tickets through the lottery? They learn that some fans already have the poster/shirt, and that increases demand as well.

I think the only way to really battle the flippers is to only sell merch inside. Yes, there would still be plenty who would take advantage of this, but it would be WAY more equitable to all going to the shows.

Really, though, the BEST thing to do is to take a deep breath, step back from all of the merch and repeat to yourself, "The experience is more important than the memorabilia" over and over until you really believe. Then, if you like a poster and it's available buy it. If not, go inside and enjoy the show. Pearl Jam puts merch out there, like every band does. It's on us fans to not go crazy and create the after-market for this stuff.
    oh I have NO plans at all of wasting hours of my time in Chicago or Boston on a line in the HOPES that a shirt or a couple other things are there.  I figured out how to get things in 2016 for what the cost and that was it.  if I get nothing, so be it.  

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    jryken99 said:

That is too funny. Did the same in Boston in 2016. Outside of the Catch poster, got everything i wanted in less than 20 minutes .
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 386
    So the lesson seems to be avoid day 1 at the start... 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited August 2018
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Mikemzl91 said:
    Thank you sticker flipper. 
    That seller had a lot of bootleg stickers for sale.  I wasn’t sure if they were selling real Seattle stickers or fake ones.
    Yep, once I entered the merch tent it was very nice with about 10 or more individual lines, I ended up in a line where three people (they all knew each other, perhaps traveling together) from Brazil each bought over $1,500.  Each one of the three bought over $1,500, it looked like they bought the limit of each item available.  I asked the young lady who helped me how much each order was and she said $1,500.  One of the three had previously been in another line and completed a large order and joined the other two in my line, we didn't expect him to do another purchase.  The bummer for me as each order took about 40 minutes to assemble, add up, and check out.  Two other folks ahead of me and several behind me must have waited over two hours for those three people to finish.  I got in line at 10:50 and left the merch tent at 3:30.  I'm not even exaggerating.  Link to some video I took:

she is not from brazil.but from mexico,she is a huge fan and collector and a very respectful fan in pj community
    Post edited by Sea on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    edited August 2018
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Mikemzl91 said:
    That seller had a lot of bootleg stickers for sale.  I wasn’t sure if they were selling real Seattle stickers or fake ones.
    Yep, once I entered the merch tent it was very nice with about 10 or more individual lines, I ended up in a line where three people (they all knew each other, perhaps traveling together) from Brazil each bought over $1,500.  Each one of the three bought over $1,500, it looked like they bought the limit of each item available.  I asked the young lady who helped me how much each order was and she said $1,500.  One of the three had previously been in another line and completed a large order and joined the other two in my line, we didn't expect him to do another purchase.  The bummer for me as each order took about 40 minutes to assemble, add up, and check out.  Two other folks ahead of me and several behind me must have waited over two hours for those three people to finish.  I got in line at 10:50 and left the merch tent at 3:30.  I'm not even exaggerating.  Link to some video I took:

she is not from brazil.but from mexico,she is a huge fan and collector and a very respectful fan in pj community
    So she keeps all that stuff? 
    Post edited by Sea on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dimitrispearljam said:
    Rhetorical questions for $100, Alex.
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,142
    Given2Fly said:
    dimitrispearljam said:
    Rhetorical questions for $100, Alex.

+1
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    jryken99 said:

This is good to hear. I am getting in around 5 tomorrow and may head straight there just to see what they have at that time and see if I can save time later in the trip. Might just get what I can get and then if I want something else see if I can get them inside the shows.
  • Options
    Given2Fly said:
    For anybody there yesterday, did they have poster tubes and if so how much were they? Forgot mine when I left the house this morning :(

Yes they have tubes, they are $2
  • Options
    skinnypig said:
    Given2Fly said:

Yes they have tubes, they are $2
    Perfect thanks!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited August 2018
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Mikemzl91 said:

As i said, huge collector, very well respected fan in pj community. 
    And For sure the pj flippers are not fans from mexico.  its an  inside job, no need tot built a wall. 
    Post edited by Sea on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    edited August 2018
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Mikemzl91 said:

Respectful flipper
    Post edited by Sea on
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
This discussion has been closed.