Options

Stop with the anti-Trump crusade, it's boring!

Comments

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Let your lyrics do the talking. A rant from Ed won’t change anyones mind in attendance. I applaud his activism, but speak out and have your moments more outside of tour time. It’s not like you are on the road most of the year anymore and it definitely isn’t their only platform to be heard. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Let your lyrics do the talking. A rant from Ed won’t change anyones mind in attendance. I applaud his activism, but speak out and have your moments more outside of tour time. It’s not like you are on the road most of the year anymore and it definitely isn’t their only platform to be heard. 

They play from their hearts. Their (Ed's) rants aren't programmed. When he's moved to speak about something... he does it. He's not considering time and place and weighing out the pros and cons... he's being himself.

It's his moment as much as it is ours. They're in control of the mic just as we are in control to go to the bathroom when they play Even Flow.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I want Stone to get more involved- enough of Ed. A “fuck trump” line or wiping his ass with a trump mask then hurling it into the front row would get me excited.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    NewJPage said:
    I've not always agreed with the political views but have had zero issues with Eddie (or anyone in the band) vocalizing their opinions.  I've always thought it was funny when people complain that they do.   They've spoken out about issues since day one.  You are a consumer, if you don't like the product enough that you plead for them to stop then maybe it's you that needs to find a new product to spend your money on.   I see both sides and in the past 3-4 years I have lost a little respect for how he's chosen to speak out.  I feel like it has gone from standing up for morals and supporting what's right to standing up for a specific party.   I believe both sides are corrupt.      
    He's actually been less vocal than he was during Bush era, but your "both sides are corrupt" needs to be reexamined. If you think there is any equivalence you are either massively uninformed just being lazy.
      ok!  what was I thinking.  Sorry.  
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,899
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I never minded the banter from Ed, just don't ramble on and on and on like sometimes he does.  (case in point, msg 1 98 when they brought out the 3000 boxes representing the whitewater investigation...ugh).
    Quickly make your point and then look at Mike to start the next song.  
    I guess the 12,000 boxes for Team Trump Treason’s impeachment will send you to the beer and merch lines then?
    As long as you are next to me on line.  ;)
    I’ll get the beers, you get the merch.

Tricky! You chose the easier line. 
    I don't know about that.  Will people really line up for a t-shirt that has a four eyed animal on it?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,581
    Fuck Trump. We need more people with a microphone speaking out against the Mango Mussolini.Thank you PJ for doing what you can.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Let the band say what they want. In the United States, it's covered under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, and else where it's covered under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,986
    8mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I never minded the banter from Ed, just don't ramble on and on and on like sometimes he does.  (case in point, msg 1 98 when they brought out the 3000 boxes representing the whitewater investigation...ugh).
    Quickly make your point and then look at Mike to start the next song.  
    I guess the 12,000 boxes for Team Trump Treason’s impeachment will send you to the beer and merch lines then?
    As long as you are next to me on line.  ;)
    I’ll get the beers, you get the merch.

Tricky! You chose the easier line. 
    I don't know about that.  Will people really line up for a t-shirt that has a four eyed animal on it?
    Oh man those sheep buying up all the 4 eyed  merch were in their 100s
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Vedd Hedd said:
    People are still supporting Trump?

Dear god, why?

Because her emails.

Duh.

(Whatever smiley face you'd like here.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    kb272930kb272930 Posts: 62
    NewJPage said:
    I've not always agreed with the political views but have had zero issues with Eddie (or anyone in the band) vocalizing their opinions.  I've always thought it was funny when people complain that they do.   They've spoken out about issues since day one.  You are a consumer, if you don't like the product enough that you plead for them to stop then maybe it's you that needs to find a new product to spend your money on.   I see both sides and in the past 3-4 years I have lost a little respect for how he's chosen to speak out.  I feel like it has gone from standing up for morals and supporting what's right to standing up for a specific party.   I believe both sides are corrupt.      
    He's actually been less vocal than he was during Bush era, but your "both sides are corrupt" needs to be reexamined. If you think there is any equivalence you are either massively uninformed just being lazy.
      ok!  what was I thinking.  Sorry.  
    So anyone who supports the President or doesn't want to be bothered at all is lazy and uninformed ? Maybe you are correct and I need to find a new product because honestly I don't need Pearl Jam and/ or their fans telling me how I should think .
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,486
    Vedd Hedd said:
    People are still supporting Trump?

Dear god, why?

Because her emails.

Duh.

(Whatever smiley face you'd like here.)
    Believe me....i'm no fan of Hillary Clinton.   Not at all.  And I COMPLETELY understand why people would want to say, "Fuck it, lets see what Trump can do".   I REALLY Get that....but at this point...Trump has shown his true colors.   I understand if you supported Trump before, and wanted to see something different.  But after doing all the things he has done....I dont understand how anyone wants him to remain as president.   
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    The irony is that people like Eddie, Jimmy Kimmel, Maxine Waters, Peter Fonda, Kathy Griffin et al. are all but ensuring President Trump's re-election.
  • Options
    PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 673
    It would be nice if Pearl Jam would use their collective energy to create a full record of new music that might actually make the band relevant again.  Instead they use the easy target of politics to get internet headlines. Sorry your team lost guys get over it and be part of the solution not the problem. If Ed wants to be politician then go for it, talk is cheap.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    edited June 2018
    Peter Fonda and his opinions are still relevant?    Kathy Griffin never was.  Jimmy Kimmel, like Ed, means well but is white noise to me when it comes to his political opinions.   
    Post edited by faithful2you on
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,581
    shecky said:
    The irony is that people like Eddie, Jimmy Kimmel, Maxine Waters, Peter Fonda, Kathy Griffin et al. are all but ensuring President Trump's re-election.
    Bullshit. Trump is maxed out on votes with the people that still support him. The key is all of us that hate his fucking guts get out and vote against him and everyone supporting him. Also, the dems could give us a decent candidate next time. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    shecky said:
    Such a copout. Anyone hiding behind this as a rationale to vote for Trump deep down knows he and his policies are wrong but wants to support them anyway.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    PJINFLA said:
    It would be nice if Pearl Jam would use their collective energy to create a full record of new music that might actually make the band relevant again.  Instead they use the easy target of politics to get internet headlines. Sorry your team lost guys get over it and be part of the solution not the problem. If Ed wants to be politician then go for it, talk is cheap.
    Wow... your whole country lost. Do you not understand that?
  • Options
    kb272930kb272930 Posts: 62
    Like the NFL and most of Hollywood Eddie thinks he is elightened and using his platform for good . But most sane people view them as entertainers and pay them well for thier product not thier political opinions .
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    can Trump get me one ticket for Wrigley Night 1?  no? then fuck him!
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    kb272930 said:
    Like the NFL and most of Hollywood Eddie thinks he is elightened and using his platform for good . But most sane people view them as entertainers and pay them well for thier product not thier political opinions .
    Wow

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJINFLA said:
    I imagine the band is just as relevant as they want to be, and using their stage in exactly the way they want to. Are they “using the easy target of politics to get internet headlines”?  If so, they were doing that from before there was an internet.

And certainly some talk is cheap. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Tiki said:
    I just got this from my US Senator Chris Van Hollen...

I suppose it's WAY too Boring to read

One week ago, on Father’s Day, I traveled to the U.S.-Mexico border in Texas with my colleague, Senator Merkley, to investigate the reports of children being forcibly separated from their parents. What I witnessed confirmed my worst fears about the Trump Administration's cruel and inhumane family separation policy.

Our first stop was the Ursula Border Patrol Processing Center in McAllen – the center that is locally known as the “dog kennel” for the large pens of chain-link fencing that separately hold men, women, and children. We were not allowed to talk to the children, but we did talk to a mother named Reina –  who had fled Guatemala with her daugher after local gangs threatened to kill them both. Reina's daughter was taken from her at the Center and she had no idea where she was. She feared that she would never see her daughter again.

After this stop, we traveled to the Hidalgo Port of Entry – a bridge that spans the Rio Grande, where asylum-seekers should be allowed to cross legally and safely into the United States to have their claims processed. However, the pedestrian crossing had been effectively closed to people seeking asylum. Local volunteers informed us that two weeks earlier asylum seekers had been left stranded on the bridge for days without food and water. Not surprisingly, they gave up and many then sought to cross the river in boats, only to be arrested and have their children taken from them. 

Our next stop was a former Walmart super-store that has been converted into the Children’s Facility in Brownsville. This facility houses over 1,200 boys ages ten and up. Although we were able to tour the facility, Trump Administration officials refused to let us speak with the children. While it’s clear that the employees at this Center were doing their best to care for these children, the place was crammed and overflowing with boys as the Trump Administration was separating more and more kids from their parents. 

Our last stop of the day was the Port Isabel ICE Detention Center. At the Detention Center, I heard gut-wrenching testimony from ten women in their blue prison jumpsuits who had fled extreme violence in Central America only to be arrested and have their children taken away from them when they reached the United States. These women were completely distraught over the possibility that they may never be reunited with their children. 

In the days following our trip, people in Maryland and in every state have risen up to condemn this shameful policy. And, because of the outcry, President Trump finally bent to public pressure to reverse his despicable child separation policy. But our work is not done.

This new Executive Order does nothing to reunite the children who have already been taken from their parents. We have reports of children in Maryland as young as 18 months old who have been forcibly taken from their parents, and we cannot rest until these families are back together. The Executive Order also appears to subject children to indefinite imprisonment – which is unacceptable and violates previous court rulings. Bringing families back together just to lock them up again in prison camps is not a solution. There are better ways to manage this process that allow families to stay together while they go through the asylum process. The previous Administration had a program to keep kids out of jail, preserve opportunities for asylum, and enforce our laws.

Some families will meet the test to be granted asylum; others won't. But, as they go through that process, we should not be taking children from their parents or locking them up indefinitely. There are better ways that have proven to be effective. So please, keep speaking out and making your voices heard. Together, we can have secure borders and can stand up for the values that make America a beacon of light and hope to the rest of the world.

This is FASCISM.  Not BORING.

To NOT SPEAK out AGAINST it is IRRESPONSIBLE. 

Thanks for posting this.  I love our US senators!  Our state's attorney general Brian Frosh, and even our governor Larry Hogan (R) who I don't always agree with on everything, but is a shining example of someone who can set party lines aside, works on both sides of the aisle, and has spoken out against Trump's incompetence on multiple occasions.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Lol. Lost the crowd.. Lol
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,440
    edited June 2018
    PJINFLA said:
    The band has been outspoken their entire career.  They didn't just cook this up as a publicity stunt because they can't sell 10 million records anymore.

And by the way... my "team" is America so I guess on that we can agree  - America definitely lost with Trump becoming president.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Just to see stone’s trump assmask slam against some guy’s face in the first row in slow mo on the big screen would make it all worthwhile.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    this is anything but boring...........  :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    edited June 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Believe me....i'm no fan of Hillary Clinton.   Not at all.  And I COMPLETELY understand why people would want to say, "Fuck it, lets see what Trump can do".   I REALLY Get that....but at this point...Trump has shown his true colors.   I understand if you supported Trump before, and wanted to see something different.  But after doing all the things he has done....I dont understand how anyone wants him to remain as president.   
    I've heard this argument a lot, but I don't understand how anyone could've watched Trump from the moment he declared in July 2015, through election day, and say that they are now surprised at what they see.

If this is what you (edit: I mean "you" in the general sense here, not specifically referring to Vedd Head) want and what you voted for, then fine, more power to you. But if you believed the narrative that he would be "a breath of fresh air" and that he would "pivot" once he won, then you just weren't paying attention.
    Post edited by AO253126 on
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited June 2018
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Wow

The reason is they are very wealthy entertainers that don't live in the same world as the rest of the country. They live in a catered to world. They aren't experiencing the same issues the everyday average person is experiencing therefore most people aren't listening or just get pissed off about it. It's the don't tell me how to think when you're not walking in my shoes. 
    They do however have the right to voice their viewpoint. Just keep in mind they might be harming their cause more than helping. 
    Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    Lost the crowd for about a half hour in Padova after EV's latest outburst although got it back to complete an outstanding show.

It needs to stop, it's boring & they need to show some respect to those who don't share their views.

Anyway, onwards to Rome we go.....
    Probably best to stay home bud...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    This band has always been political. It is who they are. Every one knows that at this point. If you go to a show, you are acknowledging that is part of it and are still paying to be there. "I'm just there for the music" Well, too bad. Eddie will always say political things. Deal with it, or don't go. They won't have any problem selling your ticket to someone else.
This discussion has been closed.