Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    Anam.Anam. Posts: 14
    Love it. The world needs rock'n'roll just now. 
  • Options
    wishlisa76wishlisa76 Sweden Posts: 806
    edited March 2018
    I like it. The sound of the typewriter, Eddie´s angry/sarcastic "haha", the rythm. As a non-English speaker, I realized just how angry it is when listening to the song and reading the lyrics. Eddie is pissed off. I love how PJ always shows up with a surprise when you least expect it.
    Post edited by wishlisa76 on
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"

PJ in Stockholm, Sweden, 7th July 2012. EV solo in London, 31st July 2012. PJ in Stockholm 28th of June 2014. PJ in Milton Keynes UK, 11th of July 2014, Eddie solo in London 6th of June 2017. PJ London 18th of June, 2018, and 17th of July, 2018.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Downloaded can't open.. Aggg 
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,342
    JD Sal said:
    New Pearl Jam is good and the lyrics are decent, but anyone else hearing the Kokomo vibe? lol

"The higher, the farther, the faster you fly"

"Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go"
    After the first listen I texted my friends that same thing!  Ha.  
    It wasn't as obvious to me as the jeepers creepers vibe that near instantly tainted my perception of let the records play.
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    PJ clearly not protesting the modeling agency...

They could have done tons with this song and related it to human struggle with real imagery.  Instead its just another staged attractive face and edgy graphic design
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    Would be fun if they popped up on Colbert or Fallon and played this. Curious to see if this will be a staple this tour.  Feels a bit like Got Some crossed with Soundgardens “By Crooked Steps” from King Animal
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I really enjoyed the song when I listened to it this morning. I didn't have a few few minutes last night where I could listen to it properly so I waited. I hope they play it when I see them this year. There's no point in getting butthurt that they don't sound like they used to in the 1990s anymore.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Same here. I'll guess I'll have to wait til the single arrives at my house to hear it!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    So will physical singles be sent out to anyone who was a member of the Ten Club in 2017? I only joined last year so this is all kind of new to me.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

I’ve given it a few listens now, it’s ok but it’s not something I will be adding to my playlist. Musically it just doesn’t sound right to me. I am glad that there is new music though. 

NYPJ
  • Options
    I also made the mistake of reading a good chunk of this thread before I listened to it so was spotting a lot of the different things that people had pointed out that it reminded them of. The Sleep Now In The Fire reference, etc. was the main one. However, I still really enjoyed the song.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    rvapete said:

They could have done tons with this song and related it to human struggle with real imagery.  Instead its just another staged attractive face and edgy graphic design
    Really? I guess everyone has an opinion. But are you really complaining about the artwork? Really?
  • Options
    Yeah. I don't get why people are complaining about the artwork when there's MUCH worse examples of bad artwork out there by pretty good bands.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i'm just gonna start calling them dad jam
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    rvapete said:

Really? I guess everyone has an opinion. But are you really complaining about the artwork? Really?
    Pearl Jam could put on a free show in a open field in every region of America and people would still complain 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    The complaining in this thread is even too much for me.. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    definitely don’t go near the facebook comments then
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    Same here. I'll guess I'll have to wait til the single arrives at my house to hear it!

Was able to open on mobile Android fairly quickly

The only catch...luckily an extract option appeared after it downloaded to my phone. I selected that and the song was in my library. It's a zip file so needs to be extracted.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    edited March 2018
    song is solid AF, but also its a great change in pace.  The thing that hooked me on this band was the progression of the music over the years, from one album to the next.  I wouldn't say they stopped,  and I DO like the albums, but Backspacer and Lightning bolt had me a little worried they were done stretching in the studio. 
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    jesus. all those assholes have been saying this band sucks since no code. why do they follow them on social media then?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I think a lot of people don't know the difference between an annual/holiday single and the first single from a new record.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    jesus. all those assholes have been saying this band sucks since no code. why do they follow them on social media then?
    People just like to hear themselves talk sometimes. And they want to know when the goods drop so they can do their waffles. lol

Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    Fantastic!  Yes, Ed and members are angry...good to hear they're still kicking!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    “That’s the best bass player I have ever heard.”
    https://youtu.be/Sx7eqdkwxEw
    “The mother, the father, the serpent, the priest. The foreman, the woman, the widow, the beast.”

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    It’s just the times we live in, social media is like 80% bitching and complaining.  Steer clear if you want to remain positive!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Tiz10Tiz10 South Florida Posts: 270
    My personal opinion, which, in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing, is that this is another "Ole'".

kinda feels as if they put "round lyrics" into a "square song" if that makes sense to anyone other than me lol
    almost as if eddie had to "smush" the lyrics down to get them into the music. Wish mike had a solo in it, mightve given it some zing zing lol
    Its not my favorite but I dont hate it. I am also in the group of happy to have new music for the fact that they are still jammin and writing.
    August 17th 1998 Indianapolis, IN
    August 18th 2000 Indianapolis, IN
    June 22nd 2003 Indianapolis, IN
    June 11th 2008 West Palm Beach, FL
    June 12th 2008 Tampa, FL
    October 15th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 16th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 3rd 2014 St.Louis, MO
    April 8th 2016 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    April 9th 2016 Miami, FL
    April 11th 2016 Tampa, FL
    August 5th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 1)
    August 7th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 2)
    April 7th 2017 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    JimmyV said:
    I think a lot of people don't know the difference between an annual/holiday single and the first single from a new record.
    But can ya blame them? Is this a really a holiday single? It says it is on our downloads. But there's no B-Side. And it's not the holiday. Will there be a vinyl? Maybe they're just trying to catch up because they're behind on holiday singles. Hard to say but yeah, I don't consider this to be like something taken from an upcoming album. It's more like Olé; just something whipped up and given to the fanclub members because there's really not much else to do with it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Anam. said:
    Love it. The world needs rock'n'roll just now. 

Amen.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Chadplam said:

Can’t Deny Me Review

Well, angry Eddie is back, no-one should be too surprised given the political state of USA. This is a protest song with some clever lyrics and some interesting vocal melodies. There’s a lot going on in this song, cowbell, typewriter, hand claps, bells, cabasas and of course an intense group of guys beating away at their respective instruments. Matt Cameron brings his Soundgarden drum style to Pearl Jam, which is a long time coming. The song kicks off with his classic drum sound and what we can assume is Eddie writing new lyrics on a typewriter. This mix contains a lot so it might be hard to hear but you can hear not only the bell from the typewriter but the return lever for a new line and the clicks of each key as well, which is much more prominent in the almost danceable bridge. The guitars have a great crunch to them, that is recreating some great 70’s and 80’s tones but is lacking a bit in melody, there's the great rhythm riff flowing through the whole song but no distinguishable contrast with a second guitar. This one really brings out their punk roots throughout the verses but with quite a catchy chorus. Will this be what Mind Your Manners was to Lightning Bolt or is this just going to be a one-off single is the real question. Enjoy! 

Like the review, thanks.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2018
    I like how people are freaking out like its the 1st radio single off of the album.  Its a Christmas single. Its usually as IDGAF as they get and its a genuine tune this time with emotion