Options

Ticket prices

Comments

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    TR70596 said:
    For years Pearl Jam had a reputation for looking out for the fans and keeping ticket prices low, but those days are sadly gone.  

Bands like Radiohead and Phish still keep their top prices around $75 and they have the same drawing power and history as PJ. I'll still pay $123 to see them at Fenway, but let's not kid ourselves - these jacked up prices are pure greed from a band that likes to talk a big game about putting fans first.
    Whoa...easy there dude. Are they cashing in a bit more than they have in the past? Yeah, sure. Greed is a bad word. They're entitled to get paid for their work. It's still a fine value. Especially since they will likely play close to 3 hour shows.
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    riley540 said:
    $130 reallly isn’t that bad for a live performance from a very seasoned, very talented group of mucisians. There is incredible demand for Pearl Jam tickets. There had been since I started seeing them in 2013. People are willing to pay for a quality product. Pearl Jam is the best as it will get for a live show. $130 all day, no brainer. I’m happy to pay it 
    Yeah, probably not. However, I still opted to just go for one Seattle show versus two. To possibly have $259 x 2 = $518 taken out at once is just too much for my budget to handle right now. In 2013, the Seattle Ten Club tickets were just $156 for a pair which seems like such a bargain now ($130 per ticket in 2018 vs $78 in 2013).
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,923
    edited February 2018
    Be nice. Discuss, disagree and debate politely.  You can discuss ticket prices without attacking the band and each other. Please see the rules.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 110
    edited February 2018
    Yah, I have no problem with them charging more.  I charge more for my services than I did when I last attended a PJ show too.  Just was a bit surprised by how large the jump.  But I can afford it, and do not begrudge paying it to take my son to a great show in Missoula (hopefully!! Fingers Crossed!)
    Post edited by sunvalleylaw on
  • Options
    Maybe this has been said already somewhere in the last 6 pages and if so, I apologize. 

But forget the jump from 1994 to now... $188 for a Wrigley pair in 2016 to $245 in 2018? I realize the demand is huge and that the bottom line won't be bothered by this, but that's the difference between me being at one or both shows. I won't even enter the lottery for both now. In 2016, I entered and was hoping to win both. If I entered both for 2018, I'd be hoping to only win one show, and that's not right. $376 for 2 shows in 2016... $490 in 2018? 

As an aside, it also significantly increases the chances of me getting shut out, which sucks. 
  • Options
    EA17313EA17313 Posts: 62
    edited February 2018
    Do we live in Iran or Venezuela? What's up with the inflation in ticket prices? For real. 
    Post edited by EA17313 on
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Maybe this has been said already somewhere in the last 6 pages and if so, I apologize. 

But forget the jump from 1994 to now... $188 for a Wrigley pair in 2016 to $245 in 2018? I realize the demand is huge and that the bottom line won't be bothered by this, but that's the difference between me being at one or both shows. I won't even enter the lottery for both now. In 2016, I entered and was hoping to win both. If I entered both for 2018, I'd be hoping to only win one show, and that's not right. $376 for 2 shows in 2016... $490 in 2018? 

As an aside, it also significantly increases the chances of me getting shut out, which sucks. 
    I agree, the jump between even 2013 and 2018 was enough for me to just enter the lottery for one show. $312 for 2 shows in 2013 versus $518 for 2 shows in 2018 is a 66% increase! At most, inflation is about 2% per year.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Man, what a drag. I may just sit these shows out. I can afford it but that's not the point to me.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    FWIW 2 GA tickets to Foo Fighters at SafeCo in Seattle - $242 with taxes and fees
    The current ticket prices are the fair market value. yes they are expensive, yes, this is how much tickets to the stadium shows of the other bands cost as well. 
  • Options
    The unfortunate thing is the band used to cater to fans seeing multiple shows per tour, but if $120 per ticket is the new normal going forward how many people can afford to go to 6-8 shows if they do an extensive US tour? 
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    Some friends of mine were dumbstruck looking at prices for Elton John and Pink tickets recently. Based on what they told me, we're still doing pretty good. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    jlbusch said:
    FWIW 2 GA tickets to Foo Fighters at SafeCo in Seattle - $242 with taxes and fees
    The current ticket prices are the fair market value. yes they are expensive, yes, this is how much tickets to the stadium shows of the other bands cost as well. 
    Amazing.  Below is a cut and paste from my receipt for my tix where I took my son (who I am hoping to take to Missoula) only weeks ago.  Bob Mould was there too.  the difference in price is Cray Cray!!  Pretty darned good seats too!  Better seats than my seats in Missoula in 2012.  Similar sized stadium.  

Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold USA Tour 2017

DEC 07 2017 at 07:30pm

Ford Idaho Center Arena

Price Type                Price Level Qty    Price       Fee       Cost

------------------------- ----------- --- -------- --------- ----------

All                       P3                       2      49.00     12.00     122.00

Seating:

Level Section Row   Seat(s)   

----- ------- ----- ----------

U     _C29    F     14-13     

• Options
    Cut the ballpark shows out and I would gladly pay this price. 

Still GA or nada though.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Foo Fighters just two weeks later at the same venue is the same price after TM fees. Don't have a problem with either but i think the Pearl Jam tickets are a better value.
  • Options
    odiej34 said:
    Foo Fighters just two weeks later at the same venue is the same price after TM fees. Don't have a problem with either but i think the Pearl Jam tickets are a better value.
    Saw them in Idaho only weeks ago, with Bob Mould, for $55/ticket including fees.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Young people should go see young people bands for the cheap concerts.  Old people with money see Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    You all know this is to raise 10 million dollars for homeless people in Seattle?

$3 of each ticket ($10 for Seattle) is a charitable contribution to the Vitalogy Foundation, a United States-based public charity under I.R.C. section 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1)
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Young people should go see young people bands for the cheap concerts.  Old people with money see Pearl Jam.
    22 here. Really not hard to scrape together $250. Haha! 
  • Options
    As I said, I don't have a problem with higher prices, especially to help support a good cause.  But both PJ tix, and apparently Foo tix, have gone up amazingly in a short amount of time.  Not sure the Foo Fighters are helping out the homeless, but I don't know.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    As I said, I don't have a problem with higher prices, especially to help support a good cause.  But both PJ tix, and apparently Foo tix, have gone up amazingly in a short amount of time.  Not sure the Foo Fighters are helping out the homeless, but I don't know.
    Foo aren’t selling out their shows. There was lots of open seats up high in Spokane 
  • Options
    Kcblackwell01Kcblackwell01 Charlotte, NC Posts: 1
    How do these compare to the Europe prices?
    I paid $225 for London 1 reserved.
    "The in between is mine."
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    riley540 said:
    Foo aren’t selling out their shows. There was lots of open seats up high in Spokane 
    Yeah, that is why I am surprised their ticket prices are so much higher than what I paid in the Gorge, and in Nampa, Idaho, only in December  OF The two concerts, I would pick PJ first, of course.
  • Options
    Some of you guys are comparing apples to oranges, giving examples of ticket prices for smaller venues. Here is my Foo Fighters at Wrigley costs:

Foo Fighters
    Sunday, 7/29/18
    at 7:00PM CDT
    P1 Field Standing General Admission
    AislePriceFeeTotalType
    FLDGA5General Admission$99.00$18.00$117.00Capital One Presale
    Field GA Standing Room Only

Subtotal : $234.00 
    Handling : $7.50 
    Total : $241.50 
    --------

So GA on the field for Wrigley...Foo Fighters is $3.50 cheaper for the pair. So $1.75 cheaper pert ticket. I don't know what reserved seats were for FF. Obviously for PJ it's the same everywhere for fan club members.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited February 2018
    riley540 said:
    22 here. Really not hard to scrape together $250. Haha! 
    Wife and 2 young kids here. These prices make it a lot harder to explain the cost to my wife, we had a conversation about it already today. It also makes it harder for me to find a friend willing to shell out that kind of cash to go and travel to the show with me.

Pearl Jam can charge whatever they want for their tickets, I don't have a problem with that. But this is squeezing out some fans who just can't afford those tickets.

I'm okay if I don't go, (still pondering if I will) because I've been lucky enough to see PJ a bunch over the years. And during that time they have always had good ticket prices, usually below market value. One of the reasons they are one of my favourite bands. So if I don't go it's no big deal.

The music business has obviously changed, and if bands want to make up for the big money they don't make off selling records, this is what they do.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    Sarava said:
    Some of you guys are comparing apples to oranges, giving examples of ticket prices for smaller venues. Here is my Foo Fighters at Wrigley costs:

Foo Fighters
    Sunday, 7/29/18
    AislePriceFeeTotalType

--------

So GA on the field for Wrigley...Foo Fighters is $3.50 cheaper for the pair. So $1.75 cheaper pert ticket. I don't know what reserved seats were for FF. Obviously for PJ it's the same everywhere for fan club members.
    Huh.  Ok.  Never knew that.  I would rather see a group in a smaller venue.  Surprised stadium seats cost more.  But the Gorge seats for the Foos, arguably a "stadium" cut into the hill, were similarly cheap.  Anyhow, I am excited to go to Missoula and hope I get my first pick!  or at least my second.  Will be worth it either way.
  • Options
    Sarava said:

Foo Fighters
    Sunday, 7/29/18
    AislePriceFeeTotalType

--------

Huh.  Ok.  Never knew that.  I would rather see a group in a smaller venue.  Surprised stadium seats cost more.  But the Gorge seats for the Foos, arguably a "stadium" cut into the hill, were similarly cheap.  Anyhow, I am excited to go to Missoula and hope I get my first pick!  or at least my second.  Will be worth it either way.
    Yeah I'm surprised of the price difference as well. The smaller venues are generally more enjoyable shows.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    quasi said:

I agree, the jump between even 2013 and 2018 was enough for me to just enter the lottery for one show. $312 for 2 shows in 2013 versus $518 for 2 shows in 2018 is a 66% increase! At most, inflation is about 2% per year.
    Yep. I was planning on going to both Seattle shows too. Now I'm undecided which show to put in for.  Considering 2013 prices I  put over 30% in additional funds aside knowing these shows would cost more....I just didn't imagine the increase would be over $200.  :| 
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Trump's tax cuts are working, People are getting raises everywhere nowadays.  PJ gets a raise too.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    edited February 2018
    Sarava said:

Foo Fighters
    Sunday, 7/29/18
    AislePriceFeeTotalType

--------

My reserved seats for Foo Fighters at Wrigley were I think $195 for a pair. But if I remember right, there were different reserved price options and this was the cheaper option.
    Post edited by RP112579 on
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70
    The price hike sucks, but I’m all in to see my, and maybe your favorite band.  As previously stated, the music industry has changed, they’re not supporting a new album as far as we know, so no income is being generated from new album sales which could be one factor here, but they’ve also stated they’ve held more tickets for their fans (for us here - 10c), in hopes they can accommodate possibly all of the demand, so I’d assume there’s got to be some kind of cost to allocating more tickets for us???

Anyway, good luck to all of you with your lotto picks, I hope we all get to go to the show(s) we want to this year.  I’m stoked to see them again.

Cheers!!!
    -DB
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
This discussion has been closed.