Options

Ticket prices

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    Also have to say i don't do alot of other bands shows unless they are playing smaller venues but i only attend tops two to three shows a yr if that , so when this band does such shows like these i don't mind paying the price it's funny eveybody here has been crying for shows shows so now they are here and now the price doesn't fit your budget i get it and people have to stop comparing this band with others who tour way more & do more shows each yr like Phish it all comes down to supply & demand ...This band has spoiled us bands like U2 will do 60 plus shows and they charge more per ticket and guess what they sell out everywhere ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    lolobugg said:

I will tell you one damn thing.... these boards get way more exciting around tour time.

I do feel bad for the people that will be in nosebleeds. it isn't worth it.

if I were a 10club with a bad number, I would go GA in the lottery or try thru general onsale.

Agree completely.

The only way I’m going to go for tickets if I decide to will be GA.  My member # isn’t horrible, but the only way this tour is worth it to me for flight/tickets (and I don’t even have to pay for a hotel) is if I’m standing in the pit going ape shit crazy.  If I don’t score GA then I’ll be happy saving the cash.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Daughter5Daughter5 Mass Posts: 38
    I thought I had enough in my account, but I have to add this year. All being said Pearl Jam shows have always been worth every dime. Has anyone here ever walked out after a show saying "that sucked I want my money back" LOL. Every show I've been to has been another great memory. Thanks to Ten Club we are able to get the best seats for a lot less than other shows I've been at with bad seating. As far as how they treat their fans, tell me what other fan club gives you what we get for $40.00 a year? The tee shirt alone makes up for that cost, and how many other fans have a pile of 45 vinal records, not to mention they really do give to the charity's usually in our Ten Clubs name. I'm also a wishlist member, I give what I can. Thanks to Mike for the Crohns Foundation I've gotten more out of that then my doctors who get $300 per 15 min visit. People don't look at the big picture.

PLEASE SUPPORT THE CROHNS FOUNDATION WE CAN USE WHATEVER YOU CAN SPARE 
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    edited February 2018
    lolobugg said:

I will tell you one damn thing.... these boards get way more exciting around tour time.

if I were a 10club with a bad number, I would go GA in the lottery or try thru general onsale.

Agree completely.

The only way I’m going to go for tickets if I decide to will be GA.  My member # isn’t horrible, but the only way this tour is worth it to me for flight/tickets (and I don’t even have to pay for a hotel) is if I’m standing in the pit going ape shit crazy.  If I don’t score GA then I’ll be happy saving the cash.
    Same here but I do have a low number (2016 was 4th row behind the pit), so I'll take reserved too. But not trying with the ticketmaster sale. These are huge venues, I can't justify dropping that much money (meaning hotel/plane ticket, not the extra 30% higher ticket price) for one show to watch the video screen.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    lolobugg said:

Agree completely.

Same here but I do have a low number (2016 was 4th row behind the pit), so I'll take reserved too. But not trying with the ticketmaster sale. These are huge venues, I can't justify dropping that much money (meaning hotel/plane ticket, not the extra 30% higher ticket price) for one show to watch the video screen.

right on, guys. my number is good so I don't mind paying the prices. just don't see how people would pony up for that much $ to watch from the grandstands. Boston is the best bet for us old timers. I was in Wrigley in 2016. had good seats but the GA pit was so big that I ended up watching the monitors for the most part. One thing I can say is that the sound was excellent!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Daughter5Daughter5 Mass Posts: 38
    vest71 said:
    94 long time ago.... boy they were naiive back then....but you are so right concert tickets,even for small "unknown" bands, are through the roof, but fuck it we only live ones and fingers crossed for Boston tix. we are so going to the states this year .... see u all 
    I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed hope to see you in Boston 

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

Agree completely.

right on, guys. my number is good so I don't mind paying the prices. just don't see how people would pony up for that much $ to watch from the grandstands. Boston is the best bet for us old timers. I was in Wrigley in 2016. had good seats but the GA pit was so big that I ended up watching the monitors for the most part. One thing I can say is that the sound was excellent!
    Yeah I was shocked to hear how it good the sound was, actually.  I’d seen several shows at fenwaythat sounded like shit back in the day.  Well done, PJ crew.  If I still lived in Boston I’d be all over it but my kids will have already started school down here in Texas when those shows happen in Fenway this year 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    Not to compare apples and oranges but I live in Toronto. To see the Maple Leafs play it would cost $100 to stand and watch In the nosebleads. This is a team who hasn’t won a cup in 50 years. All I hear is complaining about ticket prices......bla bla bla. Nobody has a gun to your head...don’t buy them. Everything goes up. Face the facts, shows and albums are going to be far and few between. They are getting older. Do you really think these few shows are going to put that much more money in their pockets? If they really were doing it for the cash they’d have 30 shows this year for a whole north american tour. Not 5. Go, don’t go, nobody cares. Listening to this crap makes me want to quit being part of this forum. For the ones who think Pearl Jam is capitalizing on their fans believe what you want but your killing the whole vibe of going to see them. Maybe one day they will call it quits and aren’t you going to wish you spent that extra $30 to see them one last time? If I could I’d close this discussion. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    I think it will be interesting to see whether Safeco Field is full for the shows. I assume the goal is to have a packed house and to raise as much money as possible for the cause. These have the potential to be really memorable and meaningful shows, and I really hope the ticket price doesn't keep people away. It would be a shame if the Home Shows are played to a half-empty baseball stadium. Seattle has obviously become quite a wealthy city, so the stadium might very well fill up. But if it turns out that they made a mistake and priced the tickets too high, they'll learn from it for next time. Not the end of the world.

If only there were a way to raise awareness about the band and their great music that would coincide with the timing of the shows... ;)

• Options

My member # isn’t horrible, but .
    Same here but I do have a low number .
    So what is considered a low or decent number?  I didn't join until 2013, so I am number 508530.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 767
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

Agree completely.

I felt bad thinking I was not hard core enough, but I can't imagine spending money to sit in the upper deck of a baseball stadium to watch a concert. I have never been to Chicago, but will skip it if my GA lottery number does not come up.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    kaw753 said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

Agree completely.

I felt bad thinking I was not hard core enough, but I can't imagine spending money to sit in the upper deck of a baseball stadium to watch a concert. I have never been to Chicago, but will skip it if my GA lottery number does not come up.

I really can't blame you, bro. if you live there maybe do it, but if I was in a situation where I had to travel I would seriously think long and hard before putting in for reserved. My wife had grandstand tickets last time and the people around her were drunken idiots who talked thru all the songs but a few of the greatest hits. not trying to talk anyone out of it, just sharing my opinion. I realized that I am spoiled.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2018
    7 shows
    60,000 Average Attendance (conservative, IMO) 
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

The band/promoter take for a show is usually 50-70% (Lets assume dead middle since it's high capacity but they have to bring in a lot of gear).. with the band usually getting about 90% of that (sometimes higher for easy-sell shows). Let's assume 93% for the band here. 

Leaves about $30MM cash for the band to play 7 shows. Not too shabby. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    I was shocked at the prices. But after hotel and flight fees, the extra $25 a ticket I'm spending isn't going to change my mind about going compared to the cost of seeing them.  So now this will cost me $700 instead of $650, still going. Have to sell some vinyl to do it, but gonna do it.
    It is a disappointment that they only play how many cities in how many years? But really, if you could "retire" and still make millions and work 1-2 weeks a year, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

The band/promoter take for a show is usually 50-70% (Lets assume dead middle since it's high capacity but they have to bring in a lot of gear).. with the band usually getting about 90% of that (sometimes higher for easy-sell shows). Let's assume 93% for the band here. 

Also merch, and I assume they get a cut of concession. 
  • Options
    chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 291
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

None of these stadiums even hold 60,000 people so I would say you're a bit high on your "conservative" estimate

2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 767
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

I read that $3M per night for the band was the magic number to get GNR to re-unite. Average ticket price probably pretty similar.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

Don't underestimate the merch. Seriously.  The numbers have to be staggering just from the Wrigley and Fenway shows in 2016 alone. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

Yep Merch is a big factor as well. I know at Fenway everything was selling out... and it's not cheap. 
    Tack on $40/person in merch and you're looking at $17MM in merch. Production costs are a factor, but I'll say they're making 75-80 points based on my experience with some of these products. We'll call in 75 points with transport and staff. That about $12MM in Merch revenue as well. 

I don't know much about concessions, but seems pretty safe to say the band is walking with $7-8MM each assuming an even 6 way split... or about a Million bucks a show. Not too shabby. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    dignin said:
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

Yep Merch is a big factor as well. I know at Fenway everything was selling out... and it's not cheap. 
    Tack on $40/person in merch and you're looking at $17MM in merch. Production costs are a factor, but I'll say they're making 75-80 points based on my experience with some of these products. We'll call in 75 points with transport and staff. That about $12MM in Merch revenue as well. 

I don't know much about concessions, but seems pretty safe to say the band is walking with $7-8MM each assuming an even 6 way split... or about a Million bucks a show. Not too shabby. 
    Boom just got real lucky if he gets an even cut I would think.
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2018
    chadaw76 said:
    None of these stadiums even hold 60,000 people so I would say you're a bit high on your "conservative" estimate
    If you're looking at quoted capacity, you might be leaving off the field.... 

Wrigley's quoted capacity is about 40k. 
    Bruce Springsteen has packed 80k people in there, as have Dead & Company. 

So 60k for PJ is a pretty reasonable number, IMO. 

EDIT: Looks like those numbers are 2 night stints. My bad here! Cut ticket numbers by 30% to about $20MM slice for the band in gate revenue. Mah bad! :) 
    Post edited by mattsavard on

• Options

mace1229 said:
    Boom just got real lucky if he gets an even cut I would think.
    Yeah I'm guessing it may not be fully even 6 way split... but just ballparking numbers here. :)  Everyone is getting rich, for sure. 

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,375
    7 shows
    $125 Ticket price. 
    $52 Million in Revenue

Couple of things...

No way these shows average 60K. Fenway is about 36-37K for a concert.

The face value of a ticket is not $125.00...the price we pay includes fees. The actual face value of the ticket is less, won't know that probably till the regular on sale, but Seattle TM site says $92-$112.

So your projections (including the 93%) are very high.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 245
    Not to compare apples and oranges but I live in Toronto. To see the Maple Leafs play it would cost $100 to stand and watch In the nosebleads. This is a team who hasn’t won a cup in 50 years. All I hear is complaining about ticket prices......bla bla bla. Nobody has a gun to your head...don’t buy them. Everything goes up. Face the facts, shows and albums are going to be far and few between. They are getting older. Do you really think these few shows are going to put that much more money in their pockets? If they really were doing it for the cash they’d have 30 shows this year for a whole north american tour. Not 5. Go, don’t go, nobody cares. Listening to this crap makes me want to quit being part of this forum. For the ones who think Pearl Jam is capitalizing on their fans believe what you want but your killing the whole vibe of going to see them. Maybe one day they will call it quits and aren’t you going to wish you spent that extra $30 to see them one last time? If I could I’d close this discussion. 
    $156 for obstructed view for Leafs against Columbus on Valentine's Day, so I definitely have no problem with these prices for a band I love.  It's definitely in the back of my mind that at any point they could stop touring so any show I can get to I'm going. Just look at the situation with the Tragically Hip, I saw them 20 times but passed up countless shows because they always toured and there was always a next show. I was lucky enough to get tickets for the last tour and won't take the chance with PJ . The next tour is never promised .
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    For years Pearl Jam had a reputation for looking out for the fans and keeping ticket prices low, but those days are sadly gone.  

Bands like Radiohead and Phish still keep their top prices around $75 and they have the same drawing power and history as PJ. I'll still pay $123 to see them at Fenway, but let's not kid ourselves - these jacked up prices are pure greed from a band that likes to talk a big game about putting fans first.
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited February 2018
    I have had Patriot season tickets since 1992. 28 dollars then, 160 dollars now. Patriots sucked then and are great now. PJ in 92 played a short set and now a pretty long set. All relative. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    $130 reallly isn’t that bad for a live performance from a very seasoned, very talented group of mucisians. There is incredible demand for Pearl Jam tickets. There had been since I started seeing them in 2013. People are willing to pay for a quality product. Pearl Jam is the best as it will get for a live show. $130 all day, no brainer. I’m happy to pay it 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,046
    riley540 said:
    $130 reallly isn’t that bad for a live performance from a very seasoned, very talented group of mucisians. There is incredible demand for Pearl Jam tickets. There had been since I started seeing them in 2013. People are willing to pay for a quality product. Pearl Jam is the best as it will get for a live show. $130 all day, no brainer. I’m happy to pay it 
    Agreed still a big jump though. Should have seen this coming after Euro prices were released last year. 
  • Options
    TR70596 said:
    For years Pearl Jam had a reputation for looking out for the fans and keeping ticket prices low, but those days are sadly gone.  

Bands like Radiohead and Phish still keep their top prices around $75 and they have the same drawing power and history as PJ. I'll still pay $123 to see them at Fenway, but let's not kid ourselves - these jacked up prices are pure greed from a band that likes to talk a big game about putting fans first.
    Are Radiohead and Phish playing stadium shows?
  • Options
    Phish sold out 17 shows at MSG in 2017, sell out three stadium shows every year in Colorado at Dick's and played Fenway in 2009. 

Every Radiohead arena show in America sells out in two seconds and they could easily fill Fenway and Wrigley if they wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.