2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    No to pay per view performances. Is that what is next? Fuck that. I might actually give up music if the industry goes that way.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    on2legs said:
    chadaw76 said:
    Today Bruce said that he and the E Street Band would be recording a new record in the fall and touring next year when it’s finished. It’s just that easy to keep your fans in the know.
    True.  But he already wrote the record.  They just need to record it.  He runs that show and it’s his way or the highway.  I don’t think Pearl Jam makes a record the same way as Bruce and the E Street Band.  Getting 5 people on the same page might be more of a challenge. 
    You are saying they need someone in the band who is like a Boss? Didn't Springsteen release a new album last week?
    While Ed is clearly the head guy, the rest of the band still seems to have a big say in things.  I don’t think the band could ever function like the E Street Band.  Bruce calls the shots and everyone else has to follow along.  I don’t think it’s like that in Pearl Jam even if Ed is the top dog.  I think the other guys still have a big say in their plans.  Plus Bruce will be 70 this year and all his kids are grown.  He has less family matters tying him down. 
    Was Bruce not playing and making music 15 years ago when he had younger kids? Of course he was. Don't blame kids on inactivity of the band.
    100%.  
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,364
    Get_Right said:
    No to pay per view performances. Is that what is next? Fuck that. I might actually give up music if the industry goes that way.

Loses all of the charm. That one night is for everyone in attendance, no one else. Others can experience it with bootlegs after the fact.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    Get_Right said:

Curious as to why it would bother you if nothing changes on your end if you opt not to buy them. Ya if they change their live format up to cater to the PPV in some way I could see it bothering people but if nothing changes and people that want to watch a live show at home have that opportunity can why not? I would never pay for it personally. 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 737
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    on2legs said:
    chadaw76 said:
    Today Bruce said that he and the E Street Band would be recording a new record in the fall and touring next year when it’s finished. It’s just that easy to keep your fans in the know.
    True.  But he already wrote the record.  They just need to record it.  He runs that show and it’s his way or the highway.  I don’t think Pearl Jam makes a record the same way as Bruce and the E Street Band.  Getting 5 people on the same page might be more of a challenge. 
    You are saying they need someone in the band who is like a Boss? Didn't Springsteen release a new album last week?
    While Ed is clearly the head guy, the rest of the band still seems to have a big say in things.  I don’t think the band could ever function like the E Street Band.  Bruce calls the shots and everyone else has to follow along.  I don’t think it’s like that in Pearl Jam even if Ed is the top dog.  I think the other guys still have a big say in their plans.  Plus Bruce will be 70 this year and all his kids are grown.  He has less family matters tying him down. 
    Was Bruce not playing and making music 15 years ago when he had younger kids? Of course he was. Don't blame kids on inactivity of the band.
    I saw him in 2012 in Prague and he said, "Patti's not here because we have teenagers and they can't be left alone." It might have been a different tour just before that. My memory fades. The man plays a lot of shows in a lot of places. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Get_Right said:

Yeah there’s no way I’m paying to sit if front of a computer to watch a studio performance not even on a smart tv , give me a small venue with an up & coming young band and I’m good to go  if this band ever does an arena tour again I’ll look into tickets otherwise I’m done ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Get_Right said:

Yeah there’s no way I’m paying to sit if front of a computer to watch a studio performance not even on a smart tv , give me a small venue with an up & coming young band and I’m good to go  if this band ever does an arena tour again I’ll look into tickets otherwise I’m done ..
    They just did an arena tour last year though and two years before that. Yes they are trending towards ballpark shows but why are people acting like it has been ages since they did an arena show? If they tour in NA in 2020 there is going to be plenty of arena shows for all there is no doubt in my mind. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

They just did an arena tour last year though and two years before that. Yes they are trending towards ballpark shows but why are people acting like it has been ages since they did an arena show? If they tour in NA in 2020 there is going to be plenty of arena shows for all there is no doubt in my mind. 
    I think by arena tour, they mean a proper "full length" tour. Not "we have three weeks between Eddie surfing and Stone gardening - wanna do 5 shows somewhere close by?"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,823
    I don't think they are going back to that old way again. 

2-3 week bursts seem to be the thing now. 
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,873
    I don't think they are going back to that old way again. 

2-3 week bursts seem to be the thing now. 
    Every year when DMB or ZBB announce their summer tours (not a fan of either) it takes me back to when PJ would play long amphitheater tours and we would plan out a week of road-trippin' plus our hometown shows and maybe SEA or NY or CA.  Man, I miss those days.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

I think by arena tour, they mean a proper "full length" tour. Not "we have three weeks between Eddie surfing and Stone gardening - wanna do 5 shows somewhere close by?"
    How does that describe the 2018 Euro tour and the 2016 east coast tour?
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 331
    PJNB said:

If you're questioning this you must be one if the lucky few that live in or near New York, Chicago, Boston or Seattle
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

It will be 2020 before they tour the U.S. again most likely.  The last time they played a show in California was 2013.  Seven year gap since they played a show in the second largest U.S. city.   So they did an arena tour in 2014 and 2016 in the U.S., but they are very regionalized and not extensive.  Great for those who can travel long distances every year, but not anywhere close to a proper U.S. tour like most bands. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    edited May 2019
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

It will be 2020 before they tour the U.S. again most likely.  The last time they played a show in California was 2013.  Seven year gap since they played a show in the second largest U.S. city.   So they did an arena tour in 2014 and 2016 in the U.S., but they are very regionalized and not extensive.  Great for those who can travel long distances every year, but not anywhere close to a proper U.S. tour like most bands. 
    Crazy to think their last actual decent sized tour was in 2006. 

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

I am not saying that their tours are long or that that they tour often. I think the opposite in that respect. What I am saying is that it is crazy to think that there is a chance that they will not do an arena tour again. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    my_wave said:
    PJNB said:

If you're questioning this you must be one if the lucky few that live in or near New York, Chicago, Boston or Seattle

I'd keep NY off that list because we are most likely in the midst of a four year drought (let's say 5/16 - 4/20).

And when they do play here tickets are impossible, unlike any other city they play. Besides 20% of the US population a few hour drive away, the enormous industry connections to the venues here chomping up tickets and also one of the top tourist attractions drawing in out of towners,  they can do 10 shows here with a 2 show max and tix would still be challenging to get.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    edited May 2019
    Get_Right said:

I give you alot of credit, It's getting tougher for me to like younger bands. Everyone seems to want to sing modern or blink 182 style these days. No disrespect, but the millenials seem to not like vintage guitar or prog rock.

I thought the idea was for concerts to be streamed live.  Having a professionally filmed show streamed to a large screen HDTV with surround speakers live sounds killer to me.

As long as its PJ performing live and not the killers 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    Chicago and Boston are the only constants from this band in the last 5 years. NY is getting a drought and so did Seattle before that. I am itching for a new tour and this year not having one is depressing to say the least. Hoping for in the very least 2020 is a 2013 year. 
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    my_wave said:
    PJNB said:

I was guilty of this , "why is everyone so bummed out on their touring?" while I live 30 mins north of Boston. So I feel for all those whom don't live in those areas
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    Yah... I'm kind of biased because Seattle is close and far to me.  It's technically 80 miles as the crow flies but the ocean makes it take a while.  Between driving and ferries it's a 5-6 hour trip (vancouver is 3.5 to 4).   We do get shows around here fairly frequently between the Vancouver and Seattle areas.   I did travel to Wrigley in '16 but that was a rare thing.

I don't know.  If the band is weary of being on the road for too long, maybe stadium tours make sense.  Maybe the add a few more big markets in here.   Stadium shows in New York, Los Angeles, and a handful of other major population centres (in addition to the regular places).

I kind of expect to travel a bit to see PJ.   Luckily it's only 5-6 hours (or 3.5 to 4 for Vancouver).  Lots of people have it worse... but still as long as the band plays somewhere sort of in the vicinity.  I'd figure it out.    I assumed we were all used to the travelling by now.  It's better than no shows too see.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    on2legs said:
    chadaw76 said:
    Whether you think it’s a legitimate reason is another discussion.  But the reality is that when people have kids they have less free time to devote to other things.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,613
    edited May 2019
    For North America, I think a 2013 size tour is the largest tour we will ever see again.  Definitely expecting any future arena tours to be 2014 or 2016 sized, and 2013 sized would be a great surprise.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,062
    For North America, I think a 2013 size tour is the largest tour we will ever see again.  Definitely expecting any future arena tours to be 2014 or 2016 sized, and 2013 sized would be a great surprise.  
    One or two shows anywhere on the planet would be a great surprise at this point!
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    on2legs said:
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    on2legs said:
    chadaw76 said:
    Whether you think it’s a legitimate reason is another discussion.  But the reality is that when people have kids they have less free time to devote to other things.  
    "Other things" is their job, in this case
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

Garden of stone...

So that’s what that song is about! 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,311
    I would not pay for a one-time pay-per-view event. If this was a live show, and I got a copy of it to keep and rewatch? Maybe.

For example, they play MSG, and tix sre sold out, but you could pay to stream (on a tv) the show for 20 bucks....then got a copy of it later to rewatch....I could see myself doing that. Or even a cool studio session. As long as I got to keep the performance. I'm not paying a once-only fee.

Either way,  I doubt they go this route. Bring back the arenas, bring back the road trips.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    on2legs said:
    chadaw76 said:
    "Other things" is their job, in this case
    Yes. Exactly. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• kaw753 said:
    on2legs said:
    chadaw76 said:
    Yes, Springsteen finally released the album that's (reportedly) been done for three years.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    Get_Right said:
    It's not that bad of an idea. Maybe not "pay-per-view," and not an entire tour either, but to stream a single show here on the website for a very reasonable price would be cool. Not everyone can get to shows. We've all watched concerts on YouTube or DVD. And while I haven't, I'm sure many have watched shows or festivals streamed live on YouTube. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:

Curious as to why it would bother you if nothing changes on your end if you opt not to buy them. Ya if they change their live format up to cater to the PPV in some way I could see it bothering people but if nothing changes and people that want to watch a live show at home have that opportunity can why not? I would never pay for it personally. 
    If nothing changes on my end that will mean I get an opportunity to see live PJ shows every 1-2 years. If that is the case then I really do not give a hoot if they decide to sell live streams.  I would hate to see Live Nation start a trend where bands do very limited "special" live shows where tickets are $1000 and streaming is the revenue driver. Id be with Jose at the dive bar listening to musicians playing live. I need to be there.