Options

So if you don't own a smart phone.......

Comments

• Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Here's the response I received.  

No problem. If you end up getting tickets through the pre-sale just shoot us an email explaining you don't have a smart phone and we'll get you sorted.
    Nice, I emailed as well but haven't heard anything yet.  I wonder what that means exactly but sounds like there will be ways to get by.  
    I predict it will be a huge headache for them and all of sudden thousands of people will not have a cell phone...
    Just get a smart phone you cheap ass!  ;)
    Hey I have to fund all these expensive Pearl Jam trips somehow. :blush:
    don't drink any beer during the european tour part and you'll have plenty of money for a smart phone!
    There is no way that Jeff gets away with no beers in Europe..  B)
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    deftones said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Here's the response I received.  

No problem. If you end up getting tickets through the pre-sale just shoot us an email explaining you don't have a smart phone and we'll get you sorted.
    Nice, I emailed as well but haven't heard anything yet.  I wonder what that means exactly but sounds like there will be ways to get by.  
    I predict it will be a huge headache for them and all of sudden thousands of people will not have a cell phone...
    Just get a smart phone you cheap ass!  ;)
    Hey I have to fund all these expensive Pearl Jam trips somehow. :blush:
    don't drink any beer during the european tour part and you'll have plenty of money for a smart phone!
    There is no way that Jeff gets away with no beers in Europe..  B)
    Lol! 
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    edited January 2018
    I have a phone, but at large events such as these, my service connection is crap.... like it is virtually useless other than a clock at times.

hopefully this will be available a day in advance so it can be screen captured or something, but even then I question this decision.

think about it, once in side and an usher asks to see your “ticket” to allow you to the floor.  Someone could easily digitally manipulate their ticket to be on the floor.  

I dont see this going well, even though I appreciate the attempt.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    go pre said:
    Yeah, I'm still hanging on to my flip phone. I hope it all works out if I get tickets.
    I have a flip phone too-have had it for about 14 years now and don't plan to give it up! Ten Club said that would sort anyone who doesn't have a smart phone.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    its surprising how many people dont seem to have one. Its like not owning a pair of shoes these days
  • Options
    canuck79canuck79 Posts: 120
    I know that Wrigley has wifi for those wondering.  I was at Fenway last year but don't remember the stadium having wifi.  
    "Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
    ----
    1998 - Montreal 8/20
    2003 - Montreal 6/29
    2006 - Boston 5/24, Boston 5/25
    2008 - Mansfield, MA 6/28
    2009 - Toronto 8/21
    2010 - Buffalo 5/10, Berlin, DE 6/30
    2011 - East Troy, WI 9/3, East Troy, WI 9/4, Toronto 9/11, Toronto 9/12, Hamilton, ON 9/15
    2013 - London, ON 7/16
    2016 - Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto 5/12, Boston 8/7
    2018 - London, UK 6/18, Milan, IT 6/22, Chicago 8/18, Chicago 8/20
    2022 - Hamilton, ON 09/06, Toronto 09/08, Nashville 09/16
    2023 - Chicago 09/07, Austin, TX 09/18, Austin, TX 09/19
    EV Solo
    2008 - Toronto 8/13
    2011 - Detroit 6/26
    TOTD
    2016 - NYC 11/7
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    How else would you watch your.....cat videos?

(You thought I was gonna say a 4 letter word that starts with P?  This is an all ages forum!)  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    pdalowsky said:
    its surprising how many people dont seem to have one. Its like not owning a pair of shoes these days
    I've actually seen some old dead heads in the PJ pit without shoes.  Be careful what your comparisons are!!!! =)
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    pdalowsky said:
    I've actually seen some old dead heads in the PJ pit without shoes.  Be careful what your comparisons are!!!! =)
    But do they have smart phones?  If not, his comparison holds true!  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    go pre said:
    Yeah, I'm still hanging on to my flip phone. I hope it all works out if I get tickets.
    I have a flip phone too-have had it for about 14 years now and don't plan to give it up! Ten Club said that would sort anyone who doesn't have a smart phone.
    But, HOW will the 10 C sort this out?

Have a hard ticket at Will Call?
    Send you a E-Ticket to your e-mail?
    Something else?
  • Options
    Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    I don't have a plane, but I still have to fly to Chicago if I want to go.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I am truly amazed at the number of people who don't have smartphones.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Eroom21 said:
    I don't have a plane, but I still have to fly to Chicago if I want to go.
    You don't have a plane?

Luddite :dizzy:
  • Options
    cutz said:
    go pre said:
    But, HOW will the 10 C sort this out?

Have a hard ticket at Will Call?
    Send you a E-Ticket to your e-mail?
    Something else?
    I was wondering that myself. I guess those who are going who don't have smart phones will find out. 
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Agreed. Do these same people still use dial up modem?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

• Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,961
    This new policy is also for the european tour??
  • Options
    just_one said:
    This new policy is also for the european tour??
    no. just the new USA tour
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2018
    hold the phone! and let's spin this around to talk about what is truly shocking IMO  :)
    what is with society's want/need for the latest Iphone 10. i read somewhere that it cost large dollars...why do people need that? people were lined up outside the best buy the night before they went on sale...all night in line to get one. why?
    a friend of the family had to have a blu ray player as soon as they hit the market. know what he paid? over $600 for one and there weren't even a ton of movies out then. me, i waited and got my for $99 a 4 years later
    i sat in our lunch room a month ago for lunch and was shocked at the amount of younger people sitting at the one large table paying attention to no one else but had their heads bent down hanging out on social media...what is wrong with people? the young kids don't even know how to carry on a real conversation...
    my niece who is less than 10 years old is on social media. why? is that necessary? know what her dad found on her phone one day? a dick picture...and now it's major damage control
    i was at a party recently with some old HS pals who all have smart phones and one of them left his phone at another friend's house and was without a phone for the night. he stressed about it way more than he should have. it was ridiculus...
    i read very recently even the new chief dude at facebook says social media is bad for young kids yet both my neice and nephew have smart phones and are on facebook and do facetime. bullying happens mostly on social media is my guess.
    facebook is a complete waste on time. so its twitter and instagram and etc. i don't care about the latest great cat video...those are not going to make my life any richer.
    i don't have a smart phone and i will be honest the only time recently that i thought i should get one was for uber.
    anyways i am glad to be old school and could care less what people might think of my phone LOL
    rant not AT you...just a general rant about society  :)
  • Options
    have you guys noticed that the soundgarden mark of the beast logo from king animal looks a lot like the twitter hashtag?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    hold the phone! and let's spin this around to talk about what is truly shocking IMO  :)
    what is with society's want/need for the latest Iphone 10. i read somewhere that it cost large dollars...why do people need that? people were lined up outside the best buy the night before they went on sale...all night in line to get one. why?
    a friend of the family had to have a blu ray player as soon as they hit the market. know what he paid? over $600 for one and there weren't even a ton of movies out then. me, i waited and got my for $99 a 4 years later
    i sat in our lunch room a month ago for lunch and was shocked at the amount of younger people sitting at the one large table paying attention to no one else but had their heads bent down hanging out on social media...what is wrong with people? the young kids don't even know how to carry on a real conversation...
    my niece who is less than 10 years old is on social media. why? is that necessary? know what her dad found on her phone one day? a dick picture...and now it's major damage control
    i was at a party recently with some old HS pals who all have smart phones and one of them left his phone at another friend's house and was without a phone for the night. he stressed about it way more than he should have. it was ridiculus...
    i read very recently even the new chief dude at facebook says social media is bad for young kids yet both my neice and nephew have smart phones and are on facebook and do facetime. bullying happens mostly on social media is my guess.
    facebook is a complete waste on time. so its twitter and instagram and etc. i don't care about the latest great cat video...those are not going to make my life any richer.
    i don't have a smart phone and i will be honest the only time recently that i thought i should get one was for uber.
    anyways i am glad to be old school and could care less what people might think of my phone LOL
    You make some excellent points. All of it is sad but true. 

I would be lost with out my smart phone now, and i truely realise how dumb that is. But that seems to be the way life is moving, and I dont ever see it going back. Every train station these days has a plaform of people staring at little screens. 
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Message received. Everyone will stay off your lawn. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited January 2018
    I have a smart phone only because I got it for free. But I don't wanna carry my stupid phone all night! And I like to keep my ticket stubs too.
    Post edited by kaseylily on
  • Options
    I was hoping they would go to phone-free shows using yondr pouches like Jack White will be doing for his shows.  The whole crowd buried in their smart phones is not my idea of a live concert experience.
    I agree! Since you locked down more tickets with 10C. That should be the end of it. As long as you have to pick them up the day of the show that still eliminates a lot of scalping cause you have to be there with ID. I appreciate them trying to eliminate secondary markets and all but at the end of the day its 2018 and internet/technology will never eliminate scalpers. If all 10C members that enter the lottery and win like they are hoping then we don't need this mobile ticketing...and eliminate the cell phones too. So what if there is a few rouge members on her that sell for profit. My guess it is less than 5%. IDK! 
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

• Options
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
     ^^ haha! Love it
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    i don't have a smart phone and i will be honest the only time recently that i thought i should get one was for uber.
    lastexit78 said:

What's the reasoning for the no hard ticket stance? Environmental? You force say even a handful of fans to buy phones and right there you have harmed the environment way more 50,000 pieces of paper being printed. The amount of fossil fuels and other damaging environmental ingredients like the precious metals that go into making a phone surpass anything that printing out some tickets would. Not to mention we don't even know what the effects of the radiation are and probably won't for a generation.

Hey I own one, and sorry for the rant but it's just obnoxious that the expectation is we all need one. There are a lot of times I wish I didn't have one and I'm honestly envious of those who live happily without them.

A good post right there.  I won't get into my own personal rant about them, but  it is along the lines you mentioned, plus the cost of the actual phone that is designed to crap out or go obsolete within a couple years and end up in a landfill is absurd.  

Some great points here. I had a flip phone until 2013 when my oldest son started college. I knew he would need one being in that environment, as the bus system there, as well as many other campus services used smartphone apps to access them. The upgrade for my family for 4 lines only raised our bill by about $10 a month on our plan, and the phones were free (Galaxy S3's), so we all got them. We've all only upgraded our phones once since then (me and my sons have S5's and my wife an S6.) Yeah, we're a few models behind, but they work just fine for our needs, and I've gotten them all for $200 or less on Amazon. I REFUSE to pay several hundred dollars for or lease a brand new one. Outside of phone calls and texts, I use mine primarily for e-mail, Facebook, online banking, and my home security system.

I do find it funny though, how on one hand, everyone's going to smartphone-based ticketing, while on the other, banning phones at concerts or utilizing something like those Yondr pouches.

Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2018
    I have a smartphone because it is unbelievably useful. I don't use it when I'm with people, I don't just stare at it everywhere I go and I don't hold it up in the air at concerts. But I do use it to settle bets, lol, for directions and as a navigator, as a camera and video camera that actually works pretty damn well, to immediately get addresses, phone numbers, important documents, store hours, where I can go for something I specifically decide I want, I can get up to the minute reporting when something major happens, it is invaluable in an emergency, I can use an app to get a cab, I can use other apps to avoid line ups, I have live updates if the transit system goes down, and it definitely gives me something to occupy myself with when I'm just sitting there, alone, waiting for shit. I have whole libraries of books in my pocket, I have access to pretty much every movie or show ever made in my pocket... that is very handy if I'm sitting in a doctor's office forever, or in an eternal queue at the passport office, or whatever. I don't have to be at home when tickets go on sale, and I when I'm having any trouble with any account or encounter issues in person somewhere, be it with ticketmaster, or with my bank, or whatever, I have an immediate resource with which to get it sorted out. And now I have a hassle-free experience with 10C tickets too, lol. I LOVE smartphones for all these reason. Yes, I agree, some people are way too addicted to them. But for many others, these things are simply magic. It's not good to psychologically throw the baby out with the bathwater! Just because some people use them in a way that seems negative, it doesn't mean it's a negative technology.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    Look. There are ways around everything but they are trying to tone down scalpers and 10c members themselves that have games the system. There still will be ways but this makes it harder. As for the credit card scanning and than getting tickets. Scalpers have that figured out too. We bought GA for U2 in Phoenix in 2014 from the secondary market and they sent my friend a credit card in the mail.