Opening band for the Seattle shows?

Comments

• Jbarker said:

What's Sleater Kinney doing this summer?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560
    Okay... maybe not as an opener but definitely join them for Rockin' in the Free World!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited January 2018
    Sparta might be my favorite opening band ever for PJ and it was all new to me.  I was a fan of At the Drive In but hadnt checked out their new bands.  Unbelievable. 

• Jbarker said:
    Okay... maybe not as an opener but definitely join them for Rockin' in the Free World!
    Buzzfeed: Top ten ways to fuck up a masterpiece bootleg.

1. Have Sleater Kinney join in on RITFW
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    adusick said:
    Count me in the Mudhoney camp. They’re great live, would love to see them again.
    That's what I'm talking about!
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I personally like Mudhoney, but I guess that's the Seattle in me. If there is an opener, it would make perfect sense that it's Mudhoney especially since they're releasing a new album this year. I suppose it's likely that there will be an opener at the show since it says "Headlining" and wasn't billed as "An Evening With....", but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in August. Either way it will be an epic couple of shows that we've been craving here in Seattle for too long!
    I hope it's Mudhoney as well.
     =) 

Well, there's one in every crowd. Or maybe two. But not more than two.
    Hmm....keep reading. We're up to three. 
    Wow, the hate here for opening bands is very strange.
    Those with the hate are all basically saying, please don't introduce me to new music, thanks. 
    Mudhoney is new music?
    New album coming out this year, so there will be some new material....just not new music as far as new artists. 
  • Mike's favorite band right now Thunderpussy is blowing up. Would be a great opening.
    BC69
    Mike's favorite band right now Thunderpussy is blowing up. Would be a great opening.
    Yeah, they always put on a great show. Saw them last year at Upstream in Seattle.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,894
    Jbarker said:

Lol, no doubt.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Jbarker said:

Or Fortunate Son.  But yeah, amen to that!
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560
    Jbarker said:

Or Fortunate Son.  But yeah, amen to that!

HAHA - I forgot about Fortunate Son... Ugh!
  • I always hope for an opening band. I don't think it effects the show length whatsoever. Their greatest shows involved openers. Mansfield 03 experiment was amazing. PJ20 was amazing. Mudhoney is gonna make Pearl jam sound better. If they come on at 830 regardless, then why would you want dead air instead of a band up there rocking out? 
    looking to hear of the earth
    I always hope for an opening band. I don't think it effects the show length whatsoever. Their greatest shows involved openers. Mansfield 03 experiment was amazing. PJ20 was amazing. Mudhoney is gonna make Pearl jam sound better. If they come on at 830 regardless, then why would you want dead air instead of a band up there rocking out? 
    In my experience, they come out later and end later when there is an opener, so I think it does effect the length of the show. Also, I've not found that mudhoney has helped the mood of the crowd in any way whatsoever. But that's just my opinion/observation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I always hope for an opening band. I don't think it effects the show length whatsoever. Their greatest shows involved openers. Mansfield 03 experiment was amazing. PJ20 was amazing. Mudhoney is gonna make Pearl jam sound better. If they come on at 830 regardless, then why would you want dead air instead of a band up there rocking out? 
    In my experience, they come out later and end later when there is an opener, so I think it does effect the length of the show. Also, I've not found that mudhoney has helped the mood of the crowd in any way whatsoever. But that's just my opinion/observation.
    Well, i'm always gonna vote for more bands at their shows. I don't really think that it changes their 2.5 to 3 hour set. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, i'm always gonna vote for more bands at their shows. I don't really think that it changes their 2.5 to 3 hour set. 
    Oh no, it definitely doesn't shorten PJ's set. That's not what I mean. It makes the overall show way longer though, and that's just too long for people in the pit and for all the casual fans. The majority of people simply don't want to be at a concert for 4.5 hours.
  • Ah gotcha
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I personally like Mudhoney, but I guess that's the Seattle in me. If there is an opener, it would make perfect sense that it's Mudhoney especially since they're releasing a new album this year. I suppose it's likely that there will be an opener at the show since it says "Headlining" and wasn't billed as "An Evening With....", but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in August. Either way it will be an epic couple of shows that we've been craving here in Seattle for too long!
     =) 

Okay, one of you doesn't count ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
     =) 

Okay, one of you doesn't count ;)
    LOL  :o
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh no, it definitely doesn't shorten PJ's set. That's not what I mean. It makes the overall show way longer though, and that's just too long for people in the pit and for all the casual fans. The majority of people simply don't want to be at a concert for 4.5 hours.
    Doesn't sound very rock n roll to be cranky about that.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,014
    I said it once, and I'll say it until it happens, even though I doubt it will in any immediate future: 

AWOLNATION. 

to many people above the age of 25 have no idea about this band! They are just coming out with a new album, Aaron Bruno's (singer and songwriter for the band) third full length album since starting this project back in 2009.

okay, so I get it. By now, you are probably asking yourself "how the hell is this person even considering the band that gave us the hit song "Sail' as an opener for PJ." Take a walk with me on the "let this person expand my musical knowledge" trail: 

AWOLNATION bring it live. There truly is no way to describe an AWOL show without actually going to one. (Check out their dates as they are about to embark on a world tour!!) They are subtly heavy as fuck, and Aaron vocals are fantastic live. I'll leave you a few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_dKblpPEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zp_JIb4CD8 (Yes that is Christopher Thorn from Blind Melon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aKjPo2xdes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idRk5YslXCc

The band has a history of opening for bigger bands like The Rolling Stones, Fall Out Boy (yeah, yeah, yeah), Prophets of Rage, as well as others. Along with opening for bigger bands, AWOL have been all over the world since 2010 performing in bar rooms to the biggest stages in Europe. No venue is too small/big for Aaron and the guys. 

Partnered with their new album 'Here Come The Runts', Aaron has leant the AWOLNATION name to some nice charity and philanthropy organizations including Music Saves Lives to help those individuals with blood cancer, local animal organizations and shelters helping those animals who may have been affected by the recent hurricanes and wildfires, and LoveYourMelon who's mission is to put a hat on every child battling cancer in America! Sounds like another band we know and love...... 

My selling point though is that the current guitar player in the band is Zack Irons, Jack Irons offspring. He is pretty bad ass and can wail on the guitar! Check him out playing with Duff the king of beers McKagan: 

https://youtu.be/xX_MDixuGjI?t=23m47s

Would love to see him up on stage lending his guitar talents to something his Dad helped create  ;)

I found out about this band while at a festival waiting on Metallica... You never know what you're going to hear (and LOVE)  =)
  • I said it once, and I'll say it until it happens, even though I doubt it will in any immediate future: 

AWOLNATION. 

to many people above the age of 25 have no idea about this band! They are just coming out with a new album, Aaron Bruno's (singer and songwriter for the band) third full length album since starting this project back in 2009.

okay, so I get it. By now, you are probably asking yourself "how the hell is this person even considering the band that gave us the hit song "Sail' as an opener for PJ." Take a walk with me on the "let this person expand my musical knowledge" trail: 

AWOLNATION bring it live. There truly is no way to describe an AWOL show without actually going to one. (Check out their dates as they are about to embark on a world tour!!) They are subtly heavy as fuck, and Aaron vocals are fantastic live. I'll leave you a few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zp_JIb4CD8 (Yes that is Christopher Thorn from Blind Melon)

The band has a history of opening for bigger bands like The Rolling Stones, Fall Out Boy (yeah, yeah, yeah), Prophets of Rage, as well as others. Along with opening for bigger bands, AWOL have been all over the world since 2010 performing in bar rooms to the biggest stages in Europe. No venue is too small/big for Aaron and the guys. 

Partnered with their new album 'Here Come The Runts', Aaron has leant the AWOLNATION name to some nice charity and philanthropy organizations including Music Saves Lives to help those individuals with blood cancer, local animal organizations and shelters helping those animals who may have been affected by the recent hurricanes and wildfires, and LoveYourMelon who's mission is to put a hat on every child battling cancer in America! Sounds like another band we know and love...... 

My selling point though is that the current guitar player in the band is Zack Irons, Jack Irons offspring. He is pretty bad ass and can wail on the guitar! Check him out playing with Duff the king of beers McKagan: 

Would love to see him up on stage lending his guitar talents to something his Dad helped create  ;)

I found out about this band while at a festival waiting on Metallica... You never know what you're going to hear (and LOVE)  =)

These guys supported Prophets (as you stated). I saw them. They were (again... as you said) 'sneaky heavy'. I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453
    I said it once, and I'll say it until it happens, even though I doubt it will in any immediate future: 

AWOLNATION. 

Seeing them late February. I think that is a solid opening choice 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • feederfeeder Boise, ID Posts: 81
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Cage the Elephant open.
    "Have we got a show for you??  No, it's a question!" EV 5/12/22
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    edited January 2018
    Right now, I’m not planning on the Seattle shows...but if they added QOTSA (huge long shot) as an opener, I’d book a flight immediately. If not, I’d rather they just continue the trend of no openers for all these shows. 
    Post edited by Agg on
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited January 2018
    Cant see QOTSA happening.  Royal Blood or Mudhoney im sure. 

Probably no opening band at all
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,532
    I'd rather see Royal Blood, as I've seen Mudhoney open several Seattle and Vancouver area PJ Shows already.   Always like to see something new :)
  • 1&1/2 hr My Morning Jacket and then PJ. Whoa 
  • 1&1/2 hr My Morning Jacket and then PJ. Whoa 
    That was my first show (Verona) :O   

The problem with having MMJ open though was that I was numb from them being so amazing that it was hard for even PJ to make me snap out of it. 

MMJ are pure magic live.
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    1&1/2 hr My Morning Jacket and then PJ. Whoa 
    That was my first show (Verona) :O   

The problem with having MMJ open though was that I was numb from them being so amazing that it was hard for even PJ to make me snap out of it. 

MMJ are pure magic live.
    Agree 100%
    While that would be a GREAT show...
    MMJ shouldn't open for anyone now!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170