Opening band for the Seattle shows?

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,532
    When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.
    Mudhoney opened the last handful of shows on the 2013 tour.   PJ still played over 3 hours in Vancouver/Seattle.   They ended up blowing well past curfew.

Which then begs the question, how strict is the noise curfew at Safeco?   It's not exactly in a residential area.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Ted Leo is the only opening band I've seen for PJ that was worth listening to.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Zod said:
    When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.
    Mudhoney opened the last handful of shows on the 2013 tour.   PJ still played over 3 hours in Vancouver/Seattle.   They ended up blowing well past curfew.

Which then begs the question, how strict is the noise curfew at Safeco?   It's not exactly in a residential area.
    Not sure about Seattle but they blew past curfew at Fenway on night 2 and it's absolutely in a residential area.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • feederfeeder Boise, ID Posts: 81
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    When is the last time they had an opening band worth showing up early to see?
    In North America I believe it was Mudhoney in 2011. Not my favorite. Band of Horses the year before was pretty good. Since then it has been Evening With ever since 2013.
    They had openers for the west coast in 2013. Mudhoney again, lol. They also had Mudhoney open for them in Missoula 2012. And IMO, they were not worth seeing either time. Not even close - Mudhoney can't do arenas effectively. They need to stick to clubs. But I was in the pit, so really had no choice if I didn't want to be at the back of the floor.
    They had Mudhoney open on the West Coast in 2013? I had no idea.

I saw them open for PJ in Montreal in 2011. The people next to me put in ear plugs as soon as they came on. At first I thought it was kind of weird but pretty soon I was wishing I had a pair myself. Not because Mudhoney is bad. It's not really my thing but it isn't bad. It was because they were so LOUD. Almost deafeningly loud. Hard to enjoy music when it's close to painful to listen to.
    Please, please NO Mudhoney!  I'd rather see a 50 yr old Sir Mix-a-Lot mustering through Baby Got Back!
    "Have we got a show for you??  No, it's a question!" EV 5/12/22
  • I've seen Band of Horses, RHCP, and Ben Harper. Wouldn't mind seeing someone nice to a short 45 minute set, IF, and only if, it doesn't shorten the PJ set of course.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    edited January 2018
    Ted Leo not being to cross into Canada in 2009 led to the best opener I've ever seen at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto. Pearl Jam members performing solo before the Pearl Jam the band played a full show. Ed solo, Stone solo, Mike solo, Ed and Jeff, Ed and Mike with the Pharmacists...it was awesome.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,894
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In North America I believe it was Mudhoney in 2011. Not my favorite. Band of Horses the year before was pretty good. Since then it has been Evening With ever since 2013.
    They had openers for the west coast in 2013. Mudhoney again, lol. They also had Mudhoney open for them in Missoula 2012. And IMO, they were not worth seeing either time. Not even close - Mudhoney can't do arenas effectively. They need to stick to clubs. But I was in the pit, so really had no choice if I didn't want to be at the back of the floor.

I saw them open for PJ in Montreal in 2011. The people next to me put in ear plugs as soon as they came on. At first I thought it was kind of weird but pretty soon I was wishing I had a pair myself. Not because Mudhoney is bad. It's not really my thing but it isn't bad. It was because they were so LOUD. Almost deafeningly loud. Hard to enjoy music when it's close to painful to listen to.
    Oh my god, in Missoula they were so loud some people started panicking and talked about walking out. They were so loud that the sound waves were going through our bodies and making people literally feel sick. I was one of those people. I had never in my life had loudness cause nausea - I didn't even know it was possible. But it is! It was fucking ridiculous and it kind of pissed me off TBH. I mean seriously, how do they think that is a good thing? It's dangerous FFS, as well as incredibly unpleasant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    JimmyV said:
    Ted Leo not being to cross into Canada in 2009 led to the best opener I've ever seen at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto. Pearl Jam members performing solo before the Pearl Jam the band played a full show. Ed solo, Stone solo, Mike solo, Ed and Jeff, Ed and Mike with the Pharmacists...it was awesome.
    That sounds awesome. Sucks you missed out on Ted, but almost certainly none of that happens if he makes it there. I've been lucky enough to catch two shows where Ed performed some solo songs before the opener. Good stuff!!
  • When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.

They had Off and BRMC open for them in the UK in 2014.  Off I could have done without, but BRMC were great and we still got an epic length show from PJ.  Was a cool day.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh my god, in Missoula they were so loud some people started panicking and talked about walking out. They were so loud that the sound waves were going through our bodies and making people literally feel sick. I was one of those people. I had never in my life had loudness cause nausea - I didn't even know it was possible. But it is! It was fucking ridiculous and it kind of pissed me off TBH. I mean seriously, how do they think that is a good thing? It's dangerous FFS, as well as incredibly unpleasant.
    good thing you didn't go to the 2000 shows with Sonic Youth opening. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• tschavtschav Posts: 2,839
    I'd be interested if they took some of their side projects as Seattle "openers" - get 2-3 songs in and have the guest appearances done early before rolling into a proper PJ set.
  • Ever since I discovered My Morning Jacket through an opening set, I support openers at shows.  However I do feel that they got pretty lazy with finding good openers in the years since.

personally I’d love to see The National open for them, though I don’t think these stadiums shows are the venue for it 
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .

I would love if "Sunny Day Real Estate" opened the hometown show.

even though I can't make it to Seattle, I think that would be really cool.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• lolobugg said:

Shit yeah it would.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:

Shit yeah it would.

there might be a chance since Sup Pop is celebrating their anniversary around that time.

EDIT: I just checked pollstar and the Foo Fighters don't have any shows scheduled for those dates. hmmmmm

Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

edited January 2018
    tschav said:
    I'd be interested if they took some of their side projects as Seattle "openers" - get 2-3 songs in and have the guest appearances done early before rolling into a proper PJ set.
    I think that would have a very high chance of falling flat. I really can't imagine that, say, Jeff performing While My Heart Beats or Matt Cameron playing from his new solo album, or even RNDM or Brad or someone playing a baseball stadium would work very well. Anyone playing a ballpark needs to have a sound that actually fills a ballpark sound and energy wise, and, as much as I love some of those projects (especially RNDM), I don't really think any of their side projects would carry over to that big a venue well. If they're going to have an opener at that venue, it better be an act with a lot of performance power.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 370
    How about Shawn Smith just him and his piano or keyboard. 
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614
    Mudhoney for sure, unless they are on tour.
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254

lolobugg said:

SDRE would be GREAT...
    or even a Jeremy Enigk solo set,
    he has a new album out now!!

I'd throw in another one of my favorite Seattle bands...
    Minus The Bear.
    These guys are really good and they also have a "newish" album out.

I also think Car Seat Headrest or Greta Van Fleet would be a good choice,
    if PJ wanted to give some exposure to some excellent up and coming bands!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    If Sunny Day was announced i would go to these shows 100%.  Life changing band right there 
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    edited January 2018

If Sunny Day was announced i would go to these shows 100%.  Life changing band right there 

You should definitely check out Jeremy's new solo record...
    It's INCREDIBLE!!!

https://jeremyenigk.bandcamp.com/album/ghosts

Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

^^^ Been meaning to!  He’s amazing 

i know people love “an evening with pj” but opening bands have always raised the excitement for me.  Saw some great ones with PJ
  • timdwillitimdwilli Posts: 296
    Talk of a Smashing Pumpkins tour this summer that includes James Iha...does Corgan still have beef with Eddie or are they cool now?

Billy said they shot the breeze a few months ago
    Billy is into Alex Jones now - has appeared on his show recently. No thanks to that nut.
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    edited January 2018
    I personally like Mudhoney, but I guess that's the Seattle in me. If there is an opener, it would make perfect sense that it's Mudhoney especially since they're releasing a new album this year. I suppose it's likely that there will be an opener at the show since it says "Headlining" and wasn't billed as "An Evening With....", but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in August. Either way it will be an epic couple of shows that we've been craving here in Seattle for too long!
    Post edited by ZeldaZonk on
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • With the announcement artwork being a direct homage to the "Drop in the Park" show, I wonder if that hints at an eclectic mix of multiple opening acts across both shows - although that could require an early start-time for each. 

Here's who supported that show: Pete Droge, Lazy Susan, Cypress Hill, Shawn Smith, Seaweed, Jim Rose

Or it could be they just really liked that artwork and wanted to recycle it. :) 
  • Hahaha.  Right, Logan...but better if Mudhoney turned the volume up to 11 to cover Parachutes

Honestly, my rear end makes better noise than that after a + ten vodka rocks night.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ZeldaZonk said:
    I personally like Mudhoney, but I guess that's the Seattle in me. If there is an opener, it would make perfect sense that it's Mudhoney especially since they're releasing a new album this year. I suppose it's likely that there will be an opener at the show since it says "Headlining" and wasn't billed as "An Evening With....", but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in August. Either way it will be an epic couple of shows that we've been craving here in Seattle for too long!
    I hope it's Mudhoney as well.
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,411
    No openers
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)