Opening band for the Seattle shows?

Comments

• Brad, Stereo Embers & Thunderpussy would get my vote!
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I personally like Mudhoney, but I guess that's the Seattle in me. If there is an opener, it would make perfect sense that it's Mudhoney especially since they're releasing a new album this year. I suppose it's likely that there will be an opener at the show since it says "Headlining" and wasn't billed as "An Evening With....", but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in August. Either way it will be an epic couple of shows that we've been craving here in Seattle for too long!
    I hope it's Mudhoney as well.
     =) 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I personally like Mudhoney, but I guess that's the Seattle in me. If there is an opener, it would make perfect sense that it's Mudhoney especially since they're releasing a new album this year. I suppose it's likely that there will be an opener at the show since it says "Headlining" and wasn't billed as "An Evening With....", but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in August. Either way it will be an epic couple of shows that we've been craving here in Seattle for too long!
    I hope it's Mudhoney as well.
     =) 

Well, there's one in every crowd. Or maybe two. But not more than two.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • silvosilvo Posts: 293
    When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.

They had Off and BRMC open for them in the UK in 2014.  Off I could have done without, but BRMC were great and we still got an epic length show from PJ.  Was a cool day.

The Milton Keynes show was great with the openers noted above. Didn't affect the PJ show length or performance (which was awesome) and it suited the venue. A big open space where you were encouraged to get there a bit earlier and take in the support bands. BRMC were great and got the crowd warmed up nicely. Almost like a mini-festival type vibe. I would think this format would be ideal for the Seattle shows.......although I won't be in attendance unfortunately.
  • My bet is, there will be two opening bands from the area. Be it Mudhoney, AiC, Band of Horses or whatever.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • The War on drugs. 
    Nissan Pavilion Stone Ridge, Bristow Virginia, 7-1-2003; Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin, 3-9-2011 & 4-9-2011; Estadio Nacional, San José, Costa Rica, 11-20-2011; 02 Arena, Prague, Czech Republic, 7-2-2012; 02 World, Berlin, Germany, 7-4-2012; Ericsson Globe, Stockholm, Sweden, 7-7-2012; Oslo Spektrum, Norway, 7-9-2012; Forum, Copenhagen, Denmark, 7-10-2012; 1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore, Maryland, 10-27-2013; Global Citizen Festival, NYC, 9-26-2015; Foro Sol, México D.F., 11-28-2015; Madison Square Garden, NYC, 05-01-2016; Madison Square Garden, NYC, 05-02-2016; Safeco Field, Seattle, Washington, 8-8-2018; Safeco Field, Seattle, Washington 8-10-2018.
    http://livefootsteps.org/USER/?USR=1225

• especially....cause i only do rail now....i hope no opening band cause i don't think it's fair to make us important fans wait 3 hours in a ga pit to see a band they don't want to see.....
    saw mudhoney in a small club once, had ear plugs in, and heard them perfectly that way. i wouldn't see them again without ear plugs.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,400
    especially....cause i only do rail now....i hope no opening band cause i don't think it's fair to make us important fans wait 3 hours in a ga pit to see a band they don't want to see.....
    saw mudhoney in a small club once, had ear plugs in, and heard them perfectly that way. i wouldn't see them again without ear plugs.
    please let this be sarcasm.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SP218311SP218311 Posts: 230
    Openers for a stadium show make sense only because it eases the crush on the gates.  Some people will go in for the opener, some won't.  But it stops everyone from showing up 15-30 mins before PJ takes the stage.  Not sure how smooth entry is at Safeco, but every time there's no opener at Fenway, it takes forever to get inside.  I think that "PJ might do an acoustic set so get in early" rumor for the first Fenway show in 2016 was directly related to the McCartney show a few weeks prior, where Sir Paul took the stage like 45 mins late because people weren't in their seats (he had no opener).

Also, PJ can still play 3 hour sets, just have the openers come out early.  Either way, psyched for the Home Shows!
    1998 Mansfield 09/15 | 2000 Mansfield 08/30 | 2003 Mansfield 07/02, 07/03, 07/11 | 2004 Boston 09/28 | 2006 Boston 05/24, 05/25 | 
    2008 Mansfield 06/28, 06/30 | 2009 Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 | 2010 Boston 05/17 | 2013 Worcester 10/15, 10/16 - Hartford 10/25 |
    2016 Boston 08/05, 08/07 - Chicago 08/20, 08/22 | 2018 Seattle 08/08, 08/10 - Boston 09/02, 09/04 | 2022 Denver, 09/22
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,179
    edited January 2018
    us important fans

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:
    especially....cause i only do rail now....i hope no opening band cause i don't think it's fair to make us important fans wait 3 hours in a ga pit to see a band they don't want to see.....
    rail or nothing. ga or nothing. i absolutely have to have the band notice me....there is no other way now....there is no going back...
    in fact i traveled from the west coast of the usa going, all over europe and south america, and only went for rail at every show and i met the greatest people ever and they all knew i was the biggest fan ever....
  • us important fans

i am so important that i feel totally entitled 
  • us important fans

:lol: importance level 1-10?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    timdwilli said:
    Talk of a Smashing Pumpkins tour this summer that includes James Iha...does Corgan still have beef with Eddie or are they cool now?

Billy Corgan has a beef with everyone who isn't Billy Corgan.
  • us important fans

it's way beyond that scale my friend....
  • ^^ :rofl:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Wow, the hate here for opening bands is very strange.
    Those with the hate are all basically saying, please don't introduce me to new music, thanks. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,844
    edited January 2018
    Wow, the hate here for opening bands is very strange.
    Those with the hate are all basically saying, please don't introduce me to new music, thanks. 
    You are getting pretty close to my lawn.  Can you just back it up a few steps?  I need to hear 3.5 hours of Pearl Jam and only Pearl Jam.  

sincerely,
    Angry old guy.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I usually like openers as a way relax or to find new music. However their are some shows where I would just prefer the main band. Especially the ones that play 3 hour shows or more.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • us important fans

it's way beyond that scale my friend....

"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,836
    JimmyV said:
    Zod said:
    When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.
    Mudhoney opened the last handful of shows on the 2013 tour.   PJ still played over 3 hours in Vancouver/Seattle.   They ended up blowing well past curfew.

Which then begs the question, how strict is the noise curfew at Safeco?   It's not exactly in a residential area.
    Not sure about Seattle but they blew past curfew at Fenway on night 2 and it's absolutely in a residential area.

From what I remember about Fenway:

It was suggested to end at 10:30 with a fine for playing after 11. Both nights were approximate starts of about 7:30. Night two ended about 10:40-10:45.

I'm sure the times are listed in the live threads, but the Fenway times were approximately an hour earlier than typical.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    I usually like openers as a way relax or to find new music. However their are some shows where I would just prefer the main band. Especially the ones that play 3 hour shows or more.  
    Yeah, I can get that. It works great for bands to "pad" out the show.

And ofc, the tradition of helping out smaller bands is a great tradition (maybe Mudhoney is a bit to established and "old" to get that help though. Haha).

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    Mudhoney is new music?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Mudhoney is new music?
    I'm just saying 'More PJ please" and also....I think listening to Mudhoney live is not something I ever want to do again.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,387
    Count me in the Mudhoney camp. They’re great live, would love to see them again.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    rail or nothing. ga or nothing. i absolutely have to have the band notice me....there is no other way now....there is no going back...
    in fact i traveled from the west coast of the usa going, all over europe and south america, and only went for rail at every show and i met the greatest people ever and they all knew i was the biggest fan ever....
    Do you weigh 1000 lbs?  
  • Do you weigh 1000 lbs?  
    almost....and if this helps.... 
    i buy every shirt and every poster, regardless of whether i have been to the show OR whether i even like the poster and i collect and trade pins and stickers and socks. i never sell on ebay anymore unless i can easily convince myself that times are tough and i need a new porsche. i also have the dog collars in every color offered.  probably there is something i have missed but u might get the picture....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,894
    edited January 2018
    It's not that for me at all. I love hearing new bands/music. For me it's all about 1) PJ always getting Mudhoney to play, lol, and 2) when PJ plays 3+ hours, having an opener results in the folks in the pit being on their feet and, if they want a good spot, unable to use the washroom for 6 hours. That is just too long for the GA folks. It's too long for a good half of the people in the stands too. I know we're PJ freaks here, but a majority of the folks there are still more casual fans, and they really don't want to be at a concert for up to 5 hours. By the first encore the crowd energy can wain.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    No.  We, with all the hate, are bascially saying "Opening bands usually suck so just skip the bullshit and give me 3 hours of what I came to see. Thanks."
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560

What's Sleater Kinney doing this summer?