Options

Please Give Us An Experimental Album

Comments

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    PJ_Soul said:
    Aural shart was of course me screwing around.  But evacuation is hard to take.  Grievance is another from that album that is a tough one for me.  I think we all have differing opinions of course, but just look at album sales for a good stat- of course it’s a popularity thing, but their weakest selling albums are Binaural and RA- and I tend to
    understand why.
    I tend not to. When Sirens is considered a radio hit I know that the general public is not a good measure of great music.
    I like the way you think
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited January 2018
    I agree that sirens blows! I happen to think it just happened to be the single and the only song from LB to get any airtime so the younger generation grabbed ahold of it.  It’s different times these days with how things hit the streets and become popular.  I always think old school though, like how many people walked into a store and bought the album.  (Prepare for the biggest run on sentence ever...) The first 3 were huge, the next two slightly less popular at the time and they were battling Ticketmaster and all that, the following two were pretty much the band’s low point in popularity, then avocado fell in there with no huge hubbub and then backspacer was sold in target to try to get some fans back under them I think, then lb came during the social media age.  Sirens just tries so hard and good for the band since it pulled in tons of new fans I think.

for me binaural falls towards the middle/ back of the pack these days. I don’t hate it, by any means, I just find that I can’t listen to it front to back like ten, nc, vs, vitalogy, yield, s/t, or lb. shit even riot act I can handle all the way through, and I tend to lump that in with binaural

edit for thread integrity-

i would love experimental, but to me that means like no code, not like Matt Cameron stuff
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    PJ_Soul said:
    Aural shart was of course me screwing around.  But evacuation is hard to take.  Grievance is another from that album that is a tough one for me.  I think we all have differing opinions of course, but just look at album sales for a good stat- of course it’s a popularity thing, but their weakest selling albums are Binaural and RA- and I tend to
    understand why.
    I tend not to. When Sirens is considered a radio hit I know that the general public is not a good measure of great music.
    It was cool of Richard Marx to let Pearl Jam cover Sirens. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I don't think we're going to see a record like that, but hell we can always make some Pearl Jam inspired experimental music ourselves.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.
    Oh that's rough...  No one liked the solo in Sirens?  I dug that.

As for experimental I'd like to see them revisit no code and Yield days.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    This band is not stuck in 1998 like most here would like them to be , they are all looking at their careers after this is done I bet they all like doing their own music in their terms ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.

Way too much cheese.  And I’ll never forgive BOB for overhyping the song in prerelease interviews by comparing it to Black. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I thought that Lightning Bolt was pretty experimental.

"Pendulum"; "Infallible"; "Mind Your Manners"; "My Father's Son"; "Let the Records Play"; hell, even "Sirens"--none of those sound like typical Pearl Jam songs to me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

"Pendulum"; "Infallible"; "Mind Your Manners"; "My Father's Son"; "Let the Records Play"; hell, even "Sirens"--none of those sound like typical Pearl Jam songs to me.
    I agree
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.

Way too much cheese.  And I’ll never forgive BOB for overhyping the song in prerelease interviews by comparing it to Black. 
    He compared it to Black...  Really?   I'm glad I don't read every article that comes out.
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 575
    dankind said:

Totally agree!! The songs were different in dynamics!!
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.
    Jesus Christ!  It DOES sound like a Richard Marx song!!!

Also, Evacuation and Grievance are two of my faves from BInaural.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.
    Jesus Christ!  It DOES sound like a Richard Marx song!!!

Also, Evacuation and Grievance are two of my faves from BInaural.
    Wait, I thought it was Richard Marxx (two x's).
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.
    Was it considered a hit? I only heard it maybe 2 or 3 times tops. Was it just my local stations not playing it, or was it really a hit?
    I didn't hate it, I could take it or leave it. Actually prefer it over about at least half of the album.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Sirens4 said:
    dankind said:

A band changing the sound up (to something worse) is not what experimental means.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    understand why.
    Was it considered a hit? I only heard it maybe 2 or 3 times tops. Was it just my local stations not playing it, or was it really a hit?
    I didn't hate it, I could take it or leave it. Actually prefer it over about at least half of the album.
    Yes, it was definitely a radio hit for a bit. And 25 million+ views on youtube. That's definitely pop hit territory. I mean, not Justin Beiber hit levels obviously, but still... Oh hey, look, I just solidified my point about the meaningless of popularity in the context of quality music, lol. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sirens4 said:
    dankind said:

A band changing the sound up (to something worse) is not what experimental means.
    https://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    I think I must be the only Pearl Jam fan that thinks Riot Act is an amazing album  =)
  • Options
    cv658133 said:
    I think I must be the only Pearl Jam fan that thinks Riot Act is an amazing album  =)
    It ranks highly with me as well. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    cv658133 said:
    You mean you actually liked two things on here today and din't bitch about it!!!

Holy shit folks someone has hacked @dankind s account!!!

B) 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    cv658133 said:
    You mean you actually liked two things on here today and din't bitch about it!!!

Holy shit folks someone has hacked @dankind s account!!!

B) 
    Go suck a lemon!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cv658133 said:
    No, you're not. Lots of people love it. I think it's one of their best albums.
  • Options
    Lol I’ve been a total bitch for a few months on here, that post should be about me- I have to stop complaining!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    cv658133 said:
    I love Riot Act!
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    I like Riot Act a lot more than I did 15 years ago. I liked it back then too, but it has grown on my more than Avocado or Binaural has I think.
    But it still lacks any of those just amazing songs that drove me to love PJ, like Corduroy, RVM, Release, Present Tense and so on.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771
    understand why.
    Album sales are the worst indicator for quality musical art. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    hsohi said:
    Like the title says. An album with a 30 minute rendition of “Alive” or a mashup of “Evenflow” and “Daughter” lasting 45 minutes. Maybe throw in some new instruments to our favourite songs. For example play some sitar on “Inside Job”.

Lets think outside the box to avoid another typical studio album.
    L.O.L.
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    understand why.
    Album sales are the worst indicator for quality musical art. 
    I agree, I’m not arguing with you. While album sales numbers are not the worst stat to me, I get what you’re saying.  I look at sales for reference, as I would amazon reviews or IMDb ratings or movie sales. I mentioned album sales as an example of how those two albums were received upon release.  How you personally feel about them is your personal feeling, just like mine is mine.

people are pretty sensitive these days, it’s just a forum, don’t take things personally.

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    after 4 years, it's a new PJ record. looking forward to whatever they have to offer, just psyched and it will help with being 53!
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    after 4 years, it's a new PJ record. looking forward to whatever they have to offer, just psyched and it will help with being 53!
    Eddie’s 53, it can’t be that bad!