Options

Don't be stupid like me:(

TMC53007TMC53007 Posts: 5
edited December 2017 in Lost Dogs
Hello
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this. I've never posted here but felt compelled to after my Ebay experience.  It's my fault no doubt but i just want others to learn from my mistake,  I purchased a autographed Eddie Vedder baseball for my wife for x-mas. Here's the link. [Ebay link removed by Admin]
  I didn't really think anything of the purchase other than my wife will LOVE it. So I got the ball and IMMEDIATELY sent it out to be authenticated by JSA which cost me around $85 to do.  Well I got it back a few days ago and JSA listed 6 different reason explaining why the signature was a fake.  I immediately contacted the seller who gave me a refund provided I return the ball to him.  I did so with a note asking him to please not attempt to resell the ball again and have another fan go through what I have.  So in the end I did get a refund for the purchase of the ball BUT I did loose the $85+ to send it into be authenticated.  The seller didn't even acknowledge the ball was a fake or apologize or offer any type reimbursement for the money spent on authentication knowing it was fake.   

However it appears to me that there is absolutely NOTHING stopping him from trying to sell the same ball again.  So if your looking for a signed Eddie Vedder baseball only purchase one that is already authenticated and save yourself some headaches,time and cash. 
AUGUST 29, 1992, MARCH 10, 1994, MARCH 13, 1994, JULY 08, 1995, JULY 09, 1995, JULY 11, 1995, JUNE 29, 1998, JUNE 27, 1998, JUNE 26, 1998, AUGUST 18, 2000, OCTOBER 09, 2000, OCTOBER 08, 2000, JUNE 21, 2003, JUNE 18, 2003, OCTOBER 05, 2005,  MAY 17, 2006, MAY 16, 2006, AUGUST 24, 2009, AUGUST 23, 2009, JULY 19, 2013, OCTOBER 20, 2014, AUGUST 20, 2016,  AUGUST 22, 2016
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    Not busting your balls or anything, and happy you got your money back, but this is a clear fake just by glancing at the first picture.
  • Options
    To be fair i have seen worse fakes. Sorry you had to go through this. Some people need a slap
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    please always check here with a few of us first. There are other threads you can search and see who to pm and seek out including me.  Ed has a few signature variations over the years but this forum here and the members are a great resource for what's real and what's fake.
    -EV
  • Options
    MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    That sucks, and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.  I actually saw that listing too.  Just be aware that there are pieces of sh*t out there on ebay, and like elwayvedder said, check with everyone here first to be sure it's legit.  I hope you ended up getting your wife something else wonderful for Christmas though.
  • Options
    booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 253
    I'm glad you gave a negative rating to the seller.  Ignorance is no defense for selling a forgery.
  • Options
    I'm glad you gave a negative rating to the seller.  Ignorance is no defense for selling a forgery.
    This. Unfortunate he didn't even apologize or own up to the mistake, whether it was deliberate or not.
  • Options
    Looks like the guy has a few EV fakes - #272975005842
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    please always check here with a few of us first. There are other threads you can search and see who to pm and seek out including me.  Ed has a few signature variations over the years but this forum here and the members are a great resource for what's real and what's fake.
    -EV
    The 10Club also used to offer an opinion on whether autographs were authentic or not. I'm not sure if they still do that.
  • Options
    TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    I just sent the seller a nice note about selling fake sh*t, especially during the holidays.  What a POS!
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Options
    sloveniaslovenia Posts: 102
    here is a ball being sold on kijiji. comes with COA, but COA's aren't 100% legit these days. and i'm not a signature expert either.  
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/city-of-toronto/eddie-vedder-signed-autographed-rawlings-baseball-coa/1307352998
  • Options
    slovenia said:
    here is a ball being sold on kijiji. comes with COA, but COA's aren't 100% legit these days. and i'm not a signature expert either.  
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/city-of-toronto/eddie-vedder-signed-autographed-rawlings-baseball-coa/1307352998
    That one looks much more legit, but you're right - COAs, outside of being from PSA/DNA, are worthless pieces of paper that anyone can print up.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    I think you're lucky. I've heard of similar (non-PJ related) situations and my understanding is the seller just has to say he didn't know it was a fake and you're SOL. Only if you can show he knew then you'd have a shot, but that's really hard to prove. 
    But if you really want to help the next buyer, contact eBay with what you have and they may shut his account down if he is knowingly selling fakes
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,423
    I'd never buy any autographed items unless you are buying them from the primary source.
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    There are honest sellers on Ebay. You need to research, ask lots of questions. But once you know the bands signatures it’s easy to spot a fake a mile away. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:
    I think you're lucky. I've heard of similar (non-PJ related) situations and my understanding is the seller just has to say he didn't know it was a fake and you're SOL. Only if you can show he knew then you'd have a shot, but that's really hard to prove. 
    But if you really want to help the next buyer, contact eBay with what you have and they may shut his account down if he is knowingly selling fakes
    I once bought an expensive album that the seller claimed was an original, but once I got it I immediately knew that it was a bad bootleg, so asked for a refund. She was all pissy and defensive about it claiming she didn't know, but that was bullshit - you should have seen how shoddy this thing was. So I filed a claim, and even though it was counterfeit goods all ebay (or was it paypal?) would do is tell me they'd only get me a full refund if I returned the item to the seller at my own expense, and the seller could just go on her merry way. It was too expensive to ship for it to be worth it (she was in South America or something like that), so that was no good - finally I brokered some deal where I got less than half my money back from the seller. Honestly, ebay and paypal don't seem too concerned at all about counterfeit goods being fraudulently bought and sold through them. That lady's account wasn't shut down or anything. You're right, all she had to do is tell them she thought it was the real deal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,816
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I once bought an expensive album that the seller claimed was an original, but once I got it I immediately knew that it was a bad bootleg, so asked for a refund. She was all pissy and defensive about it claiming she didn't know, but that was bullshit - you should have seen how shoddy this thing was. So I filed a claim, and even though it was counterfeit goods all ebay (or was it paypal?) would do is tell me they'd only get me a full refund if I returned the item to the seller at my own expense, and the seller could just go on her merry way. It was too expensive to ship for it to be worth it (she was in South America or something like that), so that was no good - finally I brokered some deal where I got less than half my money back from the seller. Honestly, ebay and paypal don't seem too concerned at all about counterfeit goods being fraudulently bought and sold through them. That lady's account wasn't shut down or anything. You're right, all she had to do is tell them she thought it was the real deal.
    this "ship it back at your own expense even though you were sold something fraudulently/not what was listed" is utter bullshit. which is why I hate ebay now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com