Options

2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    Great draft for Bucks..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    No surprises in the NBA awards , and from what I saw of the stream, they looked boring as hell. The Sager award for Dikembe was cool though. Harden came across like a fool in his speech
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Oladipo is one cool fucking cat.  Love that guy!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    No Coder said:
    No surprises in the NBA awards , 

except for ROY going to a guy who wasn’t a rookie :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Write to the NBA and tell them to change the rules...

In Baseball when a player gets called up and gets to see MLB pitching but only sees a few games and goes back down he is still eligible for ROY at a later time.

Stop the hate...
  • Options
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

In Baseball when a player gets called up and gets to see MLB pitching but only sees a few games and goes back down he is still eligible for ROY at a later time.

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Lebron prob shoulda got MVP. 
    Every year he should get it...

Do a side by side with Harden and Lebron's numbers.  Lebron had a yuuuuuge year.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?
    He basically redshirted.

I'm ok with it.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?
    So wait, he played in all 82 games last year?
    I somehow must have missed that.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    dbl
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    I like how George is backing away from LA now.  Gives me hope that Cleveland is working on something.  

And yes, Lebron is always the MVP, they just need to make it more interesting.  It's perfectly obvious that he's always the best player on the court when he plays.  Not saying that he always has the best game...
  • Options
    Lebron prob shoulda got MVP. 
    Every year he should get it...

Do a side by side with Harden and Lebron's numbers.  Lebron had a yuuuuuge year.
    Harden had a much better supporting cast, too.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Joel Embiid on today's Hot Ones episode:

I am so excited to watch this.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

What 82 games? He was INJURED and didn't step on the court one time. Tempo is referring to players in baseball who actually played a portion of the season before their rookie season. Does that bother you too?

Why do you care about these dumb awards so much anyway? Mitchell caring about it so much is weird too...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Rookie status in all 4 US professional sports leagues:

MLB:  A rookie is any player that has not exceeded any more than 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched AND spent fewer than 45 days on active rosters in previous seasons, excluding time spent on the disabled list or after the September 1 roster expansion.  Ben Simmons would qualify as a rookie by MLB standards.
    NBA: A rookie is any player who has not played in an NBA game prior to that year.  Ben Simmons did qualify by NBA standards.
    NFL: A rookie is any player who is in their first season in the league.  Ben Simmons would not qualify by NFL standards.
    NHL: A rookie is any player that has not played more than 25 games in any previous season AND must be younger than age 26 (the Sergei Makarov Rule).  Furthermore, a player must also not exceed 6 regular season games played in each of previous 2 seasons in ANY professional hockey league.  Ben Simmons would qualify by NHL standards.

So, in 3 of the 4 major US sports, Ben Simmons still qualified as a rookie this year.  What's the argument?

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

What 82 games? He was INJURED and didn't step on the court one time. Tempo is referring to players in baseball who actually played a portion of the season before their rookie season. Does that bother you too?

Why do you care about these dumb awards so much anyway? Mitchell caring about it so much is weird too...

I find it hilarious that this has been an issue for a lot of fans. No-one jumped up and down when Blake Griffin won it. Embiid was eligable the previous year, but didn't play enough games to get enough support to win it over Brogdon. Embiid was comfortably the better player and if he played 60+ games, most people would have been in favour of him getting it.

Don't hate on Simmons for getting the award, as by the rules of the NBA - HE QUALIFIES and WAS THE BEST ROOKIE
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

you only think I care. you post 3 words for my every 1 when I mention it.  :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    No Coder said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

I find it hilarious that this has been an issue for a lot of fans. No-one jumped up and down when Blake Griffin won it. Embiid was eligable the previous year, but didn't play enough games to get enough support to win it over Brogdon. Embiid was comfortably the better player and if he played 60+ games, most people would have been in favour of him getting it.

Don't hate on Simmons for getting the award, as by the rules of the NBA - HE QUALIFIES and WAS THE BEST ROOKIE
    Yep.

So...

Where does Lebron and Kawhi go?!?
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    No Coder said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

Yep.

So...

A

I HOPE its not to the Lakers.
  • Options
    Lebron chose not to exercise his option.  I think we all knew that was going to happen regardless.  Now free agency really begins.  
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    No Coder said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

Yep.

So...

If the Lakers can pull of the trade for Kawhi, I think they'll also get LeBron. If not, I think LeBron signs a one-and-one with the Cavs and re-evaluates next year.

I'm just not sure that San Antonio wants to trade with the Lakers. I mean, take the best offer, but it's better for them to trade him to the Eastern Conference. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    No Coder said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

Yep.

So...

If the Lakers can pull of the trade for Kawhi, I think they'll also get LeBron. If not, I think LeBron signs a one-and-one with the Cavs and re-evaluates next year.

I'm just not sure that San Antonio wants to trade with the Lakers. I mean, take the best offer, but it's better for them to trade him to the Eastern Conference. 
    That's why the Spurs should not trade Leonard to the Lakers. Like you said: they probably sign LeBron too. The Spurs would basically HELP the Lakers  on ther way to becoming a GREAT team, if they do the trade with Lakers.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    No Coder said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    No Coder said:

Stop the hate...

is 82 “a few games”?

Yep.

So...

That's why the Spurs should not trade Leonard to the Lakers. Like you said: they probably sign LeBron too. The Spurs would basically HELP the Lakers  on ther way to becoming a GREAT team, if they do the trade with Lakers.
    Lebron and Leonard together, with the existing Lakers cast, is still the 3rd best team in the West (presuming Paul stays with Houston).  I don't understand why James would sign onto this.  
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 614
    The NBA needs a hard cap and that’s coming from a Warriors fan since the early 90’s. If LeBron, Kawhi and George somehow ended up in LA you would instantly wreck three 50 win teams to create one 60 win team. NBA can’t sustain itself over the long run with only one or two legit title contenders a season. I hate the parity of the NFL & MLB but there has to be a middle ground. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    The NBA needs a hard cap and that’s coming from a Warriors fan since the early 90’s. If LeBron, Kawhi and George somehow ended up in LA you would instantly wreck three 50 win teams to create one 60 win team. NBA can’t sustain itself over the long run with only one or two legit title contenders a season. I hate the parity of the NFL & MLB but there has to be a middle ground. 
    Or if Lebron goes to Houston.  Might as well contract the league. 
  • Options
    Not sure why GS gets put into this convo considering they drafted all of their stars sans Durant?
  • Options
    Playoff P (5 points in their 2018 elimination game) back to OKC. The un-big three are intact!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Playoff P (5 points in their 2018 elimination game) back to OKC. The un-big three are intact!
    Wow.  Puts pressure on Lakers to land Kawhi.