Options

Rock in Peace, Tom Petty

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    This one feels appropriate today... or any other tough day....... I'm learning to fly.......

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    wait so is it true or not damn what a mess Rolling Stone posted article no ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    this feels like a hoax.  Maybe its still early and his people havent commented.  So far, it all stems just from TMZ.  Many national news organizations havent even picked it up (they are also busy with Vegas).

Hopefully someone put one over TMZ
    TMZ is usually spot on. They verify things before reporting stuff like this. They are indeed a very credible news source. People assume they're not just because they cover entertainment news, but they are actually very good with due diligence. This is their wheelhouse.
    I know that.

It still isn't being reported anywhere else with corroboration.  Still holding out wishful thinking.
    CBS News has reported that he's dead. :( Other outlets are reporting on it too (though only CBS has actually said he's dead so far).

:frowning: So sad.
    Well CBS jumped the gun for some reason, obviously... geez, I hope this doesn't draw out for him and his family, while the world waits with bated breath. That would be tough.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    Damn, not cool.  RIP Mr. Petty.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It's all true except for him actually being dead, as far as I can tell. I think it was CBS who first announced the death (who knows why - I didn't see it anywhere else before they posted it), and maybe the LAPD reposted that report? Something like that. Got a little messy, which is a shame.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's all true except for him actually being dead, as far as I can tell. I think it was CBS who first announced the death (who knows why - I didn't see it anywhere else before they posted it), and maybe the LAPD reposted that report? Something like that. Got a little messy, which is a shame.
    Holy damn poor Tom & family fans this really sucks !
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    unbelievable.  at work and just checked facebook for a second and it all is about tom petty.  RIP!  :cry:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    It ain't over yet. Maybe I'm being too hopeful but it still hasn't been definitively reported. 
    I'm still hoping and praying. Come on Tom!

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    shecky said:
    It ain't over yet. Maybe I'm being too hopeful but it still hasn't been definitively reported. 
    I'm still hoping and praying. Come on Tom!

I don't know what hope for.  It gives you some hope, but if he was without oxygen for too long, I'm not sure.... :(
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    No news is good news! 
    I believe in miracles - please join me!
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,699
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    He sure left a mark. Will be missed. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Love that his daughter just blasted Rolling Stone for being the POS magazine that they are. 
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Another of The Wilburys gone too soon.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Now it sounds like the LAPD actually told CBS he was dead, not the other way around. Wtf?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Seems like they’re keeping him alive for those close to him to say their goodbyes. His daughter posted that his bandmates were in the room with him a bit ago.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    ^ Is that possible if he is off life support? Maybe he's sub-consciously hanging on so people can say goodbye. 
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    edited October 2017
    He is still on life support but likely brain dead. Buddy at work got text today from good friend who has a relationship with one of his guitar techs.
    Post edited by Horse2345 on
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Horse2345 said:
    He is brain dead still on life support but likely brain dead. Buddy at work got text today from good friend who has a relationship with one of his guitar techs.
    Seeing reports on his twitter account that after they pulled him off life support he started breathing again on his own.
  • Options
    Damn terrible way for media outlets to put info out ...
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:
    He is brain dead still on life support but likely brain dead. Buddy at work got text today from good friend who has a relationship with one of his guitar techs.
    Seeing reports on his twitter account that after they pulled him off life support he started breathing again on his own.
    They wouldnt just take him off life support unless he was brain dead or they were palliating him and they wouldnt do that this soon.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    Horse2345 said:
    Horse2345 said:
    They wouldnt just take him off life support unless he was brain dead or they were palliating him and they wouldnt do that this soon.
    I guess.   I've read that sometimes, on super rare occasions, having the plug pulled sparks some life back into the brain.   I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.  If the lack of oxygen did extensive damage to his brain, you kind of want him to rest in peace :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Horse2345 said:
    Horse2345 said:
    I guess.   I've read that sometimes, on super rare occasions, having the plug pulled sparks some life back into the brain.   I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.  If the lack of oxygen did extensive damage to his brain, you kind of want him to rest in peace :(
    Yea there are a lot of variables that none of us know. I'm just going from what ive heard and past experience. 
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    God I hope he pulls through. Can we get ANY good news this year??!
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    One of my best musical memories was flying to Amsterdam in 2012 to see two PJ shows.  Tom Petty and jack white played the two previous nights in Amsterdam (at a smaller venue) so I went up two nights early to see each of them.  Eddie came out unannounced and sang The Waiting and American Girl with Petty and the heartbreakers. Eddie was having a blast at the show, you could tell how big of a fan he was of them while on the stage with them, and also as he watched from the side of the stage (I was nearby and he was dancing and having fun the entire show).  

I just found the videos on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/jJX7z2889Cc

https://youtu.be/yAT6viH2068

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/entertainment/tom-petty-obit/index.html

confirmed he has passed on. RIP man, another terrible loss in the world of music.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    I really don't want to live in a world without Tom Petty :(
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274
    edited October 2017
    This was posted on Tom's Twitter page:

This is such shitty news :(
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    RIP, Tom. Truly one of a kind and a legend. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    A major loss.  When I heard about it, I felt gut punched, sad, at a loss for words.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.