Rock in Peace, Tom Petty

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I grew up on Petty. Seriously gutting.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    Fuck this sucks.  What a great songwriter.   Saw him several times, including earlier this year, and he was just a legend. Planned on seeing him many more times.  RIP
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    One of the best.  Brutal news.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,105
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh noooo! I just saw him for the first time last month, and it was so great .... If he's actually gone or about to be, that's just.... fuck. :frowning: I am even more glad I made sure to attend his show. It didn't occur to me that it would be the last chance.
    ..... Pretty great way to go though I suppose, in the scheme of things. Relatively quick and painless. I guess it depends on your perspective though.
    I agree.  Having a heart attack that takes you out in minutes seems better than living old enough that you get all sort of medical problems (like dementia).   Still.. he was only 66.  I make jokes about the fact i'd rather have a massive coronary than live too old, but I was thinking age 89 or 90 or something, not 66.....  it seems too short :(
  • Options
    He was one of the few artists still on my list to see; I figured he was still fairly young and would be around forever. Spinning the black circle as soon as I get home from work. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    The band posted something on Instagram saying they needed a 'long nap' after finishing their most recent tour. I really hope someone is just fucking around.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,354
    What a horrible day.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Mother. Fucker. I’d ask “What’s next” but I’d be afraid to. 
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    R.I.P

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Just SAD

RIP: Tom Petty
  • Options
    LukinsLodgeLukinsLodge Wisconsin Posts: 25
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2017
    MayDay10 said:
    this feels like a hoax.  Maybe its still early and his people havent commented.  So far, it all stems just from TMZ.  Many national news organizations havent even picked it up (they are also busy with Vegas).

Hopefully someone put one over TMZ
    TMZ is usually spot on. They verify things before reporting stuff like this. They are indeed a very credible news source. People assume they're not just because they cover entertainment news, but they are actually very good with due diligence. This is their wheelhouse.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited October 2017
    Damn..... RIP

Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • Options
    His Birthday was in October too. 
    Ed has us sing him Happ Birthday at the last Milwaukee show. 

Then he played I won't Back Down. 

RIP you Traveling Wilbury Badass 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    gbeiser said:
    it still defers to the TMZ report.

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    RIP. Xox
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    this feels like a hoax.  Maybe its still early and his people havent commented.  So far, it all stems just from TMZ.  Many national news organizations havent even picked it up (they are also busy with Vegas).

TMZ is usually spot on. They verify things before reporting stuff like this. They are indeed a very credible news source. People assume they're not just because they cover entertainment news, but they are actually very good with due diligence. This is their wheelhouse.
    I know that.

It still isn't being reported anywhere else with corroboration.  Still holding out wishful thinking.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    MayDay10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:

I know that.

It still isn't being reported anywhere else with corroboration.  Still holding out wishful thinking.
    CBS News has reported that he's dead. :( Other outlets are reporting on it too (though only CBS has actually said he's dead so far).

:frowning: So sad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Horrble. R.I.P. Tom. :bawling:
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    It's on Billboard now and HuffPo just sent out a news notification. I believe it's true. Damn. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    it's all over the place. it's true. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:

I know that.

CBS News has reported that he's dead. :( Other outlets are reporting on it too (though only CBS has actually said he's dead so far).

:frowning: So sad.
    They all still base it on the TMZ report (it says it in every article).  Its very likely TMZ has the necessary actionable confirmation and its probably true... but still havent seen any other sources or statements from band, family, etc...  

with that said.... if it is false, I am sure they would have gotten in front of it by now.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It's not false. I wish it were too, Man. Sadly, if TMZ reports a death, it's always true (and always way ahead of any official announcements from representatives of the deceased). They most likely have their own people physically at the hospital.

This seems so sudden, but I guess that is how most heart attacks go. Too bad he couldn't be save. :disappointed:
    Just last night I came across video I took from last month's show - I don't usually film at a show, but I did it because it was a huge sing along for Free Fallin', and that happens to be my sister's favourite song, so I thought she'd enjoy the footage. I'm really glad I thought to do that now, because it was a great moment!
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    Wow, loved that guy and the band, grew up with these. Only saw him at Hyde Park recently. Really hope this isn't true, like others, I was looking forward to many more shows and music to come. 
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 635
    Just in shock. Never got to see him live, will always be one of my biggest regrets. RIP Tom.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714
    Too many this year. Enough already 
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    No, not yet Tom! It's not yet your time. Please God, please.

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,749
    Dammit.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do