Rock in Peace, Tom Petty

Comments

• link93link93 Posts: 403
    My favorite band of all time just saw them at the Greek in august. Way too soon. RIP Tom thanks for all the memories 
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    Damn, it's true.
    Well. I thank God that I got to see him on his next to last show at the Hollywood Bowl on Sept. 22. I got a motel room on Sunset Blvd. and actually walked from Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St. up to the Bowl. I always identified with his song "Into The Great Wide Open" and he played the song at this concert. Thank you Tom. Thank you God. I am blessed.
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    RIP Tom Petty. Dude was a legend, thanks for the music!
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • my heart is fucking breaking right now. rest in peace tom, we love you.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2017
    Not accurate that he is dead yet.

http://www.tmz.com/
    1:35 PM PT -- Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom's hospital room. We're told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live much longer ... but at this time, he's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    First Tom Petty show I saw was after the PJ Gorge show in '05.   

It was going to start out easy.  PJ in Vancouver one day, and then Tom Petty at the Gorge the next day.  Then PJ added the Gorge show before the Vancouver one.  So we drove down to the gorge to see PJ, back up to Vancouver to see PJ, than right back down to the gorge to see Petty.   It was pretty crazy, awesome and fun.

I don't regret it one bit, it was a helluva show.   Well worth driving all the way back to the Gorge for.

Luckily I got to see him play one more time in 2014 (at the Gorge).   I was bummed I couldn't make this years show in Vancouver.   He was mixing in some songs from Wildflowers which is my absolute favourite Tom Petty album.   Especially the Title track.  It's my favourite Tom Petty Song....

You belong among the wildflowers.......

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Fucking gutted. 

Thanks for the beautiful music, Tom.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited October 2017
    demetrios said: 
    I'm praying and blasting "Into The Great Wide Open". Please, God.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    ..... Pretty great way to go though I suppose,
    You've got to be fucking kidding me.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Weird.   TMZ issued an update:

1:35 PM PT -- Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom's hospital room. We're told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate -- the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. handled the emergency.

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm pretty sure she was pointing out that he likely wasn't in pain. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    What a bunch of fuckery this day is. 

Talk about a smooth, cool, easy going, badass  (as it gets) down to earth leader in the rock and roll world. 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Not accurate that he is dead yet.

http://www.tmz.com/
    1:35 PM PT -- Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom's hospital room. We're told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live much longer ... but at this time, he's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate. 
    Yeah, I thought it was strange that CBS actually said he was dead while using TMZ as their source, since TMZ never said he was actually dead yet (not that it matters much at this point I suppose).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm pretty sure she was pointing out that he likely wasn't in pain. 
    I specifically stated that was what I meant actually, and also pointed out that that is just a matter of perspective anyway. Usually good to quote a statement in full rather than editing it first.
    I think a sudden massive heart attack is one of the best ways to die (third only after passing away peacefully in your sleep and a massive stroke that kills you almost instantly). I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • My brother got me into Petty when I was a teenager but I didn't fully appreciate him until the Traveling Wilburys. Only two living members now. Damn. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    ^ Agreed, Soul. I agree with your whole post. There's nothing wrong with being glad someone didn't suffer. I also think editing in the quote feature is a big no no. Something about Google that Kat explained to me once. 
  • I'm just devastated! i can't stop weeping. I saw Tom Petty for the FIRST time on Sept 23 at the Hollywood Bowl. i knew he was going to retire, and that's why I needed to finally see him. It was a fucking awesome concert, and I was amazed by his energy at 66! I just can't believe it.

Rest in peace Tom, I love you!!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    edited October 2017
    I won't give up. Still time to pray.
    Post edited by shecky on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    shecky said:
    Please, stop the bickering. 

RIP Mr Petty. Never really explored your music that much, but I enjoyed what I did hear. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    A Tom Petty show was the last event I ever attended at the original Boston Garden. It was 1995, a few months before it was torn down and replaced by the new arena next door. As a Boston kid and a lifelong Celtics fan, that was a big deal. I've always cherished that memory. This is such a sad day.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    https://youtu.be/yAT6viH2068

RIP to another fallen legend.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    My thoughts and prayers go out to Tom's family and to all the victims out in Vegas after this terrible tragedy.
    HOPE.
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    Come on, Tom. Please pull through.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
  • I got to see PJ open for Petty in 2006 at Summerfest in WI. I will never forget watching Free Fallin' with fireworks going off over the lake. Also who can forget Eddie singing American Girl one night with Tom and The Waiting the other night. I grew up with Petty and the Heartbreakers as I'm sure most/all of you did. Terrible news.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Just saw on newscast reports of Tom"s death were retracted but did not hear the details. All the best wishes to him
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    FUCK