Options

2017 Pearl Jam Complete Vinyl Box Set

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PJ_Soul said:
    demetrios said:
    So I just got my Re-issue vinyls of Riot Act, self titled and Binaural and they were all sealed as where my complete box set vinyls were not sealed...

Really weird...
    It is totally weird while only Backspacer & Lightning Bolt are the only vinyl sealed in the box set.
    Yes, it is totally weird to have any sealed albums inside a boxset. Some people seem to think that all of them should be sealed just because 2 are, but in fact none of them should be if you're going off of what's normally done. I know I've never bought a boxset where the albums inside it are individually sealed.
    All were sealed in the Beatles box.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    demetrios said:
    So I just got my Re-issue vinyls of Riot Act, self titled and Binaural and they were all sealed as where my complete box set vinyls were not sealed...

Really weird...
    It is totally weird while only Backspacer & Lightning Bolt are the only vinyl sealed in the box set.
    Yes, it is totally weird to have any sealed albums inside a boxset. Some people seem to think that all of them should be sealed just because 2 are, but in fact none of them should be if you're going off of what's normally done. I know I've never bought a boxset where the albums inside it are individually sealed.
    All were sealed in the Beatles box.
    There was a Powderfinger limited set called "Seven Deadly Spins" back in 09' that had them all sealed. Also Boxer Rebellion's boxset of studio works came sealed.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Fair enough. I've never seen it myself. I don't see why it's necessary. As for having only 2 out of 10 sealed... well, that is just plain old unprofessional.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fair enough. I've never seen it myself. I don't see why it's necessary. As for having only 2 out of 10 sealed... well, that is just plain old unprofessional.
    Agree, just weird only having 2 sealed.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Here's a question...
    Do you keep them sealed,
    or open the 2 records so they match the rest of the albums in the boxset??
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:
    Here's a question...
    Do you keep them sealed,
    haha, have no idea.
  • Options
    derbydave said:
    Here's a question...
    Do you keep them sealed,
    The only way you're going to know if those two are coloured is to open them, so I'd say it's necessary if you're interested in the actual value/rarity of what you've got.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    derbydave said:
    Here's a question...
    Do you keep them sealed,
    haha, have no idea.

I think my OCD would kick in and I'd have to open them so they were all the same!! :wink:
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options

• Options
    derbydave said:
    That's hilarious... that would bug the hell out of me. :lol:
  • Options
    PkePke Ayrshire ,Scotland Posts: 846
    107 here in Scotland
    Glasgow 00
    Leeds 06
    London 07
    London Berlin London 09
    Dublin Belfast London Berlin Arras Werchter Bilbao 10
    East Troy East Troy Montreal Toronto Toronto 11
    Manchester Manchester Berlin Berlin Stockholm EV Manchester 12
    San Diego LA Oakland Portland Vancouver Seattle 13
    Berlin Leeds Tulsa Lincoln 14
    Pete Townshend & EV Chicago Global Citizen New York 15
    Philadelphia Philadelphia New York New York 16
    EV Tarmonia Tarmonia 17
    London,London,Prague,Krakow,Berlin 18
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    MedozK said:
    derbydave said:
    That's hilarious... that would bug the hell out of me. :lol:
    NICE.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They are sealed. Because it is first persings and is old stock
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    We know. It's just weird that they left it like that. They should have unwrapped them just to make the inconsistency of the set appear more consistent, lol. It's really more about optics.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lightning Bolt isn’t a first pressing.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, technically. I personally think of the defect fix as a first pressing still, but I understand why others might not.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    We know. It's just weird that they left it like that. They should have unwrapped them just to make the inconsistency of the set appear more consistent, lol. It's really more about optics.

Santos must not get a bonus for opening all records.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, technically. I personally think of the defect fix as a first pressing still, but I understand why others might not.

Are there any etchings or markings on the records to differentiate pressings? 

I am really happy I bought my first pressing at 2013 Philly 2.  It has no defects or sound issues.  Did anyone else buy their Lightening Bolt at a show without it being damaged? 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Are there any etchings or markings on the records to differentiate pressings? 

I am really happy I bought my first pressing at 2013 Philly 2.  It has no defects or sound issues.  Did anyone else buy their Lightening Bolt at a show without it being damaged? 
    The represses had the roman numerals "II" or "III" in the dead wax on side A and "II" on side B. From what I remember side A was the bad side, and you can sometime find a pressing with the new plates for side A, but the original plating with no roman numeral on side B.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Okay cool. Thank you for the information.  Mine has no roman numerals.
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:
    DewieCox said:
    MedozK said:
    dudeman said:
    MedozK said:
    BCBA said:
    Wait, are there honestly people who expected these to be new, limited, and improved pressings of each of their studio albums... but limited to 500 and not mentioned at all?

haha come on.
    Actually, if you read some of my earlier comments about the pressings included and my hopes of what could have been included... you could see my point.

And new "improved pressings" of titles happen without having been "mentioned at all". Secret or 'under the radar' re-cutting of records happen all the time.
    Kev, I'm glad you mentioned the repress of Vs and Vitalogy.  I listened to them and thought something was wrong with my system as it sounded sub par where other records sound great.

I'm glad my ear is still good and can spot a bad pressing.
    I've read about VS and Vitology reissues sounding bad. I have the OPs and the reissues from 2011 and did side by side comparisons of each a couple years ago. I'm playing the 2011 Vitology right now and I still think it sounds fine. 

Of course it's a little different than the original, but I wouldn't say it sounds bad by any means. 

Can those of you who don't like the RI elaborate on what is specifically wrong with it?

I don't want to start a debate or argument here.
    Now, I start this with.. you hear what you hear. Some will like, some will not, but leave it up to yourself to find what you like.

In my opinion on my setup, the 2011 NRP cuts of Vs. and Vitalogy (which are the cuts included in the box) are remastered with lots of compression, not as much as the 2011 CDs.. but its still there. Vs is the worst offender Vitalogy a little better, but songs like Nothingman still come across way overly harsh. With these remasters I just think everything is flat, you are not immersed in the music.. it is kinda thrown at you. With the compression, I think the top end sounds cut off, no air to the sounds. One way I try to explain my thoughts on this to friends sometimes is that.. with good sound-stage, when you turn the music up louder and louder, close your eyes, the music envelopes you more and more with less the music tends to push you back farther and farther. The dynamics and sound-stage are only a percentage of what you here on the original pressings. If you have originals, just A/B them to see what you hear. In my case, the originals are WAY better. I NEVER play the remasters.

Now to the box, I feel they fumbled this one a iittle... because now with more research I have seen that a SST cut and repressing from MPO for Vs and Vitalogy DID occur in 2016.... why these cuts were not included in the box ..I guess we will never know. But if they had, then you could have had a very respectable unified box, having all reissues cut and pressed at the same plant.

How are the SST/MPO pressings of Vs and Vitalogy?
    Haven't heard them yet. Currently trying to track them down.
    Are these the 2016 euro releases listed on discogs?  How do they compare to originals and 2011?
    No, the EU repressings are new cuts by in-house engineers at Record Industry in Holland.

The MPO pressings are in 2011 covers as much as I can get from my research, so really don't know how to recognize them without buying a new US and seeing if it contains the new MPO cut or the old 2011 cut.
    Any luck tracking a spot down that sells these yet?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    tatonatastatonatas Argentina Posts: 48
    #409 here at Argentina
    every vinyl came without the plastic that sealed , except backspacer and lightning bolt
    By the way, avocado, ten, riot act, binaural have visible marks on the front (vinyl shadow) and all vinyl have damages and marks at the corners
    happy new year
    2005: 11/25 Argentina, 11/26 Argentina
    2011: 11/13 Argentina
    2013: 4/3 Argentina, 4/6 Chile, 10/18 Brooklyn
    2015: 11/4 Chile, 11/7 Argentina
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,852
    tatonatas said:
    #409 here at Argentina
    every vinyl came without the plastic that sealed , except backspacer and lightning bolt
    By the way, avocado, ten, riot act, binaural have visible marks on the front (vinyl shadow) and all vinyl have damages and marks at the corners
    happy new year
    Whoa!!! All vinyl have damages?  :o
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    tatonatas said:
    #409 here at Argentina
    happy new year
    Whoa!!! All vinyl have damages?  :o
    And you paid a premium.... Merry Christmas!

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,852
    There's one that's #'d over the 500 being waffled over on Facebook.
  • Options
    tatonatas said:
    #409 here at Argentina
    happy new year
    Email tenclub. I did. They will replace it, but you have to destroy the damaged goods and show them the destroyed goods before sending replacements. But -  email them!

Mine had a lot of damages too. This cost a lot, plus extra customs charges and taxes and the vinyl looks like they were bought at a thrift store. Not my best purchase. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Did anyone send the box back to tenclub like @Santos L. Halper said you could? Did tenclub pay for the shipping (and any custom charges etc) ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Reviving this thread as I finally dig into this box after a year sitting on the shelf. Looks like my number is high 400s and I have a SST Vs. cut but the 2011 NRG Vitalogy edition. My Lightning Bolt Side A has no etchings just stamped numbers . Side B has etching but no Roman numerals so no idea which version I received.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."