Least favorite album cover?

riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
edited August 2017 in The Porch
Which album cover do you not like the most? 

Least favorite album cover? 159 votes

Ten
9%
SpartanacusMy3rdEyeBEnglish017pjpitt89NoloadPurex37lolobuggdannyChazzRW8297HesCalledDyerKev - Coat and KeysAbe Fromanturner78RiotZact 15 votes
VS
7%
Force Of Natureaustinevolution10lastexitlondonClonehrd2imgnI am a patriotMRMACPHISTO75PapALauxtylermooreKysmith72hihobibo 12 votes
Vitalogy
1%
DW139059jhager79Eddiefam 3 votes
No Code
4%
pjhawksOnWis97Kearn5yhm210980rgambsnortherndragonriley540 7 votes
Yield
1%
aurelguguswhampwhamp414 2 votes
Binaural
2%
bosshogg18cjzolyPJfanwillneverleave1Stickman24 4 votes
Riot act
7%
mcgruff10spnooneYefaedoconPA JammerJimmyVRP112579Verbasanhuntersthompsonrbrum7JeremyV135Bine75 12 votes
Pearl Jam
22%
ledveddermanfall by the waysidemy_wavereisgerichtgoitalonedrummerboy_73hadfiiwevsgjammSpiritual_ChaosTheLuckyOnesregalturboangiuloDaron OshayComeToTXsilvoBrainofBGAtbergsTim SimmonsDC29940Caught-A-Bolt-Of-Lightning 35 votes
Backspacer
31%
jack cameronDr. DelightVikkivaleThe Juggleron2legsKevinmanEddieshometownNamiredsfan1gotthebottleLukinFanJP33jonbond1779pledgeagrievanceadamg5PB11041BettrMan21JB23237Malrothjoberschlake 50 votes
Lightning bolt
11%
NewJPagePoncierryph raphhinsey21Indifference71reesdogTP80392Gern Blanstenjh275312brewdog123AO288807jpayne1976brianluxpearldavidson23scidooHughFreakingDillonmschostokdrakeheuer14SandyRavage 19 votes

Comments

• Binaural
    Great Poll OP!  
  • riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
    No Code
    No love for back spacer 
  • Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    Binaural
    Binaural 
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Backspacer
    Great Poll OP!  
    riley540 said:
    No love for back spacer 
    Binaural 
    I think all all of you read the question wrong....

hehehe
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Posts: 2,011
    Pearl Jam
    Self-titled is my least favorite. Great album, but the cover is the least creative in my opinion.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Backspacer
     Not a big cartoon guy 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Ten
    Just beats out Backspacer.  I'm not a big fan of Tom Tomorrow but I do like some of the Backspacer art. Just not all of it together.  Ten's cover, though, never been a big fan of album covers with band members on them.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Ten
    "Pearl Jam" would be my 3rd least favorite because I hate how everyone calls the album fucking "Avocado."
  • Lightning bolt
    not a big fan of the cover art on this one. the band pics in the book, however, I love. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Pearl Jam
    Self-titled is my least favorite. Great album, but the cover is the least creative in my opinion.
    +1
  • Lightning bolt
    reminds me of pop art. I dig it. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,803
    edited August 2017
    Pearl Jam
    This is making me think most of their album covers are pretty terrible. Vs - No Code are really the only solid ones. Binaural is pretty good too.  The rest range from passable to terrible. 

TBH, their single art (both commercial and fan club) has been infinitely better than album art. 
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,973
    Backspacer
    Backspacer is by far my least favorite. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    Ten
    Ten is easily the worst. Super cheesy group high five. The reissue is slightly better with changing that really bad pink coloring of the original. 

I love the rest of their album covers. Especially No Code & Binaural easily my two favorites 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453
    Lightning bolt
    Can't stand the red, black, white together. But what really ruins it is all I can see is a strange dog shape when I look at it. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Backspacer
    Binaural is the coolest (cover and music, really ;) and Vitalogy is so classic. I remember it being the first CD that I had that didn't have the standard plastic case.

Surprised at the dislike for Ten. I guess it is pretty cheesy. I took notice of PJ and began listening at VS. Animal especially grabbed me, so I guess the "5 against 1" thing was already a rally cry for me. The Ten cover represented that to me, even if I took it a bit out of context.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    edited August 2017
    Backspacer
    I Just really don't like the art on this album at all. I find it annoying (I guess it does go well with the music on the album in that case, but still, lol).
    My fave is probably Binaural.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Backspacer
    Vitalogy is my favourite in spite of it being a pain in the ass back in 1994 trying to line it up with the rest of my CD's that were in those jewel cases. 
    Like some of you have said, Ten is a bit cheesy but I think I let the actual music of BS get the best of me here and chose it instead.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,729
    Lightning bolt
    LB just didn't do it for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Pearl Jam
    Pearl Jam is visual disaster. Sort of. Just so weird how they come to the decision to go with that art direction.

Backspacer doesn't have an illustration-style I really dig. The digital coloring and the gradients looks cheap. It is also weird having the cover split up in 9 tiles like that. Maybe should have been 9 variants instead.

Lightning bolt looks like "adobe illustrator tutorial for beginners No1". Not a fan of that clean look. Didn't work at all printed and on t-shirts and such. 

Riot Act, Vitalogy and No Code are the champs.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    edited August 2017
    Pearl Jam
    riley540 said:
    No love for back spacer 
    If I operated the trap door chair switch, you'd go through the floor. bahhhhhhh (full transparency; a vote against No Code album cover!) 
    Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Backspacer reminds me of something KISS would have put out around the late 70's really a very ordinary album cover and that is being polite.
  • silvosilvo Posts: 293
    Pearl Jam
    Voting self titled, I don't mind the cover art but can't get past the inner sleeves, band images, etc. Love the album tho
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,272
    Backspacer
    Ten is easily the worst. Super cheesy group high five. The reissue is slightly better with changing that really bad pink coloring of the original. 

I love the rest of their album covers. Especially No Code & Binaural easily my two favorites 
    Thats exactly why I love that one. Its clear evidence what and who was emerging from that 80s scene. The clothes are amazing! Tights and all.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,272
    Backspacer
    Really a toss up out of the last 4 for me, but I think Backspacer snuck in.
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Posts: 278
    Backspacer

I just simply don't like it. Tom Tomorrow is a great artist but this just didn't work for me.

Yield for the win.

• Riot act
    The fact that the cover has forced us to call it the "Avocado album" is reason enough to vote against self-titled.....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    edited August 2017
    Backspacer
    Pearl Jam is visual disaster. Sort of. Just so weird how they come to the decision to go with that art direction.

Backspacer doesn't have an illustration-style I really dig. The digital coloring and the gradients looks cheap. It is also weird having the cover split up in 9 tiles like that. Maybe should have been 9 variants instead.

Lightning bolt looks like "adobe illustrator tutorial for beginners No1". Not a fan of that clean look. Didn't work at all printed and on t-shirts and such. 

Riot Act, Vitalogy and No Code are the champs.
    I am not in love with the cover (I don't hate it either - I mean, it's a halved avocado. How is that THAT bad? ;) ). But the inner gatefold art on that album is super duper cool IMO. I find it impossible to separate that from the front of it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Pearl Jam
    The fact that the cover has forced us to call it the "Avocado album" is reason enough to vote against self-titled.....
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,173
    Backspacer
    Who said Vitalogy?  Get a rope...