Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    Was told by a nutritionist that you should not use Canola nor Vegetable Oil. 
    Didn't probe for more details, just took him at his word as he was pretty knowledgeable.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    bbiggs said:
    Prepping....request from the four year old that we make pizzas tonight.  Sauce is done, dough balls have been in the fridge for hours.  I've been eating pizza sparingly, this is gonna be good

Question?

I was told by an Italian to not use Olive Oil and just use Canola and it would actually taste better?

I've never attempted to make my own pizza so I don't know.
    Olive oil > canola oil all day. Much healthier too. 
    Canola is pretty bland; Olive oil is going to have more flavor.  But I wouldn't say it's "much healthier" than Canola.  They're still the two healthiest oils you can use in cooking; both are low in saturated fat and contain a decent amount of Omega-3's. I would still prefer Olive oil for pizza just because of the flavor component.  Canola has a higher smoke point, so it is better for high-temp cooking like fying (which may be where the unhealthy misconception comes from).
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, olive oil is better IMO, but it's just a matter of taste. Canola has less flavour, and olive oil has a stronger and distinct flavour, so if someone isn't a big fan of the flavour of olive oil, then canola is the way to go.
    Just curious if you know what type of oil your favorite pizzeria uses?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    Was told by a nutritionist that you should not use Canola nor Vegetable Oil. 
    Didn't probe for more details, just took him at his word as he was pretty knowledgeable.

Meh. I hear all kinds of stories like that from nutritionists, and yeah, they're really good at making just about any quack theory sound like they really know what they're talking about. At least half of it is complete bullshit IMHO. You combine all the advise like that passed on my nutritionists, and you'll end up starving to death, lol. Not that nutritionists can't be useful... but a whole lot of them major flakes too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    bbiggs said:
    Prepping....request from the four year old that we make pizzas tonight.  Sauce is done, dough balls have been in the fridge for hours.  I've been eating pizza sparingly, this is gonna be good

Question?

I was told by an Italian to not use Olive Oil and just use Canola and it would actually taste better?

Canola is pretty bland; Olive oil is going to have more flavor.  But I wouldn't say it's "much healthier" than Canola.  They're still the two healthiest oils you can use in cooking; both are low in saturated fat and contain a decent amount of Omega-3's. I would still prefer Olive oil for pizza just because of the flavor component.  Canola has a higher smoke point, so it is better for high-temp cooking like fying (which may be where the unhealthy misconception comes from).
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, olive oil is better IMO, but it's just a matter of taste. Canola has less flavour, and olive oil has a stronger and distinct flavour, so if someone isn't a big fan of the flavour of olive oil, then canola is the way to go.
    Olive
    Never seen a pizza pro tout any other oil
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Question?

PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, virgin olive oil.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    bbiggs said:

Question?

PJ_Soul said:
    I have no clue.  We don't really have any good pizzerias locally, they probably all use shit partially-hyrdogenated vegetable oil cuz it comes in cheap, 5-gallon buckets.
  • Options
    Govt Oil?!  :lol:
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    For the record, this is my favorite thread on the forum. Please, continue everyone. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    mschostok said:
    For the record, this is my favorite thread on the forum. Please, continue everyone. 
    Absolutely.  The craft beer thread is my second favorite thread. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Definitely prefer Olive oil but still use canola for dough and sauting. Olive for sauce, finishing, etc. This is mainly because i'm poor and can't really afford to be blowing thru bottles of Olive oil left and right as i love to cook and do it often. That being said Trader Joe's has some great Oils for a decent price. 

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/guide-to-evoo
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    You don't want to use olive oil all the time obviously; that flavour does not suit many, many dishes ... But I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to use it for pizza specifically.
  • Options
    Because the pros say so.  They know more about oil than we do.
  • Options
    Because the pros say so.  They know more about oil than we do.
    Don't most pros use olive oil for pizza??
  • Options
    Sorry, misread...thought you were questioning why to use....I see you were asking why wouldn't you use...
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    All true but canola is GMO based on most cases. That’s the differentiator from a health perspective. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bbiggs said:
    All true but canola is GMO based on most cases. That’s the differentiator from a health perspective. 
    GMOs and health have nothing to do with each other, generally. Anything making a GMO canola oil less healthy would likely be the same thing making a non-GMO canola oil less healthy (or not). That GMOs are worse from a health perspective just because they are GMOs is a common misconception in the fight against GMOs.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ^ If I have my choice to eat GMO or non-GMO, I’m going non-GMO every time. I think the jury is still out about GMO in general, but most of the time the reason the crop is GMO is so it can withstand the heavy dose of glyphosate it will get. I don’t think the health consequences of eating glyphosate are debatable. But that’s probably a conversation for another thread, so back to pies!! ;) 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bbiggs said:
    ^ If I have my choice to eat GMO or non-GMO, I’m going non-GMO every time. I think the jury is still out about GMO in general, but most of the time the reason the crop is GMO is so it can withstand the heavy dose of glyphosate it will get. I don’t think the health consequences of eating glyphosate are debatable. But that’s probably a conversation for another thread, so back to pies!! ;) 
    Aw, but it's such a good conversation. ;) Just one last post: I am super anti-GMO, but it has nothing to do with health at all. Of course you get a dose of any number of poisons from GMO food (though I disagree that "most" of the time that is what a GMO crop is about - the purposes of GMOs are all over the board) ... But you can get a dose of poison from non-GMO foods too. There are GMOs that didn't get a heavy dose of glyphosate. There are plenty of GMOs that actually require fewer pesticides because it is more resilient and doesn't require as many to thrive. What I'm really saying (obviously) is that poisons in our foods isn't really a GMO problem. It's a food problem. And frankly, GMOs could literally be promoted as a way to significantly lower our exposure, if the GMO industry wanted to go that way. Anyway, being against GMOs isn't about health for me - it the terrible global socio-economic consequences that the GMO industry has and will have in the future as it grows. That scares the shit out of me!!

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    just ate some leftover buffalo chicken pizza....nothing I would ever order and this confirmed it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    You know what leftover buffalo chicken pizza needs?
    A shitton of hot sauce.  Red onion and hot sauce will make any crappy pizza taste ok.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mschostok said:
    Haha! Thanks man! Wish I could make it to Wrigley this year.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    just ate some leftover buffalo chicken pizza....nothing I would ever order and this confirmed it.

Man you are in the gutter lately.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Definitely prefer Olive oil but still use canola for dough and sauting. Olive for sauce, finishing, etc. This is mainly because i'm poor and can't really afford to be blowing thru bottles of Olive oil left and right as i love to cook and do it often. That being said Trader Joe's has some great Oils for a decent price. 

I should have been clearer on this.

The dough.

Do they all use olive oil for the dough?

Thread integrity:

I'm attending a wedding rehearsal dinner tonight at an Italian place where they serve good food and Pizza.  

Do I bypass the food and go straight for the pizza?
  • Options
    ^ you absolutely bypass the food and go straight for the pizza! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    The question is almost rhetorical at this point, lol.

I just need a little encouragement!!!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

This is the right place to find that needed encouragement, my friend! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

This is the right place to find that needed encouragement, my friend! 
    Funny how I only needed prodding from one person, lol.

I'll take pics.  It's a new place to me so we shall see.
  • Options

The dough.

Thread integrity:

I'm attending a wedding rehearsal dinner tonight at an Italian place where they serve good food and Pizza.  

I went to a rehearsal dinner at a place like that once.  A dude who never drinks drank with us and he barfed pie all over the patio.  It was fucking awesome.  Top 5 rehearsal dinner.

And I love your thought process.  Have fun!
  • Options

The dough.

Thread integrity:

I went to a rehearsal dinner at a place like that once.  A dude who never drinks drank with us and he barfed pie all over the patio.  It was fucking awesome.  Top 5 rehearsal dinner.

And I love your thought process.  Have fun!
    I'm hoping that we do not "top" your rehearsal dinner, lol.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, blech. I don't like that either. I don't like chicken on pizza much in any case, but the buffalo chicken pizzas are the worst ones.