The Pizza Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ That was actually some funny shit. But man, does Jon Stewart have this so terribly, terribly wrong...
    I know, deep dish is worse than he says it is!

I love deep dish.

The crusty cheese on the edge and the chewy bites. Mmmmm.
    You’re spot on. The crust is like nothing else in the world of pizza. 

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ That was actually some funny shit. But man, does Jon Stewart have this so terribly, terribly wrong...
    Oh man you’re gonna eat those words this weekend! 
    OK, give me the best deep dish in the magnificent mile area.  Come on bud, I'm trusting you.  Make me a believer in the deep dish.
    In that area, Lou Malnatis. Period. Get a sausage deep dish and thank me later. Done buy into this “dropping a Lou” nonsense. 

A little further away, Pequods. It’s between your hotel and Wrigley. I may even go after the show Monday. If I go before I might need a nap in GA! Lol 
    And get a little thin crust too. Best of both worlds! 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OK, give me the best deep dish in the magnificent mile area.  Come on bud, I'm trusting you.  Make me a believer in the deep dish.
    In that area, Lou Malnatis. Period. Get a sausage deep dish and thank me later. Done buy into this “dropping a Lou” nonsense. 

A little further away, Pequods. It’s between your hotel and Wrigley. I may even go after the show Monday. If I go before I might need a nap in GA! Lol 
    Do you recommend a reservation for lou’s?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nah. If you’re going prime time, maybe call ahead and see what the wait time is and if they can take your name down. If there’s a wait, there are plenty of spots nearby to grab a drink. 
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nah. If you’re going prime time, maybe call ahead and see what the wait time is and if they can take your name down. If there’s a wait, there are plenty of spots nearby to grab a drink. 
    Dude there is 52 locations!!! you are sending me to a chain restaurant?! i have pizza hut here in nj, is there a difference?  ;)

I guess this one is closest to me?

Lou Malnati's Chicago - River North
    Full Service Restaurant & Bar
    439 North Wells Street
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Scruffy, hit up Pat’s in Lincoln Park for thin crust and either try the four cheese, Pat’s special, or pick your own poison for toppings. 

I’ll second the nod for Lou Malnati’s for deep dish. Definitely get a sausage or a classic (sausage on butter crust w/extra mozzarella). 

Hope you enjoy! Even if you don’t end up a believer, I’m glad you're excited to give it all a shot! 
    Solid advice Dyer, thank you!  It's gonna feel weird eating pizza with a damn knife and fork.  Do they have a decent selection of local beer at Lou's?
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

Dude there is 52 locations!!! you are sending me to a chain restaurant?! i have pizza hut here in nj, is there a difference?  ;)

439 North Wells Street
    Lol...don’t let the number of locations fool you. It’s the bomb! I’m eager to hear your feedback. Go to the one in River North. It will be walking distance. Forget about the other 51 l
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

439 North Wells Street
    Lol...don’t let the number of locations fool you. It’s the bomb! I’m eager to hear your feedback. Go to the one in River North. It will be walking distance. Forget about the other 51 l
    I think we are going to head there sunday night.  I wish we had more time in chicago, damn kids.
    you guys recommend the sears tower?

mcgruff10 said:
    Solid advice Dyer, thank you!  It's gonna feel weird eating pizza with a damn knife and fork.  Do they have a decent selection of local beer at Lou's?
    Knife and fork required. Beer selection will be average at best. You’ll have plenty of watering holes with better beer nearby for afterward though. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

439 North Wells Street
    I think we are going to head there sunday night.  I wish we had more time in chicago, damn kids.
    you guys recommend the sears tower?

Cool. We’ll have to hook up Monday by Wrigley for a beer and I want to hear the full report on your Lous experience. Sears Tower is cool if you’ve never done it. I’d give it a whirl. And nice work not calling it Willis Tower. ;)
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Homemade pizza last night.

No pics.

I suck.

Pizza was delicious, though.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

McGruff -- in all seriousness....if you go to Lou's...pay attention to my story of intestinal battles and the term 'Dropping a Lou's'
    I am NOT advising against trying some -- my strong suggestion would be to have 1 piece - 2 at tops.
    Do not get a "personal pan" -- this is enough for 2-3 people who do not hail from the midwest.

Let us know what you think!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    “It has to have cup-and-char pepperoni with grease in the center of each cup and blackening on the top along the rim."

@Wobbie -- I think we can now safely classify your pizza tastes.  You are a Buffalo Pizza guy - you just didn't know it.

Thought of you and how you love the curled pepperoni.  (I also clap for that)

bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

McGruff -- in all seriousness....if you go to Lou's...pay attention to my story of intestinal battles and the term 'Dropping a Lou's'
    I am NOT advising against trying some -- my strong suggestion would be to have 1 piece - 2 at tops.
    Do not get a "personal pan" -- this is enough for 2-3 people who do not hail from the midwest.

Oh I will. Probably gonna head there Sunday night. I don’t want to be shitting all night at the concert. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

Oh I will. Probably gonna head there Sunday night. I don’t want to be shitting all night at the concert. 

Do not eat before

you will waddle in Wrigley

after the show it hits the spot
    I'm thinking of getting this one:
    The Malnati Chicago Classic™ (nutrition)

Made with Lou's lean sausage, some extra cheese and vine-ripened tomato sauce on Buttercrust.™ It's authentic Chicago!

• Personal (serves 1) $10.25
    Only if you split it with your better half.  Heed the warnings about a personal pan at Lou's! 
    :lol: 
    Seriously, I think we know why the middle of the country carries more weight than the coasts....
    Only if you split it with your better half.  Heed the warnings about a personal pan at Lou's! 
    Seriously, I think we know why the middle of the country carries more weight than the coasts....
    Wait a second...it says serves one?!  I should split this with my wife?  Maybe get an appetizer as well?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wait a second...it says serves one?!  I should split this with my wife?  Maybe get an appetizer as well?
    It only serves one person from the Midwest.
    I ate the personal one -- and I should have stopped at half of it. 
    Split the pie, take the cannoli.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:

Otherwise, "Mikey, won't see him no more."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's their signature pizza. One of my fav foods in the whole world. You can get much larger sizes. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Otherwise, "Mikey, won't see him no more."
    Yessir!

mcgruff10 said:

Damn this is gonna be a nice cheap dinner!  I will take your advice and save room for dessert. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:

Made with Lou's lean sausage, some extra cheese and vine-ripened tomato sauce on Buttercrust.™ It's authentic Chicago!

That's what I always get.  It's called the Chicago Classic for a reason - it is THE definitive Chicago deep dish pie.  Ignore F Me :lol: ... a personal isn't big enough for two unless both people are super light eaters (and will certainly not feed 3 unless we're talking about toddlers). I have no problem downing a whole personal, and I'm by no means a big dude nor do I have a huge appetite. And I'm from the east coast.  Just skip any salads or appetizers (except a pint, of course), go straight for the pie, and you'll be golden.
    mcgruff10 said:

That's what I always get.  It's called the Chicago Classic for a reason - it is THE definitive Chicago deep dish pie.  Ignore F Me :lol: ... a personal isn't big enough for two unless both people are super light eaters (and will certainly not feed 3 unless we're talking about toddlers). I have no problem downing a whole personal, and I'm by no means a big dude nor do I have a huge appetite. And I'm from the east coast.  Just skip any salads or appetizers (except a pint, of course), go straight for the pie, and you'll be golden.
    Brett was probably drinking some sort of vodka concoction and couldn’t fit any more of the pie in is stomach. 
    Ha! You are both funny....okay, you have been warned.  Move forward as you wish and I hope that you enjoy your trip there and you have none of the same issues I had.
    edited August 2018
    I know it is not pizza but fresh sea scallops (literally off a commercial boat this morning) over whole wheat spaghetti. Parsley to garnish. Oh baby!

^ Scallops are outstanding. Looks delicious.