Options

It would be really nice to get some news about new music or shows...

Comments

• Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    I have a feeling that we're going to get a new album sooner than you think.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mr bungle said:
    based on something, or just a feeling?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I've got a feeling!!!
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    mr bungle said:

Feeling and based on how quiet it's been for the last 7-8 months.  I think they are a lot further along in the recording process than what they have led on.  I really feel we'll get the new album before the end of the year.  They are way to creative and vibrant to let five calendar years go by in between albums. Yes I've Got A Feeling!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    JimmyV said:
    If they have decided 2017 is an off year then that decision itself is news that could be reported. Just a simple blurb in the newsletter that says there are no tours planned this year. If they don't know for sure that's one thing, but if they've decided then they can say that. DMB took this year off and told their fans they were taking this year off. It doesn't have to be a secret.
    but we know this band works much differently than other ones. EVERYTHING is a big secret. 

Foo Fighters' announced hiatus was shorter (I believe) than PJ's break between albums/tours. That's hilarious. 
    Maybe the band has actually broken up multiple times  over the last few years and then gotten back together without ever telling us! :scream:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    mr bungle said:
    A recurring feeling every spring the past 4 years now....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    mr bungle said:
    mr bungle said:

Feeling and based on how quiet it's been for the last 7-8 months.  I think they are a lot further along in the recording process than what they have led on.  I really feel we'll get the new album before the end of the year.  They are way to creative and vibrant to let five calendar years go by in between albums. Yes I've Got A Feeling!
    Paraphrasing

Steve Gleason: Its been 4 years between Backspacer and Lightning Bolt...What The Fuck
    Pearl Jam: Laughing
    Stone: I think they're going to keep coming slower
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    mr bungle said:
    Stone and Mike did say there are working on some songs for it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I think if we are hoping for an album by the end of the year, the PR team would be in out in front of it. They had the absolute perfect time of free press at the Hall of Fame to announce something, and go big on it. Album. Tour. 
    I think we can write 2017 off for hopes of substantial amounts of new music. Maybe the annual single will have something new. It's possible for a Q1 release next year and have a lead single out late this year, but please don't hold your breath. 
  • Options
    I think if we are hoping for an album by the end of the year, the PR team would be in out in front of it. They had the absolute perfect time of free press at the Hall of Fame to announce something, and go big on it. Album. Tour. 
    I think we can write 2017 off for hopes of substantial amounts of new music. Maybe the annual single will have something new. It's possible for a Q1 release next year and have a lead single out late this year, but please don't hold your breath. 
    They couldn't get a new album through production by the end of the year even if they wanted to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    yeah, but writing for a record and actually recording can be months, even years, apart. especially with these guys. wasn't lightning bolt two or three recording sessions 18 months apart? and that was after all the songs were written! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    They couldn't get a new album through production by the end of the year even if they wanted to.
    Right. I agree. I think the poster I mentioned was alluding to hopes that it's already completed. I definitely don't see that as the case and I definitely don't want them to rush this next record. Take your time and put out something lasting to the fans. Critical acclaim is probably over, but give us signs of life to the creativity of the band. No more palm muted Ed songs that try to be big anthems. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    yeah, but writing for a record and actually recording can be months, even years, apart. especially with these guys. wasn't lightning bolt two or three recording sessions 18 months apart? and that was after all the songs were written! 
    True. I guess I just figured that if they're willing to talk about it publicly, it will be sooner rather than later... although sooner is probably still mid-late 2018.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    pure utter guess by me but i'd say spring 2018 for album, west coast tour summer/fall 2018, europe late 2018/early 2019, east coast spring/summer 2019.
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    pjhawks said:
    pure utter guess by me but i'd say spring 2018 for album, west coast tour summer/fall 2018, europe late 2018/early 2019, east coast spring/summer 2019.
    This would be my best guess as well. Hopefully we'll get another b-sides record beforehand. The S/T sessions were very productive. I wonder if the e.p. that Mike mentioned a while back wound up as part of LB? If not, then there's more songs. I miss the days of the b-side. :|
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    I guess I don't understand why everyone thinks we are entitled to information (beyond what's told to us in newsletters). like it was said in a few posts, sometimes shit doesn't come to fruition and the fan base holds grudges. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    mr bungle said:
    mr bungle said:

I think they started writing it.   For a while there they were all (except Matt) making appearances around Seattle so you knew they were all in the same City at the same time, which seems kind of rare for them as they all do their own thing in their off time.   Given that Matt was touring, I'm not sure they recorded anything yet, but maybe the songs are written and studio time is in the future?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I guess I don't understand why everyone thinks we are entitled to information (beyond what's told to us in newsletters). like it was said in a few posts, sometimes shit doesn't come to fruition and the fan base holds grudges. 
    It's not about entitlement. I said in my earlier post that if things aren't certain that is a different thing. I don't encourage them AT ALL to announce things that aren't finalized. But, if the band has collectively decided not to tour in 2017, that's a decision that has been finalized and could be announced. DMB does it. Other bands do it. This band traditionally has not. They can continue not to announce such breaks and that's fine, but they aren't beholden to.

My earlier point remains: If the decision has been made for no Pearl Jam shows in 2017, that decision does not need to be a secret. We aren't entitled to know and they aren't required to tell us. That doesn't change the fact that such a decision is news and they could tell us.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I would like more info. Key word 'like'. The club doesn't 'owe' me anything. Don't lump me in a category like that please. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    This conversation is quickly heading towards, "BRING BACK THE RUMOR PIT!!"

Ah. Those were the days. 
  • Options
    All I posted was that it would be nice to get some news.  How do you extrapolate that into entitlement?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185
    JimmyV said:
    It's not about entitlement. I said in my earlier post that if things aren't certain that is a different thing. I don't encourage them AT ALL to announce things that aren't finalized. But, if the band has collectively decided not to tour in 2017, that's a decision that has been finalized and could be announced. DMB does it. Other bands do it. This band traditionally has not. They can continue not to announce such breaks and that's fine, but they aren't beholden to.

My earlier point remains: If the decision has been made for no Pearl Jam shows in 2017, that decision does not need to be a secret. We aren't entitled to know and they aren't required to tell us. That doesn't change the fact that such a decision is news and they could tell us.
    Maybe they're not 100% certain on anything and want to keep options open. If they say "no shows" then an opportunity presents itself they wouldn't want to go back on that.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    All I posted was that it would be nice to get some news.  How do you extrapolate that into entitlement?

• Options
    does no one else think it might be weird for a band to announce to their fans what they AREN'T doing, though?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legs said:
    I know what he was getting at. Clearly #covfefe is to blame here.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    does no one else think it might be weird for a band to announce to their fans what they AREN'T doing, though?
    Not really. The fanbase is huge, passionate and travels the world. The band and its management know that. A blurb in its monthly newsletter that there will be no shows in 2017 doesn't seem weird to me at all.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    I know what he was getting at. Clearly #covfefe is to blame here.
    Make America Covfefe Again!

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    edited May 2017
    on2legs said:
    I didn't. It was the vibe of some posts that came after your first post. 
    HughFreakingDillon said:

Yes. And that's what I was trying to get at rather than calling people entitled. (it was a soft entitlement, not the hard entitlement that, rightfully, gets thrown around). They don't need to say anything. Clearly they aren't touring until they are. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,485
    If I could create a timeline (selfishly), here is what I would do....

Ed finishes his tour
    Couple weeks for the band to work solo
    Then a couple of weeks in the studio for the band
    Ed does some September shows
    Band back in studio after that, prob Nov-Dec. 
    Spring 18 release of album
    Tour dates, 2 legs, next summer and fall. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    I'm good with this