Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Do we want then to create a new industry? I would think we want them all to simply improve the working conditions and increase pay to fair levels in those factories they already have in those countries. If they just shut down and pull out all those workers are fucked.
    Well...yes, ideally we would improve the working lives over there, but...ain't gonna happen lol

The problem (as I remember from what I  read a few years ago in an article) is that it's a supply side issue even for the clothing manufacturers.  Ethic-minded companies like Patagonia aren't major textile producers, they buy materials and manufacture them into clothing, and their suppliers are shady fucks rooted in the sweat shop/toxic waste dump mentality.

Why wouldn't that happen? It's not an unprecedented thing at all. Of course it does take some combo of consumer awareness, government regulation and law (ideally in the nations where the work is being done), corporate responsibility in terms of ethical manufacturing, and/or workers' demands for rights. None of those things are impossible. Obviously they aren't possible in the short term, but issues like this are never handled in the short term.
    it's not very likely that any company, never mind an industry as a whole, is going to try to strong arm another nation into paying their workers better wages so they can charge more for their goods. 

people say they care until they have to pay $30 for a pair of socks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Do we want then to create a new industry? I would think we want them all to simply improve the working conditions and increase pay to fair levels in those factories they already have in those countries. If they just shut down and pull out all those workers are fucked.
    Well...yes, ideally we would improve the working lives over there, but...ain't gonna happen lol

The problem (as I remember from what I  read a few years ago in an article) is that it's a supply side issue even for the clothing manufacturers.  Ethic-minded companies like Patagonia aren't major textile producers, they buy materials and manufacture them into clothing, and their suppliers are shady fucks rooted in the sweat shop/toxic waste dump mentality.

Why wouldn't that happen? It's not an unprecedented thing at all. Of course it does take some combo of consumer awareness, government regulation and law (ideally in the nations where the work is being done), corporate responsibility in terms of ethical manufacturing, and/or workers' demands for rights. None of those things are impossible. Obviously they aren't possible in the short term, but issues like this are never handled in the short term.
    it's not very likely that any company, never mind an industry as a whole, is going to try to strong arm another nation into paying their workers better wages so they can charge more for their goods. 

That’s what trade agreements between nations are for.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    rgambs said:
    It's really a major bummer that high performance fabrics are almost solely produced in 3rd world conditions.  If you are into fitness, hunting, backpacking, etc you are out of luck when it comes to avoiding sweatshop labor in the supply chain.  Patagonia and North Face have been slowly working to make changes, but they can't just create an entire manufacturing industry overnight.
    I always assumed most of that stuff came from a 3rd world sweatshop.  But forced labour should never be OK.  But I really have no idea what goes on in those sweatshops that don't use forced labour.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, $30 would be a stretch for most of us for sure.  But I spend much more on socks than I used to .   I spend about $12 per pair of socks- a little over $16 Canadian.  I used to buy cheap socks at K-Mart and then I came across Eurochoice Socks.  These are far more comfortable, they stay up without cutting off my circulation and they last a lot longer than cheap shit socks.  In the long run, I am happier, more comfortable and probably don't spend any more money in the long run.

Durable goods makes more sense in many ways.  I don't understand why this concept is so rarely talked about. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, $30 would be a stretch for most of us for sure.  But I spend much more on socks than I used to .   I spend about $12 per pair of socks- a little over $16 Canadian.  I used to buy cheap socks at K-Mart and then I came across Eurochoice Socks.  These are far more comfortable, they stay up without cutting off my circulation and they last a lot longer than cheap shit socks.  In the long run, I am happier, more comfortable and probably don't spend any more money in the long run.

Durable goods makes more sense in many ways.  I don't understand why this concept is so rarely talked about. 

because in our ADD culture, people think "HEY! LOOK AT THAT PRICE! I CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO BUY THEM!", but they don't think that spending that extra amount on the extra quality will save them in the long run. and companies don't want you to buy higher quality either. they make much more money on cheap goods you have to keep rebuying over and over again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm currently in the 3rd year with my Duluth trading company socks, 16-20 Us a pair.  They fit perfectly and are wearing very well.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Well, since were on the topic of socks .... I go with Smartwool socks. They are comfortable, long wearing, spiffy, and they make my toes smarter.  

They start from about $22 a pair but go up in price, depending on the purpose (hiking, cold weather sports, etc). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Well, since were on the topic of socks .... I go with Smartwool socks. They are comfortable, long wearing, spiffy, and they make my toes smarter.  

They start from about $22 a pair but go up in price, depending on the purpose (hiking, cold weather sports, etc). 
    We moved away from Smartwool to Darn Tough.
    They are even better, cheaper, and they are lifetime guaranteed!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

I’ll have to see if I can even get those. I’ve never seen them. 

My feet need to be smart, though, darn it. 
    rgambs said:

My Grandma always used to say, "Smart feet are a great start, but when it gets rough you need your feet to be tough"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Wait so now it’s onto who makes the best shoes that’s not even debatable Italy in number 1 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

Pffft!

You all with your tough-talkin' socks and smart feet.  Wake me up when "Really Fucking Durable" hits the market.
  • So I got the bill from the hospital for my appendicitis surgery :( 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    So I got the bill from the hospital for my appendicitis surgery :( 
    I hope it’s not to bad but at least your ok 
    Not even close America is not the greatest it voted for a fucking Moron and he will get to enjoy his retirement while the population eats dirt ...
    edited December 2018

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

My Grandma always used to say, "Smart feet are a great start, but when it gets rough you need your feet to be tough"
    I wish I could wear wool.  Wool on my skin is like a hair-shirt.  Wool on my feet is torture!  No can do!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Socks? Flip flops year round for me.
    Smelly’s showing off. 
    Smelly’s showing off. 
    humble brag
    Smellyman said:
    Socks? Flip flops year round for me.
    Nice.  That's living the good life.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    If I wore flip flops all the time I would feel like I was in a perpetual state of preparing to take a shower at a swimming pool or camp ground.  :lol:

Now regarding socks, the downfall of America followed closely on the heals of the demise of the racing stripe socks.  I used to wear them back in middle school in the early to mid sixties.  These were white socks with two bands of racing stripes across the top of the metatarsals.  You couldn't see the stripes when wearing sneakers, but that was the point.  Subtlety.  No one knew you were cool, but you knew you were cool. 

Now days, if you mention striped sock, you think of this, right?:

See what I mean?  No subtlety whatsoever.  The downfall of America!

Make America Great again:  Bring back the hidden racing stripes socks!

I am sure this could be any one of us back in the day.

• Smellyman said:

HA!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    Smellyman said:

HA!
    Yeah, only I think he meant this, right Smellyman?

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    edited December 2018
    What were the red translucent skateboard wheels that were all the rage back in the day? And the trucks? I had size 2 in the front and 4s in the back on a wood skateboard my brother made in wood shop. And skippies on my feet with “striped” socks.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I wish I could wear wool.  Wool on my skin is like a hair-shirt.  Wool on my feet is torture!  No can do!
    Are you allergic or just sensitive?  If it's just sensitivity, have you tried Merino wool blends?  It's nothing like the stiff scratchy wool of yesteryear.
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Are you allergic or just sensitive?  If it's just sensitivity, have you tried Merino wool blends?  It's nothing like the stiff scratchy wool of yesteryear.
    Not sure why wool drives me itchy but it hardly ever gets cold enough to need wool here anymore so I'll probably not need it.  Maybe for hiking socks though.  Might have to check that out, thanks.

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    This thread has really taken a nice turn, I hope everyone has some comfortable socks on :) 
  • Annafalk said:
    This thread has really taken a nice turn, I hope everyone has some comfortable socks on :) 
    You are right. Let’s get it back on track: the US sucks.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Everywhere  sucks
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
This discussion has been closed.