Poll--The Weakest Link: Backspacer Round 3

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,128
    Force Of Nature
    MedozK said:
    Kinda like everyone's love for Got Some... I really just don't like it, I have voted for it since Round 1.
    One man's Parachutes is another man's Given to Fly.
    ;)

That is what makes these threads a lot of fun.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Got Some
    MedozK said:
    Kinda like everyone's love for Got Some... I really just don't like it, I have voted for it since Round 1.
    It got a little bit overplayed during the LB tour. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Amongst The Waves
    Never really liked ATW much nor had any interest in hearing it live, but I guess it's going to the final, which makes my choice pretty easy next round. Would have gladly swapped out ATW for FON or Got Some. Still think Got Some is the best on this record. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Unthought Known
    Force of Nature for the win!
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Just Breathe
    rgambs said:
    Well it looks like two middle of the road greatest hits songs are headed for the final again. These pollls are just disappointing now. Let me guess Lightning Bolt and Sirens are going the distance for the LB poll. Not because they are that good on the album(though it should be noted LB live is a good fucking time) but because people are picking based on favorite dedication or memory, etc. not quality of song. 
    What's your pick for the final?  
    The harsh words you have had for some of their greatest and most well loved songs makes me think you just have unique taste or are a "hater".
    My pick for the final would be Force of Nature and Got Some.
    As for the other, greatest is subjective and I don't get the overwhelming love for some of those songs. Some are a good time at the shows but others I could really do without(looking at you Just Breathe and Sirens). I also find it slightly humourous that when I state an honest opinion on songs I'm a "hater" but when you do it is just the truth.
    We have been asked what the best songs are on the albums, I don't happen to think the choices are the best and with some not even close to the best. 
    I think Force of Nature should win, but I think Got Some is the very definition of middle of the road.

I have stated support for songs, I have critiqued songs, and I have stated a lack of understanding for other people's disparaging remarks about songs, but I haven't trashed on anything the way I keep seeing.  It's definitely all subjective, but calling songs terrible and so forth is definitely hatin, particularly with universally appreciated songs like Immortality lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Just Breathe
    Love it - but gets too much attention.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Got Some
    Force of Nature for the win!
    Would love to see Force of Nature win, but sadly, it doesn't look like it will. :(
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Just Breathe
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Well it looks like two middle of the road greatest hits songs are headed for the final again. These pollls are just disappointing now. Let me guess Lightning Bolt and Sirens are going the distance for the LB poll. Not because they are that good on the album(though it should be noted LB live is a good fucking time) but because people are picking based on favorite dedication or memory, etc. not quality of song. 
    The harsh words you have had for some of their greatest and most well loved songs makes me think you just have unique taste or are a "hater".
    As for the other, greatest is subjective and I don't get the overwhelming love for some of those songs. Some are a good time at the shows but others I could really do without(looking at you Just Breathe and Sirens). I also find it slightly humourous that when I state an honest opinion on songs I'm a "hater" but when you do it is just the truth.
    We have been asked what the best songs are on the albums, I don't happen to think the choices are the best and with some not even close to the best. 
    I think Force of Nature should win, but I think Got Some is the very definition of middle of the road.

I have stated support for songs, I have critiqued songs, and I have stated a lack of understanding for other people's disparaging remarks about songs, but I haven't trashed on anything the way I keep seeing.  It's definitely all subjective, but calling songs terrible and so forth is definitely hatin, particularly with universally appreciated songs like Immortality lol
    Immortality is and always will be the weakest on that record for me outside of the "filler" songs(which doesn't include Bugs for me). I will also admit I don't know if hate is the right word but I would say detest is a good one for Sirens and I def could do without Just Breathe. But those songs just give me a chance to take some pics and share with my friends who can't be there. And maybe I do like the fringe songs more than most, but someone has to.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    Unthought Known
    Got Some is the my favorite on this record...looks like not the favorite of the group!
    It's my fave on the album too. Admittedly, that isn't saying all that much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Just Breathe
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Immortality is and always will be the weakest on that record for me outside of the "filler" songs(which doesn't include Bugs for me). I will also admit I don't know if hate is the right word but I would say detest is a good one for Sirens and I def could do without Just Breathe. But those songs just give me a chance to take some pics and share with my friends who can't be there. And maybe I do like the fringe songs more than most, but someone has to.
    Art is subjective, but there are some very loose objective standards in music.
    You can prefer whatever you like, but you can't expect anyone to take your opinion seriously if you say that Immortality is a weaker musical composition than Bugs lol
    Unthought Known
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

You can prefer whatever you like, but you can't expect anyone to take your opinion seriously if you say that Immortality is a weaker musical composition than Bugs lol
    I think it's a very valid opinion. I think Bugs is hugely underrated as a musical piece of art, and I also think it's better than Immortality, warts and all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Just Breathe
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I think it's a very valid opinion. I think Bugs is hugely underrated as a musical piece of art, and I also think it's better than Immortality, warts and all.
    Listen to the woman, she knows what she is talking about. =)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Just Breathe
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Hahaha that's just ridiculous!
    Just Breathe
    No offense meant to either of you, don't take the personally, but that's just plain ridiculous lol
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Amongst The Waves
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Bugs?! Ya'll are crazy! It's an interesting song, but man, I can melt in to a song like immortality and connect with it to the core. Bugs, sure I'll sing along, but it's all surface. We're all so different :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Unthought Known
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

stop with the edibles. they are clearly having an adverse effect. :lol:

www.headstonesband.com

edited May 2017
    Unthought Known
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Bugs is more creative and interesting than Immortality, and is more clever too. That is why I think it's better. It's not a ridiculous opinion. Also, I don't do edibles anymore. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Unthought Known
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Bugs?! Ya'll are crazy! It's an interesting song, but man, I can melt in to a song like immortality and connect with it to the core. Bugs, sure I'll sing along, but it's all surface. We're all so different :)
    Wow, I think Bugs is the opposite of surface. There are so many meanings that one can read into it!
    edited May 2017
    Just Breathe
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Bugs is more creative and interesting than Immortality, and is more clever too. That is why I think it's better. It's not a ridiculous opinion. Also, I don't do edibles anymore. ;)
    It's neither more creative, nor is it more clever.  
    More unique, absolutely.

The first half of the song is a list of random places where bugs are.  It gets better from there and it certainly has artistic value lyrically, moreso than some other songs, but the music is an afterthought.  When someone picks up an instrument they don't know how to play and makes repetitive discordant sounds, it's pretty hard to call it music at all.  Bugs is more of a spoken word poem than a song.
    Even lyrically, it falls well short of Immortality, which is like Eliot or Joyce in it's depth, nuance, and skill.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Just Breathe
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Wow, I think Bugs is the opposite of surface. There are so many meanings that one can read into it!
    Haha I think you mean that Immortality has so many meanings, not Bugs.  Bugs is a narrative, and it leaves little open to interpretation, aside from what undesirables are represented by "bugs".
    Unthought Known
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

It's neither more creative, nor is it more clever.  
    More unique, absolutely.

The first half of the song is a list of random places where bugs are.  It gets better from there and it certainly has artistic value lyrically, moreso than some other songs, but the music is an afterthought.  When someone picks up an instrument they don't know how to play and makes repetitive discordant sounds, it's pretty hard to call it music at all.  Bugs is more of a spoken word poem than a song.
    Even lyrically, it falls well short of Immortality, which is like Eliot or Joyce in it's depth, nuance, and skill.
    Well these are options, not facts, right? Yes, in my opinion, it is indeed more creative and clever. I completely disagree that the first half of the song is just a list of random places where bugs are. I read WAY more into all the lyrics than you do, obviously. I really connect with the lyrics - I find them to be super multi-layered, and to this day I keep having new ideas about what they could mean. I also totally disagree that it is spoken word, but is creeping up to that I guess. Definitely a song though, not a poem. Finally, I don't consider the music an afterthought at all. I think it was very deliberately crafted, and while the skill level on the main instrument isn't high, the way the music combines with the lyrics and the tone and the meaning of the song is absolutely perfect, and I think that matter more than skill levels on a instrument or the 'prettiness' of the sound of the music. I don't think it could have been done any better in the context of the piece. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I am obviously well aware that I am in a small minority on this one, since almost everyone writes this song off as "filler" (something that I don't even think exists on Vitalogy... oh, and really like Foxy Mod too, lol). But it is still a perfectly valid opinion that I find very easy to justify. Immortality is good. The lyrics are good. I have no issue with Immortality. But Bugs means more to me and has had a way more lasting impact than Immortality. I think it was basically the first experimental song I was ever exposed to, actually, and it pleased me!

I did not, however, feel an abundance of appreciation for how Eddie performed it live at Wrigley. He got goofy with it, and it detracted from the impact of the song greatly. I did think it was funny, but it didn't actually do anything for me. But the studio version is cool in my books!
    Just Breathe
    I don't hate Bugs at all, but everything that it did, Rats did a go-zillion times better.
    edited May 2017
    Unthought Known
    rgambs said:
    I don't hate Bugs at all, but everything that it did, Rats did a go-zillion times better.
    I don't think Rats and Bugs have a similar meaning or tone or feel at all. Not even remotely. I don't really understand why one might remind you of the other. I do really like Rats though.
    Just Breathe
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't think Rats and Bugs have a similar meaning or tone or feel at all. Not even remotely. I don't really understand why one might remind you of the other. I do really like Rats though.
    I don't see how you couldn't see the similarity! LOL
    They are both pretty obviously about mankind and specific examples of mankind failing to meet expectations.  With Rats, it is clear that he is questioning the value of humans in comparison and relation to vermin, Bugs is a little more subtle in that he uses vermin as a symbol of what he sees in humanity that he does not like.  In both cases, he is making a clear statement that our concept of how great we are is questionable and he's using vermin to do so.

The tone is definitely different, but the ideas aren't so different.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    Force Of Nature
    bugs better than immortality?!  Now I've heard it all. lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Unthought Known
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't see how you couldn't see the similarity! LOL
    They are both pretty obviously about mankind and specific examples of mankind failing to meet expectations.  With Rats, it is clear that he is questioning the value of humans in comparison and relation to vermin, Bugs is a little more subtle in that he uses vermin as a symbol of what he sees in humanity that he does not like.  In both cases, he is making a clear statement that our concept of how great we are is questionable and he's using vermin to do so.

The tone is definitely different, but the ideas aren't so different.
    I definitely don't think Bugs is about mankind failing to meet expectations.
  • Unthought Known
    I always assumed Bugs was about fame. 

www.headstonesband.com

edited May 2017
    Unthought Known
    That is why I like Bugs so much. It is so wide open to different, super interesting interpretations (with the many different ideas I've had about it, the theme of mankind failing to meet expectations isn't one of them, even upon reflection ... but if rgambs thinks that, fair enough).
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself Posts: 8,818
    Amongst The Waves
    I guess we got bored talking about backspacer. Lol

ive enjoyed reading both perspectives about bugs and rats
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • Unthought Known
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is why I like Bugs so much. It is so wide open to different, super interesting interpretations (with the many different ideas I've had about it, the theme of mankind failing to meet expectations isn't one of them, even upon reflection ... but if rgambs thinks that, fair enough).
    i just hate accordian., I guess it's what fits the song, but I love the guitar version from, when was that, Amsterdam 2012? 

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.