Poll--The Weakest Link: Backspacer Round 3

Comments

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Got Some
    When this poll for Backspacer started my first vote was going to be for either Johnny Guitar or Force of Nature. I decided that I'd listen to them both before voting. Oddly enough, I've yet to vote for Force of Nature. It's really not too bad at all (but I won't vote for it to win).
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Amongst The Waves
    Force of Nature has a cool sound to the guitars and a cool vibe. I dig it a lot. 
    Agree. I really like that one. Much better than ATW.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Amongst The Waves
    I think the chorus of Force of Nature, with Marker in the Sand and Infallible, stands with the strongest and catchiest in the later albums. 
    Yep, definitely one of the stronger entries and a nice late album gem. Probably my second favorite behind Got Some.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • rylanrylan Posts: 230
    Got Some
    Force of Nature is great, probably will never get to hear it live unfortunately 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453
    Force Of Nature
    I think the chorus of Force of Nature, with Marker in the Sand and Infallible, stands with the strongest and catchiest in the later albums. 
    Infallible is a song that should be banished never to be heard from again, let alone being described with the word catchiest.
    Infallible is the best on Lightning Bolt! And then Pendulum. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Unthought Known
    Unthought known is so damn overrated.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,732
    Got Some
    In which the differing opinions of Pearl Jam fans is revealed.  Kinda cool though, isn't it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• javis el errantejavis el errante Posts: 6,136
    Just Breathe
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    Neither Unthought Known nor Force Of Nature should survive this round but both probably will.
    It seems that a fair number of people think Unthought Known is some kind of PJ masterpiece. Go figure!
    it's a good song, not a masterpiece, Force of Nature is, I still don't understand how people don't see that... 
    I votetd for just breathe, I love it, but I prefer the others, just breath is too mellow, I like my songs with volts and my lyrics out loud...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,627
    Force Of Nature
    so far the Backspacer poll is going about how I expected
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Just Breathe
    its time u got voted out!!survivors ready?go!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Force Of Nature
    hardest vote since No Code...
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Just Breathe
    Looks like it's going to be Unthought Known vs. Amongst The Waves in the finals. That will be a very tough call. Both sound really good in the set lists. Musically, I'd have to go with ATW, even though I do enjoy UK. "Gems and Rhinestones!!" is a little cheesy, but a cool moment, nonetheless. Just like Inside Job.. ;)  Ooh..they could end up duking it out, if we go in studio album order..  :D
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Force Of Nature
    Infallible is a song that should be banished never to be heard from again, let alone being described with the word catchiest.
    I don't quite understand the lovefest for Infallible, either.  It's a decent song, but that's all it is.
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Got Some
    I don't quite understand the lovefest for Infallible, either.  It's a decent song, but that's all it is.
    It's my favorite on the album.
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Posts: 278
    Amongst The Waves
    While I like the song a lot, in comparison to the remaining group it's the most linear (save for the solo) to my ears. Love the Weakest Link. I'll be genuinely sad when it's all over.   
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Just Breathe
    Force Of Nature is probably my favorite from BS. It just never really grew legs live. If they would slow it down a touch, then Ed could probably find a great pocket to ride in and the song would be awesome. There's a ton of lyrics in that song. FON and Infallible are chances that they've taken with the writing that really have paid off for me. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Just Breathe
    Force of Nature is the runaway best song on this album
    This!
    For the love how is Just Breathe still around, can we please get rid of this mewling crap.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just Breathe
    lets try this yet again.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Force Of Nature
    Shocked at the number of votes Got Some is getting... certainly dont think it is the best on this album, but no way it is the worst in this group either...
  • RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 Posts: 210
    Got Some
    Loving the support for Force of Nature! My fave as well, doubt it will win though. If The End has gone so should Just Breathe for me.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    Amongst The Waves
    KP278376 said:
    Shocked at the number of votes Got Some is getting... certainly dont think it is the best on this album, but no way it is the worst in this group either...
    The same should be said for your pick.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself Posts: 8,818
    Amongst The Waves
    While I like the song a lot, in comparison to the remaining group it's the most linear (save for the solo) to my ears. Love the Weakest Link. I'll be genuinely sad when it's all over.   
    Linear is a good word to describe atw. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Force Of Nature
    Force of Nature bleh, very forgettable mid tempo song
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    Got Some
    rylan said:
    Force of Nature is great, probably will never get to hear it live unfortunately 
    I didn't realize it was so rare, makes me feel especially lucky to see it in Cleveland!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
    Just Breathe
    Well it looks like two middle of the road greatest hits songs are headed for the final again. These pollls are just disappointing now. Let me guess Lightning Bolt and Sirens are going the distance for the LB poll. Not because they are that good on the album(though it should be noted LB live is a good fucking time) but because people are picking based on favorite dedication or memory, etc. not quality of song. 

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,128
    Force Of Nature
    Got Some is the my favorite on this record...looks like not the favorite of the group!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Just Breathe
    Well it looks like two middle of the road greatest hits songs are headed for the final again. These pollls are just disappointing now. Let me guess Lightning Bolt and Sirens are going the distance for the LB poll. Not because they are that good on the album(though it should be noted LB live is a good fucking time) but because people are picking based on favorite dedication or memory, etc. not quality of song. 
    What's your pick for the final?  
    The harsh words you have had for some of their greatest and most well loved songs makes me think you just have unique taste or are a "hater".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself Posts: 8,818
    Amongst The Waves
    Got Some is the my favorite on this record...looks like not the favorite of the group!
    Got some is my favorite too!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    Just Breathe
    rgambs said:
    What's your pick for the final?  
    The harsh words you have had for some of their greatest and most well loved songs makes me think you just have unique taste or are a "hater".
    My pick for the final would be Force of Nature and Got Some.
    As for the other, greatest is subjective and I don't get the overwhelming love for some of those songs. Some are a good time at the shows but others I could really do without(looking at you Just Breathe and Sirens). I also find it slightly humourous that when I state an honest opinion on songs I'm a "hater" but when you do it is just the truth.
    We have been asked what the best songs are on the albums, I don't happen to think the choices are the best and with some not even close to the best. 

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Got Some
    Kinda like everyone's love for Got Some... I really just don't like it, I have voted for it since Round 1.
This discussion has been closed.