Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

* Do any Trump supporters even come to this thread anymore? It's become a piling on thread. I'm okay with it, but I wish those fools would appear every now and detail their mindset so we can at least gauge people's commitment to stupidity or their learning process as they acknowledge their error. 
    I am a Republican voter.  Why would I appear here and participate in this conversation if you believe I'm a "fool" before you've heard me out? This is the problem of this thread.  I live in a strong conservative community where many share the same beliefs.  I come here to lurk and read the views of those that don't think like me.  
    I would never join this debate on this forum.  Your opinion is already developed... 

This sounds to me like a euphemistic expression of a lack of confidence in the strength of your arguments.

Wrong.  But again, my opinions are discounted before having heard them.  
    Well, it's not like this is the Breitbart forum ;). You may get some very lively responses and be in the minority, but that could be any thread in the AMT. I'm pretty sure none of us on here 100% agree on any topic. I don't agree with everything said in any forum topic and will state my position and view even though it may not be popular or accepted. I don't speak my opinions with the intent of making someone else agree with me, but I do hope it offers a different perspective that maybe wasn't considered. I am actually more interested in the response I get regarding my opinion or line of thinking because it exposes it to critical review, which benefits everyone involved.

There's a lot be said for infiltrating the echo chamber that is BB.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    hurricanezekehurricanezeke Posts: 177
    edited October 2021
    the thing is, many democrats also support many of those agendas, but in a sensible, bipartisan manner. Obama himself has said ACA needs improvement. everyone knows immigration reform is needed. not this "let's gut all of Obama's policies no matter the cost" that Trump is trying to bash through. it's clear all he cares about is dismantling Obama's legacy, and calling that his own. he is a brutal failure already, and it's not going to get better. 

Post edited by hurricanezeke on
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    rgambs said:

* Do any Trump supporters even come to this thread anymore? It's become a piling on thread. I'm okay with it, but I wish those fools would appear every now and detail their mindset so we can at least gauge people's commitment to stupidity or their learning process as they acknowledge their error. 
    I am a Republican voter.  Why would I appear here and participate in this conversation if you believe I'm a "fool" before you've heard me out? This is the problem of this thread.  I live in a strong conservative community where many share the same beliefs.  I come here to lurk and read the views of those that don't think like me.  
    I would never join this debate on this forum.  Your opinion is already developed... 

This sounds to me like a euphemistic expression of a lack of confidence in the strength of your arguments.

Let's hear them.  I'm a roast, baste me.
    I'd  like to hear them as well.
    I'm interested in having a voter/supporter of his come on here and defend him and his words and behaviors in a clear, concise, and cogent manner. 
    Not as a troll
    I should have been more clear when putting myself out here.  I stated I am a republican voter.  I'm not the guy that defends Trump's every move.  Those are the people I think you're looking for.  I'm not that person.  So I'm not going to defend a lot of what is taking place.  I can't, I won't.  What has transpired is far from my hopes of a Trump presidency. Outside of my 401(k) growth, not a whole lot has been accomplished that I can be proud of.  I did NOT vote for Trump in the primaries.  I did not think he was a serious candidate.  

I won't go line by line how I feel about all the issues, but I still support much of the republican agenda.  Specifically replacement of the ACA, immigration reform, social program and welfare stability (not growth), among others.  Given my feelings on the issues, I would not have voted democrat in the 2016 election.  

Thanks for your well thought out response.
    This is an example of what we need more of on here.
    Yes this is the fan forum of a very left leaning, liberal, democrat supporting band. But differing opinions, when they are thoughtfully and intelligently presented, are always welcome.
    As far I know, and other than my own increasing 401K, nothing has been accomplished by the currently elected president (and I wont give him credit for that either) beyond creating more divisiveness among Americans.
  • Options
    I should have been more clear when putting myself out here.  I stated I am a republican voter.  I'm not the guy that defends Trump's every move.  Those are 

Thanks for your well thought out response.
    This is an example of what we need more of on here.
    Yes this is the fan forum of a very left leaning, liberal, democrat supporting band. But differing opinions, when they are thoughtfully and intelligently presented, are always welcome.
    As far I know, and other than my own increasing 401K, nothing has been accomplished by the currently elected president (and I wont give him credit for that either) beyond creating more divisiveness among Americans.
    Yeah, let's say accomplishments "since the election in November" without giving credit.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I'm interested in having a voter/supporter of his come on here and defend him and his words and behaviors in a clear, concise, and cogent manner. 
    Not as a troll
    I should have been more clear when putting myself out here.  I stated I am a republican voter.  I'm not the guy that defends Trump's every move.  Those are the people I think you're looking for.  I'm not that person.  So I'm not going to defend a lot of what is taking place.  I can't, I won't.  What has transpired is far from my hopes of a Trump presidency. Outside of my 401(k) growth, not a whole lot has been accomplished that I can be proud of.  I did NOT vote for Trump in the primaries.  I did not think he was a serious candidate.  

I won't go line by line how I feel about all the issues, but I still support much of the republican agenda.  Specifically replacement of the ACA, immigration reform, social program and welfare stability (not growth), among others.  Given my feelings on the issues, I would not have voted democrat in the 2016 election.  

Thanks for this reply. 

So, you're saying that, given what you know now, you still wouldn't have voted democrat in the last election. Would you have voted for trump, or someone else, or not voted?
    I hate to say, but I likely would have not voted, which would have been a first for me.  And hopefully the last.  

When I became an eligible voter I never would have imagined there would be a time in which I had trouble supporting either party's candidate.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    rgambs said:

Not as a troll

Thanks for this reply. 

So, you're saying that, given what you know now, you still wouldn't have voted democrat in the last election. Would you have voted for trump, or someone else, or not voted?
    I hate to say, but I likely would have not voted, which would have been a first for me.  And hopefully the last.  

When I became an eligible voter I never would have imagined there would be a time in which I had trouble supporting either party's candidate.  
    it's becoming more and more difficult to tell the difference between the two candidates, Democrat and Republican.

if Hilliary was the GOP nominee would you have voted for her?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Not as a troll

This is a good comment. Really good actually.

It seems to me that perhaps you might have been let down by your Republican party. You might have spoiled your ballot or not voted at all given the alternative of supporting the orange one.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    Trump isn't a Republican.  I think we should all be able to dispel that notion.  His stance on trade alone makes eliminates him from that territory.  Trump is a Trumpist.  It's a low grade cult of whatever decision leads to the ability to declare victory, regardless of the principle.  I just don't understand how the lemmings fall in step at every turn.  No matter what he says, they support it.  It's really astounding.  And I'm not saying Trump is a Nazi with this statement, but it makes clear how a country like German fell to the forces of evil without a fight back in 33.  There are so many people that will support a person regardless of the position.  We are witnessing it first hand.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    Trump isn't a Republican.  I think we should all be able to dispel that notion.  His stance on trade alone makes eliminates him from that territory.  Trump is a Trumpist.  It's a low grade cult of whatever decision leads to the ability to declare victory, regardless of the principle.  I just don't understand how the lemmings fall in step at every turn.  No matter what he says, they support it.  It's really astounding.  And I'm not saying Trump is a Nazi with this statement, but it makes clear how a country like German fell to the forces of evil without a fight back in 33.  There are so many people that will support a person regardless of the position.  We are witnessing it first hand.  
    Recent polling shows that the vast majority of republicans support Trump but don't support the party. Things evolve, this is now the republican party.

Republicans are signaling they prefer President Donald Trump's vision for the party, with 79% saying he is taking it in the right direction. A majority of GOP voters -- 53% -- believe Republican leaders in Congress are taking the party in the wrong direction.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/24/politics/cnn-poll-republican-party-approval/index.html

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    the thing is, many democrats also support many of those agendas, but in a sensible, bipartisan manner. Obama himself has said ACA needs improvement. everyone knows immigration reform is needed. not this "let's gut all of Obama's policies no matter the cost" that Trump is trying to bash through. it's clear all he cares about is dismantling Obama's legacy, and calling that his own. he is a brutal failure already, and it's not going to get better. 
    Yes I agree completely, but how to reform differs greatly on both sides of the aisle.  We all wish for a "sensible, bipartisan manner", but that isn't happening right now regardless of who is sitting in the oval office.  
    Regarding what you said about 'welfare stability, and not growth', you know the rate of people on public assistance has been dropping for several years now. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Recent polling shows that the vast majority of republicans support Trump but don't support the party. Things evolve, this is now the republican party.

Republicans are signaling they prefer President Donald Trump's vision for the party, with 79% saying he is taking it in the right direction. A majority of GOP voters -- 53% -- believe Republican leaders in Congress are taking the party in the wrong direction.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/24/politics/cnn-poll-republican-party-approval/index.html

I actually think it's the Lemming state.  But maybe not.  Maybe he is the voice of those "Republicans".  The whole thing is scary, to be honest.  It doesn't worry me that the country is so partisan so much as it being linked to race.  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

I actually think it's the Lemming state.  But maybe not.  Maybe he is the voice of those "Republicans".  The whole thing is scary, to be honest.  It doesn't worry me that the country is so partisan so much as it being linked to race.  
    The jingoism is just as scary to me.
    For the first time in my life, I have an insight into how the world wars happened that came from my actual life and not a historical account.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

For the first time in my life, I have an insight into how the world wars happened that came from my actual life and not a historical account.
    True, although jingoism was just a rampant after 9/11, leading up to the war.  Remember the Dixie Chicks and how their career was basically destroyed in country music?  The difference here is the capacity of NK to level a country or even two with their weapons.  Iraq didn't have that capacity.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    rgambs said:
    An island full of Americans without power and water and Trump is tweeting about the NFL.
    Idiot.
    My first thought as well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yes I agree completely, but how to reform differs greatly on both sides of the aisle.  We all wish for a "sensible, bipartisan manner", but that isn't happening right now regardless of who is sitting in the oval office.  
    Regarding what you said about 'welfare stability, and not growth', you know the rate of people on public assistance has been dropping for several years now. 
    Not untrue, but that is short sighted.  There are many forms of public assistance, but let's look at food stamps alone.  
    25M enrolled in 2005
    47M in 2013 (all time high)
    41M in 2016 

Down in 3 years, but nearly doubled 2005-2013.
    $1 TRILLION is spent on PA each year.  

Please don't confuse this with eliminating public programs, or leaving people hungry.  But it's a staggering number and I don't think our systems do enough to lift people out of PA.   
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

True, although jingoism was just a rampant after 9/11, leading up to the war.  Remember the Dixie Chicks and how their career was basically destroyed in country music?  The difference here is the capacity of NK to level a country or even two with their weapons.  Iraq didn't have that capacity.  
    It was, it's been simmering ever since Hulk Hogan played the American flag guitar.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

It was, it's been simmering ever since Hulk Hogan played the American flag guitar.

Most bad things can be traced to the Hulkster and Hulkamania broadly.
  • Options
    Not untrue, but that is short sighted.  There are many forms of public assistance, but let's look at food stamps alone.  
    25M enrolled in 2005
    41M in 2016 

Please don't confuse this with eliminating public programs, or leaving people hungry.  But it's a staggering number and I don't think our systems do enough to lift people out of PA.   
    A good piece of that rise is linked to the recession I imagine.  The timing seems to substantiate that. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    25M enrolled in 2005
    41M in 2016 

A good piece of that rise is linked to the recession I imagine.  The timing seems to substantiate that. 
    Yes, very likely related.  Like many things, it takes longer rebound than it does for something to get bad.  I'd like to know how or if the existing programs were tweaked to help these situations.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    25M enrolled in 2005
    41M in 2016 

Yes, very likely related.  Like many things, it takes longer rebound than it does for something to get bad.  I'd like to know how or if the existing programs were tweaked to help these situations.  
    Yes, according to this document (which is a good read).  It said that the ARRA (remember Obama's bill) allowed able bodied individuals to get up to 18 months of SNAP vs the previous limit of 90 days.  This was due to the high unemployment.  I imagine that provision has expired.  It also discusses other policy changes that affect participation.  But reading this, it further stands to reason that the growth was related to the recession.  
    https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/25626/412613-SNAP-s-Role-in-the-Great-Recession-and-Beyond.PDF
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Most bad things can be traced to the Hulkster and Hulkamania broadly.
    SERIOUSLY??!!
    Now I have to add Hulk Hogan to this list.....

President Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Hillary Clinton
    Kamala Harris
    Comet PIzza
    Emails
    Benghazi
    etc...

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    rgambs said:

Not as a troll

He wasn't.  That's no longer a requirement.  Or even preferred.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

And yet most of the left doesn't think he has a chance to be re-elected. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    25M enrolled in 2005
    41M in 2016 

Yes, according to this document (which is a good read).  It said that the ARRA (remember Obama's bill) allowed able bodied individuals to get up to 18 months of SNAP vs the previous limit of 90 days.  This was due to the high unemployment.  I imagine that provision has expired.  It also discusses other policy changes that affect participation.  But reading this, it further stands to reason that the growth was related to the recession.  
    https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/25626/412613-SNAP-s-Role-in-the-Great-Recession-and-Beyond.PDF
    It was definately due to the recession and wage lag. Most food stamp recipients are on it short term and also work. If the economy goes okay, it'll get to pre-recession levels in five years or so. Another problem is disproportionate high use in nearly every rural red county. It seems like they want to cling to dead economies.                                       

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    All of this and the opposing party is still here:

http://time.com/magazine/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    25M enrolled in 2005
    41M in 2016 

I agree, there’s no reason the federal government should maintain 79 different means-tested programs.  States should combine different forms of federal anti-poverty funding—food stamps, housing assistance, and more—into a single funding stream.  A guaranteed basic income would reduce government and offer citizens more control.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    It's odd that the author is pushing the notion of some hidden welfare spending. All of the info he presents has been in the discussion for a long time. Something he breezed past was the fact that medical care is almost half of means tested welfare spending. Certainly a focus that would help the budget would be reducing medical costs. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    CM189191 said:
    Q: what do you get when you cross an African American, an NFL player and an astronaut?

A: one very angry citizen. 

'To Donald Trump,' by Leland Melvin, former NASA Astronaut and NFL Player
    https://boingboing.net/2017/09/23/lelandmelvin.html
    You have to include the photo of the guy with his dogs because it's awesome.

That's one of the best photos of all time, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited September 2017
    Latest tweet from President Trump folks....

Great solidarity for our National Anthem and for our Country. Standing with locked arms is good, kneeling is not acceptable. Bad ratings! Please to inform that the Champion Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL will be joining me at the White House for Ceremony. Great team!

I wonder why he thinks anyone should give a flying fuck about what this totally unacceptable man thinks is acceptable? Laughable.
    As for the Penguins.... shame on them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJ_Soul said:
    Latest tweet from President Trump folks....

Great solidarity for our National Anthem and for our Country. Standing with locked arms is good, kneeling is not acceptable. Bad ratings! Please to inform that the Champion Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL will be joining me at the White House for Ceremony. Great team!

I wonder why he thinks anyone should give a flying fuck about what this totally unacceptable man thinks is acceptable? Laughable.
    As for the Penguins.... shame on them.
    seems to be extreme narcissism. I really think he believes all americans are his subjects. 

just once, I want him to fuck up and utter the "n" word in public or within ear shot. that would be glorious. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.