edited August 2017
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Tiki said:
    It's time to take the keys away from grandpa.
    the sad part is that the keys were given to him in the first place. 
    Hopefully, the generals changed the nuclear code.
    bigger question, lets say tomorrow trump in a rant decides to launch N-bombs into No korea or anywhere else.  do you think any general would say no? 
    Great question. My heart says yes, but my brain says no. 
    This is why i think  it is so important to get Trump out of office right away.  cause my brain says the same thing
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Tiki said:
    It's time to take the keys away from grandpa.
    the sad part is that the keys were given to him in the first place. 
    Hopefully, the generals changed the nuclear code.
    bigger question, lets say tomorrow trump in a rant decides to launch N-bombs into No korea or anywhere else.  do you think any general would say no? 
    Great question. My heart says yes, but my brain says no. 
    This is why i think  it is so important to get Trump out of office right away.  cause my brain says the same thing
    The generals can't say no anyhow. The decision is completely up to Trump and his Secretary of Defense.... and even if the Secretary of Defense says no, Trump could fire him and do it anyway.... which totally sounds like something Trump would do, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    as much as I feared he would do something like that, I don't think he will. if he faces strict opposition from his entire military team and advisers, he won't do it. I would certainly hope that even a dope like him recognizes how serious nuclear war is. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    as much as I feared he would do something like that, I don't think he will. if he faces strict opposition from his entire military team and advisers, he won't do it. I would certainly hope that even a dope like him recognizes how serious nuclear war is. 
    I agree. All that North Korea bluster was just more crap spewing out of his stupid face. There is no reasonable long-term plan that would include nuking them, and while I'm sure he is just DYING to press the big shiny red button like the moronic simpleton with no self control that he is, there are enough people involved who know that diplomacy is really the only viable solution (barring N. Korea nuking the US first) that he is likely to listen to them at the end of the day. Though sadly, I think his motivation in listening to such advice would be all about wanting to spare himself the headache than it would be to spare the world a nuclear war.

(FWIW, if the NK nutcase goes more nuts first and does nuke US territory, then I suppose I figure the only possible response would be for the US to completely destroy N. Korea immediately, civilians be damned. Shitty, but what would the other option be? But anyway, I think Kim Jong Un knows that too, which is why I don't think he would make that move anyway)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I always wondered if presidents held military might back? In other words, I was wondering if military officials had historically been more eager than presidents to exercise clout.

I that is the case... it's the perfect storm.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,655
    I don't think there is one general who would "like" to go to war with Trump as CIC. Except maybe Senator Tom "I'm a Warrior, Hear Me Roar" Cotton but he's not a general.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I don't think there is one general who would "like" to go to war with Trump as CIC. Except maybe Senator Tom "I'm a Warrior, Hear Me Roar" Cotton but he's not a general.
    For sure. I get the strong sense that all the US military leaders think Trump is a complete doofus, just like the rest of us do. I doubt they'd want to start anything serious with him at the helm. Trump would put all of their men at risk on a regular basis. You just KNOW Trump would end up divulging sensitive military intel during his many Twitter meltdowns, putting US soldiers at risk.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    For sure. I get the strong sense that all the US military leaders think Trump is a complete doofus, just like the rest of us do. I doubt they'd want to start anything serious with him at the helm. Trump would put all of their men at risk on a regular basis. You just KNOW Trump would end up divulging sensitive military intel during his many Twitter meltdowns, putting US soldiers at risk.
    You guys are giving military brass a lot of credit here. Throughout history, the risk of US soldiers has never been too much of a concern for those safely removed from the enemy.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    You guys are giving military brass a lot of credit here. Throughout history, the risk of US soldiers has never been too much of a concern for those safely removed from the enemy.
    Yep, and hammers tend to see all problems as nails.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    PJ_Soul said:
    nor has it been the concern of draft dodgers....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    The risk of US soldiers due to some asshat revealing their own sensitive operation plans have ALWAYS been of great concern to them. Maybe not other risks, but they definitely care a lot about not sharing their operational plans so that the enemy knows what they are going to do.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The risk of US soldiers due to some asshat revealing their own sensitive operation plans have ALWAYS been of great concern to them. Maybe not other risks, but they definitely care a lot about not sharing their operational plans so that the enemy knows what they are going to do.
    I'm sure they're waiting for Pence so they don't have to deal with trump's impulsivity and ignorance about things. And trump's known to be one of those types who is too heavily influenced by the last person he spoke with.  
  • Options
    Remember that time when Trump said he knew more than all his generals? Remember that? Not having served an hour of active duty and he made that claim, remember that? Would you follow him into battle if you'd spent your lifetime working your way up the chain of command and having survived combat? Would you even respect him?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Remember that time when Trump said he knew more than all his generals? Remember that? Not having served an hour of active duty and he made that claim, remember that? Would you follow him into battle if you'd spent your lifetime working your way up the chain of command and having survived combat? Would you even respect him?
    I think enough people fought in Iraq knowing how bullshit that war was, but did it anyway out of their sworn duty to uphold the orders of the CIC. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think enough people fought in Iraq knowing how bullshit that war was, but did it anyway out of their sworn duty to uphold the orders of the CIC. 
    The Iraq war was not the same as nuclear war, nor is Bush comparable to Trump as a leader.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Iraq war was not the same as nuclear war, nor is Bush comparable to Trump as a leader.
    I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that people in the military follow orders. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know what you're saying. I guess my response can be interpreted as 'everyone has a limit'. I think Trump would cause most of the military, and certainly its leaders, to reach that limit. They don't want a completely unhinged moron who has literally zero impulse control and a complete and total lack of understanding about how things work running the show any more than anyone else.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    PJ_Soul said:
    And that's by design.  Civilian leadership of the military was a new and novel concept in 1783 and really separated us from the world.  It's one of the controls built into the gov't.  We are lucky the military has never tried a coup.  
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    And that's by design.  Civilian leadership of the military was a new and novel concept in 1783 and really separated us from the world.  It's one of the controls built into the gov't.  We are lucky the military has never tried a coup.  
    I've always felt that the military has had such a overbearing presence in the White House that there's no real point to a military coup.  

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've always felt that the military has had such a overbearing presence in the White House that there's no real point to a military coup.  

That's an argument for sure... 
  • Options
    Hey look, the National Review is using my word to describe certain people on the boards!  Anyone know any Leninists?

Consider the departure of Stephen Bannon from the White House. Contrary to a lot of punditry, it is unlikely that the White House will become less gonzo with his absence. (The president sets the tempo for this administration.) But it is almost surely true that the climate outside of the White House will get more absurd with Bannon back at Breitbart.com. Bannon has boasted that he is a “Leninist.” Like so much of what Bannon says, that’s hyperbole, but he does share with the Soviet revolutionary a worldview of “the worse, the better.” Bannon believes that racial anxiety, populist fervor, and widespread resentment help his cause.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450721/trump-impeachment-politics-new-normal
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hey look, the National Review is using my word to describe certain people on the boards!  Anyone know any Leninists?

Consider the departure of Stephen Bannon from the White House. Contrary to a lot of punditry, it is unlikely that the White House will become less gonzo with his absence. (The president sets the tempo for this administration.) But it is almost surely true that the climate outside of the White House will get more absurd with Bannon back at Breitbart.com. Bannon has boasted that he is a “Leninist.” Like so much of what Bannon says, that’s hyperbole, but he does share with the Soviet revolutionary a worldview of “the worse, the better.” Bannon believes that racial anxiety, populist fervor, and widespread resentment help his cause.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450721/trump-impeachment-politics-new-normal
    I agree with this. I personally felt very concerned about Bannon being in the White House, but I didn't feel any better about things when he left it either. Bannon is dangerous either way now that he got his foot in that door.
  • Options
    Particularly all of those National Guard and reserve folks who signed up thinking they'd be the brunt of an invasion force after being sold on the theory that the National Guard and reserves only get called into active duty when there's a national emergency or America's security is at risk. And at least Bush learned how to fly a jet, even if it wasn't in combat and as president never disparaged those who served below him. Night and day.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    I read the script from last nights rally, I watched the end. It seems to me he is the same Trump that campaigned and the same Trump that was D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T-I-C-A-L-L-Y elected.
    Last night he went off script, went after the media, our political systems, the democrats, the republicans (some specifically) and even his staff! He doubled down on his Charlottesville response, the wall, he said the repeal and replace fight isn't over, tax reform bragged about jobs, blah blah.
    If you're expecting a change in delivery or demeanor from campaign Trump, president elect Trump or first 100 days Trump, forget it, not happening. Last night couldn't have been any more clearer that he isn't changing. Get used to it, get over it and move on to more important subjects topics that actually matter, ignore the superficial.   
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    I read the script from last nights rally, I watched the end. It seems to me he is the same Trump that campaigned and the same Trump that was D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T-I-C-A-L-L-Y elected.
    Last night he went off script, went after the media, our political systems, the democrats, the republicans (some specifically) and even his staff! He doubled down on his Charlottesville response, the wall, he said the repeal and replace fight isn't over, tax reform bragged about jobs, blah blah.
    If you're expecting a change in delivery or demeanor from campaign Trump, president elect Trump or first 100 days Trump, forget it, not happening. Last night couldn't have been any more clearer that he isn't changing. Get used to it, get over it and move on to more important subjects topics that actually matter, ignore the superficial.   

But, but..but...Nazis
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

:rofl  I am doing this tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JC29856 said:
    I don't think anyone is expecting him to change. If anything, most people expect him to get progressively worse. Where'd you get the idea that anyone is expecting him to improve at this point?? But what really stands out is that you're trying to make us believe that you think a valid option is to "get used to it, get over it, and move on to more important topics that actually matter", and think this is just superficial stuff. You're just trolling.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    I don't think anyone is expecting him to change. If anything, most people expect him to get progressively worse. Where'd you get the idea that anyone is expecting him to improve at this point?? But what really stands out is that you're trying to make us believe that you think a valid option is to "get used to it, get over it, and move on to more important topics that actually matter", and think this is just superficial stuff. You're just trolling.
      I watched post rally cable news last night but other than that I'll quote some post from this thread.
This discussion has been closed.