Donald Trump

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited December 2020
    cutz said:
    https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-iran-nuclear-health-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-22e9cd885c1d4de1b9be68e13233a306

Trump’s presidential legacy, by the numbers

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE yesterday

WASHINGTON (AP) — Words matter. But numbers tell stories, too.

Presidential historians and others will plumb them as they assess President Donald Trump’s legacy,

Trump’s presidency is reflected in a broad range of numbers representing everything from the U.S. death toll during the coronavirus pandemic to the miles of his “big, beautiful wall” along the border with Mexico to the tens of thousands of tweets he sent during four years in office.

Some of the numbers that are part of Trump’s legacy:

—325,000 and counting: Number of U.S. deaths attributed to COVID-19.

—6: Coronavirus vaccines being developed and-or distributed under Trump’s Operation Warp Speed program.

—2: Coronavirus vaccines — by Pfizer and BioNTech, and a separate one by Moderna — that U.S. regulators approved in 2020 for emergency use.

U.S. health care during the Trump presidency.
    0: Comprehensive health care overhaul plans Trump introduced despite repeated promises to replace the Obama-era Affordable Care Act with a plan that would cover everyone at a lower cost.

3: Justices added to the Supreme Court, establishing a solid 6-3 conservative majority.

221: Federal trial-level and appeals court judges added to the judiciary.

Trump and the judiciary.
    $3.1 trillion: 2020 budget deficit, the largest in dollar terms in U.S. history. Trump had pledged during the 2016 campaign to eliminate the gap between federal spending and revenue. Tax cuts Trump enacted in 2017 contributed to the imbalance, and it ballooned further after Congress passed $2.4 trillion in economic relief earlier this year to help unemployed workers, business owners and others weather the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

3: In-person meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (in Singapore, Vietnam and the Korean demilitarized zone).

$21 trillion: Federal debt in December, when it exceeded the size of the economy for the first time in history outside World War II.

82: Number of Trump administration environmental and public health rollbacks tracked on Harvard University’s rollback tracker.

4: Men who served as acting secretary of defense, the most in any administration.

203: Days the Pentagon operated without a Senate-confirmed defense secretary, the longest stretch in the history of the office.

450: Miles of Trump’s “big, beautiful” steel wall along the U.S.-Mexico border expected to completed by year’s end.

Trump and immigration.
    39%: Trump’s average approval rating among American adults in AP-NORC polls over the course of his presidency. Assessments of Trump’s performance were remarkably stable, compared with his recent predecessors, ranging from a low of 32% to a high of 43% in AP-NORC polls.

1 billion: Barrels of oil and gas pumped from federally managed lands in 2019 as the administration sped permits and opened wilderness and other areas to the industry.

$135 billion: Expected growth in the defense budget under Trump. President Barack Obama’s final defense budget for 2017 totaled $605 billion; Trump’s final defense budget for 2021, approved by Congress in December, totaled $740 billion. Trump vetoed the bill citing various reasons, but Congress had enough votes to enact the bill over his objections.

4: International agreements Trump pulled the U.S. out of: Iran nuclear deal, Paris climate agreement, Open Skies Treaty and Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

13: Federal executions scheduled since July, when the administration resumed putting inmates to death after a 17-year hiatus, making Trump the most prolific execution president in more than 130 years. Federal executions will be carried out until just before the Jan. 20 inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

315: Days Trump has visited a golf course as president, according to Factba.se, a data analytics company.

418: Days Trump has visited a property he owns, according to Factba.se.

1: New branch of U.S. military: the Space Force.

15%: Drop in trade deficit with China between January-September 2020 and a year earlier. This followed a 19% drop in 2019 to $308 billion, the lowest since 2013.

25,000 and counting: Tweets, including original messages and retweets, sent by Trump since he took office on Jan. 20, 2017, according to Factba.se.
    That 450 number for wall mileage is bogus. It's actually 15:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46824649
    i actually watched a piece on it on CNN just the other day that also stated it was 450. 
    That is including miles and miles of wall that were repaired.

I guess the numbers vary depending on the source. Forbes says it is 30 miles:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-01/the-border-wall-that-u-s-not-mexico-is-paying-for-quicktake

4. How much more wall has Trump gotten built?

As of Aug. 7, work had been completed on 30 miles of barriers where none had existed prior to Trump’s presidency, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Of that amount, five miles are “primary” barriers -- the first to be encountered -- while 25 miles are “secondary” barriers beyond the primary ones. Funding had been identified for another 157 miles of new wall that’s “in the pre-construction phase,” according to the agency.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,695
    Parksy said:
    Greetings All  and Merry Christmas! 

As I continue to watch Trump being the most corrupt POTUS in history... I wanted to get some feedback from some Americans on here. 

While it's easy to blame Trump for all that he has done.. do any of you share some of the blame with the general legalities in general?  Like ok, it's bad that he's giving out pardons like presents... but do you as Americans blame each government before for allowing this technicality to be allowed? It's striking to me that a Bush, Clinton, Obama didn't think to themselves... "OK, this is too much power for one elected person." 

And also, do you expect Biden to change some of these policies?  It would be a President taking away Presidential powers, which seems unlikely even though it also seems like the right thing to do. 

I have thought for quite some time that the president has too much power.   To my way of thinking, the role of that office should be one in which the person at the top provides inspiration, sets a good example, promotes the ability to communicate well and use tact,  maintains order in governmental affairs, acts as a respectful and respected liaison between the U.S. and other countries, and seeks to promote peace, the well being of the people, and the health of the planet that sustains us. Isn't that enough?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    I'd like to know how a president reduces his own powers permanently in the US. I think like most things, if it can be done or undone, the opposite can also be done. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited December 2020
    I honestly don't think anyone thought someone as corrupt as Trump would ever get elected and abuse the powers in the first place. So I do not blame his predecessors. I think blame can start being handed out moving forward if stronger checks are not put into place because sooner or later a more competent corrupt autocrat wannabe might get elected. Thank God Trump is as dumb as a rock. 

Also I am guessing it will be up to congress to ensure those checks. 
    www.myspace.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I feel like the US constitution was designed to prevent a dictator.   IE they fought against the British Monarchy. 

Trump got away with a lot of things, and showed there's some issues, but in other ways the constitution did was it's designed to do. It does separate powers.   That being said, what we've learned from the Trump era, is maybe you can get around that if you start replacing everyone with your own people, and/or get collusion from the other separate powers.

I agree with the post above.   The original drafters of the constitution probably didn't envision that enough people would agree with a dictator that they would try to keep in power.  It's definitely scary if someone like this rose again, but was more competent.

It does show that while the US constitution held ground this time, the obvious kryptonite is collusion between different government branches. 

Still.. the fact that Trump hasn't been able to steal the election, shows that at least the thing is somewhat working.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    Zod said:
    I feel like the US constitution was designed to prevent a dictator.   IE they fought against the British Monarchy. 

Trump got away with a lot of things, and showed there's some issues, but in other ways the constitution did was it's designed to do. It does separate powers.   That being said, what we've learned from the Trump era, is maybe you can get around that if you start replacing everyone with your own people, and/or get collusion from the other separate powers.

I agree with the post above.   The original drafters of the constitution probably didn't envision that enough people would agree with a dictator that they would try to keep in power.  It's definitely scary if someone like this rose again, but was more competent.

It does show that while the US constitution held ground this time, the obvious kryptonite is collusion between different government branches. 

Still.. the fact that Trump hasn't been able to steal the election, shows that at least the thing is somewhat working.
    I think the "judicial" parts of "checks and balances" has come through very well. But I think the republic was still exposed as being a bit of a house of cards. When all's said and done, Biden won the election fairly handily but I would not go so far as to say that America loudly denounced him.  He brought people to the polls, on both sides.  Had he won, he'd have had four more years to stack the courts.  I don't think the framers envisioned a 51-49 Senate and a power-hungry majority leader joining a deranged president (the one part they did anticipate) filling the courts with party loyalists who would simply do their bidding. Now, that might contract my very first sentence, but four more years of Trump and Mitch? Who knows? They may have been able to bring courts along to the dark side.

It's almost a cliche by now, but the Constitution anticipated Trump; it did not plan for an entire party to allow him to continue to push fascism. 

And another key element to a republic / democracy is public confidence and buy-in. That's as shaken as it's ever been in the United States. This includes people like me who really believe one party's objective is authoritarianism along with the fact that one man's ego has a critical mass of people thinking that the presidential election was fixed.

Trump's loss helps. If the Dems win Georgia, that would help.  But we're not out of the woods. Hopefully the current fascination with fascism subsides before the GOP takes the reins, again.  But in the social media, echo-chamber world, these hurdles are difficult to scale.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
     N.Y. prosecutor hires forensic accounting experts as Trump criminal probe escalates
    By Shayna Jacobs and Jonathan O'Connell

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-tax-returns-new-york-investigation/2020/12/29/11c43a38-43c8-11eb-b0e4-0f182923a025_story.html

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
     N.Y. prosecutor hires forensic accounting experts as Trump criminal probe escalates

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-tax-returns-new-york-investigation/2020/12/29/11c43a38-43c8-11eb-b0e4-0f182923a025_story.html

2021 is shaping up to be a very good year

www.headstonesband.com

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    mickeyrat said:

2021 is shaping up to be a very good year
    https://youtu.be/H4lurE-IpHE
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mickeyrat said:

this is very, very bad for trump.

sdny would not spend all of this money to go halfass digging for evidence. this confirms to me that they have probable cause.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • i was just thinking the last few days. i have called trump lazy because all he seems to want to do is golf. then i remembered that the secret service is billed hundreds of thousands of dollars for every golf trip he takes. he is having the government pay HIM for his own trips. it is all a part of the fucking grift with this guy.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    literally 3 weeks of this douchebag left.  21 days.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    #buckleup
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ikiT said:
    #buckleup

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    cutz said:
    https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-iran-nuclear-health-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-22e9cd885c1d4de1b9be68e13233a306

Trump’s presidential legacy, by the numbers

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE yesterday

WASHINGTON (AP) — Words matter. But numbers tell stories, too.

Presidential historians and others will plumb them as they assess President Donald Trump’s legacy,

Trump’s presidency is reflected in a broad range of numbers representing everything from the U.S. death toll during the coronavirus pandemic to the miles of his “big, beautiful wall” along the border with Mexico to the tens of thousands of tweets he sent during four years in office.

Some of the numbers that are part of Trump’s legacy:

—325,000 and counting: Number of U.S. deaths attributed to COVID-19.

—6: Coronavirus vaccines being developed and-or distributed under Trump’s Operation Warp Speed program.

—2: Coronavirus vaccines — by Pfizer and BioNTech, and a separate one by Moderna — that U.S. regulators approved in 2020 for emergency use.

U.S. health care during the Trump presidency.
    0: Comprehensive health care overhaul plans Trump introduced despite repeated promises to replace the Obama-era Affordable Care Act with a plan that would cover everyone at a lower cost.

3: Justices added to the Supreme Court, establishing a solid 6-3 conservative majority.

221: Federal trial-level and appeals court judges added to the judiciary.

Trump and the judiciary.
    $3.1 trillion: 2020 budget deficit, the largest in dollar terms in U.S. history. Trump had pledged during the 2016 campaign to eliminate the gap between federal spending and revenue. Tax cuts Trump enacted in 2017 contributed to the imbalance, and it ballooned further after Congress passed $2.4 trillion in economic relief earlier this year to help unemployed workers, business owners and others weather the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

3: In-person meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (in Singapore, Vietnam and the Korean demilitarized zone).

$21 trillion: Federal debt in December, when it exceeded the size of the economy for the first time in history outside World War II.

82: Number of Trump administration environmental and public health rollbacks tracked on Harvard University’s rollback tracker.

4: Men who served as acting secretary of defense, the most in any administration.

203: Days the Pentagon operated without a Senate-confirmed defense secretary, the longest stretch in the history of the office.

450: Miles of Trump’s “big, beautiful” steel wall along the U.S.-Mexico border expected to completed by year’s end.

Trump and immigration.
    39%: Trump’s average approval rating among American adults in AP-NORC polls over the course of his presidency. Assessments of Trump’s performance were remarkably stable, compared with his recent predecessors, ranging from a low of 32% to a high of 43% in AP-NORC polls.

1 billion: Barrels of oil and gas pumped from federally managed lands in 2019 as the administration sped permits and opened wilderness and other areas to the industry.

$135 billion: Expected growth in the defense budget under Trump. President Barack Obama’s final defense budget for 2017 totaled $605 billion; Trump’s final defense budget for 2021, approved by Congress in December, totaled $740 billion. Trump vetoed the bill citing various reasons, but Congress had enough votes to enact the bill over his objections.

4: International agreements Trump pulled the U.S. out of: Iran nuclear deal, Paris climate agreement, Open Skies Treaty and Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

13: Federal executions scheduled since July, when the administration resumed putting inmates to death after a 17-year hiatus, making Trump the most prolific execution president in more than 130 years. Federal executions will be carried out until just before the Jan. 20 inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

315: Days Trump has visited a golf course as president, according to Factba.se, a data analytics company.

418: Days Trump has visited a property he owns, according to Factba.se.

1: New branch of U.S. military: the Space Force.

15%: Drop in trade deficit with China between January-September 2020 and a year earlier. This followed a 19% drop in 2019 to $308 billion, the lowest since 2013.

25,000 and counting: Tweets, including original messages and retweets, sent by Trump since he took office on Jan. 20, 2017, according to Factba.se.
    That 450 number for wall mileage is bogus. It's actually 15:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46824649
    i actually watched a piece on it on CNN just the other day that also stated it was 450. 
    That is including miles and miles of wall that were repaired.

I guess the numbers vary depending on the source. Forbes says it is 30 miles:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-01/the-border-wall-that-u-s-not-mexico-is-paying-for-quicktake

4. How much more wall has Trump gotten built?

As of Aug. 7, work had been completed on 30 miles of barriers where none had existed prior to Trump’s presidency, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Of that amount, five miles are “primary” barriers -- the first to be encountered -- while 25 miles are “secondary” barriers beyond the primary ones. Funding had been identified for another 157 miles of new wall that’s “in the pre-construction phase,” according to the agency.

Yeah, the 450 Miles is bogus and that was the point, because 450 Miles were expected but that never happened.
  • I’m old enough to remember when the Onion was satirical

https://www.theonion.com/trump-to-nation-don-t-let-your-lives-be-dominated-by-1845310886

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Saw this on Facebook:
    Candace Owens:
    “ At the moment, POTUS is sitting on a stack of Trump cards that he's just waiting to unleash...a royal flush!
    He has court cases that will go to the Supreme Court and thanks to the Texas case, he's now aware how to file them properly...under article 3 not 2...so the SCOTUS will be forced to listen.....
    He now has the DNI report. Barr stepped down and can now be a witness.....he did his job. Durham is special counsel and can prosecute, in any state....
    He’s letting civil, criminal and federal courts fail to handle the situation properly.....so he can use military tribunals. He has ALL the data from the NSA, the Kraken supercomputer, the Alice supercomputer and likely many more computers, unknown to us....
    He has the dueling electors from 7 state legislatures. He has VP Pence, as the final arbiter of which ballots to accept.....
    He has the Insurrection Act, the NDAA, the national emergency, the 14th amendment, the 2018 executive order, the 2017 very first EO, the Patriot Act, the FISA warrants, the Declassification of everything, people swearing affidavits by the 1000s.
    He has all the statistical data being analyzed....along with the videos, emails, phone calls and bank transfer statements.....showing the coordination of the coup d'etat.
    He has RICO and he has the crimes against humanity videos. Wikileaks just dropped extensive information and Assange will be pardoned. Assange can then openly discuss the murder of Seth Rich....
    Now that the governors and secretary of states certified and Biden accepted....they each committed and knowingly agreed to acts of Treason....
    Solar Winds was literally just raided and Dominion is closing down, as well. He has the CIA servers, used to change dominion machine votes from Trump to Biden...and he will soon have access to the actual machines, themselves....
    He baited the Deep State into staying in DC, so they can be arrested. Biden hasn’t accepted any transition money and Harris has still not given up her seat on the senate....
    The military has infiltrated Antifa and BLM. He has all their financial records. He knows which politicians took Chinese and Soros money....both Republican and Demorat....
    He positioned Christopher Miller as secretary of defense and Ezra-Cohen Watnick as assistant secretary of defense. He literally just wrote an executive order, regarding the military line of succession. Many suspect Watnick to be Q.
    He is defunding the CIA. He just replaced Kissinger & Allbright on the National Security Advisory Board.....with men loyal to him.
    The military has been flying planes, far more than usual, all over the country. The Navy just parked mega fleets on both coasts. The 82nd Airborne is preparing for an operation....which is the same group that General Flynn & AG Donoghue were enlisted.
    Pieces are finally falling into place. POTUS has it all! He is just laying out the pieces and building the narrative. He knows he won and they commited Treason! He set a trap and they walked right in, without hesitation.
    He gave the Deep State the chance to come clean and try to fix things. They chose Treason! They will all hang, as the result.
    Patriots in control! Nothing can stop what's coming.”. Copied and pasted
    Saw this on Facebook:
    Candace Owens:
    “ At the moment, POTUS is sitting on a stack of Trump cards that he's just waiting to unleash...a royal flush!
    He has court cases that will go to the Supreme Court and thanks to the Texas case, he's now aware how to file them properly...under article 3 not 2...so the SCOTUS will be forced to listen.....
    He now has the DNI report. Barr stepped down and can now be a witness.....he did his job. Durham is special counsel and can prosecute, in any state....
    He’s letting civil, criminal and federal courts fail to handle the situation properly.....so he can use military tribunals. He has ALL the data from the NSA, the Kraken supercomputer, the Alice supercomputer and likely many more computers, unknown to us....
    He has the dueling electors from 7 state legislatures. He has VP Pence, as the final arbiter of which ballots to accept.....
    He has the Insurrection Act, the NDAA, the national emergency, the 14th amendment, the 2018 executive order, the 2017 very first EO, the Patriot Act, the FISA warrants, the Declassification of everything, people swearing affidavits by the 1000s.
    He has all the statistical data being analyzed....along with the videos, emails, phone calls and bank transfer statements.....showing the coordination of the coup d'etat.
    He has RICO and he has the crimes against humanity videos. Wikileaks just dropped extensive information and Assange will be pardoned. Assange can then openly discuss the murder of Seth Rich....
    Now that the governors and secretary of states certified and Biden accepted....they each committed and knowingly agreed to acts of Treason....
    Solar Winds was literally just raided and Dominion is closing down, as well. He has the CIA servers, used to change dominion machine votes from Trump to Biden...and he will soon have access to the actual machines, themselves....
    He baited the Deep State into staying in DC, so they can be arrested. Biden hasn’t accepted any transition money and Harris has still not given up her seat on the senate....
    The military has infiltrated Antifa and BLM. He has all their financial records. He knows which politicians took Chinese and Soros money....both Republican and Demorat....
    He positioned Christopher Miller as secretary of defense and Ezra-Cohen Watnick as assistant secretary of defense. He literally just wrote an executive order, regarding the military line of succession. Many suspect Watnick to be Q.
    He is defunding the CIA. He just replaced Kissinger & Allbright on the National Security Advisory Board.....with men loyal to him.
    The military has been flying planes, far more than usual, all over the country. The Navy just parked mega fleets on both coasts. The 82nd Airborne is preparing for an operation....which is the same group that General Flynn & AG Donoghue were enlisted.
    Pieces are finally falling into place. POTUS has it all! He is just laying out the pieces and building the narrative. He knows he won and they commited Treason! He set a trap and they walked right in, without hesitation.
    He gave the Deep State the chance to come clean and try to fix things. They chose Treason! They will all hang, as the result.
    she has truly lost her fucking mind. how some people call her some type of scholar or genius is just beyond my comprehension. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    There is nowhere in the Constitution that gives the VP the right to choose which electors to select.  If there were, he would be defacto king.  It’s an absurd argument.  
  • Saw this on Facebook:
    Candace Owens:
    And what will she say in a few weeks when Biden is in the Oval?  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    mrussel1 said:
    There is nowhere in the Constitution that gives the VP the right to choose which electors to select.  If there were, he would be defacto king.  It’s an absurd argument.  
    it's not absurd to those of us that are new to this portion of the process. I'd hazard a guess that 95% of the general population, maybe even higher, has zero clue about this process. If they learned about it in school, they've forgotten it or never actually learned it in the first place. And with it being slowly realized that Trump has exposed holes and/or that there are many grey areas in the constitution, and with Trump's legal team and right wing media saying Pence does have (some kind of) power to swing it; it becomes believable. I fell for it. Hell, I think I fell for it in an article on CNN.com. 

www.headstonesband.com

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    mrussel1 said:
    it's not absurd to those of us that are new to this portion of the process. I'd hazard a guess that 95% of the general population, maybe even higher, has zero clue about this process. If they learned about it in school, they've forgotten it or never actually learned it in the first place. And with it being slowly realized that Trump has exposed holes and/or that there are many grey areas in the constitution, and with Trump's legal team and right wing media saying Pence does have (some kind of) power to swing it; it becomes believable. I fell for it. Hell, I think I fell for it in an article on CNN.com. 

I didn't learn a lot of this in school.  There's not enough recent history of it mattering. I don't remember exactly what I learned but I am sure every four years we learned about the electoral college, which is to say that the votes of the people are tabulated per the electoral college. I don't quite recall when or how I learned about the electors and that part of the process but I would not be surprised if I was an adult. I probably learned about the date and the concept of "faithless electors" after the election of 2000, which was so close.

As for what's going to happen on the 6th?  I found out this year. Why? Because a petulant whiny baby's ego has led an entire party down a very dark path and suddenly this stuff is not mere formality. 

In 2000, there was actual reason to believe that Bush stole the election. And who'd he beat? Sitting Vice President Al Gore.  If what these people believe (that Pence can just turn this around because he wants to), it's hard to believe that it never even came up when this step of the process came around with Gore. It never came up because 1) Gore took his actually-suspicious loss better than Trump, 2) There wasn't an entire party and conspiracy movement just making shit up as they go, and 3) It wasn't actually possible for Gore to flip the election.

(The internet wasn't what it now is back then, so maybe there were rumblings of Gore trying to flip the election. I don't recall hearing it.)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    that's exactly it. no one knows because all of this used to be mere formality. most of us are learning about it as we go, so we are susceptible to misinformation on the subject, not necessarily knowing who to trust, especially if all we're given is "not going to happen" 9/10 times instead of an actual explanation. 

www.headstonesband.com

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    If only there were a source document....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    dankind said:
    Nothing on Candace Owens' Facebook page or Twitter account. Color me shocked.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Nothing on Candace Owens' Facebook page or Twitter account. Color me shocked.
    Hahaha.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    that's exactly it. no one knows because all of this used to be mere formality. most of us are learning about it as we go, so we are susceptible to misinformation on the subject, not necessarily knowing who to trust, especially if all we're given is "not going to happen" 9/10 times instead of an actual explanation. 
    No offense,  but it doesn't matter what 95% of the population knows our what the Canadians know.  It's still nowhere in the constitution. That's not a shot at you,  I'm just saying it's an absurd argument.  There's no legs to it.  A VP doesn't just get to select the electors.  They are certified and presented to him.  That certification already happened.  Otherwise random people could just get together from a state and create alternate electors,  allowing the VP to choose the president.  That's essentially what is being tried.  These few states had essentially residents get together to create fake electors.  There's no legitimacy to them. 
    dankind said:
    Problem that can't be solved. 
    dankind said:
    yes, because every time I have a question I'm going to go fucking navigate the entire constitution. JFC. 

www.headstonesband.com

some of you know it alls should really stop being such dicks to people who fully admit they don't know it all. 

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.