Poll--The Weakest Link: VS, Round 1

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129
    Blood
    Dissident, Leash, WMA...all better than Blood.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Blood
    mcgruff10 said:

I have to make myself try and like Dissident everytime I hear it.

Just when I start to like you, Pjfan... :angry:
    You chose blood as your first pick. Just when I start to like you dyer...
    Well, we are talking about the studio version on Vs, here. :smiley: It kicks ass live, but on Vs it's the weakest link for me.
  • Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    I'm shocked that small town has so few votes. Compared to all others it's so blah to me. Of course it's fun live bc we get to scream hello together but the studio version is boring to me and always leaves me feeling so depressed.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    Blood

I'm shocked that small town has so few votes. Compared to all others it's so blah to me. Of course it's fun live bc we get to scream hello together but the studio version is boring to me and always leaves me feeling so depressed.

I think it is one of the most beautiful songs they have ever written.

• northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Glorified G
    JimmyV said:

That is just crazy talk. Blood is fucking amazing.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    edited March 2017
    Rats
    Once again, I'll admit that my choices are being made on live performances as opposed to studio versions. I too wasn't a fan of Blood until I started listening to the bootlegs. Live, it's such an amazing, kick-ass live tune and there's no way I could votes it down first.
    Blood
    rummy said:

Once again, I'll admit that my choices are being made on live performances as opposed to studio versions. I too wasn't a fan of Blood until I started listening to the bootlegs. Live, it's such an amazing, kick-ass live tune and there's no way I could votes it down first.

Yeah, but we should be voting on the studio versions... since they're the ones on the album.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    W.M.A.

rummy said:

Yeah, but we should be voting on the studio versions... since they're the ones on the album.
    I'm listening to the studio version of blood right now....it kicks some serious ass!!! wma and glorified g are the two I always skip.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Blood
    mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

I'm listening to the studio version of blood right now....it kicks some serious ass!!! wma and glorified g are the two I always skip.
    WMA is a serious tune as well. Scruffy what the hell, man? The subtle guitar throughout that song and vocals are awesome.

I understand voting for them because you gotta vote for something, but skipping them?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Blood
    I don't know that we should be voting just on the studio versions. Pearl Jam is a great live band. If we are selecting their greatest song it seems strange to pick and choose what evidence counts and what evidence doesn't.

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    rummy said:

If you are talking blood live 93-96 then I agree. It's a bit neutered post 2002...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Posts: 278

JimmyV said:

The most exciting feeling I've had at any Pearl Jam concert, and I've been to many, was in Greenville as WMA ended and I knew Blood was next. Being someone who generally loves the surprise of a setlist, knowing it was next, I was about to explode. Love that song. And love that memory/moment.

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453
    W.M.A.

JimmyV said:

The most exciting feeling I've had at any Pearl Jam concert, and I've been to many, was in Greenville as WMA ended and I knew Blood was next. Being someone who generally loves the surprise of a setlist, knowing it was next, I was about to explode. Love that song. And love that memory/moment.

That was indeed a great moment. Also getting to hear Leash and Indifference. Hell, that whole night was spectacular.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,943
    Dissident
    Round one: easy. Round two: not so much.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    Glorified G

JimmyV said:

Totally. It is one of my favorite PJ songs. Top 5 (especially live). Best song on Vs IMO. I can't believe Blood has so many votes. I had no clue people didn't love it. I mean, it seems impossible, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

That's exactly how I felt when I knew leash was next. Crazy tense excitement. Such a great night!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    W.M.A.

I hate to be critical of this masterpiece, but here we go.

I m absolutely shocked that so many people voted for rats. The Jam at the end is stellar live!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Blood
    How awesome is this record when Dissident and Glorified G are the first two voted off? These songs were both big radio hits that even the die hard fans who think Fugazi is the greatest band ever like.
  • Rats

mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

WMA is a serious tune as well. Scruffy what the hell, man? The subtle guitar throughout that song and vocals are awesome.

I understand voting for them because you gotta vote for something, but skipping them?
    never skipped a PJ tune on an album until LB came out. And it has TWO that I skip.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Rats
    mcgruff10 said:

I m absolutely shocked that so many people voted for rats. The Jam at the end is stellar live!
    ok, hard trolling now confirmed.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

W.M.A.

mcgruff10 said:

ok, hard trolling now confirmed.
    Hugh i was being serious. That Jam at the end is killer live.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    Dissident
    Blood is one of my favorite PJ songs ever. Dissident one of my least favorites in their catalogue.
    Glorified G

JimmyV said:

I heard Blood for the first time last year in Ottawa. I lost my mind I was so excited. And then I lost my hair barrette rocking out. Felt the same way when they dropped it 4 nights later in TO2. That song is just badass in all its forms.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Glorified G

How awesome is this record when Dissident and Glorified G are the first two voted off? These songs were both big radio hits that even the die hard fans who think Fugazi is the greatest band ever like.

Glorified G has and always will be the weakest song on that album.

• P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,320
    W.M.A.
    I voted WMA. Not sure what the hate for Glorified G is.
    I bet top 3 are Daughter, Animal, and RVM.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Blood

It would be one of the strongest on any album post Vitalogy.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    Dissident

It would be one of the strongest on any album post Vitalogy.
    Strongest on Yield or No Code? Not a chance.
  • KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Rats
    I think Dissident and Elderly are both fantastic songs, but will both get alot of votes (looks like Dissident is out first round) simply because PJ plays both of them almost every show and it has kind of worn on people. I remember listening to both of these songs over and over again when this album first came out 24 or so years ago
  • P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,320
    W.M.A.
    At least round 2 will be easy as I'll just vote WMA again.
    There's no need to say goodbye
    Blood
    JimmyV said:

I don't know that we should be voting just on the studio versions. Pearl Jam is a great live band. If we are selecting their greatest song it seems strange to pick and choose what evidence counts and what evidence doesn't.

Well, there's this:
    MedozK said:

We will play to determine the GREATEST song on the album Vs.

This discussion has been closed.