Options

RIP Carrie Fisher

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

very sad that she died so young. however.....and don't crucify me for this, but it's just a thought i had.....everyone seems to be going ape shit, making like the measure of a bad year is solely based on the amount of celebrities that died. isn't that weird to anyone else? and just a tad empty and first world elitist?

I'm with you there, I think it's just because celebrity worship has become such a huge deal in America and some of the celebrities that passed this year were among the first recipients of that celebrity worship.

It's ok to mourn anyone who had an impact on your life, but I keep seeing these memes that have pictures of all the celebrities that passed this year and people lamenting how 2016 is the worst year ever...most of the people posting them couldn't actually name anything Cohen, Prince, or Bowie did in their careers.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    In 2016 we have lost a PRINCE and a PRINCESS.

Peace rest in it
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    rgambs said:

very sad that she died so young. however.....and don't crucify me for this, but it's just a thought i had.....everyone seems to be going ape shit, making like the measure of a bad year is solely based on the amount of celebrities that died. isn't that weird to anyone else? and just a tad empty and first world elitist?

I'm with you there, I think it's just because celebrity worship has become such a huge deal in America and some of the celebrities that passed this year were among the first recipients of that celebrity worship.

It's ok to mourn anyone who had an impact on your life, but I keep seeing these memes that have pictures of all the celebrities that passed this year and people lamenting how 2016 is the worst year ever...most of the people posting them couldn't actually name anything Cohen, Prince, or Bowie did in their careers.
    Gotta love folks passing judgement on others. I am sure you'd be incredibly even-keeled if someone in this band were to pass...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

rgambs said:

Gotta love folks passing judgement on others. I am sure you'd be incredibly even-keeled if someone in this band were to pass...
    easy....I see what gambs is saying. I understand being upset when an inspiration has died. I get it. I was listening to Nirvana MTV Unplugged and I fucking burst into tears just the other day.

What I mean is people seem to be overdramatizing all of it. people die. a bunch of celebrities doesn't make it "the worst year ever". to me that's a ludicrous statement to make, that somehow these people are more important than the rest.

I didn't see any "worst year ever" comments on twitter when 200,000 non-celebrities died in the tsunami. that's all I mean.

And as to gambs' final comment.....I agree. when bowie died, people were going crazy on facebook and twitter about how awful it was and how big a fan they were. never ONCE had I heard any of these people talk about Bowie in their LIVES before he died.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

rgambs said:

easy....I see what gambs is saying. I understand being upset when an inspiration has died. I get it. I was listening to Nirvana MTV Unplugged and I fucking burst into tears just the other day.

What I mean is people seem to be overdramatizing all of it. people die. a bunch of celebrities doesn't make it "the worst year ever". to me that's a ludicrous statement to make, that somehow these people are more important than the rest.

I didn't see any "worst year ever" comments on twitter when 200,000 non-celebrities died in the tsunami. that's all I mean.

And as to gambs' final comment.....I agree. when bowie died, people were going crazy on facebook and twitter about how awful it was and how big a fan they were. never ONCE had I heard any of these people talk about Bowie in their LIVES before he died.
    I get it, I just don't see why anyone would feel the need to question someone's reaction to a persons death, whether they knew them personally or not. People over dramatize things in general. That's the time we live.

I agree that perspective is important, but certain things are naturally going to hit someone harder than others even if it is 2 deaths vs. 200,000.

Regardless, we seem to agree for the most part so back to the topic at hand...
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    "People are people.. so why should it be.. you and I should cry for dead celebrities..? "

Sorry.. it just lyrically fit so beautifully..
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Just found out that Paul Simon wrote Heart and Bones for her. Never knew that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ425RKCqco
  • Options
    Ok.. cheesey spell over. I totally get what HFD is saying. I think that sometimes people just unrealistically "attached to" celebrities. Like seriously unrealistic attachments; thus the drastic reactions to their deaths. And I cried when Kurt Cobain died.. so I get it.. ( as in my family had to commit my butt, because I dropped into a non functioning depression over it). But like HFD stated earlier.. people die everyday.. no masses mourn them.. but a celebrity dies and the world falls apart. ( don't get me wrong.. if Stone or Ed dies.. I'll probably cry.. I. May not listen to PJ anymore.. but they have been such a huge, integral part of my
    Life via this band, that I will feel that loss).
    Anyhow. I agree with Hugh.. it is kind of weird.. but also human nature to put certain folks on pedestals. It's sad.. but it's also part of life.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Just found out that Paul Simon wrote Heart and Bones for her. Never knew that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ425RKCqco

I never knew they were together until yesterday. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    she was a very funny and witty lady. wow.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    g under p said:

In 2016 we have lost a PRINCE and a PRINCESS.

Peace rest in it

and a duke and a queen
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Watched SW last night in her honor. So cool how R1 flows right into it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JK_Livin said:

Watched SW last night in her honor. So cool how R1 flows right into it.

Yeah, that was really cool. She will certainly be missed, I kind of hope they CG her ghost into the final installment.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902

No. let people grieve they want to grieve. Who s to say people in other countries don't grieve the same way when their "heroes" pass away.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

I get it. We all react differently. I don't think I would cry if anyone I didn't know personally were to die. I love all sorts of music and movies but I don't that I'm so heavily invested in the people creating them that I would cry over it. Some are built to be more emotional than others. Not good or bad.

Although I have teared up during a movie or two so maybe I'm just full of shit.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I watched Wishful Drinking again on HBO last night....if you haven't seen it, it's great. May she rest in peace.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Stop it! It's not just the fact that they're celebrities. It's the fact that many of them were such huge generational inspirations. No, it's not empty and elitist to be sad because in 1 year we lost so many geniuses. Prince, Bowie, Fisher, Cohen, and the many others that were instrumental in so many people's lives. Plus, almost all of them were unexpected. Why can't we mourn and be upset? Obviously, the year is irrrelevant. It's still sad.
    This^^ It's sad. They are part of the memories of times in our lives. All the happiness they've brought people. It's not wrong to mourn them and really what other year have we had sooooo many artists pass away like this year?? I can't recall..
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    Debbie Reynolds has died
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    igotid88 said:

Debbie Reynolds has died

That's pretty incredible.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    "She wanted to be with Carrie"
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Wow. May they both Rest In Peace.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Debbie Reynolds has died

Just got this news alert on the way home from work. So crazy that they passed so closely
  • Options
    Sad. Loss and grief take their toll, especially on a parent over their child.

My heart breaks for her son. So much to handle, so quickly.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Debbie Reynolds has died

Fuck Murphy's law.
  • Options
    I'm taking this as a note to see Mother since I haven't see it yet. Albert Brooks is one of my comedy heroes. My mom loves this movie.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, that film is among my favorites. She fucking rocked that role.

The sherbet! The frozen cheese! That goddamned market trip.

Great watch, you'll love it.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    edited December 2016

I'm taking this as a note to see Mother since I haven't see it yet. Albert Brooks is one of my comedy heroes. My mom loves this movie.

A must see
    I thought she should have gotten an Oscar nomination.

"It's a protective ice coating"