PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well Hitler did oppress political dissent and the press, and imprisoned political activists, and banned trade unions.... There are parallels. Anyone who refuses to recognize parallels between current leaders and Hitler, even when the parallels are proven fact, are simply suffering from a mental block.

sure ... so, stephen harper blocked the press ... should I call him hitler and tyrannical too?
    Harper wasn't tyrannical in the way Castro was, and wasn't an dictator, but I am happy to discuss any parallels between Hitler and Harper. You sure ain't going to get any arguments from me about what a price Harper is. It's just that this is another thread about Castro. Also, the parallels between Castro and Hitler are factually more numerous and comparable than those between Hitler and Harper. I don't actually understand why you think alluding to other people who have their own faults somehow strengthens your argument about Castro. Liken somehow if some other random politician is an asshole, that somehow means Castro isn't one?
    my point here was only parallels can be drawn between any two people - it doesn't make the comparison legitimate ... there is a reality that is Cuba over the last half century ... not all of what is written or spoken of is true ... i re-iterate ... this was a country that the US tried to intervene and topple since the 60's ... this is a country that's only fault was that it embraced communism ... something we now know not to be evil in its philosophy like it was branded (and still believed by some) ... can anyone actually argue communism is more evil than capitalism after all we know now!? ...

Yes. I can argue that. Now more then ever.
    Go for it then. I mean Communism, not totalitarianism.
    I'll help: there is nothing evil about Communism.
    Unfortunately you cannot have one without the other.
    You can't have communism at all then. Totalitarianism and how that has played out under the guise of communism is NOT Communism. I believe that people may evolve enough to make communism possible. So far, it has never existed as a form of national government (I'm sure there still some small communes that are managing it).
    Shouldn't the fact that it has never existed in the way you imagine it prove that it cannot exist at all? The communism you envision is a myth which is what makes it so evil in the first place. Even with the best of intentions it can only lead to tyranny and self-destruction.
    communism exists as a theory without human greed/ego/etc. how the fuck is that evil?
    I don't know about evil, but maybe misguided?

Point A: Greed, corruption, and ego are part of the human package
    Point B: Possession of greed, corruption, and ego will lead to a corrupt communist society

With these things being said, couldn't you argue that each and every communist society is bound to be exploited to lead to a corrupt society?
    And greed, corruption and ego will and do leas to a corrupt capitalist society, or a corrupt monarchy. By your definition, if they are inherent in humans and human society they will lead to a corrupt society no matter which model we try to follow. So why not try to follow a more egalitarian, humane model?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf