Options

Education

Comments

• Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

Can we shift back to education? I really am curious about more instances of liberal bias. I really haven't experienced it. Are we talking about the professors or the material? Both?

Text books target people in conservative media outlets. I'm not for biased media one way or another, but they specifically bash the conservatives.
    Again, can you provide some examples of this?
    There was a photograph of tweets that Ann Coulter made in a textbook. Talking about how she is one of many problems in the country. I don't like her. But that is a bias. Also, my girlfriend had to watch a documentary about how Fox News is evil. Again, I watch any news station, and they all have bias one way or another. They target the right in college
    Specifically, what were the classes?
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited November 2016

Most 4 year degrees are a waste of time. Unless you are going to do heart surgery or something that is important for public safety, I think 2 years in your core field is enough and then you'll learn more on the job in 1 year than you would have in the four you would have spent in college wasting your money.

In most careers you continually learn new things throughout your career, and the first two years are a huge learning curve. So, if you could leave school after 2 years knowing 10% of what you'll end up learning in your career, versus leaving school after 4 years knowing 15% of what you'll end up needing to know in your career, than I would choose the two year option and start getting paid to learn the rest.

There are plenty of corporate environments that will not allow you to reach a certain level of promotion without a bachelor's degree. It's not limited to heart surgeon and engineer type positions. I choose to not be limited in my ability to climb the ladder.
    This thread is in part about questioning whether 4 years is too long to obtain a bachelor's degree. Obviously in the current environment you have to do the four years (or how ever long it takes to get the number of credit hours).

I believe I can confidently say that there were enough classes in college that I took that could fill two semesters and are/were irrelevant to my career and personal growth. If you are "searching" to figure out what you want to do in life than by all means go to school for 6 years. This is a big problem.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    pjalive21 said:
    I've already said I don't doubt that far more democrats teach. Younger people typically trend toward liberalism as well. The second article you posted is from a news site that is actually owned by a conservative think tank. So there's some actual bias going in there.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648

Most 4 year degrees are a waste of time. Unless you are going to do heart surgery or something that is important for public safety, I think 2 years in your core field is enough and then you'll learn more on the job in 1 year than you would have in the four you would have spent in college wasting your money.

In most careers you continually learn new things throughout your career, and the first two years are a huge learning curve. So, if you could leave school after 2 years knowing 10% of what you'll end up learning in your career, versus leaving school after 4 years knowing 15% of what you'll end up needing to know in your career, than I would choose the two year option and start getting paid to learn the rest.

There are plenty of corporate environments that will not allow you to reach a certain level of promotion without a bachelor's degree. It's not limited to heart surgeon and engineer type positions. I choose to not be limited in my ability to climb the ladder.
    This thread is in part about questioning whether 4 years is too long to obtain a bachelor's degree. Obviously in the current environment you have to do the four years (or how ever long it takes to get the number of credit hours).

I believe I can confidently say that there were enough classes in college that I took that could fill two semesters and are/were irrelevant to my career and personal growth. If you are "searching" to figure out what you want to do in life than by all means go to school for 6 years. This is a big problem.
    It seems like you're pushing that school is the problem, when maybe it wasn't right for you and what you needed or wanted at the time.
  • Options

Conservatives perceive liberal bias in schools because nearly everything conservatives believe in can be dismantled with facts and information. Why would you have conservatives around in an environment where you're exposed to logic, history, science, and facts? I'm sure I may have upset some of the snowflakes in here. Have at it.

This is the liberal arrogance that lost the election.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

It seems like you're pushing that school is the problem, when maybe it wasn't right for you and what you needed or wanted at the time.
    For me, I believe so. I looked at college as a means to an end. It was fun, made a lot of friends, but did learn a lot in my field that helped with getting a job. But with the problem we have now with how much tuition costs, the huge amount of debt, and the lack of jobs for college graduates, I think we need to streamline what a bachelor's degree should entail. Yes, it would be great to take 32 more credit hours and learn a little more, but does the benefit outweigh the cost of $10k, 20k or 40k more in debt? I bet if you ask most people they learn more in the first year of work than they did in four years of college. So is 4 years really the right amount of schooling? Can we get by with 3 years? I think so.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

You said most 4 year degrees are a waste of time and then completely ignored my response to that. If you're saying half the stuff required for a bachelor's degree is unnecessary/wasteful, I agree. That's completely different than saying a bachelor's degree is a waste of time.
  • Options

Conservatives perceive liberal bias in schools because nearly everything conservatives believe in can be dismantled with facts and information. Why would you have conservatives around in an environment where you're exposed to logic, history, science, and facts? I'm sure I may have upset some of the snowflakes in here. Have at it.

I figured on that reaction. Knowledge about the truth didn't lose it. It was low turnout in certain areas, combined with Clinton's inability to effectively connect with working class people in PA OH and WI specifically. She didn't convey how she can improve their situation.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    seanwon said:

riley540 said:

riley540 said:

Can we shift back to education? I really am curious about more instances of liberal bias. I really haven't experienced it. Are we talking about the professors or the material? Both?

Text books target people in conservative media outlets. I'm not for biased media one way or another, but they specifically bash the conservatives.
    Again, can you provide some examples of this?
    There was a photograph of tweets that Ann Coulter made in a textbook. Talking about how she is one of many problems in the country. I don't like her. But that is a bias. Also, my girlfriend had to watch a documentary about how Fox News is evil. Again, I watch any news station, and they all have bias one way or another. They target the right in college
    Specifically, what were the classes?
    Communication. My comm classes in Alaska were great. Really focused on theory and interaction in healthy fun ways. There's no need to use political party's as examples. The best classes I've had are unbiased classes. I think Washington leans hard left and it rubs off in the classroom

• Options

I figured on that reaction. Knowledge about the truth didn't lose it. It was low turnout in certain areas, combined with Clinton's inability to effectively connect with working class people in PA OH and WI specifically. She didn't convey how she can improve their situation.
    I know people in my home state of Alaska went for trump because they really want to work again. They felt like Hillary was ignoring them. Trumps message was jobs, Hillarys was everything else. People need to eat!! And have a roof over their head. Industry in AK has been crushed the past 3 years, so I think people voted for a change of pace.

• Options

You said most 4 year degrees are a waste of time and then completely ignored my response to that. If you're saying half the stuff required for a bachelor's degree is unnecessary/wasteful, I agree. That's completely different than saying a bachelor's degree is a waste of time.
    I think we are actually agreeing with each other. I agree with everything you just said.
  • Options

So the low turn out was her inability to grasp the truth of what people felt. She lost the election because she was arrogant and thought she had it in the bag. The deplorable comment was a hit on her just as the 47% was to Romney. She thought the Hispanic, black and women vote was all hers and she got cocky. However this is about education so I will always say that learning new things is the way to go, but it does not always need to be taught in a school. I think I learned more about the world in the Army then all of my friends that went to school. Expanding your horizons is a big factor in life no matter what political party you like.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

I think we are actually agreeing with each other. I agree with everything you just said.
    Ok that makes sense. Believe me, I've taken my fair share of jerk off classes just to fill an elective. Unfortunately it's necessary for where I want to go.
  • Options
    If I were younger I would be trying to figure out what jobs will still exist after AI takes over more and more. Those white color jobs will be disappearing soon too.
  • Options
    riley540 said:

I know people in my home state of Alaska went for trump because they really want to work again. They felt like Hillary was ignoring them. Trumps message was jobs, Hillarys was everything else. People need to eat!! And have a roof over their head. Industry in AK has been crushed the past 3 years, so I think people voted for a change of pace.

Unfortunately I wish the trump voters would have measured his plans against reality. His bloviating won them over.
  • Options

riley540 said:

Unfortunately I wish the trump voters would have measured his plans against reality. His bloviating won them over.
    Every politician is just "plan". Who knows what will happen
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,577

I totally agree with your evaluation here. Yes, education is seen as "too liberal" by people who don't like facts and applying them using logic and critical thinking skills, and they would prefer that people be taught a bunch of bullshit and to steer around critical thought.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

Every politician is just "plan". Who knows what will happen
    This is post-trump election rationalization. You can have a good idea if something is doable or not. A 16 year old knows tax cuts and increased spending will increase the deficit. Most know a wall isn't realistic, and tell me you believe Mexico will pay for the wall?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    I would expand that political views or association influences and permeates well past college and into the workforce. It would be impossible for it not to affect how a business is run or for the most part what type of person works for said business. Certain careers, like college faculty, will always be more liberal overall because that's part of their purpose; expanding viewpoints, critical analysis and challenging the norm, while trade workers have more of a focused straight forward approach, no nonsense if you prefer.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

I would expand that political views or association influences and permeates well past college and into the workforce. It would be impossible for it not to affect how a business is run or for the most part what type of person works for said business. Certain careers, like college faculty, will always be more liberal overall because that's part of their purpose; expanding viewpoints, critical analysis and challenging the norm, while trade workers have more of a focused straight forward approach, no nonsense if you prefer.

I'd agree with some of that, but the original post makes it sound like the higher education system is a huge ripoff that only serves as a liberal propaganda machine. I don't see it.
  • Options

tbergs said:

I'd agree with some of that, but the original post makes it sound like the higher education system is a huge ripoff that only serves as a liberal propaganda machine. I don't see it.
    People should pay 40,000 dollars per year for great education, not to listen to opinions of teachers.

That's not the big issue. The big issue is that people are pressured into college, and they have a degree for every little subject that often won't result in a job, and lots of debt
  • Options
    riley540 said:

tbergs said:

People should pay 40,000 dollars per year for great education, not to listen to opinions of teachers.

That's not the big issue. The big issue is that people are pressured into college, and they have a degree for every little subject that often won't result in a job, and lots of debt
    Based on some questionable content in a couple communications courses during your 3 semesters, you've arrived at this conclusion? All universities are just full of professors forcing their opinions without actually educating? That hasn't been my experience at all.
  • Options

riley540 said:

tbergs said:

Based on some questionable content in a couple communications courses during your 3 semesters, you've arrived at this conclusion? All universities are just full of professors forcing their opinions without actually educating? That hasn't been my experience at all.
    I never said all schools. I'm saying it's an occurrence here in Washington, a lot of people talk about, and friends in Colorado to Oregon have the same complaint.

That being said, I'm more worried about people spending 40,000 per year when they aren't sure. Signing up for college was literally the same processes as joining a church. They want your $$$$
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

tbergs said:

I never said all schools. I'm saying it's an occurrence here in Washington, a lot of people talk about, and friends in Colorado to Oregon have the same complaint.

That being said, I'm more worried about people spending 40,000 per year when they aren't sure. Signing up for college was literally the same processes as joining a church. They want your $$$$
    To be fair, you said it was the biggest scam in the country and it was just political propaganda. You're kind of all over the place. Literally the same process as joining a church? Huh? Last time I checked, my tuition payments weren't voluntary. I've never been to a church that demanded payment to attend.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    We never experienced any of that bias, but my wife got a science education and mine was literature.
    It is not bias to say that Ann Coulture is an unrepentant liar who polarizes every issue in a communication class. It's the truth. Who on the left is her equal in those regards? Nobody.

The idea that truth must always be "unbiased" is a creation of conservatism to deal with the fact that so much of it's basis is refuted by objective data and reason.

Of course more professors are liberal, that only makes sense. You can't use objective, evidence based reasoning to argue against same-sex marriage, for religion, or for trickle-down economics.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    There is no such thing as public schooling anymore, those are now government indoctrination centers.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

There is no such thing as public schooling anymore, those are now government indoctrination centers.

:dizzy:

Seriously, that is ridiculous.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    edited November 2016
    unsung said:

I totally agree

Children should be home schooled by their parents where they can get an unbiased and objective education.
    The parents can teach the truth about the government
    That the government is out to control them
    About President Obama sending in his U.N. troops to take their guns.
    That The Jews control all of the world's financial systems.
    That man did not walk on the moon
    That Newtown was set up and implemented by the government
    The Bundys were framed
    And so was Tom Brady
    That there is no climate change
    9/11 was a government plot
    Etc etc etc