Wow MSG - WAKE UP!

Comments

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394

riley540 said:

The real crime is being on your phone at a live show

Way too much of this going on.
    Makes me miss pre smart phone days. Attended plenty of shows without technology and it everyone was focused on the band. I can only imagine being in one of the 90s pits.

Like who are you texting?? The guy next to me was on seamless and yelp. Phones for photos/video ONLY and even then it kind of pulls you from the moment.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • OK cool, so all of you that want people to post the set lists as the shows are going on, makes total sense for you to get on my case for texting an opinion on a message board, where people post opinions. Those who post set lists as the show go one clearly aren't using their phone, they must be telepathically doing it, or using Google glass.

This place continues to astound me.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614

Really guys? You people in the front are like watching a cemetery wake.

Are you sleeping? WAKE. UP.

Are you posting from the show?
    Exactly. Get off your phone. Let people do what they want.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,467
    I was upstairs for this show in 325, but the floor did at times look uninspired.

But its also a pretty mellow show until the encores, nothing really explodes. War Pigs was really the only song that the crowd could scream long with.
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    edited November 2016

OK cool, so all of you that want people to post the set lists as the shows are going on, makes total sense for you to get on my case for texting an opinion on a message board, where people post opinions. Those who post set lists as the show go one clearly aren't using their phone, they must be telepathically doing it, or using Google glass.

this guy has a point.

never heard anyone bitch about someone periscoping during the show.
    :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    triclops said:

The op was right. I was in section 119 and the crowd was dead. Loudest cheers of the night was when Chris said Eddie's name and when they started to play times of trouble thinking it was footsteps.

Section 119 was dead, felt so lifeless. I didn't care, I had a nice view of the stage and rocked out in my own way, thank you 10c
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• lolobugg said:

OK cool, so all of you that want people to post the set lists as the shows are going on, makes total sense for you to get on my case for texting an opinion on a message board, where people post opinions. Those who post set lists as the show go one clearly aren't using their phone, they must be telepathically doing it, or using Google glass.

this guy has a point.

I've yet to watch a periscope of a show. I could care less about people typing on their phones at a show. Or people taking pictures now and then.

But the people holding their phones up, usually right in other peoples view, recording nonstop song after song is very annoying.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192

lolobugg said:

this guy has a point.

I've yet to watch a periscope of a show. I could care less about people typing on their phones at a show. Or people taking pictures now and then.

But the people holding their phones up, usually right in other peoples view, recording nonstop song after song is very annoying.
    I agree with you about that.
    luckily its never happened to me or I would "politely" ask them to lower their damn phone.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Was 2003 the last PJ tour without cameras up all the time?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Was 2003 the last PJ tour without cameras up all the time?

iPhone came out in 2007, so 2006 tour was probably phone-less as well. People still held up flip phones though for some terrible pictures and video. I used to bring disposable cameras :lol:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    People are going to shit in me for this but Chris Cornell isn't a good frontman.

Don't get me wrong, solo he's awesome; however, I was almost falling asleep watching the guy just walk around stage in his giant overcoat. The crowd was dead and I was one of them.

This is just my opinion. Like I said, I'm sure a ton of people will disagree but even re-watching Cornell with Soundgarden and Audioslave, as a front man he's boring.

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,467
    Chris is really good, to me hes the 2nd best lead singer around...I had no idea the distance between 1 and 2.

Ive seen Chris dozens of times over the years, but never anywhere as big as MSG and your right. He just doesnt get the crowd going. In fact, I was on Mikes side and he did a better job if you ask me.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    SJD3232 said:

People are going to shit in me for this but Chris Cornell isn't a good frontman.

Don't get me wrong, solo he's awesome; however, I was almost falling asleep watching the guy just walk around stage in his giant overcoat. The crowd was dead and I was one of them.

This is just my opinion. Like I said, I'm sure a ton of people will disagree but even re-watching Cornell with Soundgarden and Audioslave, as a front man he's boring.

A little harsh but I agree with you about CC. But I don't hold it against him that he's not a preening rock star. He can sing as well as anyone and that's all that really matters to me. As far as the crowd.... I don't think it was dead as much as it wasn't a berserk PJ crowd.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    Slightly off topic... was that Cornell's first time playing MSG or was he there with sound garden?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited November 2016
    on2legs said:

SJD3232 said:

A little harsh but I agree with you about CC. But I don't hold it against him that he's not a preening rock star. He can sing as well as anyone and that's all that really matters to me. As far as the crowd.... I don't think it was dead as much as it wasn't a berserk PJ crowd.
    Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh - but, even McCready didn't seem into it
    Post edited by SJD3232 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    SJD3232 said:

on2legs said:

SJD3232 said:

say what?! mccready was absolutely shredding all night. How the heck is he supposed to get into those slow/bluesy songs?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

say what?! mccready was absolutely shredding all night. How the heck is he supposed to get into those slow/bluesy songs?

McCready killed it! Nothing against him I was just saying he wasn't as energized as much as he usually is. Nothing against him at all.
    SJD3232 said:

McCready killed it! Nothing against him I was just saying he wasn't as energized as much as he usually is. Nothing against him at all.

ohyeah I agree with that! He seemed very reserved for the first set but I think it was tough to get into some of those songs.
  • ski-bumski-bum Posts: 1,012

First mistake.
    Don't trash New Yorkers for being quit.
    Being from Boston, i know this.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • i get periscope and utube TOTALLY and for the people who don't TFB
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    on2legs said:

Slightly off topic... was that Cornell's first time playing MSG or was he there with sound garden?

Was thinking the same thing.. Maybe Audioslave?
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,328
    edited November 2016
    SJD3232 said:

on2legs said:

SJD3232 said:

MM was not as crazy as a PJ show but you have to remember this set takes a lot of focus from these musicians so it's hard to do what he does with PJ. I'm sure any musician on here can vouch for how difficult some of those songs are to play. He was locked in most of the time.
  • Second row section b dead center Da Kid was rocking out as well as the people in the front row and people behind
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • ski-bum said:

First mistake.
    Don't trash New Yorkers for being quit.
    Being from Boston, i know this.
    I have been to three concerts in NYC this year, at all three the crowds have lacked compared to other cities seeing the same bands. New Yorkers might be loud, but it isn't at their concerts.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    edited November 2016
    SJD3232 said:

Agree, he was a bit boring. At least his voice is still pristine. Can't say the same for Eddie... (lets the flames begin).

(edit: typo)

Second row section b dead center Da Kid was rocking out as well as the people in the front row and people behind

Did people in wheel chairs have first row? There seemed to be a bigger than usual gap between the seats and stage. If so, fucking awesome.
  • mr bungle said:

on2legs said:

Audioslave played MSG in 2005

And Soundgarden opened for GnR on the Use Your Illusion tour in 1991

• No wheelchairs were to the side by mike front row then barriers
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152

mr bungle said:

on2legs said:

Audioslave played MSG in 2005

And Soundgarden opened for GnR on the Use Your Illusion tour in 1991

I went to Audioslave and loved it. Can't believe that was over a decade ago!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

No wheelchairs were to the side by mike front row then barriers

Good info. Thank you.