I will tell ya what.........Eddies Unthought Known saved Backspacer

13»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited October 2016
    I don't like it. The lyrics are pretty bad and it's got that cheezy vibe that PJ seems to like now. It doesn't make Backspacer worse than it would have been without it, but it doesn't make it better either, IMO. It's just another piece of a bad album. It's not the worst piece though. Not even close.
    I really do wish I liked this album though. It is not enjoyable to dislike a PJ album. In fact, it's a little bit sad.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

I don't like it. The lyrics are pretty bad and it's got that cheezy vibe that PJ seems to like now. It doesn't make Backspacer worse than it would have been without it, but it doesn't make it better either, IMO. It's just another piece of a bad album. It's not the worst piece though. Not even close.
    I really do wish I liked this album though. It is not enjoyable to dislike a PJ album. In fact, it's a little bit sad.

I hear ya, sister.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403

mcgruff10 said:

pjpitt89 said:

I agree. I feel like Lightning Bolt is so similar to Unthought Known though. I'm starting to prefer LB more, and it makes me forget how great Unthought Known is.

Lightning Bolt is the same type of song. But it's a poor mans Unthought Known :)
    Lightning Bolt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Unthought Known
    yes!! lighting bolt is light years ahead of unthought known.
    the final verse/outro 'crashing stormy waves...' is amazing
    YES! that final verse/outro takes the song to new levels.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • and Speed of Sound ruins the back half ....

Like others have said tho if they used the demo this would have been an even better album
    Absolutely. If they had taken the direction of the demo, which had almost a Radiohead feel to it, the album would be way higher to me. The country direction was.....strange.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • I love this song. I would have it played at my funeral.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I pass on it. Like @PJ_Soul said, the lyrics are cheesy. I also find the music bland. As someone pointed out earlier, Lighting Bolt is actually very similar musically. Both try to be these big anthems and I'm not sure either of them comes close to succeeding.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141
    The GCF version of Unthought Known is easily the best of the 6 or so times I've seen it.
  • JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    PJ_Soul said:

NO WAY ........Unthought Known is the best song on there...........your nuts lol.........definitely put the album on the map
  • JP33 said:

my2hands said:

wish they would swap it out once in a while for Force of Nature

That's another one............Great music Mike did
    Me too! Would love to hear Force of Nature live someday!
    "A beacon on dry land"

JP33 said:

my2hands said:

Me too! Would love to hear Force of Nature live someday!</blockquo
    I heard it in Cleveland in 2010
    JP33 said:

JP33 said:

my2hands said:

but they did not play Betterman.......lol............that is a must song for every show
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2016
    Cheesy lyrics or vibe? This song does not have cheesy lyrics....
    Here is cheesy lyrics and vibe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • JP33 said:

JP33 said:

my2hands said:

You are very lucky!
    "A beacon on dry land"

JP33 said:

JP33 said:

my2hands said:

You are very lucky!
    I just feel lucky talking to you guys

Cheesy lyrics or vibe? This song does not have cheesy lyrics....

Its good sister
  • It is one of my all time favorites.
    JP33 said:

amazing song

It is one of my all time favorites.

JP33 said:

amazing song

No I

mcgruff10 said:

pjpitt89 said:

I agree. I feel like Lightning Bolt is so similar to Unthought Known though. I'm starting to prefer LB more, and it makes me forget how great Unthought Known is.

Lightning Bolt is the same type of song. But it's a poor mans Unthought Known :)
    yes!! lighting bolt is light years ahead of unthought known.
    NO WAY .......Unthought Known is way better than Lightning Bolt.........even though I also love Lightning Bolt
  • UK took awhile for the less hardcore fans to appreciate - just like the sudden rush of BS listeners all of a sudden who appreciate the album since they dusted it off after it has been kept alive on the forum.
    LB is a fantastic song and will take years again for the casual listeners to appreciate it.
    BS vinyl and the artwork is incredible.
    BS what an album!
    In particular UK.
    "GEMS AND RHINESTONES"

Kill me
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980

I pass on it. Like @PJ_Soul said, the lyrics are cheesy. I also find the music bland. As someone pointed out earlier, Lighting Bolt is actually very similar musically. Both try to be these big anthems and I'm not sure either of them comes close to succeeding.

The major difference between unthought known and lightning bolt is that UK is a great song and LB is mediocre at best. LB is some major cheese and needs to be moved out of the rotation.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• This is a song about love gone good:

Riding high amongst the waves.

Eesh. PJ does love songs.

Unthought Known okay. Just okay. Listenable- unlike some other songs on BS.

BS is not representative of the band I grew to love. I accept the challenges a band like this must face with regards to writing and as such can appreciate BS much like I appreciate my children's art work back when they used to bring it home.

But as a stand alone... without any context... not fantastic. Let's get serious.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Cheesy lyrics or vibe? This song does not have cheesy lyrics....

Oh yeah, right.... nothing can be cheesy from Pearl Jam because Rebecka Black exist...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjpitt89 said:

Oh, this makes me really happy. Don't agree but cool.

(Force of Nature trumps both though)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Whats wrong with a band openly writing accessible tunes? for me i found BS to be such an upbeat, positive change to Avocado. Besides Johnny Guitar and Supersonic its a terrific collection of tunes. Much better percentage than a lot of other PJ albums IMO.

Give me The Fixer, Just breathe, the end, Amongst, Unthought, etc over anything else post 2000 by the band. Love this album
    /\

"Wrong" - Donald J. Trump