I will tell ya what.........Eddies Unthought Known saved Backspacer

Comments

• I just listened to BS yesterday. Love that record. Didn't at first, but it grew on me.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,640

I just listened to BS yesterday. Love that record. Didn't at first, but it grew on me.

I haven't got there with BS yet. It took Riot Act years to grow on me, it's one of my favorites now.

I think I'll have a hard time with BS...The End, Just Breathe....eh
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • I just listened to BS yesterday. Love that record. Didn't at first, but it grew on me.

I haven't got there with BS yet. It took Riot Act years to grow on me, it's one of my favorites now.

Don't forget about Johnny Guitar. No... wait... do forget.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • As a side...

Remember when they unleashed 'Ole'? That one disappeared. I'll never forget Ed screaming it in the face of those people in Vancouver that weren't digging it. Sure glad I wasn't on the rail- he would have been screaming at me.

"Wtf is wrong with you assholes? Why don't you rock out to this sick song? It's awesome isn't it? Ole!"

Yeesh.
  • AceCoolAceCool Posts: 455

I just listened to BS yesterday. Love that record. Didn't at first, but it grew on me.

Riot Act was like single malt scotch and uni (sea urchin) sushi for me. It was a long and slowly acquired taste that I now love.
  • As a side...

Remember when they unleashed 'Ole'? That one disappeared. I'll never forget Ed screaming it in the face of those people in Vancouver that weren't digging it. Sure glad I wasn't on the rail- he would have been screaming at me.

"Wtf is wrong with you assholes? Why don't you rock out to this sick song? It's awesome isn't it? Ole!"

Yeesh.

he didn't really say that, did he? I gotta admit, while the lyrics are sub par, I think the actual music to Ole is awesome. I loved hearing it live. I think there is a reason, though, why they gave it away.

www.headstonesband.com

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,640
    AceCool said:

Riot Act was like single malt scotch and uni (sea urchin) sushi for me. It was a long and slowly acquired taste that I now love.
    I caught Half full in Lexington this year. I wish they played more binaural/riot act/avocado tracks
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • As a side...

Yeesh.

he didn't really say that, did he? I gotta admit, while the lyrics are sub par, I think the actual music to Ole is awesome. I loved hearing it live. I think there is a reason, though, why they gave it away.
    No. I was paraphrasing with some artistic liberties.

He actually didn't say anything but other than scream the lyrics at the folks with a face contorted in anger.
  • As a side...

Yeesh.

He actually didn't say anything but other than scream the lyrics at the folks with a face contorted in anger.
    ah, haha. well, people want angry ed back. they got it. they just didn't know he'd be angry at THEM. HAHA.

aren't seattle and vancouver crowds notorious for being horrible to pj?

www.headstonesband.com

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810

AceCool said:

I caught Half full in Lexington this year. I wish they played more binaural/riot act/avocado tracks
    Half full!!! I almost locked eyes with Jeff. I just happened to jump at the right time and caught his attention haha but im too short so I dropped fast! Anyway, I was getting down all nite and twice I was in my own world and looked up and Ed was right in front of me! I missed him both times lmao. Idiot!!

Had sooooo much fun in KY! Education!

I do like thought unknown but truth be told that song did not save the album. unknown thought? Unthought known why cant I figure this out :lol:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • As a side...

Yeesh.

ah, haha. well, people want angry ed back. they got it. they just didn't know he'd be angry at THEM. HAHA.

Vancouver is notorious for being great to them.

Seattle not so much.

I was at the Vancouver show where Ed claimed he'd like to move to Vancouver... except then Van would probably turn to a 'shit crowd' too so maybe not. Funny thing is... I was at the Seattle show (night 2) right before the Van show and kinda though the same thing- people were streaming out the moment the main set ended.

PJ hasn't shown much love to the west coast in recent times. It would have been nice if they did their big east coast show (Fenway), midwest show (Chicago), and then a 2 or 3 night stop at the Gorge for the western folk. Oh well. Maybe 2019 or so.
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    pjalive21 said:

the more i think about Backspacer the more i realize how upbeat of an album this was minus a couple songs...every time I listen its an instant mood changer

This!
  • As a side...

Yeesh.

Seattle not so much.

I was at the Vancouver show where Ed claimed he'd like to move to Vancouver... except then Van would probably turn to a 'shit crowd' too so maybe not. Funny thing is... I was at the Seattle show (night 2) right before the Van show and kinda though the same thing- people were streaming out the moment the main set ended.

PJ hasn't shown much love to the west coast in recent times. It would have been nice if they did their big east coast show (Fenway), midwest show (Chicago), and then a 2 or 3 night stop at the Gorge for the western folk. Oh well. Maybe 2019 or so.
    oh, i thought van crowds were apathetic. maybe i'm remembering wrong because of the one show he was yelling at people. either way, if i lived in van, i would have seen them more then 5 times in my life, that's for damn sure.

www.headstonesband.com

• As a side...

Yeesh.

Seattle not so much.

oh, i thought van crowds were apathetic. maybe i'm remembering wrong because of the one show he was yelling at people. either way, if i lived in van, i would have seen them more then 5 times in my life, that's for damn sure.
    Don't forget that you wouldn't have been so damn cold every winter either!
  • there's that too. but also the sun. that pesky sun in my eyes in winnipeg.

www.headstonesband.com

• there's that too. but also the sun. that pesky sun in my eyes in winnipeg.

Gotta get yourself some 10C sunglasses. Limited edition variety.

Sunglasses are meant to be worn. Not sitting in their case on a shelf.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    DM282158 said:

my2hands said:

wish they would swap it out once in a while for Force of Nature

Such an under played and underrated song
    The writing and the live delivery on that one are a real gut punch. Wish we got it more.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • DM282158 said:

he's my favorite live version - it was sweet to be there.

https://youtu.be/kMR5mOELe1s

This version sold me on the song. Took until GCF for me to love it.
    It is unfathomable how any brain can not like this song.
  • and Speed of Sound ruins the back half ....

Completely disagree. Solid album throughout
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16

Been to two funerals for people younger than me the last year and a half. I love both these songs.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • pjpitt89 said:

I agree. I feel like Lightning Bolt is so similar to Unthought Known though. I'm starting to prefer LB more, and it makes me forget how great Unthought Known is.

Lightning Bolt is the same type of song. But it's a poor mans Unthought Known :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjpitt89 said:

I agree. I feel like Lightning Bolt is so similar to Unthought Known though. I'm starting to prefer LB more, and it makes me forget how great Unthought Known is.

Lightning Bolt is the same type of song. But it's a poor mans Unthought Known :)
    Lightning Bolt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Unthought Known
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403

pjpitt89 said:

yes!! lighting bolt is light years ahead of unthought known.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:

pjpitt89 said:

the final verse/outro 'crashing stormy waves...' is amazing
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,905
    Always thought of Amongst The Waves as the glue that holds Backspacer together.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • mcgruff10 said:

pjpitt89 said:

the final verse/outro 'crashing stormy waves...' is amazing
    nuff said.

• 100 Pacer said:

Always thought of Amongst The Waves as the glue that holds Backspacer together.

Got that right.
    Anyone w/ no appreciation of Backspacer likely has not sat down and listened to it w/ out talking.
  • Johnny Guitar...

Come on, man.

BS was something I jumped into, but it had no holding power. People are talking of albums and the test of time... this one fails it for me. I never play it and there are no songs from it on any of my PJ playlists.

Lightning Bolt is better to me, but if we're being honest... they are far cries from PJ's best pieces of work. Still respectable, but it's not even close.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    BS is a top five PJ album for me easily.