Options

Have you ever changed your mind about a political topic?

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Free said:

unsung said:

You've probably not watched a lot of debates.

It's as simple as giving one person speaking time and the others little to none.

That's IF the moderator can get the candidates to listen to him.
    Good point...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited October 2016
    tonifig8 said:

Free said:

I used to be OK with Democrats and democratic thinking. Until this last six months. They are no different than Republicans and their dirty tricks, maneuvers and corruption.

This my ninja!! It started to happen for me a few years back. Now I'm completely liberated! Feels amazing to be free! :)

I remember telling myself that I would have a tough choice on who to vote for if the nominee would have been Ron Paul vs Obama.
    I Would pay $100 to watch those two ninjas go head to head in a debate/conversation. Where the hell is Don King to make this happen!
    I used to be a Kucinich supporter, he was pro peace, pro people. Although he was not a good debator, his ideas were progressive Dem. The last Dem I supported.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

It's as simple as giving one person speaking time and the others little to none.

Well that certainly wasn't a factor for Trump in the first debate.
    Why do people keep bring Trump into any conversation with unsung, has he ever thrown his support behind Trump? Just curious, or should he also be spending as much time criticizing Trump?
    He mentioned the last moderator... was that not reference to the first presidential debate? And since Hillary won that by a landslide, the next logical assumption would have to be that Trump was the one who was supposedly victim to a biased moderator.
    I am aware that unsung is not voting.
    Personally...I don't see the point in discussing Trump, if he wins it'll be a complete accident...

And I don't see him even coming close...

Any polls that show him close will probably will likely be proven wrong and that he really wasn't even close, these polls and pollsters have an agenda as well?

So I think for some of us we might as well focus our attention on the winner...
    I hope you're right... I really don't know. A lot of the American voters have apparently lost their minds, so I'm not about to put any money on them not doing something crazy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Why do people keep bring Trump into any conversation with unsung, has he ever thrown his support behind Trump? Just curious, or should he also be spending as much time criticizing Trump?
    He mentioned the last moderator... was that not reference to the first presidential debate? And since Hillary won that by a landslide, the next logical assumption would have to be that Trump was the one who was supposedly victim to a biased moderator.
    Personally...I don't see the point in discussing Trump, if he wins it'll be a complete accident...

Any polls that show him close will probably will likely be proven wrong and that he really wasn't even close, these polls and pollsters have an agenda as well?

I hope you're right... I really don't know. A lot of the American voters have apparently lost their minds, so I'm not about to put any money on them not doing something crazy.
    Either way, whoever they ultimately elect will prove their system is broken.

Americans are the real losers here, as the most of the world will be, listening to her foe another fou years, oh boy...

And I'm sure PM sunny ways will invite her to speak before parliament, just like inviting her predecessor...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Free said:

unsung said:

That's IF the moderator can get the candidates to listen to him.
    A prepared candidate can take as much time as he/she needs and talk about whatever he/she wants to talk about.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Either way, whoever they ultimately elect will prove their system is broken.

Americans are the real losers here, as the most of the world will be, listening to her foe another fou years, oh boy...

And I'm sure PM sunny ways will invite her to speak before parliament, just like inviting her predecessor...
    Why wouldn't the Canadian PM invite the US Prez, no matter what? You expect the Cdn PM to make an enemy of the leader of the free world?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The US president is not the leader of the free world.

And I would have no problem if our PM stood up to the US, absolutely none...

Sorry, countries can and do thrive without the approval of the US president...

And I no longer want war mongers speaking to parliament in my country,

Why isn't Putin invited, the leader of China and on and on...

• Options
    edited October 2016
    lukin2006 said:

Whatever way you want to put it. America is Canada's #2 ally after Britain, and it is Canada's #1 trading partner and we share the longest border on the face of the planet. Some countries might thrive without a close relationship with the US, but Canada can't, and I can't believe you are implying that that is a possibility .... Are you seriously asking this question? Why do you think Putin isn't invited?? Because Russia isn't an ally. China? Ummm, Trudeau just went to China on a huge foreign relations tour. This time around it was China who threw the dinners (and I don't approve of that, as someone who thinks everyone should apply economic sanctions on China until they straighten out their human rights and freedom of speech problem).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Whatever way you want to put it. America is Canada's #2 ally after Britain, and it is Canada's #1 trading partner and we share the longest border on the face of the planet. Some countries might thrive without a close relationship with the US, but Canada can't, and I can't believe you are implying that that is a possibility .... Are you seriously asking this question? Why do you think Putin isn't invited?? Because Russia isn't an ally. China? Ummm, Trudeau just went to China on a huge foreign relations tour. This time around it was China who threw the dinners (and I don't approve of that, as someone who thinks everyone should apply economic sanctions on China until they straighten out their human rights and freedom of speech problem).
    Who said you can't be allies and friends and still disapprove of their said actions?

As for Russia and China, I said it...So?

Then are you willing to apply those same sanctions that you want applied to China to all countries that behave inappropriately in your views?

Saudi Arabia? We sell weapons to them?

The Middle East in general? And many more countries?

How can you take the US serious?

No political prisoners in the US? How many drug users are in prison in the US? Have been arrested and convicted who are just users?

IF, and that's a big IF, when marijuana is legalized in Canada (a drug made illegal because of politics and money) let me know how quickly you cross into the states? If you don't think the US is trying to sway our PM's decision. If the liberals do follow through and legalize it then they'll gain some support from me, until then I now believe the US negative influence and some out dated treaties will prevent the legalization of the fine herb.

But I'm not stopping you or anyone from admiring the USA...the land of the free.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I don't know who said that, but it wasn't me.

What you're ignoring is the Canada/US relationship that DOES EXIST. If you're trying to have a conversation about how they shouldn't and what that would look like, start that conversation, but it's not the one I thought I was having. But you basically said that Trudeau would 'commit the sin' of inviting the new POTUS to Canada as though that wasn't reasonable. And that's what I was talking about. Obviously it is very reasonable because the US is indeed one of Canada's closest allies.

And yes, I think Saudi Arabia and many other Middle Eastern countries, Israel included, should be subject to the same kind of economic sanctions because of their atrocious human rights violations, and no, I don't think you can lump the USA in with those countries at all, DESPITE all the many issues the US does have. You have to draw the line somewhere unless you want to live in a nation that adheres to complete isolationism, and I don't. Do you?? Are you suggesting Canada would be well off if it applied economic sanctions against a country with which is shares a trade agreement and a border and who we have as the greatest military power on Earth as an ally? Remember, we're talking about the real world here, not your fantasies.

And really? Have you ever read a single one of my posts ever? Apparently not, if you think what I'm saying amounts to "admiring the USA... the land of the free" in the context that you snidely put it.

As for the US/Canada pot legalization thing... that depends, but the US is currently ahead of Canada in that realm, so why are you seemingly paranoid about that?
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited October 2016
    I would have automatically opposed the legalisation of drugs until I actually thought about it. Now I can see an argument for legalising all drugs. The libertarian argument that you should be free to fuck up your own life is quite a compelling one.

I also automatically opposed the wearing of the hijab. Again, on the grounds of personal freedom, I now see no reason to object to it in cases where it is an individual's freely taken choice to wear it
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Gahhhh. Couldnt get too far into this thread. Think it started out as a great idea but quickly turned into an opportunity for people to say Dem or Repub.

Anyone who has never changed their mind would seem to have a pretty closed mind. ('Ever' is a long time!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

What you're ignoring is the Canada/US relationship that DOES EXIST. If you're trying to have a conversation about how they shouldn't and what that would look like, start that conversation, but it's not the one I thought I was having. But you basically said that Trudeau would 'commit the sin' of inviting the new POTUS to Canada as though that wasn't reasonable. And that's what I was talking about. Obviously it is very reasonable because the US is indeed one of Canada's closest allies.

And yes, I think Saudi Arabia and many other Middle Eastern countries, Israel included, should be subject to the same kind of economic sanctions because of their atrocious human rights violations, and no, I don't think you can lump the USA in with those countries at all, DESPITE all the many issues the US does have. You have to draw the line somewhere unless you want to live in a nation that adheres to complete isolationism, and I don't. Do you?? Are you suggesting Canada would be well off if it applied economic sanctions against a country with which is shares a trade agreement and a border and who we have as the greatest military power on Earth as an ally? Remember, we're talking about the real world here, not your fantasies.

And really? Have you ever read a single one of my posts ever? Apparently not, if you think what I'm saying amounts to "admiring the USA... the land of the free" in the context that you snidely put it.

As for the US/Canada pot legalization thing... that depends, but the US is currently ahead of Canada in that realm, so why are you seemingly paranoid about that?

PJ_Soul said:

I'm not ignoring our relationship...

I will strongly disagree about the US being ahead of us in pot legalization, a few states have legalized...not all states have even legalized it for medical use. It's also still listed on the schedule 1 of the controlled substance act.

Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_cannabis_from_Schedule_I_of_the_Controlled_Substances_Act

And what kind of government lets the DEA decide what can and can not be used for medical purpose, kind of a conflict of interest, especially considering there is more and more research coming online that shows it's health benefits. So not need for the dumb ass politicians to ask the DEA.

In Canada it's essentially legal if a dr issue a script, you can get a script pretty easily now, it's not the best solution but definitely a start. I think in Canada you'd be really unlucky if you come across a cop who would hassle you for toking, not sure that can be said about the US? And even unluckier if a judge would ever convict a person for simple possession, I'm sure it's happening, just not often and to a very unlucky person who just happens to come across a cop, crown attorney and judge to proceed with said type of case, not so sure the same can be said about the US.

And pretty sure our customs wouldn't ban someone for admitting they dabbled in weed...

Have you ever smoked weed? Answer this question and you could be banned from the U.S.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pot-border-banned-waiver-1.3752278

Banning Canadians from U.S. for life for smoking pot 'ludicrous,' says Goodale
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ludicrous-pot-border-goodale-1.3754315

And this is not the only time these incidents have been reported upon, and these are just the people that go to the media...

I guess we will just have to agree too disagree on this topic. The land of the free comment was not directed at you, just sarcasm, not directed at anyone...
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Who said you can't be allies and friends and still disapprove of their said actions?

Then are you willing to apply those same sanctions that you want applied to China to all countries that behave inappropriately in your views?

No political prisoners in the US? How many drug users are in prison in the US? Have been arrested and convicted who are just users?

IF, and that's a big IF, when marijuana is legalized in Canada (a drug made illegal because of politics and money) let me know how quickly you cross into the states? If you don't think the US is trying to sway our PM's decision. If the liberals do follow through and legalize it then they'll gain some support from me, until then I now believe the US negative influence and some out dated treaties will prevent the legalization of the fine herb.

But I'm not stopping you or anyone from admiring the USA...the land of the free.
    My reaction to all this is, well some of us were born here in the U.S. and therefor are U.S. citizen but that doesn't mean we're all those things you say are the USA. Most of us don't have anything to do with or know anyone who supports selling arms to other countries or starting a war in the middle east. That was done by the members of the Club and some of your leaders belong to The Club. I don't. Do you?

And really, isn't this putting down a country really unrealistic anyway. For example, the policies of North Korea, most of us would agree, verge on insanity and horror. Reason to hate North Korea? No, why? Most North Koreans are powerless peasants trying to stay alive. They aren't "North Korea".

I mean, look, I could ask you if you are responsible for trashing Alberta with all that tar sand nonsense. But I'm pretty sure you don't have much say in that, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    I used to believe in gravity, but science over time changed my mind.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

My reaction to all this is, well some of us were born here in the U.S. and therefor are U.S. citizen but that doesn't mean we're all those things you say are the USA. Most of us don't have anything to do with or know anyone who supports selling arms to other countries or starting a war in the middle east. That was done by the members of the Club and some of your leaders belong to The Club. I don't. Do you?

And really, isn't this putting down a country really unrealistic anyway. For example, the policies of North Korea, most of us would agree, verge on insanity and horror. Reason to hate North Korea? No, why? Most North Koreans are powerless peasants trying to stay alive. They aren't "North Korea".

I mean, look, I could ask you if you are responsible for trashing Alberta with all that tar sand nonsense. But I'm pretty sure you don't have much say in that, right?
    I'm sorry you feel a post/exchange betwwen pj soul and I is trashing your country, but this is incorrect...this exchange was me critiquing our (Canada's) foreign policy toward the US. I know most Americans have very little say in foreign policy, just like us...

Which is typically why I see voting as a waste of time, we elect our dictators...I truly believe this. Once the election is over they do as they want, every politician lies....

And Alberta isn't totally trashed, actually some good things are happening their, they got some gorgeous national parks, beautiful provincial parks, I believe the first province/state to introduce 15 dollar minimum wage, emissions at the tars sands have been capped, a carbon tax coming online in 2017 (despite a recession) and my favourite low population...and I'm sure many more good and I'm sure people will gladly tell me I'm wrong about those good things, or they don't go far enough with tar sands. I'm not really interested in debating the tar sands, I do not know enough about the region except it is Canada's worst carbon emitter, which is probably all I need to know.

Oh our PM has issued an ultimatum to the provinces and territories that they must have either a carbon tax or cap n trade by 2018 or he will impose said system in those regions that don't impose one (revenue neutral).

Now you don't really want me to get into your countries environmental record, do you? Has your current POTUS promised to impose such a system on those states that don't have a cap n trade or carbon tax system? People can critique your foreign policy all they want, whether it offends you or not.

Please feel free to correct me on any issue regarding foreign policy of your country and your POTUS, I'm not an admirer of your president, it takes more than a good speaker to impress me and fancy law degree to impress me...impress me by admitting that continuing failed Middle East policies can't continue, give back that Nobel peace prize (shaking head)...

Also I criticize my politicians just as harshly ... however I am glad that our current PM withdrew our fighters jets from the Middle East and is moving Canada towards peace keeping.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I just don't understand what possible benefit you are imagining would come from Canada diminishing its ties with the US. What exactly do you think Canada would get out of doing that in the long run?? In realistic terms, not fantasy terms.
  • Options
    ^^^ so where have I said diminish our ties with the US? Pointless discussing this as are most things here unless you agree with the masses here...have a nice day.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^ so where have I said diminish our ties with the US? Pointless discussing this as are most things here unless you agree with the masses here...have a nice day.

?? What do you mean? If you weren't talking about backing away from close ties with the US, what have you been talking about? And what's with the insult? How do you figure it's pointless while you are in the middle of discussing it with someone who is clearly interested and asking for more of your thoughts on the subject?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

?? What do you mean? If you weren't talking about backing away from close ties with the US, what have you been talking about? And what's with the insult? How do you figure it's pointless while you are in the middle of discussing it with someone who is clearly interested and asking for more of your thoughts on the subject?
    Why don't you just move on?

Who is asking my thoughts?

We're stuck with America because of geography? As a country we do not have to agree or support their foreign policy which is destructive...

The US to allow Canadian Steel In Construction of International Crossing
    https://buildthedricnow.com/2012/12/13/u-s-allows-use-of-canadian-steel-in-new-international-trade-crossing/

And trade...^^^ is this the type of action you'd expect from a so called ally, making us get a waiver for a protectionist move... Oh, by the way the Canadian government is footing the entire bill including paying for their custom plaza, that's fucked up to me, in many ways...this crossing will benefit them far more than Ontario, manufacturing is not exactley booming in Ontario, a little is coming back. Also many of them trucks currently use the older crossing as a short cut into NY, polluting and adding to congestion here, ban those trucks that paper work show no delivery stops in Canada, how quick do you think before they'd wave the free trade agreement in our face, yeah our friends. Pass a law like their current POTUS did back then requiring federal and provincial infrastructure structure moneyto go to Canadian companies, see how quick they drag NAFTA out, yes free trade is great!!! I know someone who had the cleaning contracts for the construction trailers for a wind energy company, they were Americans ... wonder what would have happened if we insisted Canadians must be employed, I'll let you figure it out. I would like us to leave NAFTA., just as I hope this TPP and EU trade deal fall apart. I'm not advocating a trade war, but we can hit back with minimal effects on our economy.

And truthfully why is our PM moving us closer to China? Does he recognize you have to get in bed with the devil to advance our economy? That's what I think, and you have a problem with China? Human rights? You see that's where you and I strongly disagree, when we clean up our mess with aboriginals in our own country then I'm not really sure why you think we can place economic sanctions on human rights violators, the difference between you and me is the degree of the violation.

I felt the same way when in Australia at the G whatever bullshit summit and Harper told Russia they need to get out of the Ukraine. Russia would have had every right questioning Harper about living on stolen land and the poor treatment of our aboriginals.

You honestly don't see the hypocrisy? The west is telling Russia to leave the Ukraine, yet the west is knee deep in a shit storm in the Middle East...

Anyways I gave you some of my thoughts on the subject, I just don't draw distinctions in degree of human right violations...

And I don't believe the US is much of friend to us or anyone...
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    edited October 2016
    If you think there is no difference between Canada and, say, Saudi Arabia or China when it comes to rights and freedoms, then you're living in la-la land. That obviously doesn't mean I don't acknowledge all the issue that both Canada and the US have (obviously). But I still thank my lucky stars that I was fortunate enough to be born here in Canada and not in the Middle East or China.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

If you think there is no difference between Canada and, say, Saudi Arabia or China when it comes to rights and freedoms, then you're living in la-la land. That obviously doesn't mean I don't acknowledge all the issue that both Canada and the US have (obviously). But I still thank my lucky starts that I was fortunate enough to be born here in Canada and not in the Middle East or China.

I said the degree of violations vary, of course the aboriginals can speak their mind in Canada and often do, people in china and Saudi Arabia can't...here we let the tv cameras in film the ridiculous conditions, let the tell us about the sad conditions...then a few politicians show up and then leave and nothing changes.

Unlike you I have no problem criticizing our human rights record as well.

Have a nice day, no need to reply, pointless discussing anything with you unless total agreement.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    You said "I just don't draw distinctions in degree of human right violations..." Now you're saying you said the degree of violations vary? Okay, lol.

Unlike me?? I have no problem criticizing anything that deserves criticism either, including certain situations involving Natives in Canada (although that is a very, very complicated subject with a whole lot of factors to consider both in and out of the federal or provincial governments - not nearly as cut and dry as governments restricting basic freedoms). It's almost like you veered off into a totally different topic altogether actually. Anyway, do not accuse me of "having a problem criticizing Canada" when that is blatantly untrue.

Boy, you sure have a thin skin lately!! So funny that you say shit like your last sentence, when you're the one bailing from the conversation! Don't you think I could say the exact same thing about you? Except I'm willing to talk it out, and you're not. What exactly were you expecting from me so that there would be a point to discussing this with me? For me to be in total agreement with you, or...??? What's this bullshit about me needing total agreement? I am totally open to discussing things - agreement or disagreement are irrelevant unless your goal is to prove to me that you're right and that I should agree with you. If that is what you want for there to be a point to the conversation, then yeah, it's pointless. Otherwise, I have no idea what bee is in your bonnet.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You said "I just don't draw distinctions in degree of human right violations..." Now you're saying you said the degree of violations vary? Okay, lol.

Unlike me?? I have no problem criticizing anything that deserves criticism either, including certain situations involving Natives in Canada (although that is a very, very complicated subject with a whole lot of factors to consider both in and out of the federal or provincial governments - not nearly as cut and dry as governments restricting basic freedoms). It's almost like you veered off into a totally different topic altogether actually. Anyway, do not accuse me of "having a problem criticizing Canada" when that is blatantly untrue.

Boy, you sure have a thin skin lately!! So funny that you say shit like your last sentence, when you're the one bailing from the conversation! Don't you think I could say the exact same thing about you? Except I'm willing to talk it out, and you're not. What exactly were you expecting from me so that there would be a point to discussing this with me? For me to be in total agreement with you, or...??? What's this bullshit about me needing total agreement? I am totally open to discussing things - agreement or disagreement are irrelevant unless your goal is to prove to me that you're right and that I should agree with you. If that is what you want for there to be a point to the conversation, then yeah, it's pointless. Otherwise, I have no idea what bee is in your bonnet.

Just agree to disagree at this point...and believe at this point it's not worth discussing with anyways, I have 0 power to change anything that the government does or doesn't do. Have a nice evening...

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    Smellyman said:

I just on the ceiling laughing!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Smellyman said:

I used to believe in Gravity, but republicans, over time, convinced me I don't have to believe in science.
  • Options
    I initially thought Trump was an awful candidate/person, but I have changed my mind and I now think he is the worst candidate/person.
  • Options

I initially thought Trump was an awful candidate/person, but I have changed my mind and I now think he is the worst candidate/person.

Serious question:

Would you prefer Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, or Donald Trump as the President of the United States?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I used to be against the decriminalization of drugs but now I believe all drugs should be legal.

I used to believe that voting should be mandatory but now believe that it should not be forced on people
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Serious question:

Would you prefer Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, or Donald Trump as the President of the United States?
    Homer Simpson
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?