Options

A "protester" shot another "protester"... can we please stop calling them "Protesters"?

124»

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

Maybe its time to switch to powder then?

I have a hard time believing some white people sat around thinking "how can we keep the blacks down some more? I got it, don't they use powder cocaine more? There's the answer then, make stiffer punishments for using crack, that'll solve it!"

Within 2 minutes of a google search I found multiple sources that discuss the difference between powder and crack, all saying how much more dangerous and addictive crack is vs powder. That seems to me like a much more likely reason to offer stiffer punishments than based on who uses it. And in fact they are not the same from what I read.

"Smoked cocaine, or crack cocaine, takes about 20 seconds to reach the brain, and its effects last for about 30 minutes. According to a study published in the US National Library of Medicine, there is a greater propensity for dependence when cocaine is smoked rather than snorted. The immediacy, duration, and magnitude of the effects of crack contribute to this fact."

http://cocaine.org/the-difference-between-powder-cocaine-and-crack-cocaine/

And you are also willing to ignore the fact that blacks have more repeat offenders (a fact I've seen used to explain why our judicial system is racist by the way, claiming those repeat offender laws were made to keep black people down too. Similar to your claim, which just doesn't seem logical to me) and the fact that more blacks are in poverty and therefore rely on public defenders more and as a result get bad representation. It comes down to the crack vs powder law?

Hahaha apparently you have a very weak imagination.
    Do you also have a hard time imagining that white people would develop a set of laws and practices that would keep black people subordinated for generations, or have you heard of Jim Crow in your travels through life?
    Jim crow was beat more than 40 years ago. are we still thinking jim crow has a direct impact on people's lives today?
    I mean I'm irish and my ancestors were treated like dog shit in the usa for a long time. can I still use this as an excuse if something doesn't go my way?
    No, because Irish people aren't still suffering from that. You can't say it because it's not a reality for you.
    and people are not suffering in 2016 because of jim crow.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,618
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

I have a hard time believing some white people sat around thinking "how can we keep the blacks down some more? I got it, don't they use powder cocaine more? There's the answer then, make stiffer punishments for using crack, that'll solve it!"

Within 2 minutes of a google search I found multiple sources that discuss the difference between powder and crack, all saying how much more dangerous and addictive crack is vs powder. That seems to me like a much more likely reason to offer stiffer punishments than based on who uses it. And in fact they are not the same from what I read.

"Smoked cocaine, or crack cocaine, takes about 20 seconds to reach the brain, and its effects last for about 30 minutes. According to a study published in the US National Library of Medicine, there is a greater propensity for dependence when cocaine is smoked rather than snorted. The immediacy, duration, and magnitude of the effects of crack contribute to this fact."

And you are also willing to ignore the fact that blacks have more repeat offenders (a fact I've seen used to explain why our judicial system is racist by the way, claiming those repeat offender laws were made to keep black people down too. Similar to your claim, which just doesn't seem logical to me) and the fact that more blacks are in poverty and therefore rely on public defenders more and as a result get bad representation. It comes down to the crack vs powder law?

Do you also have a hard time imagining that white people would develop a set of laws and practices that would keep black people subordinated for generations, or have you heard of Jim Crow in your travels through life?
    Jim crow was beat more than 40 years ago. are we still thinking jim crow has a direct impact on people's lives today?
    I mean I'm irish and my ancestors were treated like dog shit in the usa for a long time. can I still use this as an excuse if something doesn't go my way?
    No, because Irish people aren't still suffering from that. You can't say it because it's not a reality for you.
    Many people think they are, or at least suffering from the results of Jim Crow. I think there is a lot evidence to demonstrate this (and focusing on some crack vs coke law isn't going to bring much to light).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

Would have been my reply if I read it sooner. No one will deny for a very long time blacks were treated very unfairly in this country, and that's putting it politely. I haven't looked it up but I'm guessing drug laws on crack were made much more recently than that.

I just have to ask myself which seems more plausible? Crack laws were written to keep blacks down, or because it's more dangerous and addictive? I would have the latter.

I very easily found several sources that stated crack was worse. Even if that research is wrong, wouldn't the one thing everyone could agree on on every thread is that the government tends to make decisions on misinformation?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

Many people think they are, or at least suffering from the results of Jim Crow. I think there is a lot evidence to demonstrate this (and focusing on some crack vs coke law isn't going to bring much to light).
    I love vague words like "many" lol. I mean Jim Crow laws separated the races in public places starting before plessy. but you are telling me 40 years later people that weren't even born are still suffering the results of jim crow?
    In new jersey millions upon million of dollars are poured into "abbott' school districts to help out these poor communities but you know what, nothing really has changed (I went to an abbott school district). so what is the problem? why isn't there success? it seems like every opportunity is out there for people that need it but they don't take advantage of it for some reason.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,667

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

If there's evidence that disproves white privilege, then bring it up for discussion.

I've never denied it exists.

I've also pointed out the failings of individuals within the black community who have failed to exercise strong values and have made very poor decisions (acknowledging at the same time the challenges they face when doing so).

You have most certainly trumpeted the white privilege issue (opportunistic as you have been yourself within it no less)... yet made excuses for these 'failings' I speak of as if those people are simply incapable of exercising decency or responsibility.
    When have we made excuses? Please stop making shit up.
    No kidding. Who was making excuses? And I'm also well aware of my own white privilege, which I've incorporated into my position.
    So white privelage is exactly what? Having successful parents to help you along the way?
    It's simple. It's working hard to be successful within the boundaries of societies laws and standards while not looking for handouts and shortcuts.
    Whites have been given handouts and shortcuts.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

If there's evidence that disproves white privilege, then bring it up for discussion.

I've also pointed out the failings of individuals within the black community who have failed to exercise strong values and have made very poor decisions (acknowledging at the same time the challenges they face when doing so).

You have most certainly trumpeted the white privilege issue (opportunistic as you have been yourself within it no less)... yet made excuses for these 'failings' I speak of as if those people are simply incapable of exercising decency or responsibility.
    No kidding. Who was making excuses? And I'm also well aware of my own white privilege, which I've incorporated into my position.
    So white privelage is exactly what? Having successful parents to help you along the way?
    It's simple. It's working hard to be successful within the boundaries of societies laws and standards while not looking for handouts and shortcuts.
    You re saying blacks have not?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

I'm suggesting stickman is thinking hard working whites haven't been given something.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

I'm suggesting stickman is thinking hard working whites haven't been given something.
    Well I can honestly look in the mirror and say my wife and I have never seen any sort of white privelage. We both work our asses off to afford what we have.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

Well I can honestly look in the mirror and say my wife and I have never seen any sort of white privelage. We both work our asses off to afford what we have.
    Honesty and awareness are two different things. White privilege never denies someone working their ass off.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

White privilege doesn't mean you were given handouts, it means you were given the privilege of not facing additional obstacles due to your skin color.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

Would have been my reply if I read it sooner. No one will deny for a very long time blacks were treated very unfairly in this country, and that's putting it politely. I haven't looked it up but I'm guessing drug laws on crack were made much more recently than that.

I just have to ask myself which seems more plausible? Crack laws were written to keep blacks down, or because it's more dangerous and addictive? I would have the latter.

I very easily found several sources that stated crack was worse. Even if that research is wrong, wouldn't the one thing everyone could agree on on every thread is that the government tends to make decisions on misinformation?
    Crack is much, much cheaper than cocaine and worked its way into the poorer areas of our society. Cocaine is, and always has been, primarily a wealthy white man's drug.
    Do the math. Who gets the harsher sentence? The white accountant who gets pulled over for speeding and a bag of cocaine is discovered or the black guy from the projects caught with a bunch of crack?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    eddiec said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

Crack is much, much cheaper than cocaine and worked its way into the poorer areas of our society. Cocaine is, and always has been, primarily a wealthy white man's drug.
    Do the math. Who gets the harsher sentence? The white accountant who gets pulled over for speeding and a bag of cocaine is discovered or the black guy from the projects caught with a bunch of crack?

That could be 100% true. Still doesn't mean the laws are more strict because it is used by blacks. Still seems more plausible that in our modern culture the reason is due to the effects, and not who uses it. Wouldn't it be equally racists if they decreased the penalty on a drug because blacks use it?

Many crimes receive stiffer penalties if they are associated with a gang. Isn't that racist too then since theres a higher percentage of black gang members than white? Or could it just be people don't like gangs?

All I have been convinced of so far is there is a justification for the difference in sentencing when it comes to color, which has been an argument for modern racism. I really don't give a crap that a deadly drug is cheaper, and therefore used by minorities more. If it's worse for you, make stricter laws for it. Just makes sense. We should not make laws based on color, which is what it sound like you are suggesting if you want easier laws for crack based on the fact it is used by blacks more.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eddiec said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

No no, the forces in power would never conspire against minorites...you are expected to ignore generations of such behavior and all the leaked evidence on the war on drugs and take the advice of some post hoc research that is marginally related to the issue of sentencing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

eddiec said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

No no, the forces in power would never conspire against minorites...you are expected to ignore generations of such behavior and all the leaked evidence on the war on drugs and take the advice of some post hoc research that is marginally related to the issue of sentencing.
    I actually didn't do any research on sentencing for this discussion. All the information I have was from previous discussions, news reports and so on, this topic comes up in almost every thread dealing with race. I did Google the difference between crack and powder since I have zero knowledge on that and it was brought up, and all of the top search results indicated there was a difference. Maybe they're all wrong, but that's enough to convince me it is possible for the government to believe there is a difference too.
    Only the people dumb enough to deny the holocaust happened would say we never had laws designed to put down an entire group.
    We both seem well aware of civil history and look at the same information and you think one scenario better explains it and I think the other in modern society is more plausible. I think we killed the topic, the closest to an agreement is ill say yes it is possible, just seems less likely to me.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,618
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

You still don't seem to understand what white priviledge is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

I guess I don't.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

I guess I don't.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

I guess I don't.
    Sorry del. This definition goes way above my intellectual level.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

I guess I don't.
    Sorry del. This definition goes way above my intellectual level.
    Lol.

Hey... you got swashbuckling down so who cares.
    "My brain's a good brain!"