Options

A "protester" shot another "protester"... can we please stop calling them "Protesters"?

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It's a cop out and it plays the victim card.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,667
    edited September 2016
    It's reality, however someone wants to respond to it is up to them. There's no card being played.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited September 2016
    dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    No, it is a way for certain liberals to feel better than others because they think they get something others don't. Now continue brainwashing our youth into feeling bad about themselves and their ancestry.
  • Options
    It's just a fact, however someone feels about it is their own responsibility.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Woe is me!!!
  • Options

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    No, it is a way for certain liberals to feel better than others because they think they get something others don't. Now continue brainwashing our youth into feeling bad about themselves and their ancestry.
    You can feel as bad as you want. I don't feel one ounce of guilt. I can be aware of the advantages that I have had and not feel guilty about it, but still fight for others to have the same opportunity. I have never once said I feel guilty, that's just an ignorant conservative talking point. A strawman.

It's pretty eye opening when I hear opinion after opinion of white guys that think they have the same uphill climb as a black guy, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Obama was elected president after all....therefore racism no longer exists in America.

Also, we all have ancestors who have had to struggle through tough circumstances to survive and get us to where we are now...so lets not pretend that you or anyone else has a patent on hard luck ancestors. Can we drop that stupid point already?
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    Another guy that gets IT...Bravo
  • Options
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    You're saying racism doesn't exist?
  • Options

muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    No freakin Way!!!! You would believe how hard it was for me and others to get promoted solely due to our race.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    No freakin Way!!!! You would believe how hard it was for me and others to get promoted solely due to our race.
    You sound like you might need to go to your safe space.
  • Options

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    Well thanks for your concern, but I and anyone around me are always Safe as can be
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    edited September 2016
    bootlegger10 said:

"No, it is a way for certain liberals to feel better than others because they think they get something others don't. Now continue brainwashing our youth into feeling bad about themselves and their ancestry."
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    This liberal/conservative jive, come on. If I told you I'm voting for Jill Stein (and I am) you would say I'm liberal, right? Wrong. I'm conservative. At least I try to conserve as much as reasonably possible. And I'm even conservative in other, more traditional way.

As for "brainwashing our youth into feeling bad about themselves and their ancestry", that probably could be said about some so-called liberals but really, any thinking person left or right is going to look at racism and the history of racism, know their part in it, know how they respond to what they've learned and if they have gotten that far in their thinking, will know they are doing the right thing the best they can.
    No thinking person wants their kids to form a negative self image. No thinking person is going to try to coral an entire ancestral group into one giant pen and go around with a cattle prod and burn each and every one. Some of my ancestors were very cool and contributed to society. And no doubt some of them were assholes. Maybe even slave owners. Well fuck them but don't fuck my ancestry. How senseless is that? No thinking person would do that. You guys are talking about a few knee jerk armchair social critics who have a guilt complex who aren't very reflective. Most of us, especially here, aren't like that.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

unsung said:

unsung said:

Who's making excuses?

I will add, white privilege does grant us the right to dictate terms!

No such thing.
    You mean I'm hallucinating all these comments in the race threads?
    Racism exists but to claim white privilege is to let the oppressors off the hook for treating people badly.

You don't bring one group down because another is treated unfairly, that's what claiming white privilege does. Instead we should be demanding that everyone be treated at a higher level up.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Who's making excuses?

I will add, white privilege does grant us the right to dictate terms!

No such thing.
    You mean I'm hallucinating all these comments in the race threads?
    Racism exists but to claim white privilege is to let the oppressors off the hook for treating people badly.

You don't bring one group down because another is treated unfairly, that's what claiming white privilege does. Instead we should be demanding that everyone be treated at a higher level up.
    Kind of the opposite: denying white privilege exists lets the opressor off the hook, because it's existence is a result of discrimination. It perpetuates it because people conclude "all you have to do is work hard and be responsible like me, and you'll succeed".
    He's right, you have it completely backwards Unsung.

This mentality that recognizing societal racism is a knock on white people is seriously twisted and demented.
    It seems pretty narcissistic, this fantasy that everybody is out to deny your accomplishments and negate your efforts.
    :dizzy:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I recognize that white skinned people have a long history of oppression of people with black skin. That being said, I think that in today's day and age, it is to a lesser degree than at any time throughout American history.
    My problem with this conversation is that it almost seems as though some are using "white privilege" as a justification or a way to excuse violent protests. People are responsible for their own actions. Looting and arson during these riots cannot be blamed on white privileges, they are criminal acts perpetrated by opportunistic criminals and a mob mentality.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I recognize that white skinned people have a long history of oppression of people with black skin. That being said, I think that in today's day and age, it is to a lesser degree than at any time throughout American history.
    My problem with this conversation is that it almost seems as though some are using "white privilege" as a justification or a way to excuse violent protests. People are responsible for their own actions. Looting and arson during these riots cannot be blamed on white privileges, they are criminal acts perpetrated by opportunistic criminals and a mob mentality.

I haven't seen anything of the sort.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

You're not reading between the lines. The fact that this thread about the illegitimacy of the riots has derailed into a conversation about white privilege says it all.
    To get back on topic- I posted this in another thread, but I feel it fits here as well.
    http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=51f_1474633969
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016
    I was watching amateur videos (LiveLeak, Infowars, etc etc) of people amongst the crowds in Charlotte and let me tell you from the conversations people in the crowed (a good number, not all obviously) were having they definitely weren't there to protest injustice, they were there to cause chaos
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

You're not reading between the lines. The fact that this thread about the illegitimacy of the riots has derailed into a conversation about white privilege says it all.
    To get back on topic- I posted this in another thread, but I feel it fits here as well.
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

You are reading far too much between the lines. Threads devolve in this way all the time and it's not some statement about our subconscious thoughts, it is just an indicator that many of us (certainly me!) will pursue an argument endlessly.
    This debate is taking place across several threads, and I would bet many are (like myself) simply tracking the debate at large without much concern for the original intent of the threads.

I haven't seen any defense of the deplorable activities happening in SC, and reading between the lines is a risky practice that allows far too great an opportunity to project.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    pjalive21 said:

I was watching amateur videos (LiveLeak, Infowars, etc etc) of people amongst the crowds in Charlotte and let me tell you from the conversations people in the crowed (a good number, not all obviously) were having they definitely weren't there to protest injustice, they were there to cause chaos

It also needs to be noted many of those at that protest march are from out of the state of NC. it doesn't excuse the behavior in the least however most are not from the Charlotte metro area.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

You are reading far too much between the lines. Threads devolve in this way all the time and it's not some statement about our subconscious thoughts, it is just an indicator that many of us (certainly me!) will pursue an argument endlessly.
    This debate is taking place across several threads, and I would bet many are (like myself) simply tracking the debate at large without much concern for the original intent of the threads.

I haven't seen any defense of the deplorable activities happening in SC, and reading between the lines is a risky practice that allows far too great an opportunity to project.
    You may be right, but it is seeming like turning every thread into a white privilege conversation is an apologetic "wag the dog" strategy of sorts. Maybe it has just come across that way to me personally.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

You may be right, but it is seeming like turning every thread into a white privilege conversation is an apologetic "wag the dog" strategy of sorts. Maybe it has just come across that way to me personally.
    For my part, and I think dignin and beaverguy are aligned wit me here, I am doggedly continuing the white privilege discussion because the rebuttals are outrageous (and always angry) and it is shocking that people can be so obtuse as to fail to recognize that black people have had, and still continue to have (though diminishing) disadvantages in America.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

No, it's an awareness.
    Well thanks for your concern, but I and anyone around me are always Safe as can be
    great reply.

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

For my part, and I think dignin and beaverguy are aligned wit me here, I am doggedly continuing the white privilege discussion because the rebuttals are outrageous (and always angry) and it is shocking that people can be so obtuse as to fail to recognize that black people have had, and still continue to have (though diminishing) disadvantages in America.
    Very much aligned.

I haven't made any comments in regard to these latest protests and riots. I've not watched any video or read anything about those events, I've just been commenting on the Tulsa shooting and white privilege. I seriously thought that pretty much everyone agreed that it exists, a consensus....guess that's just in my bubble.
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

Very true, very true
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    dignin said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Very much aligned.

I haven't made any comments in regard to these latest protests and riots. I've not watched any video or read anything about those events, I've just been commenting on the Tulsa shooting and white privilege. I seriously thought that pretty much everyone agreed that it exists, a consensus....guess that's just in my bubble.
    Is this your happy place :lol:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

dignin said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Very much aligned.

Is this your happy place :lol:
    Hey! How did you find me in my special safe place while I post on these forums? My privacy has been violated!

That does look quite comfortable and pleasant.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,622
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

I think you're doing a bad job of reading between the lines.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    This all makes sense if you read the actual lines.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    These "protesters" in Charlotte are nothing but thugs. Mlk is probably rolling over in his grave.
    Non violent forms of protest beat Jim Crow into the ground. the "protesters" of today should study their own history and use it to their advantage.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......