Options

"Boom Is Unnecessary"

Comments

• Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Speeddiva8 wrote:
    He's a touring musician. He might have done some studio work for the band. He is not really a part of the band. We have appreciated his talents, but he's not needed for every tour, is he? I mean, it's nice to have someone play, but he's not formally a part of the band.
    I think you have to admit he's now a memebr of the band. Since 2003, he's been on each tour. If you don't like him, stay home and listen to pre-2003 boots.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    Julien wrote:
    I think you have to admit he's now a memebr of the band. Since 2003, he's been on each tour. If you don't like him, stay home and listen to pre-2003 boots.

I can text just as easy from home though.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Oh. I get it now, thanks.

If I were Boom, I'd think 'so what? I'm in Pearl Jam. You're not'. :p

The text didn't come across as very funny though. The person should have texted 'Boom has a big fat butt and his butt smells...' (Or maybe not).
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Boom rocks the house. While I admit, I enjoy him on some songs more than others, I can't imagine Pearl Jam without Boom anymore.
  • Options
    IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    It occurred to me while I was reading this thread, that last night before MSG II there were some text messages about Dave Abbruzzese, and how he was the best drummer the band ever had. Does this mean we should start a thread about how hurtful this must have been to Matt Cameron?

I think both those guys are doing just fine. Personally I think Boom is fantastic.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    IDgotI wrote:
    It occurred to me while I was reading this thread, that last night before MSG II there were some text messages about Dave Abbruzzese, and how he was the best drummer the band ever had. Does this mean we should start a thread about how hurtful this must have been to Matt Cameron?

I think both those guys are doing just fine. Personally I think Boom is fantastic.

Dave A. is the best drummer ...

For me to poop on!

(In all seriousness, Matt is the best.)
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    I like Boom and for me he is welcome to play with PJ when they want. That´s all.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    it doesn't make sense... you love crazy mary with the extension? Love, Regin Over Me needs a piano and songs like you are etc. have keyboard in them... what's the big deal? What a lowlife texting this garbage.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Good thing Ed choose the Rangers text to chant instead of this one ...

Could you imagine poor Boom's face?
    ;)
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Listen to Crazy Mary from 4-25-03 Cleveland.
    Enough said!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I like Boom and what he brings to the band. But, Christ, sometimes this board is so humorless I actually worry about you people.

It was a joke. It was kind of funny. And, if you haven't been paying attention, he plays on about three songs now and that's it. So whoever sent in that text message, you know, probably has a point.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    MrsOakley wrote:
    Note of caution: someone who has nothing better to do than to post more than 13 thousand times in five years on one message board alone probably doesn't have enough life experience to choose between one percent and non-fat milk, never mind comment on issues way above your ken. Might want to stop pushing the IPod thingies in so far...
    Wow, you sure turned nasty for someone whose purpose in starting this thread was to demand people be all nice and Jamilyesque. Fanch is a well-liked, longstanding member of this community who has contributed sound financial planning advice, spot-on album reviews and is a wellspring of good natured humor, cold Natty and Yield philosophy.

And you are?
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I think Boom has the best job in the whole world. What a lucky guy.

Is his keyboard playing talent equivalent to, say, Mike's guitar playing talent? No. He's not the world's most amazing keyboardist (listen to any solo on RITFW, In My Tree, or Red Mosquito for proof). Does the background B3 sound on stuff like Crazy Mary and Riot Act songs add to them, like when he's just harping and playing along with that big organ sound? Sure. Can you even hear Boom in the live mix at the shows? I never have, unless it's a solo or Crazy mary or Wasted reprise...you can never hear him.

What's unnecessary is the Verizon screens to begin with. Realllly shallow and stupid. That would be cool for the crowd at the New Kids or Nsync or something so they could text about their boyfriends and BFFs. But...Never would have expected to see those on Pearl Jam's stage.

But, since they are there, that is pretty mean and not very cool to text something like that up there. Shame on that guy.

Maybe if it happens a couple more times, they'll take down the Verizon screens and never use them again on any future tour. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    MrsOakley wrote:
    This board is so volatile that anyone with a life can't possibly keep up with all the discussions and what's buried inside threads, so forgive me if I'm beating a horse that has already died here, but I will have my say. I was going through I think Big Wave's photos (beautiful work) as a respite and felt my blood pressure go through the roof when I saw this text message up on the big screen.

Yes, the pictures were mine as was the text message. That's why it is in my photobucket. This has already been discussed at length in another thread. I'd post a link to that thread, but for some reason people seem to get upset about that too. Probably because I don't have over 1,000 posts yet.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    I hope the post hits the board again tonight!

And Ed... if you are reading the board.... please, change your pants!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I've been meaning to mention how funny your "stuff white people like" posts are. keep up the good work.

they'd be much 'funnier' if he wrote them himself. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The Champ wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5580884&postcount=2
    And Biggest Wave won the lottery the next day :)..

Oh thats real nice. What an asshole.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    The Champ wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5580884&postcount=2
    And Biggest Wave won the lottery the next day :)..

9th Row on Mike's side. Awesome seats, awesome night.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I love the white pants.
    I love Boom.
    I love San Dimas.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    Dave A. is the best drummer ...

For me to poop on!

(In all seriousness, Matt is the best.)

haha it's about time someone brought back the "for me to poop on" jokes!

in all seriousness, i think the comment was mean. i like boom :)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    fanch75 wrote:
    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended

Stuff White People Like

#101 Being Offended
    May 28, 2008 by clander

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy. But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended.

Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don’t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about “flyover states”). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.

It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.

White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from “not racist” to “super not racist.”

Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it’s social death.

If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say “the representation of <insert race> was offensive and if you can’t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.” After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.

how many times are you going to post this?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Dog Loyal wrote:
    Wow, you sure turned nasty for someone whose purpose in starting this thread was to demand people be all nice and Jamilyesque. Fanch is a well-liked, longstanding member of this community who has contributed sound financial planning advice, spot-on album reviews and is a wellspring of good natured humor, cold Natty and Yield philosophy.

And you are?

Plus he can copy and paste like a motherfucker...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I love Boom and what he adds to the band. I found the text to be humorous because of the randomness of it, without it being too malicious. Anyone who takes these things so seriously needs to take a chill pill.

Exactly. The randomness of it is what made it funny.

It was mixed in within like two dozen texts completely innane texts:
    "Hey, Jimmy, these seats are awesome."
    "It's my birthday!"
    "Happy anniversary, Helen"
    "Boom is unnecessary."
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    i like when he only plays on songs that require keys. he does at depth and texture. but "porch" doesn't need keys (among other songs)!!
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    Yes, the pictures were mine as was the text message. That's why it is in my photobucket. This has already been discussed at length in another thread. I'd post a link to that thread, but for some reason people seem to get upset about that too. Probably because I don't have over 1,000 posts yet.

Just post the link about 550 times. Someone's bound to start clicking on it after that.
  • Options
    edpearson wrote:
    Well, I missed the anti-Boom thread which is a shame because I would defend Boom Gasper in a heartbeat. I love the guy and what he brings to the table. If he's not your cup of tea, wait a song or two and he'll quietly disappear off stage. As for me, he's the main reason I look forward to seeing "Crazy Mary" live!

Amen, brother!

Now let's see how long it takes for a "Tamborines Are Unnecessary" thread...
    * Barclays Center NY 10/19/14 * Centre Bell QC 9/7/11 * Madison Square Garden NY 9/11/98 7/8/03 7/9/03 6/24/08 6/25/08 5/20/10 * Wachovia Spectrum PA 10/28/09 * Continental Arena NJ 6/1/06 6/3/06 * Nassau Coliseum NY 4/30/03 * Jones Beach NY 8/23/00 8/24/00 *

• Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    ballgame wrote:
    Listen to Crazy Mary from 4-25-03 Cleveland.
    Enough said!

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    mca47 wrote:
    Like the Chicago whistler can be heard in any midwest PJ show.
    These people have some serious issues.

I cant stand that guy.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    And I love Boom.

But I love Trixie's San Dimas quote more.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I think STONE posted that message.