Options

"Boom Is Unnecessary"

MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
This board is so volatile that anyone with a life can't possibly keep up with all the discussions and what's buried inside threads, so forgive me if I'm beating a horse that has already died here, but I will have my say. I was going through I think Big Wave's photos (beautiful work) as a respite and felt my blood pressure go through the roof when I saw this text message up on the big screen.

Again, I don't know if the scumsucking lowlife who posted that is on this board and is delighting in the attention, or if this has been addressed, but I will have my say. The cruelty and stupidity of that act is the kind of thing that junior high school kids with undiagnosed and untreated mental illnesses do. I think Boom is great, but it's beyond the point who does and doesn't think so. This was a cruel insult to a musician who has brought nothing but his talent and his good nature to the table, and to all the guys in Pearl Jam -- just what kind of heartless, leather-brained idiot cannot even imagine what seeing that would do to Boom, the band and the crew? And what kind of person wouldn't care? One of those haw-haw halfwits who say "lighten up" in the face of any emotion beyond the thrill of a bowel movement? Or someone just that cold blooded, that insensitive, that destructive -- and for what? To get attention? How pathetic. Sociopaths need to seek medical attention ASAP.
"Over the dirt, we soar,
on a search for anything pure."
Say Goodbye
jeff aTONEment
"See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    MrsOakley wrote:
    This board is so volatile that anyone with a life can't possibly keep up with all the discussions and what's buried inside threads, so forgive me if I'm beating a horse that has already died here, but I will have my say. I was going through I think Big Wave's photos (beautiful work) as a respite and felt my blood pressure go through the roof when I saw this text message up on the big screen.

Again, I don't know if the scumsucking lowlife who posted that is on this board and is delighting in the attention, or if this has been addressed, but I will have my say. The cruelty and stupidity of that act is the kind of thing that junior high school kids with undiagnosed and untreated mental illnesses do. I think Boom is great, but it's beyond the point who does and doesn't think so. This was a cruel insult to a musician who has brought nothing but his talent and his good nature to the table, and to all the guys in Pearl Jam -- just what kind of heartless, leather-brained idiot cannot even imagine what seeing that would do to Boom, the band and the crew? And what kind of person wouldn't care? One of those haw-haw halfwits who say "lighten up" in the face of any emotion beyond the thrill of a bowel movement? Or someone just that cold blooded, that insensitive, that destructive -- and for what? To get attention? How pathetic. Sociopaths need to see medical attention ASAP.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended

Stuff White People Like

#101 Being Offended
    May 28, 2008 by clander

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy. But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended.

Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don’t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about “flyover states”). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.

It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.

White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from “not racist” to “super not racist.”

Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it’s social death.

If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say “the representation of <insert race> was offensive and if you can’t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.” After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    Don't know about anyone else but you got my attention.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I think this thread will be locked, but before it is I'd also like to say I think that text message was pretty pathetic. Sad really.
    He got his attention, just like the assholes that yell out just to "make the boot".

"Oh man, I'm awesome I ruined the boot for everyone". Like the Chicago whistler can be heard in any midwest PJ show.
    These people have some serious issues.
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    Well, I missed the anti-Boom thread which is a shame because I would defend Boom Gasper in a heartbeat. I love the guy and what he brings to the table. If he's not your cup of tea, wait a song or two and he'll quietly disappear off stage. As for me, he's the main reason I look forward to seeing "Crazy Mary" live!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    That was definitely a dip-shit move by whoever texted that message. I am completely indifferent about Boom being in the band, but that was totally uncalled for in my opinion.
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    MrsOakley wrote:

Again, I don't know if the scumsucking lowlife who posted that is on this board and is delighting in the attention, or if this has been addressed, but I will have my say. The cruelty and stupidity of that act is the kind of thing that junior high school kids with undiagnosed and untreated mental illnesses do. I think Boom is great, but it's beyond the point who does and doesn't think so. This was a cruel insult to a musician who has brought nothing but his talent and his good nature to the table, and to all the guys in Pearl Jam -- just what kind of heartless, leather-brained idiot cannot even imagine what seeing that would do to Boom, the band and the crew? And what kind of person wouldn't care? One of those haw-haw halfwits who say "lighten up" in the face of any emotion beyond the thrill of a bowel movement? Or someone just that cold blooded, that insensitive, that destructive -- and for what? To get attention? How pathetic. Sociopaths need to seek medical attention ASAP.

too long;didnt read

I think Boom is great. Its a shame he isn't being used more this tour. He doesn't take ANYTHING away from the band, if anything he makes the show more diverse. I like him and think everyone who 'hates' him should just give up
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    fanch75 wrote:

Stuff White People Like

#101 Being Offended
    May 28, 2008 by clander

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy. But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended.

Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don’t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about “flyover states”). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.

It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.

White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from “not racist” to “super not racist.”

Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it’s social death.

If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say “the representation of <insert race> was offensive and if you can’t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.” After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.

What makes you think I'm white? In general, what makes you THINK?

Again, the above is just a scoundrel's sneer at any objection to an assault on common human decency. I thought that was one of the things that connected all of the Pearl Jamily, huh, what connects us all, at the very least, an affection for the band, or at least simple respect?

Note of caution: someone who has nothing better to do than to post more than 13 thousand times in five years on one message board alone probably doesn't have enough life experience to choose between one percent and non-fat milk, never mind comment on issues way above your ken. Might want to stop pushing the IPod thingies in so far...
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    scw156 wrote:
    too long;didnt read

I think Boom is great. Its a shame he isn't being used more this tour. He doesn't take ANYTHING away from the band, if anything he makes the show more diverse. I like him and think everyone who 'hates' him should just give up

I like Boom too and can respect people that might not like what he adds to the band. That said, what that texter did was defintely uncalled for and really, really pathetic.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Christ, calm down. Did you not get hugged or something?

Go buy a Jamily Poster and have a smile.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    MrsOakley wrote:

Again, the above is just a scoundrel's sneer at any objection to an assault on common human decency. I thought that was one of the things that connected all of the Pearl Jamily, huh, what connects us all, at the very least, an affection for the band, or at least simple respect?

Note of caution: someone who has nothing better to do than to post more than 13 thousand times in five years on one message board alone probably doesn't have enough life experience to choose between one percent and non-fat milk, never mind comment on issues way above your ken. Might want to stop pushing the IPod thingies in so far...
    Relax...sheesh
    And we already lambasted biggest wave already.
    He was either pretending he did it or was just letting us all know his opinion.

Seeing Boom in action last night was so awesome!
    I love Boom.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    fanch75 wrote:

Stuff White People Like

#101 Being Offended
    May 28, 2008 by clander

I've been meaning to mention how funny your "stuff white people like" posts are. keep up the good work.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    MrsOakley wrote:
    .. I think Boom is great, but it's beyond the point who does and doesn't think so. This was a cruel insult to a musician who has brought nothing but his talent and his good nature to the table, and to all the guys in Pearl Jam ...--

and his Karma...such a kind soul....
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    MrsOakley wrote:

LOL
    It was funny..... whats wrong with you people?
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    ealasaid76ealasaid76 Posts: 95
    He's a touring musician. He might have done some studio work for the band. He is not really a part of the band. We have appreciated his talents, but he's not needed for every tour, is he? I mean, it's nice to have someone play, but he's not formally a part of the band.
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    www.wm3.org
    9/13/98 Hartford,CT - 9/18/98 Columbia,MD
    8/23/00 Jones Beach (Wantagh,NY) - 7/8/03 NYC (DVD show)
    9/28/04 Boston,MA (VFC Benefit-10C) - 6/23/06 Pittsburgh,PA
    6/27/08 Hartford, CT
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    MrsOakley wrote:

your objections to everything "unnecessary about Boom" are noted,
    MrsGaspar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5580884&postcount=2
    And Biggest Wave won the lottery the next day :)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I don't think "unnecessary" is a bad word here.

if he said he RUINS PJ--well, that might hurt Boom's feelings!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5580884&postcount=2
    And Biggest Wave won the lottery the next day :)..

who says karma's a biatch?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I have no problems with Boom as long as he promises never to fuck with Red Mosquitoe again . . . and In My Tree.
  • Options
    Btw, did this appear again the second night?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Would it be fair to say the back-up singers were unnecessary? Or will you all freak out on that too?

Just wondering!!! :D
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    I love Boom and what he adds to the band. I found the text to be humorous because of the randomness of it, without it being too malicious. Anyone who takes these things so seriously needs to take a chill pill.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    In the grand scheme of things everyone is unneccessary.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Would it be fair to say the back-up singers were unnecessary? Or will you all freak out on that too?

Back-up singers???

was Ed dressed up like Wayne Newton?
    I didn't see "Tie a yellow ribbon" on the set list.
    oh wait, they must have been for Last Kiss.
    Now that is unnecessary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Did someone use the word scoundrel in this thread? Does Batman know about this scoundrel? TO THE BATPOLES!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,191
    it was definitely uncalled for, but there are still people who dont even know who boom is and probably feel bad at the show because they think everyone is booing him, not "booming" him.

btw, i thought the "white people love getting offended" thing was very funny, some people do live for it, but im white, so this whole thread offends me, HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    share wrote:
    Back-up singers???

was Ed dressed up like Wayne Newton?

LOL.
  • Options

'All Night' is my new piss song..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Boom's great ! and the fact that he's in the band is the band's choice ! If you don't like him in the band, I think this means you don't like the evolution of Pearl jam...

Fuck Boom haters !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm