What Members of Pearl Jam Will Be Inducted Into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

13»

Comments

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    pjalive21 said:

Its going to be current lineup minus Boom and that's how it should be regardless of previous contributions...they will mention the earlier drummers and give them their dues, but if it wasn't for Matt we wouldn't be having this discussion

I don't think that's true. If they broke up after yield they'd still get in
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813

well it seems its a cant miss type thing.. Who knows what will happen. How does one go? Are there tickets to inductions? Do you have to know someone?

I hope Dave A gets in t

start saving now
    I miss igotid88
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    edited September 2016
    JH6056 said:

NewJPage said:

JH6056 said:

Come to think of it, if I'm remembering correctly, the band can pay for as many band members as they want to attend. But the HOF only "invites" (i.e. doesn't charge) original members, usually measured by who played on the 1st album. It does seem arbitrary, especially if a band member like Matt Cameron has been in the band for so many years. But I've heard about MANY bands complaining of this, so I know it's a weird rule they have about "original lineup". But PJ can afford to invite all their drummers. Won't be surprised if they do, will be more surprised if they don't.

It's not a rule about original lineup (see: nirvana). I think it's just most "significant" lineup. But as far as I know there is no hard and fast rule. It's just whatever guys or gals are deemed by someone to have contributed significantly to the band. If that's the case, I could see it being Dave a, jack, and matt.

And Boom isn't a member of the band so I don't see him getting in
    What's your source on it being "most significant lineup"? My source on original line-up is hearing/reading about past inductees complaining about the original lineup rule and it actually leaving out the most significant lineup at times. Maybe the complaining I'm thinking of was more about one lineup vs. another, but I could swear there were complaints that the first __________ in the band was NOT the most significant ___________ in the band.

Who knows, I guess we'll find out before the year is over!
    Deep Purple was inducted with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes... From Wiki "The band was officially inducted on April 8, 2016. The Hall of Fame announced that the following members were included as inductees: Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Ian Gillan, Rod Evans, David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes. Excluded from induction were Nick Simper, Tommy Bolin, Joe Lynn Turner, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse and Don Airey"

These are multiple members from multiple line ups... So take that is it may be...
    Post edited by sk8nshoot1 on
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    pjalive21 said:

Its going to be current lineup minus Boom and that's how it should be regardless of previous contributions...they will mention the earlier drummers and give them their dues, but if it wasn't for Matt we wouldn't be having this discussion

Not true that we wouldn't be having this discussion. Bands get nominated and inducted because of their impact on rock music, and one could definitely argue that the majority of PJ's impact on rock music came with albums either Dave K, Dave A, or Jack Irons drummed on more than any others. I agree fully that Matt deserves to be inducted, but there are plenty of bands where the Rock Hall only inducted the original members or most pivotal members (for the most "influential" albums).

We can all argue or have our opinions about which albums are best, some people arguing for later albums. But we're talking about the RnR HoF, which is a whole other set of rules... even if they aren't consistent with their own rules :)
    NewJPage said:

pjalive21 said:

That's a much simpler/better way of making the point I just tried to make, should have read your post first :)
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Bigger question is what happens to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame now that rock is dead
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Pearl34JamPearl34Jam Posts: 1,102
    KV4053 said:

Bigger question is what happens to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame now that rock is dead

It gets taken over by non talented artists like Kanye West, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, etc.

Sad, but probably true.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    if they had all the drummers Dave/Jack/Matt I would be shocked. If Matt is not invited I think the guys would tell RRHOF to kiss their asses. OR they would just have Matt go play anyhow and tell them to piss off. Matt saved this band, if he is not there it is not Pearl Jam.
    hrd2imgn said:

if they had all the drummers Dave/Dave/Jack/Matt I would be shocked. If Matt is not invited I think the guys would tell RRHOF to kiss their asses. OR they would just have Matt go play anyhow and tell them to piss off. Matt saved this band, if he is not there it is not Pearl Jam.

I miss igotid88
  • mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    hrd2imgn said:

if they had all the drummers Dave/Jack/Matt I would be shocked. If Matt is not invited I think the guys would tell RRHOF to kiss their asses. OR they would just have Matt go play anyhow and tell them to piss off. Matt saved this band, if he is not there it is not Pearl Jam.

I actually disagree. And I love Matt. But it was said that Jack saved the band, they were amongst turmoil when Jack joined and gave them all perspective. Matt joined because Jack left, and a tour was already booked. Ed called Matt and said "what are you doing this summer" in 1998. The tour was booked and they needed someone. If Matt said he was not available, they would have found another drummer. A world tour was already on paper, they couldn't have backed out of they tried... To much money on the line... The band would have been sued for losses in numbers they simply couldn't have afforded.

Again, I love Matt, and I think he is instrumental in the great live shows we have now. I also appreciate his songwriting contributions. But the band would have hired another drummer, had Matt said no.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
    No matter who it is people will be upset
    I miss igotid88
    mikerl said:

hrd2imgn said:

I actually disagree. And I love Matt. But it was said that Jack saved the band, they were amongst turmoil when Jack joined and gave them all perspective. Matt joined because Jack left, and a tour was already booked. Ed called Matt and said "what are you doing this summer" in 1998. The tour was booked and they needed someone. If Matt said he was not available, they would have found another drummer. A world tour was already on paper, they couldn't have backed out of they tried... To much money on the line... The band would have been sued for losses in numbers they simply couldn't have afforded.

Again, I love Matt, and I think he is instrumental in the great live shows we have now. I also appreciate his songwriting contributions. But the band would have hired another drummer, had Matt said no.
    Sooooo true about Jack really being the one that stepped in at a true breaking point. I don't remember what the books and PJ20 and all said was going on in about '96, but it was a HEAVY time for at least Ed, and most likely therefore the whole band. I don't know if I ever knew what was going on, but it was tangible, the heaviness. And I remember them saying in interviews then that it was Jack that held them together then. It seemed a bit of a rollercoaster up and down until I saw them in '06, but I missed a LOT of shows between '03-'06 so maybe it got better earlier than I think...
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,771
    edited September 2016
    All I do know is that the posters are gonna be a bitch for this one. Hope they set up the merch trailer early like Fenway
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • NewJPage said:

pjalive21 said:

So true. Have the decision-makers at RRHOF really been following the band's personnel changes as closely as we are? Probably not.

• Abbruzzese has warrants for his arrest in Texas, does PJ want that stigma on stage with them?
    The band has a major say so in who goes in with them, Robert Hunter, the lyricist for the Grateful Dead was inducted at the bands insistence and he never played an instrument with them ....
    1991: Chicago
    2014: Memphis, Moline, Milwaukee
    2015: Vedder/Townshend celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre
    2016: Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Lexington, Wrigley 8/20 Wrigley 8/22
  • An official "induct Boom" movement needs to start. He deserves it. The primary reason this band is so big and relevant right now is because they are the best touring band on the planet. Boom is a big part of that