What Members of Pearl Jam Will Be Inducted Into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
edited August 2016 in The Porch
So... the band has went through a few drummers. Who is going to get inducted? Obviously, we have the 4 that have been there the whole time (Ed, Jeff, Stone & Mike)... but who else?

When KISS got inducted, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons were upset that only the original four were inducted, even though they had several other members throughout the years, some that played with them a long, long time. I seem to remember them pointing out the Chili Peppers as an example of a band that had several members inducted, even some that had very little time with the Chili Peppers.

Are there any rules to this? I don't think so. I think it's totally the RRHOF's decision. Obviously, bands don't get to decide (as I mentioned in the KISS example).

If I were to guess, Pearl Jam members getting inducted will include:
Eddie
Jeff
Stone
Mike
Matt (member since 1998, has played on half of their albums)
Dave Krusen (played on their biggest-selling, most popular album)
Dave Abbruzzese (played on two #1, multi-platinum albums)
Jack Irons (played on two platinum albums)

I truly hope these 8 make it. I think it would be incredibly shitty if, for example, Dave A. is left out and Jack Irons is included.

I would say no to Boom and Matt Chamberlain (never played on an album).
1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
2005: 9/9, 9/28
2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
2007: 8/5
2009: 8/23, 8/24
2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
2013: 7/19, 11/16
2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
2022: 9/18
2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
2024: 5/18, 6/29

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    hope they all get in
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,771
    edited August 2016
    I would say Boom over Dave K. Did he even tour, technically he was a session drummer on an amazing album
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I hope they do the ceremony in L.A.!
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    edited August 2016

I would say Boom over Dave K. Did he even tour, technically he was a session drummer on an amazing album

I think Dave K. is considered the original drummer for the band... not a "session drummer". If I'm not mistaken, he was the drummer for the band's early shows (including their first ever - 10/22/90... a date often considered the anniversary date of the band). According to Wikipedia: "Krusen was a member of the band from its first official show on October 22, 1990, to the completion of the band's debut album, Ten in 1991." Sorry, a band member during one of the biggest albums ever gets in over a touring keyboardist.

Wikipedia also mentions Krusen left the band in May 1991, so after recording but before the release of Ten. I think the whole drummer thing is very tricky when it comes to induction. I'm guessing the band is very loyal to Matt and Jack mostly. They've known Matt forever, even played on the original demos, right? Matt is their current drummer and has been in the band 18+ years (but during the latter half, less commercially successful period). Jack lined up Stone and Jeff with Eddie, so he's an important figure in PJ's inception as well... BUT, I don't believe he stands out more than Abbruzzese as far as inception honors go.

Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • I think Matt is a no brainer, its the other 3 that gets tricky. They all have their selling points. I think it would be great for them all to get in and play at the induction, I seriously doubt that happens though.
  • Would be nice to see all 4. They've all definitely earned it.
    Jack's my favorite. I could easily see him being left out over the other three, and I think that would be total robbery.
    I think the band breaking out Angel this year and mentioning Dave A from the stage shows they're ok with him being there for that nite...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141
    Matt Cameron's been with them for 18 years now, which is almost 75% of the band's career. It will be him & the 4 main guys, sorry Boom.

The other drummers will get a shout out from someone in the band during the acceptance speech, but that will be the extent of it IMO.

• EnterThanmanEnterThanman Posts: 1,057
    edited August 2016
    Dave A and Matt C for sure. Jack Irons if he didn't get in with the Chili Peppers. The rest I don't think will be in. I'd like to see Boom in but he's never been listed as an official member of the band so don't think it will happen.
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    edited August 2016

Dave K was the original drummer (unless you count the demos which Matt Cameron played on) and if not for personal issues would probably still be the drummer.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

I think Matt is a no brainer, its the other 3 that gets tricky. They all have their selling points. I think it would be great for them all to get in and play at the induction, I seriously doubt that happens though.

That's the thing - for the RnRHOF, the current drummer is NOT a no-brainer. It usually IS the "original line up" of the band. So hard to say how the HOF will handle it, but something tells me that because it's PJ, they'll maybe be a little flexible and let them have all the drummers come up? That's my guess. But "original line-up" is usually the thing. Did Nirvana's first drummer go up when they got inducted, or just Krist and Dave?
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    igotid88 said:

Dave K was the original drummer (unless you count the demos which Matt Cameron played on) and if not for personal issues would probably still be the drummer.
    Pretty sure Dave K. was just a session drummer who happened to play a few live shows with them. In other words, he wasn't a member of the band. I could be wrong
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • JH6056 said:

I think Matt is a no brainer, its the other 3 that gets tricky. They all have their selling points. I think it would be great for them all to get in and play at the induction, I seriously doubt that happens though.

That's the thing - for the RnRHOF, the current drummer is NOT a no-brainer. It usually IS the "original line up" of the band. So hard to say how the HOF will handle it, but something tells me that because it's PJ, they'll maybe be a little flexible and let them have all the drummers come up? That's my guess. But "original line-up" is usually the thing. Did Nirvana's first drummer go up when they got inducted, or just Krist and Dave?
    From what I remember it was only Cobain, Grohl, and Krist...Channing was not included. I think with Matt's lengthy history with the band the only way he gets left out is if Soundgarden gets inducted next year as well.

JH6056 said:

From what I remember it was only Cobain, Grohl, and Krist...Channing was not included. I think with Matt's lengthy history with the band the only way he gets left out is if Soundgarden gets inducted next year as well.
    Why would Matt's inclusion with one band preclude induction with the other?
  • KV4053 said:

JH6056 said:

Why would Matt's inclusion with one band preclude induction with the other?
    Not saying it should....just that the Hall makes crazy decisions in regards to these things and who knows what they could possibly do.
  • jp307677jp307677 Posts: 417
    wnh1977 said:

So... the band has went through a few drummers. Who is going to get inducted? Obviously, we have the 4 that have been there the whole time (Ed, Jeff, Stone & Mike)... but who else?

When KISS got inducted, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons were upset that only the original four were inducted, even though they had several other members throughout the years, some that played with them a long, long time. I seem to remember them pointing out the Chili Peppers as an example of a band that had several members inducted, even some that had very little time with the Chili Peppers.

Are there any rules to this? I don't think so. I think it's totally the RRHOF's decision. Obviously, bands don't get to decide (as I mentioned in the KISS example).

If I were to guess, Pearl Jam members getting inducted will include:
    Eddie
    Jeff
    Stone
    Mike
    Matt (member since 1998, has played on half of their albums)
    Dave Krusen (played on their biggest-selling, most popular album)
    Dave Abbruzzese (played on two #1, multi-platinum albums)
    Jack Irons (played on two platinum albums)

I truly hope these 8 make it. I think it would be incredibly shitty if, for example, Dave A. is left out and Jack Irons is included.

I would say no to Boom and Matt Chamberlain (never played on an album).

I'm pretty sure Boom has played on a few albums...certainly on at least Riot Act. It would be a shame if he wasn't inducted, he has been such a big part of their live shows since 2002.
  • TheLuckyOnesTheLuckyOnes Posts: 472
    edited August 2016
    KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

Pretty sure Dave K. was just a session drummer who happened to play a few live shows with them. In other words, he wasn't a member of the band. I could be wrong
    Nope. You're wrong.
    You're thinking of Matt Chamberlain. He was session guy, post-DaveK, pre-Dave A. Dave K was definitely a full band member.

KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

Nope. You're wrong.
    You're thinking of Matt Chamberlain. He was session guy, post-DaveK, pre-Dave A. Dave K was definitely a full band member.
    Source please?
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    I would expect the main 4. all drummers. and Boom, he has been a major weapon (especially in concert) for more than half the bands career.
    KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

Nope. You're wrong.
    Source please?
    if you're a fan of the band from the beginning you should know this. Also with all the love Dave A gets it's understandable why some might think he was the first drummer or first real drummer.
    I miss igotid88
  • KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

Nope. You're wrong.
    Source please?
    Don't need a source to tell you he's right but here you go:

http://archive.alternativenation.net/the-history-of-pearl-jam-drummers/
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    i dont think krusen will be inducted. the main 4, dave a, jack and matt.
    Matt Chamberlain was supposed to be the full time drummer after Dave K. But he wanted to play in the SNL band.
    I miss igotid88
  • strilostrilo Posts: 483
    edited August 2016
    Hasn't Boom played on every studio album since Riot Act?

EDIT: I checked and he's played on Riot Act, Avocado and Lightning Bolt. Just not Backspacer.
    Post edited by strilo on
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,437
    there is no chance PJ would appear without Matt Cameron being included. I don't see the other drummers appearing. mentioned yes, appear no. I also think its 50/50 at best that Boom would appear.
    edited August 2016
    Delete
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

Nope. You're wrong.
    Source please?
    if you're a fan of the band from the beginning you should know this. Also with all the love Dave A gets it's understandable why some might think he was the first drummer or first real drummer.
    I got Ten the day it came out (worked in a record store so maybe it was a couple of days before it was officially on the shelf) and saw them in April of 1992. It's not an early fan thing. It's an age and memory thing. Thanks for making me admit that. It was therapeutic.

• pjhawks said:

there is no chance PJ would appear without Matt Cameron being included. I don't see the other drummers appearing. mentioned yes, appear no. I also think its 50/50 at best that Boom would appear.

100% !
    EV will do what he did with a copy of the Rolling Stone when they insinuated that EV was the band.
    PJ is not without MC.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Come to think of it, if I'm remembering correctly, the band can pay for as many band members as they want to attend. But the HOF only "invites" (i.e. doesn't charge) original members, usually measured by who played on the 1st album. It does seem arbitrary, especially if a band member like Matt Cameron has been in the band for so many years. But I've heard about MANY bands complaining of this, so I know it's a weird rule they have about "original lineup". But PJ can afford to invite all their drummers. Won't be surprised if they do, will be more surprised if they don't.

KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

igotid88 said:

Nope. You're wrong.
    Source please?
    Don't need a source to tell you he's right but here you go:

http://archive.alternativenation.net/the-history-of-pearl-jam-drummers/
    Indeed. Memory corrected.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Krusen
  • Pearl34JamPearl34Jam Posts: 1,102
    Just Matt Chamberlain will. Duh
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore