The Boss

Comments

• High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 Posts: 4,435
    edited August 2016

Bruce also does show bits. He pours water over his head and out of his boots. It's cute and funny. But Ed will NEVER do that type of stuff, thankfully. PJ was, is and will always be a rock band (that can also play "Nothingman" and "Oceans" and "Bee Girl.")

LOL yeah Bruce does some stuff that really draws the songs out, working the crowd and doing his talking stuff and alliteration stuff, band intros, etc. Eddie does that a lot more the last few years but in between songs usually. I think he got used to talking a lot between songs on his solo tours and brought more of that into PJ shows. I just listened to the Portland bootleg yesterday where Better Man was 14+ minutes long. Only about 7 minutes of it was Better Man. In Telluride, he stopped and talked about the radio station sticker for like 4 minutes or something after maybe 2 songs. Didn't used to do that back in the day and definitely adds to the length of the show (and also the personalness of it).

And to the OP, true about Wrigley 13... I think the original set list was 40 songs? Probably would have been 3 hours 45 minutes with those cut ones back in and drawing out the encores more. Oh well, rain delay...
    Post edited by High Fidelity 2000 on
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • I was hoping this thread would be about the Melissa McCarthy movie.

Ha ha glad it's not.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,184
    edited August 2016

Bruce also does show bits. He pours water over his head and out of his boots. It's cute and funny. But Ed will NEVER do that type of stuff, thankfully. PJ was, is and will always be a rock band (that can also play "Nothingman" and "Oceans" and "Bee Girl.")

Eddie had a light specially designed and built so he could do a "show bit" where he was swinging on it during Porch. For every show.

Pearl Jam is moving into Bruce territory - entertaining-fun-for-the-whole-family-come-get-yout-tambourine-shows with show bits and all.

Compare that to Neil "Im just here to rock and play my music" Young.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

Eddie had a light specially designed and built so he could do a "show bit" where he was swinging on it during Porch. For every show.

Pearl Jam is moving into Bruce territory - entertaining-fun-for-the-whole-family-come-get-yout-tambourine-shows with show bits and all.

Yeah, PJ is definitely moving into the bring the family territory. I felt like I was at baseball game at times when I saw the screens at Wrigley and Fenway show a section of fans and then all those fans would jump up and down like idiots.
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931

Yeah, PJ is definitely moving into the bring the family territory. I felt like I was at baseball game at times when I saw the screens at Wrigley and Fenway show a section of fans and then all those fans would jump up and down like idiots.
    Maybe they should start the shows at 4 pm like a ball game; then they can play 4-5 hours. LOL
    I took a friend to an April show, and she said it was the first time she'd ever held a conversation with strangers at a concert. She had fun. I like the vibe, the screen and all the "church announcements," as I call them.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm going tonight! It should be unreal!

Me too Mike. On the floor front section for this one! :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    pearl jam concerts are turning into a celebration. corduroy is a big singalong, and it really shouldnt be. its an angry intense hard driving song. but now with that breakdown and the clapping etc, its a fun feel good song haha.

for any non bruce fans, check out some shows from his '78 tour, the greatest rock and roll tour ever in my opinion.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited August 2016
    No matter who it is, 4 hours is just too long for a concert. I think PJ is stretching it with 3 hours actually. By 2 hours 45 minutes the crowd really starts to weaken. I'd rather see a show that ends on a high note throughout the venue rather than in sheer exhaustion. Some people start walking out after 3 hours in my experience, and a big portion of the crowd just loses the energy that keeps a good show going. I personally do have the stamina for that, but the majority of people do not, especially as the fan base gets older and older.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited August 2016

I totally agree..... though aside from the cheesy light swinging bit, which I absolutely hated, I think this phenomenon is all the fans' doing, not the band's. The majority of PJ fans just don't really rock anymore, at least not in America. I get the feeling that the band is somewhat disappointed by this. I am too. The band it trying to roll with it, but I sense some amount of frustration up there, especially from Eddie. Sometimes he gets this needy kind of look and body language as though he really wants the crowd to rock out and show the kind of energy he still has, but they usually don't come through these days. The shows are still great, but there is just something lacking as far as the energy of the crowd goes now. And sometimes Eddie even calls crowds out on it, so that makes it pretty obvious that he's not loving this mellowing out of the fans.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited August 2016
    Absolutely, spread the word. There's no excuse for not rocking out at a rock concert.

But I saw the Pixies last year and Frank Black didn't say one word that wasn't a song lyric. No hello. No goodbye.
    Post edited by green_girl on
  • PJ_Soul said:

No matter who it is, 4 hours is just too long for a concert. I think PJ is stretching it with 3 hours actually.

:weary:
    What an incredibly selfish thing for a fan to think.
    Kindly give your seat to another fan who enjoys 3+ hrs of PJ - you will have no problem finding someone.
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

No matter who it is, 4 hours is just too long for a concert. I think PJ is stretching it with 3 hours actually.

:weary:
    What an incredibly selfish thing for a fan to think.
    Kindly give your seat to another fan who enjoys 3+ hrs of PJ - you will have no problem finding someone.
    Wow, that's maybe the dumbest post you've ever written. Especially since I wasn't talking about myself, but the majority of the crowd, me not included, which I made clear. (btw, I have a feeling you based this dumb post on another dumb post you saw yesterday and are trolling me, poorly).

Absolutely, spread the word. There's no excuse for not rocking out at a rock concert.

But I saw the Pixies last year and Frank Black didn't say one word that wasn't a song lyric. No hello. No goodbye.

That's the worst! I am not sure how artists think they can really put on a good show without engaging the crowd. How would that be any different than watching them on TV?
    PJ_Soul said:

That's the worst! I am not sure how artists think they can really put on a good show without engaging the crowd. How would that be any different than watching them on TV?
    Hahaha. Great comparison!
    5 minutes ago

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    PJ_Soul said:

No matter who it is, 4 hours is just too long for a concert. I think PJ is stretching it with 3 hours actually. By 2 hours 45 minutes the crowd really starts to weaken. I'd rather see a show that ends on a high note throughout the venue rather than in sheer exhaustion. Some people start walking out after 3 hours in my experience, and a big portion of the crowd just loses the energy that keeps a good show going. I personally do have the stamina for that, but the majority of people do not, especially as the fan base gets older and older.

Bruce crowd was still going crazy and partying right up until the 4 hour mark. That guy
    on2legs said:

5 minutes ago

Crazy setlist so far
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Vytis33Vytis33 Posts: 184
    This setlist in Jersey tonight is off to an unreal start thru 10 songs. Wow.
  • Anyone in their right mind at a concert they love would appreciate the long 3+hrs exuded.
    Gotta love the Boss and PJ.
    2:45 first set. Pretty amazing.

Just ended. 4 hours. Unreal :smiley:

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    PJ_Soul said:

jersey crowd was rocking for 4 hours tonight and no one started to leave until twist and shout. definitely not too long for a concert. and i've never seen a pj crowd start to weaken after 2 hours and 45 minutes. what show were you at when this happened?
    Tom, that show tonight was awesome! we were in section 118 row 15. were you in the first section of ga? tonight was the best bruce show i've ever seen.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJ_Soul said:

I totally agree..... though aside from the cheesy light swinging bit, which I absolutely hated, I think this phenomenon is all the fans' doing, not the band's. The majority of PJ fans just don't really rock anymore, at least not in America. I get the feeling that the band is somewhat disappointed by this. I am too. The band it trying to roll with it, but I sense some amount of frustration up there, especially from Eddie. Sometimes he gets this needy kind of look and body language as though he really wants the crowd to rock out and show the kind of energy he still has, but they usually don't come through these days. The shows are still great, but there is just something lacking as far as the energy of the crowd goes now. And sometimes Eddie even calls crowds out on it, so that makes it pretty obvious that he's not loving this mellowing out of the fans.
    i'm interested to know where you are seeing this lack of energy here in america? there definitely wasn't a lack of energy at the four shows I was at this year. sense of frustration? what are you talking about? at fenway 2 you could tell the band (especially ed) didn't want to get off the stage they were having so much fun.
    edited August 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

i'm interested to know where you are seeing this lack of energy here in america? there definitely wasn't a lack of energy at the four shows I was at this year. sense of frustration? what are you talking about? at fenway 2 you could tell the band (especially ed) didn't want to get off the stage they were having so much fun.
    I've seen plenty of flashes of frustration with crowds from Eddie. I didn't mean it was a constant thing. Haven't you seen Eddie get mad at lame crowds before? Or say stuff to indicate that he thought they were dead? He's done it tons of times. That doesn't mean that every show is dead, that's not what I meant. But come on, we all know there are complaints about pretty dead crowds often enough, even on these boards. There is a reason that the band gushes about the crowds in SA.
    The opinion is relative I'm sure. I guess it all depends on what we consider really awesome energetic crowds vs calm ones.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    SetlistFM says the show last night was 4:01 and technically his longest north american show and 2nd longest of his career...

What is his longest show ever?
    my2hands said:

SetlistFM says the show last night was 4:01 and technically his longest north american show and 2nd longest of his career...

What is his longest show ever?

I think it was a show in Spain.

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jersey crowd was rocking for 4 hours tonight and no one started to leave until twist and shout. definitely not too long for a concert. and i've never seen a pj crowd start to weaken after 2 hours and 45 minutes. what show were you at when this happened?
    Tom, that show tonight was awesome! we were in section 118 row 15. were you in the first section of ga? tonight was the best bruce show i've ever seen.
    We were in the first GA section and were able to make it pretty close to the stage without lining up early. We walked in around 10 minutes before he came on. Great show... Loved every minute :smiley:

on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

We were in the first GA section and were able to make it pretty close to the stage without lining up early. We walked in around 10 minutes before he came on. Great show... Loved every minute :smiley:
    How did you get the first section in ga?
    They did it again.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band set another new band record for their longest U.S. concert with four hours of rock ‘n’ roll at the Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford on Tuesday, Aug,. 30.

The concert beat, by one minute, the previous record the band set of 3:59 on Thursday, Aug. 25 at MetLife. A concert at the stadium on Tuesday, Aug. 23 was 3:52 long, and it had also set a record.

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/08/31/bruce-springsteen-metlife-4-hours-glory/89621306/
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    mcgruff10 said:

They did it again.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band set another new band record for their longest U.S. concert with four hours of rock ‘n’ roll at the Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford on Tuesday, Aug,. 30.

The concert beat, by one minute, the previous record the band set of 3:59 on Thursday, Aug. 25 at MetLife. A concert at the stadium on Tuesday, Aug. 23 was 3:52 long, and it had also set a record.

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/08/31/bruce-springsteen-metlife-4-hours-glory/89621306/

Great set. I knew they'd go over the 4 hour mark. Damn jersey deserves the overall record too bad there is one show ahead.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

mcgruff10 said:

They did it again.

Great set. I knew they'd go over the 4 hour mark. Damn jersey deserves the overall record too bad there is one show ahead.
    I think there's a few left. I know of three more (1 in dc 2 in philly)
    show was killer last night!