Options

No Camping at Wrigley

13»

Comments

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,881
    pdalowsky said:

i dont care what anyone says, a show on the rail is a really great experience. If you have the time and dont mind the wait, it is time well spent in my eyes. Its not essential, ive seen plenty of shows away from the rail, but its always a nice change to go for the front too.

Its always amusing that people seem to judge those who are prepared to do it, theres always a small hint of jealousy in the background somewhere, although that will never be admitted.

I have no doubt that being on the rail is awesome, I just don't think it's worth camping out on city streets, or even lining up on a sidewalk eight hours before a show starts. That said, I am of the "as long as I'm in the building" mindset (and my wife is of the "I don't want to get squished against the rail" mindset - she had a bad experience when she was in college). I am jealous of people who get up front, but more so of those that get front row when it's a reserved seating show.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    pdalowsky said:

i dont care what anyone says, a show on the rail is a really great experience. If you have the time and dont mind the wait, it is time well spent in my eyes. Its not essential, ive seen plenty of shows away from the rail, but its always a nice change to go for the front too.

Its always amusing that people seem to judge those who are prepared to do it, theres always a small hint of jealousy in the background somewhere, although that will never be admitted.

I have been rail four times, but in GA around 3-5 rows probably 10-15 times and I had more fun off the rail. You can move around much better and aren't stuck to the rail. I would want to be 3-5 rows at every show for sure, and cor 95% of the shows you can do that by not standing in line.
  • Options
    Exactly right .I am that way for all the concerts that I attend. It is a seat location addiction. Some shows I pass up if I can not sit in the front or very close side stage. This has financial consequences since I am paying big $$$ from Stub Hub.

How we've corrupted a night of music with merch craziness and front row craziness. Count me guilty. Somehow 99.2% of concert attendees still go even though they are not in the first five rows yet somehow still have great time as well. Front row is like a harder drug for some people. They no longer get any high from a Pearl Jam shows where the average fan sits but have to be close to the stage to get their "fix".

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721

pdalowsky said:

I have been rail four times, but in GA around 3-5 rows probably 10-15 times and I had more fun off the rail. You can move around much better and aren't stuck to the rail. I would want to be 3-5 rows at every show for sure, and cor 95% of the shows you can do that by not standing in line.
    True, we were able to wander three deep in MSG very easily after lining up for no more than 30 minutes........sometimes its nice to go all in though
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    pdalowsky said:

I'll freely admit I'm jealous of people up in the front but the ends simply do not justify the means.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    edited August 2016
    mikeliska said:

pdalowsky said:

I'll freely admit I'm jealous of people up in the front but the ends simply do not justify the means.
    If I'm in GA, I'm not all that jealous of people who spent all day vying to wind up five feet in front of me by showtime. It's like those people who veer around you in traffic, push the pedal to the metal to accelerate past and then we all end of waiting at the same red light.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited August 2016
    The rail makes a nice leaning post, which is nice, but I don't think that's worth waiting all that time when you can just wait for an hour and be maybe 4 feet further back. Plus you have to crane your neck on the rail - gets sore after a few hours. I think 3 - 5 deep in GA is ideal as far as the full experience goes (unless you really love leaning that much), and you just have to show up a little while before doors for that. Perfect.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    pdalowsky said:

I put in 5 1/2 hours of wait time in Cincinnati and got rail. (Deep end of Stone's side.) I got wine and it was tasty. I don't regret the time I put in at all but I did not camp out. I also didn't need front center or right in front of Mike. Had a super time!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    pdalowsky said:

pdalowsky said:

True, we were able to wander three deep in MSG very easily after lining up for no more than 30 minutes........sometimes its nice to go all in though
    Ga tickets at msg? Man how did you get those?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,779
    Managed to show up not long after doors opened at MSG2 and was 5-6 people deep. No wait in any line. Glad I gambled on not lining up all day, got to squeeze in a Late Show taping before the concert.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    mcgruff10 said:

Pull a Fenway and have reserved seating. Fuck ga and problem solved. Go enjoy the great city of chicago while hanging with friends/boyfriend/girlfriend/family/husband/wife

This guy gets it. Sadly no one else does.
  • Options
    jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

Pull a Fenway and have reserved seating. Fuck ga and problem solved. Go enjoy the great city of chicago while hanging with friends/boyfriend/girlfriend/family/husband/wife

No one?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

No one?
    What's there to get? Either you like GA or not. I think we all understand the situation, lol. I personally love GA and don't think it poses any problems at all, and doesn't cause me to wait in any line. It's individuals who create the problems for themselves. It's not GA's fault. In any case, the band obviously has no plans to stop using GA whenever they can. The only reason they didn't at Fenway is because Fenway doesn't allow it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    I have GA and plan on rolling up about 10 minutes before they start. Even if I'm in the very back I'm still closer than everyone else in the stadium. Plus everyone is going to be standing the whole time anyway.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

No one?
    What's there to get? Either you like GA or not. I think we all understand the situation, lol. I personally love GA and don't think it poses any problems at all, and doesn't cause me to wait in any line. It's individuals who create the problems for themselves. It's not GA's fault. In any case, the band obviously has no plans to stop using GA whenever they can. The only reason they didn't at Fenway is because Fenway doesn't allow it.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

No one?
    Actually Fenway does allow ga. For some reason pj didn't have it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

No one?
    Oh really? Well, my mistake. I read somewhere on these boards that they don't normally have it at Fenway.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

No one?
    Oh really? Well, my mistake. I read somewhere on these boards that they don't normally have it at Fenway.
    I believe dead and company had ga this year at Fenway.