Options

RIO Olympics 2016

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

My sister is on her way to Rio now. Her son has Cystic Fibrosis and this was his Make A Wish. The wishes aren't just for terminal kids, it's for all kids with chronic illness and trust me CF is chronic. Anyway, excited for them. I'm house, pool and dog sitting for the next week. USA, USA!!!

Actually good luck to all the athletes.

That's great! Hope they have the time of their lives.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    polaris_x said:

Annafalk said:

I'm so happy for the femal Swedish soccer team now in the final, it's incredible that they won over Brazil !

and the US! ... great run for that team! ... good luck against germany!
    Thank you, :)

My sister is on her way to Rio now. Her son has Cystic Fibrosis and this was his Make A Wish. The wishes aren't just for terminal kids, it's for all kids with chronic illness and trust me CF is chronic. Anyway, excited for them. I'm house, pool and dog sitting for the next week. USA, USA!!!

Actually good luck to all the athletes.

It's very cool that they could his Make his Wish come true :)
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    The Brazilian fans should be ashamed of themselves for booing Lavillenie :frowning:
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2016

The Brazilian fans should be ashamed of themselves for booing Lavillenie :frowning:

I was thinking about this too. When he recieved his olympic silver medal, they were booing as well, how are they thinking? Makes me feel very sad.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

I was thinking about this too. When he was reviewing his silver medal, they were booing how are they thinking?
    This makes me feel very sad.
    You can be damn sure we didn't have that kind of carry on in London, really reflects badly on the Brazilian people unfortunately
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763

Brazilian fans have been acting like idiots at a lot of these events. I couldn't believe how bad it was for the golf tournament....players and their caddies constantly asking the gallery to be quiet. Same thing at the swimming...crowd was being all loud when the races are about to start.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Bolt is just,amazing. Bolt and Degrasse looking at each other as bolt crosses the finish line. Good stuff
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

Bolt is just,amazing. Bolt and Degrasse looking at each other as bolt crosses the finish line. Good stuff

It's crazy. It's like he's barely trying out there....just looks so easy.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    g under p said:

USA men's volleyball need to clean up their sloppy play.

Peace

They are on huge roll now.
    Beat Poland today in 3 sets to make it to the medal round on Friday afternoon.
    Love watching this sport.
    Argentina and Brazil are playing a great match right now.

Woman have huge game tomorrow night.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,461
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Brazilian fans have been acting like idiots at a lot of these events. I couldn't believe how bad it was for the golf tournament....players and their caddies constantly asking the gallery to be quiet. Same thing at the swimming...crowd was being all loud when the races are about to start.
    My daughter has a good friend who is Brazilian. This is all perfectly normal for them and they don't see an issue with it. They see themselves as boisterous, expressive people and don't really mean any ill will. My daughter is still surprised when her friend laughs at someone who has a mishap, though. Different cultures ....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    5 medals (2 gold, 1 silver & 2 bronze) so far for HELLAS

• Options

My daughter has a good friend who is Brazilian. This is all perfectly normal for them and they don't see an issue with it. They see themselves as boisterous, expressive people and don't really mean any ill will. My daughter is still surprised when her friend laughs at someone who has a mishap, though. Different cultures ....
    But they think it's ok to boo an athlete from another country? A very highly respected and thoroughly decent guy at that
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,358
    Watching Bolt run is like watching a master at work !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Watching Bolt run is like watching a master at work !

It really is crazy. It's like he doesn't even try.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Dude is as close to a cheetah a human can get
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    You guys think he'll run in Tokyo 2020
  • Options

How could he not? No one is even close to him right now. It's like Phelps claiming that he was retiring after London...
  • Options

How could he not? No one is even close to him right now. It's like Phelps claiming that he was retiring after London...
    Yeah no doubt ..
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495

Yes i do. I don't think he can stay out of the limelight.In 2020 I think he'll only be 33? Plus, ther might not anyone who can beat him then either. So, he may as well run again.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    cutz said:

Yes i do. I don't think he can stay out of the limelight.In 2020 I think he'll only be 33? Plus, ther might not anyone who can beat him then either. So, he may as well run again.
    I don't think he will in part because he HATES TRAINING. To be on top like he has one has to train and many many hours of it. He says he will run the world track events next year and possibly the next but Tokyo NO he will be 35 by then. He looks like he barely is trying because at 6ft 5 he takes far less strides due to that frame.....along with having speed to run. In HS his main event was the 400s but over time he ventured to 100 yard dash then mastered the 200 yard dash his favorite. Last night he tried to break his own WR in the 200 but came up a bit short therefore the vast victory distance to his rivals.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,687
    edited August 2016

But they think it's ok to boo an athlete from another country? A very highly respected and thoroughly decent guy at that
    I agree. Just because some behaviour is a "cultural thing" it doesn't mean that's okay. There are a lot of cultural practices that are completely fucked up and should to be changed - definitely room for improvement among Brazilians if they like to boo people like that. Super rude behaviour on a cultural level is no more acceptable. It's just the "but everybody does it" excuse IMO (of course, in the scheme of things, this particular cultural practice is very small potatoes in the context of fucked up cultural practices in the world).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    They should have gotten stoned instead of drunk...probably would have been less aggressive to that poor sign..may still have taken the piss but the sign would have survived...million dollar mistake if those sponsors and ad deals never happen. ..ouch.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,687
    It does actually sound like that were held at gunpoint and forced to give their cash to armed gunmen... armed security guards, that is, lol. Wow, I didn't know grown ups exaggerated events in this way. I really wish I knew what conversation they had on the way to the Olympic Village:
    "So.... what do you say we take what just happened and tell the world we were held up at gun point by robbers posing as cops with just a badge?"

"Sounds like an interesting plan, because what just happened back at that gas station was embarrassing. I think we need to fix it with a good story, duuh! But what about our stuff? I don't want to chuck my phone or my credentials. Wouldn't they have been stolen too?"

"Nah. We'll just say they let us keep everything besides our money and wallets."

"But my wallet is real rhino hide!"

"Come on brah! It's worth having this awesome story! I'll buy you a new wallet!"

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,195
    PJ_Soul said:

It does actually sound like that were held at gunpoint and forced to give their cash to armed gunmen... armed security guards, that is, lol. Wow, I didn't know grown ups exaggerated events in this way. I really wish I knew what conversation they had on the way to the Olympic Village:
    "So.... what do you say we take what just happened and tell the world we were held up at gun point by robbers posing as cops with just a badge?"

"Sounds like an interesting plan, because what just happened back at that gas station was embarrassing. I think we need to fix it with a good story, duuh! But what about our stuff? I don't want to chuck my phone or my credentials. Wouldn't they have been stolen too?"

"Nah. We'll just say they let us keep everything besides our money and wallets."

"But my wallet is real rhino hide!"

"Come on brah! It's worth having this awesome story! I'll buy you a new wallet!"

Hahaha!! On a roll Soul :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    hey lochte....those endorsement deals? forget it.

dope.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    g under p said:

cutz said:

I don't think he will in part because he HATES TRAINING. To be on top like he has one has to train and many many hours of it. He says he will run the world track events next year and possibly the next but Tokyo NO he will be 35 by then. He looks like he barely is trying because at 6ft 5 he takes far less strides due to that frame.....along with having speed to run. In HS his main event was the 400s but over time he ventured to 100 yard dash then mastered the 200 yard dash his favorite. Last night he tried to break his own WR in the 200 but came up a bit short therefore the vast victory distance to his rivals.

Peace

True, that he hates training. But, as much as he hates training he loves the limelight just as much. Actually he'll be 33, just shy of 34(Birth date is Aug. 21, 1986). I just saw his interview and he did say that's it, as far as the Olympics goes. He may decide as time gets closer to 2020, and see what the Times are and if thinks he can get that 10th Gold Medal(and break the record for most by a Track Athlete) he MAY be in Tokyo in 2020. Though, i HOPE he goes away and give someone else a chance of winning>LOL
  • Options
    He talked before about wanting to try the long jump, that could be fun :smile: